Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 16:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

Pic Set 3 : The Village Part 2

Pic 1: The Water Clock (One of the ancient technology to determine time)

Pic 2: Yours truly.

Pic 3: Replica Rosetta Stone- Found by French archaeologists accompanying Napolean at Rosetta (port Rashid). It contains same text in three languages- hieroglyphic, demotic and ancient Greek. It led to deciphering the hieroglyphic language and thereby understanding enormous scriptures found from the pharonic times. Original stone now lies in London.

Pic 4: Ancient painting.
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08126.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08131.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08137.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08154.jpg  

Last edited by TaureanBull : 18th June 2010 at 16:28.
Old 18th June 2010, 19:58   #32
BHPian

TB awesome photos. Particularly the Sphinx Photos. Egypt trip is my lifetime dream. Thanks for uploading primordial cultural pix.
Old 18th June 2010, 20:50   #33
Senior - BHPian

Nice! would like to see pics of everyday life as well. Seen pics of the ruins and pyramids in many places.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Pic Set 3 : Tomb Tutankhamun

Now I will post the last part of the Pharaonic Village visit. After the visit of the village we had gone to the Exhibits of Nasser/Sadat/Napolean, Islamic & Coptic Museums, Boat Museum. The camera not being permitted, there are no pics to show.

We spent some time in the Children's Park where we took the lunch and my daughter played for some time. In the end, we went for about half an hour ride in Yatch in the river Nile.

Later in the evening we returned by taxi-very happy, satisfied and tired.

Here, the pics are of the replica of tomb of Tutankhamun created in the village. The replica has been made after a lot of study and all the items are accurately built and placed as they were in the original tomb. Following is the link for more information :-

Egypt: Tomb of Tutankhamun (King Tut)

Pic 1 : Furniture for afterlife.

Pic 2 : As you see through the cutting in the right wall, you can see the golden sarcophagus.

Pic 3 : Canopic Jars kept in the Golden Box. These jars were also in the central plot of Movie "The Mummy". These are four in number. Each jar contains a particular mummified organ of body. This is kept separately from the mummy.
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08156.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08157.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc08162.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 21:01   #35
BHPian

Taureeanbull the pictures of Egypt were great. Pyramids were real huge. Any idea about how water clock works?
Old 18th June 2010, 21:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Nice! would like to see pics of everyday life as well. Seen pics of the ruins and pyramids in many places.
Its just the beginning. By the end of my stay here, Team-BHP members would be expert in history, present and future of Egypt. As of now, I am covering everything which I have already done. When I become up to date, then I will start with these specific posts.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by challa View Post
Taureeanbull the pictures of Egypt were great. Pyramids were real huge. Any idea about how water clock works?
What you see in the picture is an Alabaster vase and it has an orifice in the bottom of it. When it is filled with water, the water starts flowing from the orifice and the level of the water is lowered with time. If you see carefully you can see vertical rows of equally spaced twelve dots to indicate the twelve hours of the day/night.
Old 18th June 2010, 21:54   #38
BHPian

As many have stated It's a dream destination. Always been fascinated by Egypt.

Great pics and Travelogue , wish I will visit Egypt one day.
Old 19th June 2010, 19:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Lazy Morning in Cairo

Just see a morning sunrise pic in Cairo. The haziness you see is the pollution. Some of the days you can feel the dust and soot. Most of the days the morning is clear.

The pollution here is mainly consists of soot. There is no action on part of the government to reduce the pollution. No body bothers when petrol is Rs 8/- a litre.
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc07953.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc07954.jpg  

Old 20th June 2010, 06:35   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice, I realise I missed a lot but at time I was just glad to be out of there.
Old 20th June 2010, 20:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Egyptian Veg Pizza!!!

Ordered a home delivery pizza from Cook Door over internet. The pizza boy appeared at the door at the right time.Yep..it was warm.

Started eating..whats this funny taste??? Searched the pizza and found some funny type pieces in the topping. On close investigation its BEEF . Called up the Cook Door.. reply... well it was veg pizza may be a piece or two of meat. You are special customer!!! What he meant was since (may be) you could not afford a non-veg pizza in order to save time (by preparing a special veg topping) a pizza with few beef pieces was given to you as complimentary.

Well.. .
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc07889.jpg  

TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2010, 21:03   #42
Senior - BHPian

Very fascinating travelogue Taurean and great pics to go with it too ! Am eagerly waiting for you to continue on your escapades !
Old 20th June 2010, 21:06   #43
Senior - BHPian

Souvenirs

I saw these two bone china plates with pharaonic paintings. The wooden stand is complimentary .

Cost : LE 150/-. I will buy when I return from here. I will post a separate write up on the famous Souvenirs from Egypt some time later.

Any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09112.jpg  

My Egypt Days : Photologue-dsc09113.jpg  

Old 20th June 2010, 21:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Qalaah'-as-Salah-ad-Din

The Citadel

The citadel or commonly know as “Qalaa’-as-Salah-ad-Din” was our next outing. It is located on the Muqattam hill, one of the highest parts of Cairo. The citadel was built by Salah-ad-Din in the 12th Century to defend the city against the crusaders. The citadel went through numerous changes from that time onwards with each ruler adding/modifying a part or two it. The citadel is surrounded by high walls and provides an excellent view of the Cairo city.

Presently, the citadel complex houses the following:-

1. Mosque Mohd Aly Pascha (The landmark of the city with its silver dome).
2. Mosque Mohd-an-Nasir.
3. Al-Gawhara Palace. (closed for repairs).
4. View point.
5. War museum.
6. Police museum (closed at the time of the visit).

The Visit

Date : 26 March 2010
Mode : By Taxi as usual for LE 10 each way.
Tickets : LE 50/- per Adult.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 20th June 2010 at 21:38.
Old 20th June 2010, 22:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Qalaah'-as-Salah-ad-Din Part 2

We started off the visit at 10AM. But it was a wrong choice for the day. It was Friday-a holiday here and lots of people come here for namaz. So, it was crowded. The first place was Gawhara Palace but found it to be closed for repairs. The way repairs were going on it did not appear that it would finish in a year. We spent some time at the view point which was between the palace and Mohd Aly Pascha mosque.

As we were entering the mosque a young man offered us polythene covers for shoes to avoid taking of shoes. The idea seemed fine as there was no security for shoes and I was in no mood to walk around barefoot. The cost LE 10 (Rs 86/-). For three of us LE 30/- for paise 30 polythene!!! I can take risk now. The mosque is beautiful and pretty high with two minarets dominating the sky. The silver dome looked nice. However, it was covered by dust. There was a place to wash hands. Inside the mosque, in a corner was grave of Mohd Aly Pascha. There was a circular arrangement from olden times which was modified and in place of shmaa’ there were 60W bulbs. It looked great.

Next was the War museum which was located in the Mohd Aly Pascha Palace. There was an open museum with some equipments (tanks, guns, air craft) displayed-mainly from the Arab-Israel war 1973. The indoor museum had three floors and it started off with the pharaonic era. There were lots of weapons from all ages, dresses, means of transport etc. In the end, there were displays from Arab-Israel War 1973. Overall it was a decent effort.

Contd…..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks