Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:03   #61
Senior - BHPian

After the permit, which was quick, time to head straight to Khardung-La, first time I had no spare day in Leh. And I was on very tight schedule I decided to drop Nubra and keep Hanle on.

Another shot from Leh Palace
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2660.jpg

Heading to K-La
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2662.jpg

Gang having photo break
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2666.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2667.jpg

Machines
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2670.jpg

Machines and there drivers
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2674.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2677.jpg

Mr Safari, Varun, super cool guy
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2678.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2686.jpg

Traffice Jam before K-La, there was full mess, reminding me of Rohtang Pass, I pledged there and then, not to come to this place in peak hours
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2690.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2701.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2704.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2716.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2719.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2725.jpg

Last pic from the K-La, I was bit tired, and we had a little messy day today, thanks to little adventures Gang members, ending in a life threatening situation themselves
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2728.jpg
Old 23rd June 2010, 09:53   #62
BHPian

Hi Bharat, as I have said earlier, the pics are really awesome. I have a request for you. Could you please upload some snaps with higher resolution as my desktop is dying to get its wallpaper replaced. If you have upload these on Picasa etc, please provide the link. Thanks again for the awesome snaps.
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:03   #63
Senior - BHPian

What was the life threatening situation as mentioned by you in pic 2728??
Old 23rd June 2010, 10:24   #64
Senior - BHPian

Rajiv,
Wonderful photos here. How many more to go?? All the photos have come out very good.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:24   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Souvik, Jerry Cans are not worth, I only needed/tested one, and it leaked when filled to brim, I has to pack the cap with balloon, and that ensure no leaks or fumes.
Hi Rajiv,

Excellent photographs. Am pretty much hooked to this thread!
Just a quick question: Thanks to your information, I ordered and have already got two of those jerry cans from the same vendor in Kanpur. Am planning to use them for my trip to Ladakh. Are they really that bad, or was it because you filled it to the brim? When you say packed it with a balloon, how do you do that? And is it really worth the effort of taking it along?
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:28   #66
Team-BHP Support

I had cheap 100rs jerry cans(3). One broke(old one). The other two were slight leaky, so I filled them half and used a baloon to cover the top before plonking in the plastic pressure fit cap. This seals it somwhat, but remember, after getting hit with fuel the baloon starts disintegrating.
Old 23rd June 2010, 15:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Excellent photographs rkbharat. Loved the sea gull pics.
Can you add little more description along with the photolog please?
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:15   #68
akp
BHPian

Breathtaking photos, all of them. Take a bow.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:21   #69
BHPian

@Bharat, Brilliant photos friend.
Doing a great job with your D90.
Nostalgic feeling when I look at these pics. Ladakh is calling me back.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:23   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hi Bharat, as I have said earlier, the pics are really awesome. I have a request for you. Could you please upload some snaps with higher resolution as my desktop is dying to get its wallpaper replaced. If you have upload these on Picasa etc, please provide the link. Thanks again for the awesome snaps.
Hi Ami, I have not uploaded the high resolutions any where, but if you want anything pics on higher res, just PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
What was the life threatening situation as mentioned by you in pic 2728??
Some of the guys took the seriousness of altitude as low. There was a stoppage at south pullu for convoy and was estimate wait of 1 hrs. so some of the gang members decided to climb on foot, upto next upper road. With little hesitation I agreed to them. So I was alone in SX4 and Varun in Safari with another guy.

After half an hour of wait, checkpost was opened we were allowed to go. We drove at slow speed for some time to ensure we spot them. But could not find anywhere. We thought they might have taken a lift and we drove ahead for some more distance and waited for 10-15 minutes, we did this for 3-4 times but could not find any of them. That scared me. They climbed on the slope which had all snow and very difficult to identify the ditches below. And they were at very high altitude and no support gears at all.

On the other hand as we were spending too much time at altitude, I started feeling little restless, this was combined with longer stay at altitude and fear of worst. We decided to reach K-La and enquire around, reached K-La, asked alot of people but none of them spotted anybody on foot. This was not good news. we spent 3-4 minutes at pass and returned back. And there was a huge jam at the top. So practically we were at top for almost 3-4 hours, which is never recommended. So we deicded to drive back again and find them and go to lower altitude to feel better.

After coming down for almost 10 km, we found them standing on the side of the road, all exhausted and black faces. They had the worst experience of there life and recalled all there family members while climbing snow. Basically they initially thought it will be easy, but when they reached in the middle, they realized its too much soft snow, and in the middle getting down back much much difficult then climbing up. And they had no sticks to check snow at every step.

But then by god grace they were alive and lesson learned. They were not interested in K-La after that but I suggested them to take one car and go ahead they will not come very often. So these guys took safari back to k-la and we three came down to a low altitude and waited for them while having some maggi and tea.

Also the worst part was K-La was very very very bad with snow all over the road and nobody to navigate me through the stones and snow, I had to cross it all alone as the safari guys were little behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Rajiv,
Wonderful photos here. How many more to go?? All the photos have come out very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Hi Rajiv,

Excellent photographs. Am pretty much hooked to this thread!
Just a quick question: Thanks to your information, I ordered and have already got two of those jerry cans from the same vendor in Kanpur. Am planning to use them for my trip to Ladakh. Are they really that bad, or was it because you filled it to the brim? When you say packed it with a balloon, how do you do that? And is it really worth the effort of taking it along?
Ok here is my take on those Jerry Cans;

Good:
1. Solid Quality
2. Good locking mechanism
3. Will not break
4. much much better than plastic or old cans.
5. No messy look

Bad:
Might leak, I only tested one, may be that can was not good. and I filled it to top. So test them before.

And as Tanveer mentioned, be very very careful about balloon packing, it will wear off from inner side that might fall off inside the can. And when you transffering fuel from can, it will go into tank. Happened to me and I got scared

In nut shell, if you are ok with for the price, go ahead, feels less messy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Excellent photographs rkbharat. Loved the sea gull pics.
Can you add little more description along with the photolog please?
Sir sitting in Madrid with very less time

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Breathtaking photos, all of them. Take a bow.
Thanks dear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
@Bharat, Brilliant photos friend.
Doing a great job with your D90.
Nostalgic feeling when I look at these pics. Ladakh is calling me back.
Thanks Saji, D5000 and not D90
Old 24th June 2010, 08:15   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Some of the guys took the seriousness of altitude as low.
Mistake number 1. Were they first timer there?
Quote:
They climbed on the slope which had all snow and very difficult to identify the ditches below. And they were at very high altitude and no support gears at all............ Basically they initially thought it will be easy, but when they reached in the middle, they realized its too much soft snow, and in the middle getting down back much much difficult then climbing up. And they had no sticks to check snow at every step.
Mistake number 2 and close to death one.. If I may say so. What made them think that their system will work normally at that height?

I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh. But that's not a place to demonstrate heroism.
Quote:
Also the worst part was K-La was very very very bad with snow all over the road and nobody to navigate me through the stones and snow, I had to cross it all alone as the safari guys were little behind me.
Actually you've experienced pretty good weather. Us (we/Tanvir) been through total snow and slush.
That's the problem and beauty of Himalayas. It's unpredictable.. All the time.
Old 24th June 2010, 10:08   #72
Team-BHP Support

Wow, that was pretty stupid. At Kyun Tso we were driving, not exerting, but still we made it a point to ensure that we are not above 5000mts for more than a couple of hours!
AMS can hit anytime!
Old 24th June 2010, 12:41   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Mistake number 1. Were they first timer there?
yes, out of group of 9 people, 8 first timers and me 4th timer . Though I warned them about the seriousness of altitude and AMS, and somehow managed them without any medication, coca or Diamox. But did not wanted to behave like a mom. So warned them and backed-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Actually you've experienced pretty good weather. Us (we/Tanvir) been through total snow and slush.
That's the problem and beauty of Himalayas. It's unpredictable.. All the time.
Rudra ji, Khardung-La was bad, but Changla was worst, at places just before and after the changla, there was thick layer of ice and snow and car
was dancing a like a ball. I was feeling as if Steering was turning on its own, and PS was going crazy. At one place a huge hump of snow was created for 50 meters by army trucks. And I was sure I had to cut through, so went out, walked all over the snow to ensure no stone under it, and then built momentum with 1st gear, half clutch and just crushed through the snow. That was very scary, what if I missed any stone while doing the investigation. At one momentum I could see RPM near read lining around 6K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
AMS can hit anytime!
Very true, its stupid to exert on those altitudes.

Last edited by rkbharat : 24th June 2010 at 12:49.
Old 24th June 2010, 13:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Today was the day for Panong Tso and we had already decided to go and come back same day.

Beautiful horse or whatever we call, while heading to Chang La
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-dsc_2766.jpg

Morning shots from Shanti Guest House
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2731.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2732.jpg

On the way to Chang La
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2735.jpg

Mighty Chang-La, reaching there was one scary experience, and it snowed heavily while returning back
BTW I always respect forces people and hard work they do for the country, but this guy posted at Chang-La post, I guess had a bad day that day, he was very rude to everybody and to me. I was kind of holding my patience as I did not wanted to spoil my day. So I gave him the benefit of doubt that he had bad day
rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2737.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2742.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2745.jpg

Some better views after we crossed Chang-La

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2747.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2748.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2755.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2763.jpg

Last edited by rkbharat : 24th June 2010 at 13:19.
Old 24th June 2010, 14:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

As I was driving on smooth roads after Chang-La, Nikhil shouted, something moving far away, some animal. I parked car at pass way. We walked up-to it. And we found one the most friendly Marmot in my whole trips of Ladakh.

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2769.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2772.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2782.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2795.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2796.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2798.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2799.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2801.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2802.jpg

rkbharat's photolog for Leh 2010-pdsc_2804.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com