Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 21:07   #1
BHPian

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip

Hi all, I will be off to a trip tomorrow early morning to Murshidabad, malda and Balurghat. This will be a much awaited trip for my wife down her memory lane . We will be starting tomorrow morning at 5 am in our Swift, and drive to Ranaghat using NH-34 (our first halt), and meet my father-in-law (OC of Ranaghat police station), and drive to Krishnanagar for breakfast. We have lot of plans and expectations from this drive . Will definitely stay at Manjusha hotel in murshidabad. Hope we enjoy this trip as anticipated, considering the current weather at Kolkata and West Bengal. Will post pictures and the trip details soon.
Old 27th June 2010, 13:12   #2
BHPian

Day-1: We started early morning for the trip. As usual, left home an hour late than planned at 6 am. Started from Airport 2 no gate (our home), and took the NH 34, crossed Madhyamgram, barasat, and reached Ranaghat around 8 am. The road condition of NH 34 is excellent. After a 30 mins break in Ranaghat, we left on our journey. We reached Krishnanagar around 9 am and had our breakfast. The weather was awesome, with clouds all over. We reached Baharampur around 12 noon, crossed Farakka and finally Malda around 4 pm.
Old 27th June 2010, 19:59   #3
BHPian

would like to see some pictures.

how was the traffic on NH34?
Old 28th June 2010, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
Day-1: We started early morning for the trip. As usual, left home an hour late than planned at 6 am. Started from Airport 2 no gate (our home), and took the NH 34, crossed Madhyamgram, barasat, and reached Ranaghat around 8 am. The road condition of NH 34 is excellent. After a 30 mins break in Ranaghat, we left on our journey. We reached Krishnanagar around 9 am and had our breakfast. The weather was awesome, with clouds all over. We reached Baharampur around 12 noon, crossed Farakka and finally Malda around 4 pm.
>>>buntydey,

I assume you went northwards from the airport - isn't this the Jessore Road, adjacent to a locality called Birati? Does this road go to Bangladesh? Is it safe driving on this road?

A map of your route will help us understand the route that you took.
Regards
Old 28th June 2010, 22:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>buntydey,

I assume you went northwards from the airport - isn't this the Jessore Road, adjacent to a locality called Birati? Does this road go to Bangladesh? Is it safe driving on this road?

Regards
Hi issigonis, the below link is the route that I took. Yes, it is the Jessore road that goes past Birati. From barasat (Dak-bunglow crossing), we took the straight road. The left one goes to Bangladesh. The road is absolutely brilliant and safe (no Maoist infected area on the way). In fact, we started our journey back after sunset.

@arindam - I will be uploading the pics in a few moments.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>buntydey,

Regards
@issigonis - Here is the route that we took, all along it was NH 34 till Malda. http://maps.mapmyindia.com/?where=fr...engal&q=search

Last edited by buntydey : 28th June 2010 at 22:17.
Old 28th June 2010, 22:14   #7
BHPian

On our way near Baharampur...

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-_mg_0396.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-dpp_0001.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-dpp_0004.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-dpp_0006.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-dpp_0007.jpg
Old 29th June 2010, 00:10   #8
BHPian

Day-2: We left Malda early morning, and headed towards Balurghat. it is a town in South Dinajpur (right on the Bangladesh border), and 470 kms away from Kolkata. I had to admit that the road from Malda to Balurghat is one of the finest I have seen in West Bengal. Awesome road, with 5 feet on each side of the road as emergency roads (just like the interstates in USA). We stopped at Gangarampur to see the ancient ruins of Bangarh fort, which is currently being excavated by ASI. We then continued on our journey, and went to Hilli border. This is the only border I have seen where you can literally shake hands with the people from Bangladesh (sorry no pics as BSF did not allow us to take snaps). At sunset, we all relaxed to the comfort of our hotel (Balurghat Tourist Lodge), enjoying the excellent place and our holidays, and preparing for our next day trip to Murshidabad.

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-_mg_0396.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0437.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0438.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0447.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0448.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0475.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0532.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0542.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0555.jpg

Kolkata - Krishnanagar - Murshidabad - Malda - Balurghat Trip-img_0561.jpg
Old 29th June 2010, 00:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Long pending trip for me. Grandparents used to stay at Krishnanagar. Plan to visit to relive the memories.

Great to hear that it takes 3hrs to reach from Airport ! I stay near the airport too.
Old 29th June 2010, 11:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Long pending trip for me. Grandparents used to stay at Krishnanagar. Plan to visit to relive the memories.

Great to hear that it takes 3hrs to reach from Airport ! I stay near the airport too.
I stay near Airport gate no 2. Where do you stay? Yes, if you leave early morning, you should be there in under 3 hours.
Old 29th June 2010, 13:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Hi issigonis, the below link is the route that I took. Yes, it is the Jessore road that goes past Birati. From barasat (Dak-bunglow crossing), we took the straight road. The left one goes to Bangladesh. The road is absolutely brilliant and safe (no Maoist infected area on the way). In fact, we started our journey back after sunset.

@arindam - I will be uploading the pics in a few moments.
Quote:
@issigonis - Here is the route that we took, all along it was NH 34 till Malda. MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!
>>> Thank you bunty. The route map makes it simple. The pics are very nice- keep them coming. I have noticed without exception that the monsoon makes each nook and cranny of our large country look verdant and beautiful.

There is a place called Nimtita ( off Aurangabad, which is on the NH34) where Ray's Jalsaghar was shot; in fact the idea of the story by the author was inspired by the zamindari family in Nimtita- wondering about the Nimtita palace- does it still stand? (Off topic)

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 29th June 2010 at 13:16.
Old 30th June 2010, 00:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I stay near Airport gate no 2. Where do you stay? Yes, if you leave early morning, you should be there in under 3 hours.
On VIP road, roughly opposite Haldiram's.

Are there any toll plaza's on the way to Krishnanagar?
Old 30th June 2010, 09:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
On VIP road, roughly opposite Haldiram's.

Are there any toll plaza's on the way to Krishnanagar?
Nope, no toll at all. cheers!!
Old 5th July 2010, 14:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Interesting pics. Can you give us a little detail about this Bangarh fort? Who built it? In which year?

Also a few pics of the guest house would be appreciated. These are out of the ordinary destinations around Kolkata, and your detailed reviews will help us relive these trips.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:49   #15
BHPian

Good start Bunty and very nice photos. Good to see the NH 34 in good shape. I traveled along it during my trip to Dooars in Jan this year. Your pics made me nostalgic about my trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks