Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2010, 22:35   #1
BHPian

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore

Hi. Not really sure whether this qualifies as a travelogue, but I'm sure the mods will keep me honest.

Having taken a mid-year resolution to explore the environs of Bangalore more seriously, I decided to start by setting out every Sunday morning to explore the city and nearby areas of the city, and slowly move further afield. Started two weeks ago with a drive to BIAL to explore the Hoskote approach (briefly touched upon in this post : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ake-nh207.html ), thereafter went up to Ooty for a quick trip last week (comments here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ty-coonor.html ), but decided that it was time to start a thread and start slowly building up on it week by week.

For this week, I decided to keep it simple. A circumnavigation of the city, to get my bearings right, as it were. The initial plan was to do a chukker of the ring roads, but a quick glance of the Google Earth picture revealed that the ring roads between Silk Board Junction and Tumkur Road were not as clearly demarcated as the ones I normally use (Hebbal to Marathalli). So, expanded the scope a bit, and decided to do the following route :

Marathalli Ring Road > ORR to Sarjapur Road > Hosa Road > NICE Road > Tumkur Road > ORR to Hebbal Interchange > ORR to Old Madras Road > ORR to Marathalli.

The wife had already indicated non-availability due to some maid turnover issues. Offspring was approached, but was loath to give up her last day of getting up late before school reopened. The dog was keen and willing as always, but was vetoed by GHQ on account of new car being taken. Finally asked my father-in-law whether he would come, and was happy when he agreed, as he is always great company.

Set course from CV Raman Nagar at 0700, and made it to Whitefield in 20 minutes. Stopped at the Shell bunk at Thubarahalli on Airport Road to top up, and was disconcerted to find a good seven bucks difference from the regular outlets. Anyway, Shell is Shell, so topped up and set off.

Had a fairly hi-tech layout of stuff in the car. The old BT-328 GPS (working well) - running Google Earth on laptop on car charger / AC adaptor was the main Navigational aid, with my trusty Nokia E71 running Google Maps and MMI as the standby kit. Needless to say, as always, the Nav Systems worked flawlessly for the first ten minutes, and collapsed the moment we required them at Sarjapur for reasons unknown. (Snag analysis in progress as we speak). The E71 continued to retain lock, and was called upon to provide assistance wherever required.

Leg 1 : Marathalli to Sarjapur Road was absolutely clear except for some crazy weaving traffic. At the Sarjapur Road intersection with the ORR there is a flyover under construction, so we had a little bit of negotiating rough road to do before hitting the service road and the eventual left onto the Sarjapur Road. Signposting of this bit was barely adequate.

Leg 2 : Sarjapur Road was surprisingly busy at 0800 on a Sunday morning. The short stretch to Hosa road was full of all sorts of traffic and pedestrians, and made it interesting. The Hosa road turnoff was not marked as such, but was clearly marked for Electronic City. The first kilometer on the Hosa Road was narrow and full of an amazing plethora of speed breakers, single, double and even one triple specimen. A quick look at the roadside shops revealed that we were on Kasavanahalli Main Road, so needed to stop and recheck Google Maps to indeed confirm that this would become Hosa Road shortly. That did happen. The use of Hosa Road to come out at Hosur Road close to the NICE junction was convenient, and would have been great if it wasn't for the over-generous use of speedbreakers on this stretch.

Leg3 : This was to be a short leg, turning left onto the Hosur Road and a quick turnoff in less than a kilometer onto the NICE road. Hitting the Hosur Road was easy enough, and the left turn was executed with no problems. In fact, things were so smooth that the GPS et al was stowed neatly away. This was the cue for things to go wrong. The road under the elevated highway was dead clear, and the only doubt was whether to stay on the main road or keep to the service road. In the event, I chose the main road, which was probably a mistake. I noticed the sign for Mysore Rd / Tumkur Rd etc to the left, but missed the actual exit ramp for the NICE road itself, and continued for another km in the general direction of Hosur. With a general sense of disquiet at the fact that the turnoff should surely have come by now, we pulled up and consulted the trusty GPS. Seeing the elevated highway coming to an end, we realised we were at Electronic city, and had come too far. Carefully pulled back in to the right lane, and waited patiently at a red light to make a U-turn back in the opposite direction. Come the green, carefully turned round, and were promptly flagged down by a cop who could barely contain his glee at getting the first catch of the day. Handed over my license and tried to explain that U-turn Verboten was not posted. He listened patiently, and pointed out through a surprisingly understandable mixture of Kannada and Hindi that I had turned at the straight green, but actually should have waited for the right green to turn. I finally got it, apologized, was Blackberried and paid up without further demur. He waved us on our way, and was kind enough to explain the way to get back on the NICE road. A km or so down we saw the NICE turnoff and were through the gates in a flash.

Leg4. The NICE road was great. If I was to quibble, the road condition could have been a tad better, but all in all it was a great experience. Was surprised at the number of two wheelers on the road, but I suppose it's a free country. Saw quite a few serious cycling enthusiasts getting their exercise in as well. Two bits marred the experience, the chaos at Gottigerehalli (Bannerghatta Road), and a small stretch after Kanakpura Road. To cut a long story short, the NICE road was nice, and the i20 got to stretch her legs in 6th gear at a rock steady 120 almost all the way through.

Leg 5. Tumkur Road was a shock, especially after the NICE experience. Lots of work on for the entire stretch from Nelamangala all the way till the ORR turnoff. I'm sure when it comes up the road will be great, elevated highway and all, but right now it is hell on wheels. Fortunately this bit lasted for only about 8 km. The signposting for the turnoff for the ORR was poor, with just a sign indicating a left turn for Hebbal and Yelahanka being the clue.

Leg 6. The initial bit of the ORR looked like a village road, and led to some doubt whether we were on the right road after all. Crossed a couple of railway tracks (that must be real fun in rush hour traffic !!) and suddenly things looked a bit better. The rest of the road till Hebbal Interchange was reasonable, except for a large number of traffic lights which slowed things down a bit.

Leg 7. The ORR from Hebbal to OMR was reasonable, except for a bit of work on at two or three places for underpasses. Sunday morning traffic was okay, and eventually I suppose the work will lead to things getting better, but I know the potential for absolute chaos at the crossings from bitter experience.

Leg 8. OMR to the ORR was the ususal chaos at the KR Puram Hanging bridge in spite of the pedestrian walkway, and the KR Puram railway station (which nothing can improve). Once we got onto the ORR it was smooth sailing to Marathalli except for a little trouble where the work for the new Mahadevapura flyover has commenced.

Marathalli to Marathalli was 97 km on the clock, and achieved in a total on road time of just under two hours. The only major mistake I made here was not to top up again at the Shell bunk and check mileage.

All in all a nice Sunday morning effort, with us back in time for a hearty Sunday breakfast. Didnt get the cam out to take pics, which I shall surely do (and geotag) the next time around. If anybody wants the KMZs for the various junctions, let me know and I can upload them.

Watch this space !
Old 21st June 2010, 06:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

The only place where ORR really chokes (as if it does not choke anywhere else!) is at the railway crossing which comes between Tumkur Road and Hebbal. You will long see line of trucks parked there and chaos reigning supreme!

Did you have any experience like that? I never get to use that part of the stretch.
Old 21st June 2010, 07:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sunday mornings are a blessing to drive around in Banaglore. Almost zilch traffic. Since you are at the expedition, you should try to reach Sarjapur via electronic city road towards Atibele, but a left before Atibele. This would avoid the 25 humps in 5 kms road and you could enjoy the scenic and curvilacious road as well.
Old 21st June 2010, 08:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Sunday mornings are a blessing to drive around in Banaglore. Almost zilch traffic. Since you are at the expedition, you should try to reach Sarjapur via electronic city road towards Atibele, but a left before Atibele. This would avoid the 25 humps in 5 kms road and you could enjoy the scenic and curvilacious road as well.
Add to it: A set of Hot Idly/Vada/Pongal/Kara Bath + Coffee at a Darshini/Sagar.
This on a Misty Morning! How is that to start the day!

To add to the roads, as you mentioned try Dobbaspet section of NH207. Drive towards Devrayandurga (off the NH4)
and enjoy the setting. You will never need to drive on NH4. The moment you land at Dobbaspet, take another sideroad
towards Devarayandurga.

Here is the link:

Varthur Rd to SH 3 - Google Maps

I have just marked an arbitrary point on SH13 towards Devarayanadurga (since it does not show in Google maps).
This is just to indicate, you dont have to get on NH4 and the route direction to the place.

The roads is very well marked for all the destinations.
(You will find: Karnataka:One State Many World Boards all over the place).

If you permit, I can add some snaps to show you how nice the place is.
It also does not take an effort to go there (~90Km from Marathahalli)!

But yes the temple wont be open, which it does only by ten. To enjoy the place you need be there by 7.
(Note : No food on the way. Carry your own)

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2010 at 08:21.
Old 21st June 2010, 08:20   #5
BHPian

merged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The only place where ORR really chokes (as if it does not choke anywhere else!) is at the railway crossing which comes between Tumkur Road and Hebbal. You will long see line of trucks parked there and chaos reigning supreme!

Did you have any experience like that? I never get to use that part of the stretch.
No, its actually the first time I've been on that bit of road. Sunday morning was okay, but it just struck me a bit odd that if the ORR is meant to ease the smooth flow of heavy traffic, then putting two level crossings in close proximity on that stretch surely wouldn't achieve that aim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Thats on my list for the next round, Pervez. I've done the Attibele > Sarjapura > Varthur > Whitefield, which is nice, traffic wise, but a bit long. This time around I'll try the Whitefield > Varthur > Dommasandra > Bommasandra ?? or some such road, emerging on Hosur Road midway between Attibele and Electronic City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Add to it: A set of Hot Idly/Vada/Pongal/Kara Bath + Coffee at a Darshini/Sagar.
This on a Misty Morning! How is that to start the day!

To add to the roads, as you mentioned try Dobbaspet section of NH207. Drive towards Devrayandurga (off the NH4)
and enjoy the setting. You will never need to drive on NH4. The moment you land at Dobbaspet, take another sideroad
towards Devarayandurga.

Here is the link:

Varthur Rd to SH 3 - Google Maps

I have just marked an arbitrary point on SH13 towards Devarayanadurga (since it does not show in Google maps).
This is just to indicate, you dont have to get on NH4 and the route direction to the place.

The roads is very well marked for all the destinations.
(You will find: Karnataka:One State Many World Boards all over the place).

If you permit, I can add some snaps to show you how nice the place is.
It also does not take an effort to go there (~90Km from Marathahalli)!

But yes the temple wont be open, which it does only by ten. To enjoy the place you need be there by 7.
(Note : No food on the way. Carry your own)

Many thanks, Ampere.

Thats going straight on my list.

Pics are welcome.

Last edited by ajmat : 21st June 2010 at 09:27. Reason: please use the multiquote facility instead of separate posts
Old 21st June 2010, 09:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Here goes.

Some snaps take at Devarayanadurga.

I did not make it blue. That's nature's colours!
Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0121.jpg

Here are the rest!

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0122.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0118.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0113.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0109.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-dsc02656.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-dsc02654.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-dsc02653.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-dsc02612.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0127.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0126.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0124.jpg

Sunday Mornings in Bangalore-image0123.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 21st June 2010 at 09:01.
Old 21st June 2010, 09:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Planning for a drive to Banglore in july 1st week.I have to reach Bidadi that is on Mysore road so I want to know the traffic on the road from the Hebbal to Kengeri stretch.Is it worth take this road or from Yelhanka to Neelmangala and take the Nice road.
Old 21st June 2010, 10:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The ORR stretch between Tumkur Rd and BEL circle better be avoided all the times for the Railway crossings on the way. Adding to this is the width of the road that suddenly becomes two laned passing through a village area as well as the defence land near the railway crossing. There is absolutely no sign whatsoever of any plan for a ROB in the near future!!
Two ways to touch BEL circle from Tumkur Road:
1. Take left at Jalahalli cross signal on Tumkur Road, head straight towards Gangamma Cicle and take right to reach BEL circle on ORR rd.
2. Just before a KM from Goreguntepalya signal(Tumkur Road Intersection with ORR), deviate left and continue to pass HMT Grounds and reach BELCircle on ORR.
Incidentally, both these internal roads have ROB's!!
Getting stuck at the Railway gates on ORR is the worst of an experience during peak hours.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:46   #9
BHPian

Nice thread modthomas.

Please add snaps ,as well as screenshots of maps.That'll help fellow T-BHPians.
The ORR is not a ring infact.So it gives slight confusion in the joints.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The ORR stretch between Tumkur Rd and BEL circle better be avoided all the times for the Railway crossings on the way.
Getting stuck at the Railway gates on ORR is the worst of an experience during peak hours.

I travelled on this road i.e. from Hebbal to Tumkur road last weekend at 3.45 PM. The traffic was pretty less and not a problem at this time. So depending on the time on this stretch one should decide whether to take this route or not.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks paragsachania and anup I have stayed in Banglore for 8years but these new roads are always a confusion and I really hate to get stranded in the city traffic after a long drive from Hyderabad. Mostly I may be crossing Hebbal to Tumkur side around 10-11 am during the peak hours.I was going through the google map still was not able to figure out your directions Paragsachania sorry.
Old 21st June 2010, 14:04   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
I travelled on this road i.e. from Hebbal to Tumkur road last weekend at 3.45 PM. The traffic was pretty less and not a problem at this time. So depending on the time on this stretch one should decide whether to take this route or not.
Lucky you buddy! It would depend on what time the trains pass over the ORR as this is more precisely when the stretch becomes a mess. It has so happened to me over the past that a traffic free ride on a day on this stretch at a specific time was full of jams another day. At times the jam is only to welcome a lone diesel loco chugging away to glory after a 15 min wait!!!
Old 21st June 2010, 15:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am impressed by the pictures on display here. Longing for more. Thanks for sharing.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Nice thread modthomas.

Please add snaps ,as well as screenshots of maps.That'll help fellow T-BHPians.
The ORR is not a ring infact.So it gives slight confusion in the joints.
@ Shoemaker. Thanks, and will do ASAP.

@ Ampere - fabulous pics - that's my next jaunt for sure
Old 21st June 2010, 18:59   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post

@ Ampere - fabulous pics - that's my next jaunt for sure
@modthomas,

All the waterbodies apart from image 109 are about 10-20 Km further than the turning to Devrayanadurga on the state highway.

Some of these are not view points, but self discovered.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks