Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 21:45   #1
BHPian

One Day Trip-Bangalore to Halebidu

Bellur & Halebidu in karnataka were two places which were on our travel plan for quite long time because of their archeological importance in karnataka,but we never got a good reason to do this trip. at last a week end we started towards these historic places.

So one Sunday we started towards these places @ 5am.

The Route Taken :-
Marthahalli-yeshwanthpur(ORR)–tumkur highway–hassan–Bellur
Road condition:-
Marthahalli-yeshwanthpur(ORR)–Excellent road condition.Minor Truck traffic.
From yeshwantpur took tumkur highway –This road had Elevated high way construction going on–heavy traffic–and lot of deviations.

After around 10-15 kms on tumkur high way we took the left deviation from were the mangalore highway starts.From here road till hassan is getting widened.-Good road condition -Moderate to heavy traffic.–lot of lane deviations.
Hassan to bellur roads were beautiful–filled with scenary–I loved this route–the traffic too was very little.

1st Destination:-Bellur Chenakeshava temple:-

Situated in the heart of the city this star shaped temple is 800 years old.This temple was made by the hoyasala kings and it took 3 generations & 103 years to built this masterpiece .Chenna keshava means handsome krsihna & as the name depicts it is a vishnav temple were pooja and other rituals are carried out every day.Each and every stone in this temple was dying to tell there own story.We hired a guide here who explained the major attractions of the temple.

This temple is filled with amazing sculptures.Each one of them were rich in there details & it was a wonderful experience to watch these..Each and every sculpture here is a mater peice be it the darpan sundarii also known as the lady with the mirror.

or be it the extraordinary sculpture of the lady with drums.

watch out the drums she is holding in her hands.The thread like effect is given in the stone making the entire structure 3D.
The entire temple is filled up with such master pieces that this blog cannot do justice to each one of them.
I strongly recommend any one visting these places to hire a guide for them since they make the temple come alive.
2nd Destination:-Halebidu Temple:-
13 kms from bellur stands another hoysala master peice namely halebidu temple.surrounded by a green lush garden this temple is a shiv temple which also has mesmerising sculptueres all around

Here we were not able to hire a guide because of the time constraints but it didn’t stop us from getting some of the amazing work on camera..

We took almost 4 hours to see both these temples and it was a feist of splendid sculptures which greeted us in these temples.

we started our journey back to Bangalore around 2 pm.
We stopped at hassan on our way back to have our lunch from kadmba.the food was ok & nothing great.
Then it was a 4 hour non stop drive back to bangalore & touched our home @ 7:00 pm.
The best time to visit these places is in the month of July-August because that is the time when rain gods play hide & seek in these regions and that adds a magical touch to the entire journey and also to these places.
Old 22nd June 2010, 06:58   #2
Team-BHP Support

Sreehari, Offlate you have been having lots of fun looks like!
Or is it that all these travels were done in past and you are just penning then down now?

Nice snaps. During one of my visits to this place I forgot my camera!
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sreehari, Offlate you have been having lots of fun looks like!
Or is it that all these travels were done in past and you are just penning then down now?

Nice snaps. During one of my visits to this place I forgot my camera!
Thanks Ampere.yes some of the travels have been done in the past & i am just penning them down now.
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:25   #4
BHPian

Re: One Day Trip-Bangalore to Halebidu

Hi Shreehari,
Nice description I plan to visit these places in the coming week.
Did you visit Shravanbelgola in between ? did it come in the way which you took ? is it possible to cover shravanbelgola-bellur-halebidu in one day ?
If I understand correctly, Tumkur Road would be a right after the BEL signal ( & railway crossing ), left side takes us to back side of Yeshwantpur station ?

~ Nishan
Old 4th October 2011, 14:10   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Hi Shreehari,
Nice description I plan to visit these places in the coming week.
Did you visit Shravanbelgola in between ? did it come in the way which you took ? is it possible to cover shravanbelgola-bellur-halebidu in one day ?
If I understand correctly, Tumkur Road would be a right after the BEL signal ( & railway crossing ), left side takes us to back side of Yeshwantpur station ?

~ Nishan
Hi NIshan,

yes,Shravanbelgola comes in between ,its actually between bangalore and Hassan.
I guess its possible to cover all the three places in one day if you start like really early, i mean like in the range of 4am and make sure that the climb at shravanabelogola don't tire you down.
and yes you are also right about the tumkur road.But be sure to take the toll road,i guess its an elevated highway and you should not miss the exit from this highway to take the devaition towards mangalore.
The exit is the 2nd one after the toll booth.The intial 120 kms of Bangalore-Hassan stretch is beautiful and can easily cruise at 120kmph.
Have a fun ride and ya looking forward for your travelouge too.
shreehari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2013, 13:17   #6
BHPian

Hello Sreehari

Thanks for this info. I am super excited that I just got registered on Team BHP and am planning for a day trip to Belur, Halebidu and may be also Sravanabilagala on my new Polo.

Could you please suggest the best way to exit from the City, given that I stay in HSR Layout. Is Bannerghatta Road> Nice Road a better option to hit Tumkur Road?

I am planning to Start at around 5 AM in the morning and visit all the 3 places and reach back to Bangalore at around 9-10 PM. If it gets too tiring am ok not to visit Sravanabilagola.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyb4u View Post
Could you please suggest the best way to exit from the City, given that I stay in HSR Layout. Is Bannerghatta Road> Nice Road a better option to hit Tumkur Road?

I am planning to Start at around 5 AM in the morning and visit all the 3 places and reach back to Bangalore at around 9-10 PM. If it gets too tiring am ok not to visit Sravanabilagola.
If you are starting at 5am, I think no need of going via NICE road. There will be less traffic in city and you can cross without much issues. Please note that NICE toll has increased, its ~Rs.120/- now for BG road to Tumkur road section.

Last Sunday I went up to Shravanabelegola and road is very good. I didn't plan Belur/Halebidu along with that as I started around 10:15am only.
RajeshK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 10:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Take ORR all the way. Drive past Silk Board till Jayadeva. Get on BG road and take the ORR again (take right on BG road where ORR starts again after the discontinuity). Drive on till you hit NH4.

Route Link
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2013, 00:16   #9
BHPian

From HSR Layout to Yeshwantpur/Tumkur Road, there are three options -
a) NICE road - take it from Hosur Road connector (not Bannerghata Road)
b) ORR - as ampere suggested
c) Cut through the city - Hosur Road - Queens Road - Sankey Tank - IISC - Yeshwantpur

Given your start time 5 am, I would prefer city route. Distance wise it is shortest, and most probably will be the fastest too in the morning.
Old 4th July 2013, 00:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it gets too tiring am ok not to visit Sravanabilagola.
I would say skip halebidu and visit shravanabelugola and belur. Belur and halebidu are almost the same and if you appoint a guide in Belur, they would pretty much explain the story in Halebidu too. Having a guide at belur is a must though, else you will miss the fun.

I have been to all three places and hence the suggestion.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 11:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Sreehari

Thanks for this info. I am super excited that I just got registered on Team BHP and am planning for a day trip to Belur, Halebidu and may be also Sravanabilagala on my new Polo.

You can do all the three places. Do carru umbrellas and be careful in Shravanabelgola when you climb as it may be slippery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I would say skip halebidu and visit shravanabelugola and belur. Belur and halebidu are almost the same and if you appoint a guide in Belur, they would pretty much explain the story in Halebidu too. Having a guide at belur is a must though, else you will miss the fun.

I have been to all three places and hence the suggestion.
While i agree that both Belur and Halebidu are similar, Halebidu is larger and is away from the hustle bustle of town and the setting is lovely. Dont miss it. Take a look at this photologue of Halebid. It is magnificent.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hitecture.html
Old 5th July 2013, 15:28   #12
BHPian

hi guys,

Had a quick query, If I fly down from Bombay to Bangalore and hire a cab, is it possible to cover both these destinations (Belur and Halebidu) within the weekend.

My probable itinary would be

Saturday early morning : fly to Bangalore
Reach Bangalore & hire a cab
Cover Belur and Halebidu over the weekend
Sunday evening (8 PMish) fly back to Bombay
Monday Morning (Back to work)

Is this possible ?

Can I cover any other place within this time scale along with Belur and Hale bidu ?

Regards
Ritesh
Old 5th July 2013, 15:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Can I cover any other place within this time scale along with Belur and Hale bidu ?
Yes, you can cover both the places. It'll take around 4 hours from Bangalore to reach Belur or Halebidu.
Old 5th July 2013, 17:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
hi guys,

Had a quick query, If I fly down from Bombay to Bangalore and hire a cab, is it possible to cover both these destinations (Belur and Halebidu) within the weekend.

My probable itinary would be

Saturday early morning : fly to Bangalore
Reach Bangalore & hire a cab
Cover Belur and Halebidu over the weekend
Sunday evening (8 PMish) fly back to Bombay
Monday Morning (Back to work)

Is this possible ?

Regards
Ritesh
You can do it easily. Saturday night you can spend in a homestay/resort in Chikmagalur/Sakleshpur among coffee plantation, catch late night or early morning flight back to bombay.

However to do justice to the flight cost, I would suggest to look for a 3 day week-end, where you can spend little more time in the resort/homestay.
Old 5th July 2013, 19:43   #15
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can definitely do this but I would suggest you reach Bangalore on Friday evening/night. You can travel by cab (start early morning) on Saturday.

On the way you can visit Shravanabelagola and then stay at Hassan.

Post lunch, maybe around 3pm, go to Halebidu and Belur.

You can leave by Sunday late morning/noon and reach Bangalore by evening for the flight back to Bombay.

However, if you have another day to spare, you can spend Sunday at Hassan (Hoysala Village resort was good when we did a similar trip) and leave on Monday morning to Bangalore, board a late afternoon/evening flight back to Bombay.

Last edited by NPV : 5th July 2013 at 19:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks