Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 22:37   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Coorg trip.

Amidst of lot of confusions and uncertainties this trip was planned & executed.
Route:-Bangalore–kengarii–Srirangapatanam–Hunsur byepass–kushal nagar–Madikeri.

Day 1:-Time :- 09.00 am
Starting point:-Marthahalli,Bangalore.
Destination:-Coorg:-

We started as per plan from bangalore,with a few breaks in between we hit srirangapatnam around 1:00 pm.Our first destination was the Tibetan settlement.From srirangapatnam we took the right deviation towards the ranganatittu bird sanctuary.This road directly takes you to the Mysore-Hunsur highway(SH88).The road from bangalore mysore highway to the hunsur highway was narrow but with very little patches so it was almost a hour drive through small villages before we hit SH88.This state highway was almost like the well known bangalore-mysore highway.well maintained & surrounded by beautiful scenery.You can byepass the hunsur city by taking the byepass road & that will lead you towards kushalnagar.This road is also nice but we did have some trouble reading sign boasrds in kannada.But our national GPS system helped us a lot..Don’t know what is our national GPS–say the name of the place u wanna go & put a question mark on your face.I bet that will work any were in india.By the time we reached the Tibetan settlement it was 3:00.This place is just before kushalnagar,A big arch on your left on the highway will lead you to this place.There are frequent sign boards also to help here..This place greeted us with its1 scenic beauty & an un explained feeling of peace .This settlement gives a glimpse of Tibet with Buddhist monks all over the place.The Golden temple here is pretty much famous & We were lucky enough to attend a ritual carried out in Golden temple

You can shop for some unique Tibetan items here. We spent almost 3 hours here & by 6:00 pm we left this place.Next destination was madikeri
which was around 25 kms from here but then the roads from kushalnagar to madikerii gave me a hard time they were so pathetic that it took us almost 2 hours to reach madikeri.Madikerii also known as coorg is a small town which was almost going to sleep by the time we reached there.Our home stay guy was already waiting for us there & he took us to his place.The stay was pretty neat and well maintained.After taking some rest we went to a near by restaurant raj darshan to have our dinner.The food was ok & guess it was one of the best options available .After dinner it was time for a little chat & then slowly we retired.

Day2:-
Time :- 06.00 am

A hot coffee from the coffee plantations greeted us in the morning.It was 6:00 in the morning and the 1st destination we planned to visit was Raja’s seat which was hardly 500 mts from the home stay.This is actually is a view point from were the raja himself used to come and spent time in the olden days and hence the name rajas seat.

We walked around this place and spent some good time capturing pictures.We returned back to the house by around 8:00 am and we were served our break fast.After Break fast the next destination was Bagmandala ,38 km from madikeri, this is the Sangam point of 3 rivers & a temple exists here.-The roads are not great & not that bad as well.The next point was Talacauvery which was the Birth place of river cauvery its 8 kms from bagmandala & 46 kms frm madikeri there is a small temple present here were we prayed and witnessed few poojas.

After spending some time in the temple we proceded to the view point adjacent to the temple this gave us more than enough physical activity and most of us were struggling to breath because of the steep climb.

It was afternoon by the time we left talacauvery and the next plan was to visit Abby falls which was 5kms from madikeri.We had to come back to madikerii & then proceed to abbey,The Road from madikerii to Abbey were pretty bad & are too narrow,add to that the local drivers who drive recklessly through these roads.In short i was tested of my driving skills on these roads.It was almost by 5 that we reached abbey.It was a picturesque fall which is best visited during Rains.we had a good time taking some photographs here

we returned back to madikeri by 6:30 pm.That night we went again back to raja’s seat.There was a toy train track running there along with a childerns park adjacent to it.We spent time re visiting our good old chilhood

and then slowly retired back.

Day3:-
Time :- 08.30 am
Starting point:-Madikerii

Destination:-Bangalore.

Once again a Hot cup of Coffee straight out of the garden greeted us in the morning.But today was supposed to be the end of a beautiful trip and we were hating the mere thught of going back to the cubicles.But every good thing had to come to an end one day & that was true with this also .We finished our breakfast and stared our way back by 7:00 am .We had plan to vsit nisarghdhama on our way back which was again near to kushla nagar.we reached nisarghdhama around 10:00 am.It was a small island with some nice scenary around.

There was a small river near by were we spent time playing in the water.It was a good place worth a visit and also this place had yeilded couple of good photgraphs as well.The tree houses here were a pretty nice experience.I had a tough time climbing up & down the tree house thanks to my fear of heights but over all it was a great experience.

After spending around 2 hours here by 12:00 we started our journey back and hit bangalore by around 5:30 pm. That again marked the end of a beautiful trip.

As some one had truely said.
“Travel is the frivolous part of serious lives, and the serious part of frivolous ones.”

Trip @ a glance
Days taken :-3 days & 2 night.
Route taken:-Bangalore–kengarii–Srirangapatanam–Hunsur byepass–kushal nagar–Madikeri.
Places visited:-Tibetian settlement,Rajas seat,Talacauvery,Abby falls,Nisarghdhama.
Place to stay:-Home stay. Mr.Sujith(09448217105).
Place to eat:-Rajdarshan near to Raja’s seat.
Old 22nd June 2010, 06:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

Simple, neat & great. Nice one.
Quote:
The Road from madikerii to Abbey were pretty bad & are too narrow,add to that the local drivers who drive recklessly through these roads.In short i was tested of my driving skills on these roads
Ya, I wish the government does something atleast to the tourist spots. Think about the road to Brindavan Garden. I don't know why they don't do anything. With the revenue they get from parking itself they can make this better. But will they?
Old 22nd June 2010, 06:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Simple, neat & great. Nice one.

Ya, I wish the government does something atleast to the tourist spots. Think about the road to Brindavan Garden. I don't know why they don't do anything. With the revenue they get from parking itself they can make this better. But will they?
The other issue with that place (parking at Abby falls) is if you park very close, its very difficult to take a U and come back. If you park last, its on a steep incline.
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:31   #4
BHPian

Nice Travelogue! Coorg is a great place in this season. You guys had very calm drive with no hurries to reach the destination, which is very good.

Can you please post few pics and some review of the home stay. Also info on food and prices.
Old 22nd June 2010, 09:49   #5
BHPian

Had been to madikere a month back. Apart from a bad patch just after kushal Nagar, road was pretty good all the way till Madikere. I guess the monsoon must taken its toll on the roads
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

More details on homestay please, read that you had dinner from hotel after reaching homestay. Coorg homestays are known for their mouhwatering local food, did your homestay provide any?
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:08   #7
BHPian

Nice travelogue there. How is the weather in Coorg ?
Hope you had a great time, I somehow get bugged up with mysore road, because I travel on that every day :( I wish Bidadi was closer to bangalore he he
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Nice Travelogue! Coorg is a great place in this season. You guys had very calm drive with no hurries to reach the destination, which is very good.

Can you please post few pics and some review of the home stay. Also info on food and prices.
As i told the home stay belonged to Mr.Sujith(09448217105).He works there for some company and this home stay is just above his own house.
The home stay is pretty good one which has 2 bedrooms,one big hall & a kitchen.I didn't take any snaps of the home stay from outside ,but yeah have this one from the inside..
Bangalore to Coorg trip.-coorg-homestay.jpg

The hosts were very good to us and we enjoyed the stay there.The charge for the house was around 2500 per night which included morning breakfast which was very delicious,they also served us some local delicacies whose name i am not able to recall but was very tasty.
Overall a very good place to stay & highly recommended.We were 5 people who went for this trip and we all liked this place alike.
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good travelogue. For place to eat, you could have also tried hotel East End. Its very famous and known to be tasty. not sure if it was open by the time you reached or if it was close to the place you were staying.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
Nice travelogue there. How is the weather in Coorg ?
Hope you had a great time, I somehow get bugged up with mysore road, because I travel on that every day :( I wish Bidadi was closer to bangalore he he
Thanks Krishna. For me too Mysore road has become a kind of boring. My home town is calicut & i have been traveling on that road every 3 months(on an average ) from last 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good travelogue. For place to eat, you could have also tried hotel East End. Its very famous and known to be tasty. not sure if it was open by the time you reached or if it was close to the place you were staying.
I guess this is the hotel which comes first just after entering corrg.The place was over crowded when we went there ,but yeah otherwise this hotel was also recommended to us by our home stay guy saying that its a good place to eat.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd June 2010 at 14:20. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi (Quote +) instead, Thanks
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:45   #11
BHPian

nice snaps (comments apply to your other threads as well)

Quote:
Madikerii also known as coorg is a small town which was almost going to sleep by the time we reached there.
Madikeri (Mercara) is the capital of Kodagu (Coorg) district - they are not the same.

As you are giving road conditions, it will be good to know the travel dates as well - it will let us know which one is the latest status.

For food, I would recommend Coorg Cuisine in Madikeri, a small restaurant in first floor, IIRC near the post office.
Old 23rd June 2010, 16:17   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
nice snaps (comments apply to your other threads as well)

Madikeri (Mercara) is the capital of Kodagu (Coorg) district - they are not the same.
thanks Arindamray.& regarding Madikeri thanks for the info.was not aware
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:13   #13
BHPian

Nice thread.
Hope you crossed the river and went to Dubare elephant camp.

Other interseting sites there are, Raja seat and abbey falls.
Old 23rd June 2010, 22:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
Nice thread.
Hope you crossed the river and went to Dubare elephant camp.

Other interseting sites there are, Raja seat and abbey falls.
No we could not cover Dubrae for lack of time on that day.Yeah Raja's seat & abbey falls was worth visiting.
Old 23rd June 2010, 23:54   #15
BHPian

we had covered Dubare, but not the Nisargadhama in our trip in May 2008 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ay-2008-a.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks