Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 09:28   #1
Senior - BHPian

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour

The Yeti once said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No.
Let us know how it went. Repay us with a nicely written travelogue with photos.
We hopped on to a flight and took off.

From the Songs of the sea

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-1.jpg

to some brilliant views of Marina Bay.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-2.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-3.jpg

To a party animal's paradise called Clarke Quay

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-4.jpg

Taking a train to Singapore's largest MRT interchange called " Dhoby Ghaut " ..

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-5.jpg

Flying across the Straits of Johor to catch a glimpse of Petronas Twin Towers.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-6.jpg

The cable ride in Genting

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-7.jpg

to clicking a few shots of the night life in Malaysia with a wide angle.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-8.jpg

stay tuned ...........
Old 25th June 2010, 09:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow, its going to be excellent. We all know about your photography skills. Now add to this, exotic locations. No doubt.

Clarke Quay, ha, brings my olden memories. I use to stay near here in Novotel. Night never sleeps!!!!

Hooked on to this thread. Come on riju...
Old 25th June 2010, 10:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi

looks like you will dish out a feast of pictures from Singapore and Malaysia
that too on a TGIF.

lookforward to your next posts...
Old 25th June 2010, 10:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics Riju, waiting to see more !
Old 25th June 2010, 10:19   #5
BANNED

Nice start to some exotic photographs.

Whats troubling me is that unusual name "DHOBY GHAUT" Thats got to have some Indian link to that name. Only Riju could tell.

Bring them on Riju in styles
Old 25th June 2010, 11:10   #6
BHPian

Good one Riju!
If i am not wrong, those 3 triplet towers have a platform at the top with a huge swimming on it.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:06   #7
BHPian

Hooked on to this thread, Please also mention about the prices and other information. I am planning to SG in Oct so this will come in handy.

Great Pictures, looking for more
Old 25th June 2010, 12:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Riju, excited to have hit on to your travelogue. I am looking forward to seeing Singapore and Malaysia from your viewpoint knowing your skill in photography and from what teasers posted below. Super, unleash loads of pictures.

btw, the dhoby ghat signboard picture is so awesome sharp. It can be used for a RGB test except there is no blue in it

Also, the picture of Petronas towers is one of the best that i have seen in a long time.

Keep 'em coming.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Awwwright! Gonna be watching this space very closely. And I know that you are not going to disappoint Riju, bring 'em on
Old 25th June 2010, 12:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Look forward to seeing these two marvellous cities through your lenses. The twin tower snap certainly brings back my old memories. We had out KL branch office right at this tower at Level 46 and what a view it used to be.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Knowing Riju and his photography skills, this thread is going to be a feast for our eyes!
Let the feast begin!
Old 25th June 2010, 12:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful!! the start is exciting, the snap of the twin towers are too good.
Surely, looks like a picture feast in the making.
Waiting for more.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looking forward for details, will be handy for my next visit to Singapore.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 25th June 2010 at 12:59.
Old 25th June 2010, 17:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Riju, Love that snap from Songs of the sea, never thought can get such a sharp snap out of that water spray magic thin air..feeling sorry about the same snap I have clicked!!!
Old 28th June 2010, 09:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sorry folks couldn't update the travelogue over the weekend, got held up with the regular mundane work at home.

I am adding a consolidated list of places to visit while in Singapore in this post and then will continue to post pictures in different posts.

Made use of Tiger Airways to get to Singapore and this being a budget airline , least did I know I would be in for a cramped 3 hrs 50 mins flight. The space between seats isn't enough for a 6 footer like me and had a terrible leg pain by the time we landed. Such flights are good enuf for short trips which is less than 2 hrs or so.
Definitely not good to compromise on such flights and makes sense to use Singapore Airlines or Silk Air to get there. Book in advance and it might cost you a few thousands more, but you get that much needed space and legroom.

Lets get to traveling around Singapore. First and foremost as soon as you land make sure you get yourself one the MRT maps with the card.Recharge value is from 10$ SGD upwards.
Singapore is well connected thru the MRT and you wouldn't require to take a taxi every time you wanna go some place. That's unless you are staying far away from the MRT stations.

Taxi's are a tad bit expensive during the usual business hours. Ideally you would end up paying the ERP(Electronic Road Pricing ) toll + 30%(methinks) of the total bill amount during the day time. Not worth it unless you wanna get to the airport.

BTW I have no information regarding the hotels coz I was staying at my cousins place in Singapore. I have quite a few close relatives living there and hence the option of booking a hotel was completely ruled out.

Back to the list of must visit places.

1 - Jurong Bird Park
2 - Sentosa
3 - West Coast Beach(dint go here)
4 - For local food try food courts and the best place is Serangoon Road.Has lovely food to offer.

5 - If you wanna shop for Souvenir's try shops on Serangoon Road and China town which sells stuff like 3/5 items for 10$'s.They are called 3 for 10$ stores.

6- For mobiles and P&S camera's try Niranjan's Store opposite the Farrer Park MRT Station. I picked up a P&S and a mobile phone from here. The best prices are offered here.

7 - Mustafa , needn't say much everything under one roof. The ideal place to exchange currency coz I got the best prices here.Make sure you get your GST refund forms filled up here and you can get a refund of the taxes paid on the item from the airport.

8 - Pandan Gardens/Bay is a reservoir and currently they are in the process of introducing Kayaking pretty soon.Definitely worth a visit and it close to the Jurong East MRT Interchange.

9 - Clarke Quay , I wouldn't say much simply go and explore.

10 - China Town, Bugis, Little India and SimLim Square(near Mustafa) are places where you would wanna do some window shopping.

11 - The Singapore Flyer

12 - Marine Bay

13 - Esplanade , Durian shaped theaters in the bay area.

Guess I have summed up most of the places and just in case I have missed something I will add it up here.

Jurong Bird Park

Definitely a must visit place for all bird lovers. I wasnt carrying any telephoto lens and please put up with the images I am adding for now. Used my 18-105mm lens for all the shots.

Try and make it for these shows

Kings of the Skies : 10am / 4pm
Birds and Buddies : 11am / 3pm

If you wish to do the night safari , pick up the 3-in-1 Park Hopper Tickets.
Works cheaper and you wil end up saving a few dollars.

Apparently there was a slight drizzle when we got there in the evening. Couldn't click too many images of both the shows. However here you go.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6887-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6893-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6918-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6926-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6932-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6935-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6955-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6963-large.jpg

Name:  DSC_6975 Large.jpg
Views: 3035
Size:  70.9 KB

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6979-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6988-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_6994-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_7004-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_7028-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_7033-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_7042-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_7065-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_7070-large.jpg

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_7100-large.jpg

Well we bought an end to their rift. Both fellas were battling it out like arch rivals.

They say " Selamat Datang " ::My Singapore and Malaysian séjour-dsc_7101-large.jpg

There's a huge waterfall of which I will add an image later, reached the 20 images limit on a single post .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th June 2010 at 09:11.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks