Team-BHP - Day trip to Srirangapatna and Melkote
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Day trip to Srirangapatna and Melkote (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/84370-day-trip-srirangapatna-melkote.html)

After loads of yes and no with my cousin and some debate over going to Hoggenekal, we finally decided to go to Srirangapatna and Melkote

We started on Sunday morning at 5:30AM from Malleshwaram and reached KAMAT lokaruchi in at 7AM. No traffic on the way. KAMAT food was crap! Total waste of money. We decided never to stop here, instead stop at Adigas few kms ahead. We started from KAMAT at 7:40AM. Reached Ranganathaswamy temple at 9AM. Again no traffic and smooth drive. No line/rush at the temple. We were out in 15-20mins. After that we went to Colonel Bailey's Dungeon, took loads of snaps here. Then just stopped at see Water gate, Jumma Masjid and headed for Dariya daulat baug which is on the other side of the main road.

Visited Dariya daulat baug, Gumbaz and Sangam. We did some coracle ride there due to family demand. Costed us Rs 30/- per head for a small fixed trip. Then we headed for lunch at 1:15PM. Reached the main road and tried finding some hotel. Saw a big board of River view hotel run by KSTDC. We headed there. Cool ambiance! Ordered lunch, costly but may be the best around for family. There are cottages also there to stay. Tariff card said 1950/- for a cottage (AC). Neat price. Food good but service was bad.

Started after lunch at 3PM for Melkote. Amazing drive from there. Road is nice with good turns and finally small ghat section. Recommend head straight up the hill through a narrow road which ends near mobile towers and climb steps from there. Reached the temple at 4:45PM. Unfortunately temple timings are not precise and open anytime between 5PM to 6:30PM:Frustrati

We waited till 5:15PM, then just did darshan from hole in door, many other people were also doing the same. We started from there and went down hill to visited the other temple (Cheluvanarayanaswamy temple). We just made it as closing time is 6PM and we reached at 5:50PM. Again no line/rush, out in 10mins!

From there we drove to raya gopura where "Barso re" shooting happened. Cool place to take pics. We spend loads of time there having fun.

We started from Melkote at 6:45PM, decided to reach Blore as fast as possible. and check for dinner at Blore.

We took the road directly to Mandya. Village like road but good condition and less traffic. From Mandya, blore is 100kms. once we reached Mandya we decided to stop on the way for dinner and not have it in Blore.

Stopped at Adigas for dinner. Crowded but good service. Started from there at 10:30PM and reached Blore at 11:30. less traffic and smooth drive.

Overall great day! Had awesome fun! These places may be good for first few visits. Then need to find another places.

Best place was Top of Lord Narasimha Swamy Temple.

Covered 315kms total with approx 18lts of fuel, maintaining 70-100kmph.

Let me know if you guys need info on anything precise.

Good write up & pics. Did you forget to eat the famous "Iyengar's Puligore" in Melkote...If yes, then you missed it. It tastes aweful. There are many mess available serving this dish. Maybe next time you have to try it. I had it when I went there around a year back.

How is the road status from Srirangapatna to Melkote?
I have seen one diversion to Melkote just after Mandya? If one wants to directly go to Melkote, is that a good road?
Did you take that road on the way back?

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 1955493)
Good write up & pics. Did you forget to eat the famous "Iyengar's Puligore" in Melkote...If yes, then you missed it. It tastes aweful. There are many mess available serving this dish. Maybe next time you have to try it. I had it when I went there around a year back.

My cousin's family being from north, we did not have it as they were not keen on eating that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1955514)
How is the road status from Srirangapatna to Melkote?
I have seen one diversion to Melkote just after Mandya? If one wants to directly go to Melkote, is that a good road?
Did you take that road on the way back?

Yes, I took that route, it connects MANDYA<->MELKOTE. Road is good. Passes through villages. No food on the way. Has few speed breakers but nice scenic drive. Below is the link to that route. You might need some directions were the road meets Mandya as its little confusing. From Mandya, Bangalore is 100kms.

Melkote Kalyani to Mandya, Karnataka, India - Google Maps

I may be wrong but, as per map, Blore<->Mlore route can also be taken. Its additional 15kms for Melkote. Any suggestions here guys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaronikar (Post 1955493)

I'm sure you meant 'awesome' and it was just a typo ! Nice pics Devang !

Quote:

Originally Posted by devrajman (Post 1956500)
Yes, I took that route, it connects MANDYA<->MELKOTE. Road is good. Passes through villages. No food on the way. Has few speed breakers but nice scenic drive. Below is the link to that route. You might need some directions were the road meets Mandya as its little confusing. From Mandya, Bangalore is 100kms.

I may be wrong but, as per map, Blore<->Mlore route can also be taken. Its additional 15kms for Melkote. Any suggestions here guys?

But then this does not have Srirangaptnam. If you visited Srirangapatnam, then you should have taken the Pandavpura road. Am I missing some thing here?

Nice to hear that the Mandya, Melkote road is good.

Are the last 2 snap of Melkote? What are the key attractions there? Sounds like a good place for day trip from Bangalore

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1956633)
But then this does not have Srirangaptnam. If you visited Srirangapatnam, then you should have taken the Pandavpura road. Am I missing some thing here?

Nice to hear that the Mandya, Melkote road is good.

The key idea here is to reach Melkote from Blore<->Mlore route if someone is tired/bored of Mysore road.

If you take the Mlore<->blore route, I think there can be other attractions that can be visited. I will do some more search and post it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadadhar (Post 1956759)
Are the last 2 snap of Melkote? What are the key attractions there? Sounds like a good place for day trip from Bangalore

yes, the last 2 snaps are of Melkote. Melkote has 3 things to see. One temple on hill top. Other at the foot hills and lastly the Raya Gopura (Barso Re song shooting). All these places are good and worth a visit.

Also I saw some mountain peaks which can be trekkable. A small query in Melkote can help.

Couple of pics from Melkote:

@ Devang - Loved the last shot of the cliff and the water body beneath, will make this trip soon.

The only thing is if one wants a day picnic to this place, you will need lots of food back-up :D and Mysore road is apt for that!
Also which is Gopura that you are talking about? Could not identify them in the snaps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1957281)
The only thing is if one wants a day picnic to this place, you will need lots of food back-up :D and Mysore road is apt for that!
Also which is Gopura that you are talking about? Could not identify them in the snaps.

I do not have many pics clearly showing Raya Gopura, however found this flickr album:

Melukote - a set on Flickr

Wow the last pic is superb. Breathtaking even!

Quote:

Originally Posted by devrajman (Post 1957417)
I do not have many pics clearly showing Raya Gopura, however found this flickr album:

Melukote - a set on Flickr

Looks stunning and also as others mentioned the last snap is very nice!
Ideal for part family fun and part trek!