Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 16:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Rambik to Siliguri

27 Sep

After recharging our batteries, we leave for Siliguri next day i.e. 27 Sep morning. We start at about 11AM and reach Siliguri comfortably by early in the evening. We settle down in the hotels.

Its Durga Ashtami and its an environment of celebration everywhere. There are pandals all over the city. We leave late in the evening to explore the Pandals. We saw some beautiful pandals with decorations done very carefully and elaborately.

We return to hotels after a long walk late in the night and settle in our beds.

28 Sep

We have to catch a train from NJP in the afternoon to go to Guwahati. In the morning, we head to Airport More to do some shopping. I dunno exactly why but the most of the market was close. However, we do find few shops open. Kids buy some Chinese electronic toys. Some ladies bargain for the crystal and blankets. After some dent to every one's pocket we head to the hotel collect our baggage and head for station. We board the train and our journey to Guwahati began.

It was all playing time in the train with all cabins adjacent.
Old 7th July 2010, 17:04   #47
Senior - BHPian

Guwahati to Shillong

29 Sep

We reach Guwahati station in the morning. We hire the Sumos to go to Shillong. The visit to Guwahati was scheduled for the end.

We reach Shillong by evening through a picturesque road by afternoon. We check in the hotel and leave for some local sight seeing possible in the day.

We head for the View Point. Its a location through an Air Force area. The place gives an awesome view of the Shillong city.

Next destination is a kids amusement park. It has some swings for the kids. Needless to say they get busy there. On one end, it has a small spring making it a good view and possible pic for a desktop wallpaper. The kids refuse to budge from the park. In late evening we leave for Police Bazaar. The ladies are happy and explore the market till late night adding to the luggage.

A Portrait in the Hotel Room

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07475.jpg

View : Shillong

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07487.jpg

The Amusement Park

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07493.jpg

The Waterfall

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07497.jpg

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07501.jpg
Old 7th July 2010, 17:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Thanks for the appreciation. You know what you have asked can make for a full book. IMO you want to know from tourism point of view. What exact is the difference you will come to know when you travel.

Food Habits. The culture itself differs in entire NE. More popular are oriental dishes, momos and non-veg. However, this is popular among the locales, for a tourist everything is available from alu parantha to dosa.

Lifestyle/living Methods etc. They have their own style of dresses. In cities, you can find western dresses. The girls are pretty advanced in dressing. Discipline is better. Education level is very high.

Language. You will not have problem in speaking there. Everyone knows English. Most of them have workable knowledge of Hindi. So, no language problem.

People Behaviour. IMO whatever I dealt with people they were friendly and helpful. Persons related to tourism may be cunning at times but thats all over the world.

Security Situation Well..now except Manipur most of NE is peaceful and nothing to worry of. At the most you may get stuck in a Bandh which is observed pretty seriously. So, be on a lookout for these. Refrain from making any discussions/talks related to culture comparison and such like things.
Etc.,etc.
Any other query just bring it on anytime.
Excellent and accurate replies those TB. I have been to those places (Not all though), mostly on official trips, and can vouch for all that you have said above. Yes, what I have highlighted above, from your replies only, is also to be taken care of.

But, that region needs to be seen by all of us.

Your sunrise pic was still good, but, yes, all those Himalayan locations need better/SLR cameras and all those accessories, to capture best of those exotic scenes.
Old 8th July 2010, 18:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
all those Himalayan locations need better/SLR cameras and all those accessories, to capture best of those exotic scenes.
+1 to what you said LDL. I have realised this now. Infact, as I told before somewhere, I have homed on to Nikon D90 and 18-105mm VR lens. I already have the tripod. I will build on this later on primarily with more lenses. I am all set with money ready and equipment decided. but the camera is damn expensive here. About 20k more than India. So, I am just waiting for some one to bring it for me when he comes here. May be two more months.
Old 8th July 2010, 19:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

Cherrapunjee

30 Sep

In the early morning we leave for Cherrapunjee. Its a wonderful drive. The first stop is Nohkalikai Waterfalls. What a view! Wish if I could capture the rainbow in water properly.

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07545.jpg

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07546.jpg

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07547.jpg

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07555.jpg
Old 8th July 2010, 19:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Cherrapunjee

The next stop is at Masmai Caves. The information is on the board. There are some beautiful designs on the rock face due to continuous flow of water.

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07566.jpg

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07577.jpg

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07595.jpg

Memoirs : "LTC" to North East-dsc07602.jpg
Old 8th July 2010, 19:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Hi TB,

thanks for your response and all the details. i am sure it will be useful to me.
Old 8th July 2010, 20:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi TB,
thanks for your response and all the details. i am sure it will be useful to me.
You are welcome. Anytime you can ask and I would reply to the best of my knowledge. As I told before this area has been neglected by tourists but its sheer beauty and lots of variety-not just landscapes but some historical monuments, religious ones too. I would go some other time again on my own vehicle.
Old 9th July 2010, 19:10   #54
BHPian

Lovely, detailed write-up and amazing photos. Brought back fond memories of my Sikkim trip back in May 2007. It was not this green during May, especially that waterfall along Gangtok-Nathula highway looks spectacular in your pics. When we went, it was a small trickle, but still a great sight. But this one is out of the world!

The rest of NE looks equally enthralling, going by your pictures. Hope to get to see those places sometime soon.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicsense View Post
Lovely, detailed write-up and amazing photos. Brought back fond memories of my Sikkim trip back in May 2007. It was not this green during May, especially that waterfall along Gangtok-Nathula highway looks spectacular in your pics. When we went, it was a small trickle, but still a great sight. But this one is out of the world!

The rest of NE looks equally enthralling, going by your pictures. Hope to get to see those places sometime soon.
My visit was post monsoon. The pictures with me are not many because of loss due to virus, battery down etc etc. My pictures don't do justice to the beauty of the place.

I too would like to go there once again, better equipped and probably oon my own vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks