Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2010, 12:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.

Guys,

Today I’m on sick leave and with nothing much to do, thought of making use of the most valuable thing in life which is nothing but time. This is not going to be a detailed travelogue but yes I couldn’t resist posting my lone travel experience.

Well a quick intro so that you would better know the context of my travel. Being married for last two and half years, blessed with a playful son who is now one and half year old, working in the IT industry with not many opportunity for long vacations (not more than 3 days) made my last few years restricted to an Ooty trip, a Goa trip and few one day trips like the recent Ranganaithittu trip. But driving and photography is something which wakes me from the fast monotonous life.

Since my wife started working after my son turned one, my in-laws shifted to Bangalore to spend their retired life with us and to take care of our little Joshua (we decided not to send him to a crèche till he turns 2). About my in-laws, I never felt they are not my parents and surely lucky to have them with us. But their shifting to Bangalore was on a gentleman agreement that I would visit native once every month to take care of the house and rubber plantations and livestock. We have our tapper Muttu Manoj and his family who takes care of all thee headaches but I have to supervise him. My first official visit happened in May but dad-in-law was there to guide me and this is the second visit but a lone travel.

(To be continued)

Last edited by jacs : 30th June 2010 at 12:04.
Old 30th June 2010, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Good start dude

Waiting to see the photographer in you.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDM007 View Post
Good start dude

Waiting to see the photographer in you.
Thanks WDM007. I believe I wont disappoint you. But please bear with me till I cover the first day.
Old 30th June 2010, 13:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just an hour before boarding the bus last Friday eve, I heard the shocking news of Hartal in Kerala to protest against fuel price hikes. I was paranoid in deciding whether to go or not but took a forward step so that I could at least visit my parents in Kottayam. I couldn’t sleep well but somehow its Saturday morning and luckily no hassles on the way, road was clear with very few private vehicles alone. This is something which I do not like in Kerala, someone announce Hartal and no one comes out which makes these Hartals succesful. In Bangalore, I never relized it’s a Hartal or Bharat bandh unless someone tells me. Hartal was declared from 6AM to 6PM and emergency vehicles like Ambulance, Burial and Marriage parties were excluded.

Thanks to Hartal my primary task (visting wife’s house) is postponed to Sunday to avoid a long travel, I had lot of time at my disposal. Then I decided to attend the Baptism my friend Noble’s little angel Sarah along with my still bachelor friends Saral and Sijo and another forced bachelor friend Deepu. We all are college mates and had a wonderful time pulling legs and cracking jokes.

Then I utilized time visiting my first relatives who stay nearby. Also some good amount of time with my parents, they are curious to know everything about their grandson. Mom was unwell but made some of my favorite recipes and I decided to add another 2Kgs.

Later in the eve, we all friends met again in Fahrenheit which is a lounge bar which is in the heart of Kottayam town. Being on 6th Floor, we got a bird’s eye view of Kottayam sipping some colored spirits to keep us warm in the rainy weather. Here we decided to go Mannarkad for Deepu’s kid’s baptism which is on July 10th and stay in Wayanad for a day enjoying nature. Anyway it’s going to be my next travelogue only.

Back home, had a nostalgic dinner with dad and mom like I used to have in my childhood (sitting between them in the 1st kitchen and not in dining room). After long talks till midnight about family updates and locale news, decided to retire for the day planning my next day though a tight schedule.

(To be continued)

Last edited by jacs : 30th June 2010 at 14:10.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

The day I discovered a vacation

Believe me, my wife’s place is a small heaven in God’s own country with hills and streams, lots of animals and birds, flowers and fruits, and off course think green lush free from any sort of pollution.

It’s a small village in Idukki district known as Velliamattom almost some 22KM far from Thodupuzha town. It’s quite near to Moolamattom hydro electric plant and you can visit Cheruthoni dam and Idukki arch dam also from here. Velliamattom is around 68KM far from my hometown Kottayam via Pala – Kanjar – Muttom route. Since my return bus to Bangalore starts at 4:30PM, I must reach back by noon and hence decided to start early around 7:00AM.

Road was free being a Sunday early morning and my ride was on dad’s pocket rocket, the Alto 1.1 VX. But no rocketing, I wanted to drive slow keeping my windows rolled down to enjoy the monsoon weather. Most of the snaps are taken from the car itself due to the time limitation, please bear with the low quality after compression.

Road from Manarcad to Pala
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-1.jpg

My ride
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-2.jpg

Speed was always below 80Kmph in narrow stretches.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-3.jpg

Some views through the driver’s window.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-4.jpg
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-5.jpg

Pala town was empty at 7:30AM. Usually I get a traffic jam here. You might have crossed this town while travelling to Vagamon.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-6.jpg

Kanjar – Muttom road is narrow and very few vehicles but green everywhere.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-7.jpg

My first stop, Its Malankara dam reservoir which is on the way from Muttom to Moolamattom. I stayed there for 10minutes taking some snaps and taking fresh air.

Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-8.jpg

(to be continued)

Last edited by jacs : 30th June 2010 at 20:10.
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2010, 20:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Believe me, my wife’s place is a small heaven in God’s own country with hills and streams, lots of animals and birds, flowers and fruits, and off course think green lush free from any sort of pollution.
Trust me, most of the places in KL are except the cities like EKM/TVM. Even a town like Thodupuzha is crowded only for few Kms & after that its God's own country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
But no rocketing, I wanted to drive slow keeping my windows rolled down to enjoy the monsoon weather. Most of the snaps are taken from the car itself due to the time limitation, please bear with the low quality after compression.
Yup, that's how the drive enjoyment starts

Good going. BTW, which way did you take on the forward leg journey? EKM-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam-Idukki? Before you return, make a visit to RedChilli churidhar showroom at Kothamangalam. One word of caution - do not take your Wifey or you might land up staying there for several days. Yes several days!!! Its worth the money, material & quality.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

God's own country is a very apt title for Kerala, that too in rainy season.

Look forward to your pictures of the Rainy and Greeny Kerala
Old 30th June 2010, 21:03   #8
cLJ
BHPian

We see this greenery everyday, but we never really enjoy this. When I saw the photos, the greenery really amaze me. We value this beauty and thank god when we go out of state.

Nice photos, waiting for more, bring them on.
CLJ
Old 1st July 2010, 09:34   #9
BHPian

Waiting for the next instalment - hope there will be many more photos.
Old 1st July 2010, 18:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Trust me, most of the places in KL are except the cities like EKM/TVM. Even a town like Thodupuzha is crowded only for few Kms & after that its God's own country.

Yup, that's how the drive enjoyment starts

Good going. BTW, which way did you take on the forward leg journey? EKM-Perumbavoor-Kothamangalam-Idukki? Before you return, make a visit to RedChilli churidhar showroom at Kothamangalam. One word of caution - do not take your Wifey or you might land up staying there for several days. Yes several days!!! Its worth the money, material & quality.
Hi Aargee,

Thanks. As mentioned this was a small journey of about 140KM only. I traveled by bus to and from Kottayam. This time I was a forced bachelor, but next time definitely my wifey could checkout RedChilli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
God's own country is a very apt title for Kerala, that too in rainy season.

Look forward to your pictures of the Rainy and Greeny Kerala
Yes Star, some more snaps are coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
We see this greenery everyday, but we never really enjoy this. When I saw the photos, the greenery really amaze me. We value this beauty and thank god when we go out of state.

Nice photos, waiting for more, bring them on.
CLJ
Thanks CLJ. You are right, we never enjoy the beauty around us. That's what I am trying to do here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Waiting for the next instalment - hope there will be many more photos.
Yes pjay_in, shall upload the next installment tonight. Today I spent half a day in Hospital with blood check and all hence couldn't compose anything.

Last edited by jacs : 1st July 2010 at 18:39.
Old 1st July 2010, 19:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

More snaps from Malankara dam reservoir.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-9.jpg

Note the small waterfalls on the hillock, in summer you wouldn’t find any.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-10.jpg

This is my final route to destination. Road from Arakulam to Velliamattom. Its very narrow.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-11.jpg

And finally, my destination. Wife’s house, its surrounded by rubber plantations and .2KM inside from road.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-12.jpg

Some snaps of the rubber plantation
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-13.jpg
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-14.jpg

There is a small stream in the end of the plantation or the valley.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-15.jpg

Please note our Rambuttan tree is full of fruits, though not ripe.
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-16.jpg

This is what I see from the terrace of the house
Celebrated Hartal in native, discovered a quick vacation too.-17.jpg

(to be continued…)
jacs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2010, 20:49   #12
BHPian

Wow!!!

Great place, indeed! Don't worry about the picture quality... However poor the picture quality is, the beauty is all in there... I am feeling nostalgic!

These pictures refresh my memories of my graduation time (@ Marian College, Kuttikkaanam, Idukki) - those three years literally was the sweetest time in my life! Those chilling winters, cool summers, greenery all around... Our hostel did not even have fans, and still, thick blankets were unavoidable! A really long vacation in heaven, I must say.

Kuttikkaanam is supposedly one of the highest motorable places in Kerala and Sahyadris - Thekkady was only 30 Kms or so from there.
Old 2nd July 2010, 01:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

I somehow love to see the rubber estate in KL; years ago there used to be several rubber estate along the way from EKM to Muvattupuzha & now days I hardly see few of them. Good to see the way they're being planted in row & column fashion. The scenic from roof top is simply mind blowing.
Old 2nd July 2010, 11:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I somehow love to see the rubber estate in KL; years ago there used to be several rubber estate along the way from EKM to Muvattupuzha & now days I hardly see few of them. Good to see the way they're being planted in row & column fashion. The scenic from roof top is simply mind blowing.
Thanks aargee, another wonder is its silence everywhere unless some insects or animals break it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Great place, indeed! Don't worry about the picture quality... However poor the picture quality is, the beauty is all in there... I am feeling nostalgic!

These pictures refresh my memories of my graduation time (@ Marian College, Kuttikkaanam, Idukki) - those three years literally was the sweetest time in my life! Those chilling winters, cool summers, greenery all around... Our hostel did not even have fans, and still, thick blankets were unavoidable! A really long vacation in heaven, I must say.

Kuttikkaanam is supposedly one of the highest motorable places in Kerala and Sahyadris - Thekkady was only 30 Kms or so from there.
Let me make you more nostalgic? I'm also a Marianite, ha ha ha . Are you talking about Maryknoll hostel or Bishop Paul Iby hostel, I stayed in both and graduated in 2004.
Old 2nd July 2010, 13:34   #15
Senior - BHPian

too green. nice pics.
hartal is nice chance for a drive for bold people. btw, tomm is another one..damn..i'm in Blore!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks