Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 10:07   #226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi LDL.
It is indeed an amazing trip, especially considering you are from heartland of hindi belt - UP. Hats off to your wife and kids for their courage to be with you on this trip.
it appears that your kids had some of the best time of their life on this trip.
Thanks Star for your sincere complements. Yes, all that you said is very true.

@KRRaj. Yes, the man (MX6) sure seems to have done lot of research on many topics, and really need to be praised for the breadth of his interests and depth of his knowledge on those interests! In any TL on any topic, you'll find him with a candid opinion or a solid fact or a critical observation, or something else! So, for enriching all of us by investing your time. And that joke was really fun!
Old 13th July 2010, 13:42   #227
BHPian

Day 12 Departure from Munnar

With heavy hearts, tremendous satisfaction and a promise to come back,we departed from Munnar at 8.30am after bf at our favorite rest. The weather was clear and very pleasant.

Next halt was Ooty. Route to be taken was clearly told by HVK sir before-hand along-with the distances and estimated time durations (Off course, we couldn't keep up with those timings! Thanks to frequent long stops to enjoy that fresh nature, one last time till we are back there, who knows when!). It was Marayoor-Udumpalet-Pollachi-CBE-Metupallayam-Coonoor-Ooty.

We were stopping, getting out of car, enjoying the fresh morning air, sometimes it was light misty vapours or light drizzles, all in all, a heavenly experience! Till Marayoor, it was less traveling and more of sight-seeing continuing. At one point we saw a small waterfall amidst tea estates right near the main road. Stopped there, parked, got out, spent some 30-40 mins getting feet soaked in it, etc. We thought it was the Lakhom water falls!

Just after few mins of starting from this falls, we reached the actuall Lakhom water falls! The sound of water and a hidden view from the small bridge was mouth-watering. So, had to stop. Our camera batteries were down by then! But, again, I got good kerala forest dept people. By the time we enjoyed the water falls, I plugged the battery in their office! And when we were about to leave, I took the battery out, and took snaps of that beautiful falls. It was all natural forest scene - rare sites for people like us.

On return from falls, had snacks, hot coffee and masala tea at shops on road side, and started fully satisfied after a long 1.5 hrs break there!

Pics from this part coming up soon..
Old 13th July 2010, 13:47   #228
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The thumb rule is always multiply HVK's timings by 1.25. And add to it, a couple of hours as contingency.
I've not heard of Lakhom waterfalls! So eagerly waiting for you to roll out the photos!
Old 13th July 2010, 14:09   #229
Senior - BHPian

LDL, is this falls just before the checkpost on your left when you come from Munnar side? I remember the falls near the road, and how did you go in to the actual falls?

Last edited by laluks : 13th July 2010 at 14:19.
Old 13th July 2010, 14:20   #230
Team-BHP Support

Munnar-Udumalpet stretch has amazingly many hidden gems! Every corner of the road, you find a new place!
Old 13th July 2010, 15:35   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
LDL, is this falls just before the checkpost on your left when you come from Munnar side? I remember the falls near the road, and how did you go in to the actual falls?
Laluks. Sorry as may not be able to tell exact location of that small falls. Though we were taking notes of odo and timings of major cities (done by our son), but, not in a professional way. I recall the following: Plz try to make out if you can from these pointers + photos of those falls:

1. I remember passing a border check post, but I think it was way after Maryoor? which is in Kerala.

2. These water falls (both small one and the Lakhom falls) came BEFORE the Maryoor city.

3. They were both nearby, may be within 2-3 kms.

4. Both were on left side when coming from Munnar.

5. The small one came BEFORE the Lakhom falls.

6. Lakhom, off course, had big sign board of Kerala Forest Dept, had their office, shops etc. It can't be missed.

7. The small one was actually less of a falls, more of a water flowing from up, and draining through under the road with a small opening under road, just like any other water flowing ways in those terrains. Approaching it was no issue. It was just by the road side.

Hope this helps.

@ MX6. Thumb rule, wah wah..yes, difficult to follow those timings, as they call for strict discipline, which we don't follow! However, having those timings helped me a lot, as every now and then, I'll ask son to get that print-out out and see, it gave an idea, so as to have some known measure of what lies ahead! Yes, I always assumed/added proportionately into those timings. For, Ex. CBE - Ooty was written 2.5 hrs. I knew it wont take less then 3 hrs for us as this was our 1st time. like-wise, I followed that thumb-rule, hence could avoid frustration of not able to follow those times

Ok, now pics will follow..
Old 13th July 2010, 16:07   #232
BHPian

Day 12 Departure from Munnar

1-13: Few random parting snaps on way to Maryoor.

14-16 (Last 3) Our much talked about restaurant at Munnar
(Was small, but neat and tasty)

@ ampere.
Yes, you are right. That road (Munnar - maryoor-Udumpalet) was fantastic in terms of vistas. We were going down and down, and when we thought we have reached to plains, still going down hill!.. with still stunning views was very very VFE (Value for effort) for us.

Water falls pics coming up next.. (I mean in next post!)
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07759.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07761.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07767.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07809.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07823.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07824.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07844.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07868.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07933.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07934.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07935.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc06390.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc06391.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc06393.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 13th July 2010 at 16:17.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:18   #233
Team-BHP Support

There comes the hotel! HVK?

The Munnar-Udumalpet stretch is some which needs to cherished again and again. One should never hurry through that stretch and budget maximum for that leg and also time the drive when there no fear of light fading away into the evening.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:31   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There comes the hotel! HVK?

The Munnar-Udumalpet stretch is some which needs to cherished again and again. One should never hurry through that stretch and budget maximum for that leg and also time the drive when there no fear of light fading away into the evening.
No. This restaurant was at Munnar. And that famous one is at Mettulapalaym/Ooty road, Coimbatore!

Yes, we didn't hurry through that beautiful stretch. Guru's timings were 2.3 hrs. And we ended-up taking up 5 long hrs (Munnar - Udumalpet) . Thanks to those beautiful vistas. But, that time was well spent. After all the wet greenery, I also enjoyed driving through Chinnar WLS area.

Here are 2 pics, specially, for you Ampere - one for each of the points above.
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07937.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07938.jpg  

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 13th July 2010 at 16:35.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:10   #235
BHPian

Day 12 Departure from Munnar continues..

Views at Lakhom Water falls
(en route Maryoor-Udumalpet)
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07919.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07915.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07916.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07918.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07923.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07883.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07884.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07894.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07896.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07898.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07899.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07900.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07902.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07904.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07911.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th July 2010, 17:50   #236
BHPian

Day 12 Departure from Munnar continues..

Views of an unknown small "Water falls"
(en route Maryoor-Udumalpet)

Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07873.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07877.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc07879.jpg  

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 13th July 2010 at 17:52.
Old 13th July 2010, 18:07   #237
Team-BHP Support

I dont remember how that hotel looks today.
I just saw the name and jumped!
Old 13th July 2010, 18:41   #238
Senior - BHPian

I see a Tea, Spice, Handicrafts board under the restaurant board. Does the restaurant also sell those? Did you buy any?
Old 13th July 2010, 18:53   #239
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@ampere. Hotels do change over the years. So you'd probably be surprised to see how much the other Annapurna has changed if you do see it after years.

@LDL. That's right. Use them as thumb rules. 5 hours is not bad considering the fact that you are enjoying your drive, stopping where you think and taking photos, and above all soaking in heaven. And your kids are enjoying the falls to the hilt! good show.
Old 13th July 2010, 19:05   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@ampere. Hotels do change over the years. So you'd probably be surprised to see how much the other Annapurna has changed if you do see it after years.
I hope the taste does not change with time.
Would really love to go there once again and hog.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks