Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:54   #301
BHPian

Day 13: At Mysore

We reached Mysore palace at 3.30 pm. As we were parking the car, an old but experienced Guide - Khan saheb approached us. As usual I talked to him reluctantly, but, finally agreed to take his services, as time was our constraint. He really proved to be a truly professional guide and nice person. He explained how best we can see different places in our time frame. First he guided us to see the palace. We liked his approach: he was very caring and watchful of time! It actually helped us in seeing all the places adequately within the available time.

Palace was nice, after visiting it inside, we spent some time siting in its lawns, kids played around. Then Khan Saheb took us for hotel search! Finally, we settled for a hotel which was away from the main crowded city center. We freshened at room in 20 mints. Then he took us to the Vrindawan Gardens.

Vrindawan Gardens were beautiful in lights. Enjoyed there including the musical fountain. Left from there at 8.30. Khan Saheb was still with us, he took us to a very very nice Veg Hotel-cum-restaurant, had very good dinner there, then to a Silk shop a 'mandatory' sari shopping (reluctantly!), then some sandal goods shopping, etc. Finally, he left us very near to our hotel, asked no money on 1st day, with a promise to return for tomorrow's prog at 7.30 sharp at our hotel!

We were more then satisfied from the day.

Now pics from the Palace and Vrindawan Gardens.
Day 14 which was very interesting coming up next
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08589.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08591.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08598.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08610.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08611.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08614.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08617.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08660.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08661.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08628.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08629.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08645.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08651.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2010, 19:45   #302
Senior - BHPian

To add to what people have said about Ooty, IMO all places which are hyped up for whatever reason have lost their sheen. I hear even Shimla is not all that good now. Rohtang is getting dirtier. And so on..

The pics are good. I had just heard before that the palace looks beautiful at night. I can imagine now.

Did you go to Chamundi Temple?
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:12   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
To add to what people have said about Ooty, IMO all places which are hyped up for whatever reason have lost their sheen. I hear even Shimla is not all that good now. Rohtang is getting dirtier. And so on..
The pics are good. I had just heard before that the palace looks beautiful at night. I can imagine now.

Did you go to Chamundi Temple?
Thanks TB. Yes, we visited Chamundi Devi Temple. Pics coming soon.

Day 14: Exploring Mysore and Srirangpatna

First Srirangpatna

We left with Khan Saheb for Srirangpatna at about 8.20 am. Road was very good. There he 1st took us to the famous temple, then to some remains of ancient monuments. He was a truly local professional man who took pride in explaining every historical detail of each place with great zeal! And that impressed us.

Here are few pics now. They cover: Remains of Ancient monuments of Tipu's time like Delhi gate, secret passage to the royal mahal, etc., Colnel Bailey's Dudgeon and views of Cauveri river from the Dungeon and the Temple.

Many more from other places coming up
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08685.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08686.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08687.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08692.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08693.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08702.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08703.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08706.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08710.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08713.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08715.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08717.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08719.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08721.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08723.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08728.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08729.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08668.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08675.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 3rd August 2010 at 19:17.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:39   #304
Team-BHP Support

Your train snap made my day. The Ranganthittu railway crossing is the other place which I spent quite some time.
Every time I went there, I end up seeing a train.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:41   #305
MX6
Senior - BHPian

LDL. This is special for you from my side.
You've come all the way from Lucknow to Srirangapatnam. Do you know that these two cities have something in common?
Here's a photo to show that commonality.

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-us.jpg
Old 4th August 2010, 15:21   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
LDL. This is special for you from my side.
You've come all the way from Lucknow to Srirangapatnam. Do you know that these two cities have something in common?
Here's a photo to show that commonality.
Thanks MX and amprere.

Now what I need is a word about this snap. Looks like a historical stone! I know I am asking for trouble, as what I may get is a lengthy history lesson from the man, who is never short of history facts and tales!

Day 14: Exploring Srirangpatna and Mysore continues...

We haven't had breakfast! but, like a strict but polite teacher, Khan saheb was in no mood to let us relax! So, we managed with coconut-water and snacks, etc. He had detail knowledge about S'patna, and he made sure, it passes on to us in all details! After Bailey's Dongeon, Tipu's dead body spot, some ancient armourery godowns, to ancient Masjid, darwajas, Makbara, summer palace; we visited all places. Spent lot of time at summer palace and Royal family's Makbara - both are very well maintained. All in all, it felt good to be at such an important historical place.

OT: Note to self: Hampi and Golgumbaj, are two impt places in my list to be seen.

Now more photos from S'patna will follow..
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08733.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08734.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08741.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08743.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08744.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08754.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08756.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08759.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08760.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th August 2010, 15:29   #307
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Will keep it short.
That's me and my 2 month old daughter in front of a memorial for the 75th Stirlingshire regiment in Stirling Castle - Scotland. If you notice carefully, she's wide awake.
Regarding history, it's the 75th regiment that fought the war with Tipu. Later they were drafted in to I guess the 78th regiment or something like that.
After almost 60 years, the same regiment fought for the relief of lucknow (after the seige of lucknow - during the first war of independance in 1857).
Tipu died in 1799. 58 years hence, there would have been two generations replaced in that regiment. But the same regiment fought in Lucknow.
That's what the stone reads. Seringapatna is Srirangapatnam. Delhi is when they exiled Bahadur shah zafar and took over. Lucknow is when our guys held the british hostage in lucknow fort, the regiment came with re-inforcements as relief.

Also note the first figure in that stone. A picture of a tiger. English insignia has a lion. I feel that the tiger there represents Tipu who is called the tiger of mysore, acknowledged by the British themself.
So that connects your city and srirangapatna. And a commemorative memorial lies in Scotland in a city called Stirling.

I'm not a history man sir. But places I visit teaches me a bit of history and geography.

Last edited by MX6 : 4th August 2010 at 15:34.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2010, 15:38   #308
BHPian

Day 14: Exploring Srirangpatna and Mysore continues...

Photos of Royal family's Makbara, S'patna

There a local guideexplained the history and different aspects of that famous monument to us.
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08761.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08764.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08766.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08768.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08774.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08775.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08776.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08777.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08778.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08782.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08783.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08784.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08785.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08794.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08799.jpg  

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 4th August 2010 at 15:51.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:48   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Will keep it short.
That's me and my 2 month old daughter in front of a memorial for the 75th Stirlingshire regiment in Stirling Castle - Scotland. If you notice carefully, she's wide awake.
Regarding history, it's the 75th regiment that fought the war with Tipu. Later they were drafted in to I guess the 78th regiment or something like that.
I'm not a history man sir. But places I visit teaches me a bit of history and geography.
Excellent .
You know what, sometimes it saves us if we listen more and speak less. I was about to ask this in my previous reply: where is that stone in Srirangpatna! we didn't see it? . Thank God I didn't ask.

Anyway, as usual your description is crystal clear, yet very informative. Nice to know the connection of two historically important ancient capital cities. Yes, I have guessed that it must be you and your little cute angel.

More pics coming up.
Old 4th August 2010, 18:44   #310
BHPian

Day 14: More photos from Srirangpatna ..

Summer palace

It was hot (though not much by Lucknow standards!)by the time we reached Dariya Daulta Bagh (Summer palace), but, it was really cool inside the palace. Enjoyed watching those wall paintings, portraits and ancient weapons, etc.

That was the last point of S'patna, and we all were desperately in need of lunch! So, Khaan saheb took us to a smal but good reastaurant in-front of Mysore Zoo! It was on the left side corner of the car parking. Finished lunch and went to Zoo at around 1pm.

Now summer palace pics..
Zoo pics are next in Q !..
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08801.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08803.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08804.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08806.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08807.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08809.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc08810.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th August 2010, 19:26   #311
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
After almost 60 years, the same regiment fought for the relief of lucknow (after the seige of lucknow - during the first war of independance in 1857).
Tipu died in 1799.
Fouth Anglo-Mysore War with Wellesely.

Quote:
58 years hence, there would have been two generations replaced in that regiment. But the same regiment fought in Lucknow.
That's what the stone reads. Seringapatna is Srirangapatnam. Delhi is when they exiled Bahadur shah zafar and took over. Lucknow is when our guys held the british hostage in lucknow fort, the regiment came with re-inforcements as relief.

Also note the first figure in that stone. A picture of a tiger. English insignia has a lion. I feel that the tiger there represents Tipu who is called the tiger of mysore, acknowledged by the British themself.
So that connects your city and srirangapatna. And a commemorative memorial lies in Scotland in a city called Stirling.

Bahadur shah Zafar was exiled to Rangoon where he died in 1862.

Good piece of info MX. Snap also looks nice with the kiddo soaking in history!

Last edited by ampere : 4th August 2010 at 19:28.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:42   #312
Senior - BHPian

Great info. I love historical places.

When I read about Colonel Bailey's Dungeon, I thought one more place for inhumane treatment to Indian prisoners. Then I read on.. .

Tipu Sultan imprisoned so many British Officers. No wonder as I heard that Britishers used to fear this Sultan. Man this man was indeed a TIGER. Very poor knowledge from my side on this issue. I am really proud of him. Somebody who could fight for the sovereignty. Jai Hind.

PS : I think MX6 is going to enlighten a bit more. BTW MX6 that was a great pic and very timely posted.
Old 4th August 2010, 19:46   #313
MX6
Senior - BHPian

True. I meant Delhi was annexed when they exiled Bahadur shah zafar. I forgot to mention that he was exiled to Rangoon which was also under the east india company.
I used to hate this when I studied in school. Never knew who fought whom. Picked all this up when I visited these places. Not a history buff, but try to pick information up when I visit these places.

@TaureanBull. If you go to the the Victoria and Andrew museum, one finds an exhibit called Tipu's tiger.
Tipu had a model of a tiger made in 1790s, which is lying on a model of a british, grawing his neck and making roaring noises. Upon his death, in a chamber of musical instruments, the brits found this wonderful stuff and smuggled it to England, where it is proudly displayed to this date.
Also Tipus's sword went over to the nawab of arcot and eventually ended with the British. It was returned to India after our independance only to be smuggled out back to Britain.
I guess in 2004 a gentleman with penchance for Indian artefacts won this in an auction. The gentleman who we know as Vijay Mallya.

I met a Pathan (from Pakistan) in Glasgow who's life's ambition is to come to Mysore state to kneel at Sher - e - Mysore's tomb. He told me that till the sword was housed in Edinburgh castle, he'd seen it and once got an opportunity to hold it.
"It was damn heavy", he told me, "I could barely hold it for 10 minutes, don't know how Sher - e- Mysore fought wars with that".
It comes from a Pathan who towers at 6'4" and weighs a 110 kilos.
Oh yes, the Pathan was my grocer who'd lived in Scotland for over 25 years!

Last edited by MX6 : 4th August 2010 at 19:54.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:27   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@TaureanBull. If you go to the the Victoria and Andrew museum, one finds an exhibit called Tipu's tiger.
Tipu had a model of a tiger made in 1790s, which is lying on a model of a british, grawing his neck and making roaring noises. Upon his death, in a chamber of musical instruments, the brits found this wonderful stuff and smuggled it to England, where it is proudly displayed to this date.
Also Tipus's sword went over to the nawab of arcot and eventually ended with the British. It was returned to India after our independance only to be smuggled out back to Britain.
I guess in 2004 a gentleman with penchance for Indian artefacts won this in an auction. The gentleman who we know as Vijay Mallya.

I met a Pathan (from Pakistan) in Glasgow who's life's ambition is to come to Mysore state to kneel at Sher - e - Mysore's tomb. He told me that till the sword was housed in Edinburgh castle, he'd seen it and once got an opportunity to hold it.
"It was damn heavy", he told me, "I could barely hold it for 10 minutes, don't know how Sher - e- Mysore fought wars with that".
OT. Sorry LDL.

Yes. Vijay Mallya has brought few of the artifacts back to India, though to his private collection. The ASI has so far failed in getting anything of importance back to India.

About the swords, I heard/read somewhere that Maharana Pratap's/Rana Sanga's Sword was Ek Man = 40kgs. Just imagine carrying it on body, let alone fighting it. No wonder they were all tiger/lion hearted. I have heard 25kg swords for a few of the Rajput Kings. BTW going further, in Rajput Kingdom, a sword which has been used to kill anyone will have a ring through a small hole at the base. Saw a few of them in Jaisalmer.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:30   #315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow! Do they let folks hold artifacts in Museums?

Last edited by ampere : 4th August 2010 at 20:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks