Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2010, 10:18   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Isn't this bridge strangely similar to what vrprabhu has posted in his log?
Yes, it looks similar to that.

Thanks ampere. Yes, water, water..it was..more of that to follow as we proceed to coastal Karnataka later in the day. Was exciting scenes for someone like us! I was thrilled and wife even scared at times seeing so much water all around so near to us!

Ok, just a flash-back to Day 14 - The dilemma

When we stopped at Medicari road, Mysore at restaurant for eating something before proceeding to Medicari; I was feeling little dull, low on energy and confidence. Its effect was compounded by the fact that it was nearing 6 pm! Locals told it is approx 3.4-4 hrs journey, with some 30-40 kms ghat section at the end.

Now, two imaginary things got me worried: 1. Coorg is famous for rains, so we are sure to get rains there and we were going without Hotel bookings; 2. We'll be reaching there around 9.30 -10 pm.

So the scenario I imagined was we reaching tired in an unknown hill town in heavy rains, without knowing which hotel to go where? etc, etc.

This was the second time I got lil concerned. The other one was at Hyd during onward journey to BLR.

We deliberated a lot, restaurant manager told, there are several hotels, and this off-season, so you'll get hotel; will have to search a bit, though, which you can do as you have own vehicle. At one time we almost decided to stay back at Mysore and start next morning, even thought of leaving Medicari; but didn't want to leave coastal KA entirely (NH 17 pull effect!). Then going to Udupi/Murdeswara meant taking Medicari route was best choice. Family left it to me.

Finally, I announced our whole trip has been fueled by our spirit only, falling short of confidence like this will have a demoralizing effect on that spirit. So, let's continue with the same spirit. Despite being lil low on energy, driving those 130 kms in night was never the thing I was worried about.

Exciting drive to Medicari:

So we left around 6.15 pm or so from Mysore. Immediately after restaurant break, withdrew some cash from an ATM. It was still some daylight. Road was super smooth, and soon I settled to a good rhythm. I knew this road would bifurcate at some point where Hasan and Medicari road would separate out. So we were looking out for the signage. I thought road after that bifurcation may not be as good as this SH was. But, to my surprise road continued to be good even after leaving Hasan road. It has become dark, but drive was thrilling as strong breeze was blowing, though it was pleasing, but, it was too strong and noisy, so we continued to be on AC. At one point, one local speeding Scorpio overtook us lil rudely at a speed breaker (there were quite a few well before Kushal nagar). After some point, I overtook normally as that got a lil slow. But, as it happens quite often, he might have speeded up afterwards; so when next frequent breaker came, I braked lil hard to avoid the sharp bump, at the same time, we herd sharp noise of heavy breaks and tyre scratching the road!! Wife and son got curious, 'kya hua' (what happened)! I told nothing much, the gentleman behind us pushed the pedal blissfully forgetting that we are passing through a road where frequent speed-breakers are coming. Actually, he had to break so hard, to avoid hitting our back that it got pulled lil to a side! Seeing that, I immediately went to extreme left side and gave him/they the way to zoom away to their glory!

I have read about bad roads to Medicari, specially after KushalNagar. It actually, was bad but only inside KushalNagar town, rest of the stretch was totally done up recently. That proved a very welcome help for us. In dark, even ghat section didn't feel much! Only during last 15-20 kms, I knew that we going up, but it looked very mild elevation, though curves in road were very sharp, but road surface was new and black smooth! and traffic was very negligible after Kushal Nagar.

As expected, it started getting foggy/raining when Medicari was 15-20 kms. We slowed down considerably, at times visibility became very low. soon we reached the outer limit of Medicari at 9 pm, it was raining mildly. That was the scenario I was worried about! Going out at night in that weather and searching for room! HVK sir has mentioned name of one known decent Hotel, before that we got another on raod, got out with umbrella, asked, they said sorry its full as some conference is going on in the town, he referred to the one suggested by HVK sir, went there. It was raining heavily at that time. Lot of cars were parked outside, so I thought here also we'll get same reply! Yes, our guess was right. They said we are full here, but we have a homestay some 4-5 kms away, but that is suitable if you were a group who needed full set of 2 rooms. We took their card, came out towards Bus stand, turned to a street downhill, looked around, saw few boards, one was closed renovation, etc. It was still raining. Finally, I parked and went to another one (forgot name, will have to check notes/ receipts) which had lot of parking space as it also had a Cine theater and small shopping complex in same premises. I approached the receptionist with hopes in my eyes, but doubts in my mind! He said, yes, we have, charges were just 800 Rs. (Non-AC), saw the room and took immediately at 9.45 pm. Was a big relief, unloaded required luggage, room boy also brought dinner from nearby veg restaurant. Slept in pleasently cool but comfortable weather amidst rhythmical sound of falling rain drops on green trees and shrubs, to keep you reminding that you are in Coorg region!

Pics from next day (15) Medicari sight-seeing I have already posted last evening.

We inquired from hotel about sight-seeing and decided to check the Omkareswar temple and Abhe water falls. The Raja seat was not going to be much attraction in rains, and we have set to leave Medicari by 12 pm so as to reach Udupi by evening.
Old 7th August 2010, 10:31   #332
Team-BHP Support

The first time I went to Coorg, SH88 (Mysore-Hunsur-Coorg SH) was being tarred. Its also called the Hunsur road.
Now I hear this road is very good, as reflected in what you say. Near Hunsur, there is also CCD now,
which you can break at enjoy a good coffee.

Raja's Seat is not worth a tourist point any more, which folks flocking that place is leaps and bounds.
At best once you are done with the day's visit, you can take an evening walk to this place (provided its not raining).

What ever said and done, hats off to your spirit!
Old 7th August 2010, 11:12   #333
BHPian

Day 15 pics: Journey to Udupi

Madicari - Puttur drive pics

Wow! Can't explain how much we enjoyed that drive! Coorg in monsoon is a must go! Driving down the hill, that greenery amidst mild/ heavy rains, and very low traffic! It all was so pleasing that we were taking our own sweet time to move away from that calm natural region. Stopped at nice little water fall en-route, seeing us few other cars also stopped there. Till Puttur, we drove slowly and enjoyed the nature that we don't get to see here.

Now the pics from this stretch..
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09185.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09186.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09190.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09194.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09199.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09200.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09202.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09203.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09207.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09210.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09211.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09212.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09215.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09218.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09220.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09238.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09216.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09236.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09239.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 7th August 2010, 11:21   #334
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Your daughter sitting on the safari with the waterfalls behind looks like baby shiva sitting on the Nandi catching ganga in his matted locks!

Old 7th August 2010, 11:25   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Near Hunsur, there is also CCD now,
which you can break at enjoy a good coffee.

What ever said and done, hats off to your spirit!
Thanks. Yes, we saw that CCD and it looked nice, but, couldn't stop as time was running out and we already have had the required break when started from Mysore.

Forgot to mention, we had exchanged a few sms with ampere when at Mysore about route and journey possibilities from Mysore to Medicari. So that had given me some idea.

BTW: @ampere. We kept looking for snakes on roads with our eyes wide open till Puttur, but, sadly couldn't spot any! Could have been a scary but interesting sight!

More pics, typical of Coorg and coastal KA region coming up.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th August 2010 at 11:32.
Old 7th August 2010, 16:12   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Your daughter sitting on the safari with the waterfalls behind looks like baby shiva sitting on the Nandi catching ganga in his matted locks!
Thanks MX6. Nice analogy that.

Day 15 continues.. Journey to Udupi

We continued to enjoy the journey. Light drizzle turned into heavy rain, and it was perfect setting to enter coastal Karnataka! We wanted to have some eating break at Puttur, but couldn't resist the temptation to take the bypass, and found no doable restaurant on bypass. Hence, continued towards Mangalore. Had a pits and diesel break, though. Traffic increased on joining BLR-Mangalore highway. And it became really heavy near Mangalore bypass (I mean when we joined NH17). Finally, we stopped around 5.30 pm at a good looking restaurant on M'lore bypass amidst wet roads and heavy truck traffic as a flyover was under construction.

Now some more pics..
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09250.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09267.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09272.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09273.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09279.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09283.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09285.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09286.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09288.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09293.jpg  

Old 7th August 2010, 16:26   #337
Senior - BHPian

LDL sirji, Madikeri not Medicari.

Nice progress and snaps. Its green green and wet everywhere

When did they relay NH17? It was a horror some time back. How was it all the way till Karwar, if that was your route?

Last edited by laluks : 7th August 2010 at 16:28.
Old 7th August 2010, 16:26   #338
BHPian

Day 15: More pics from Drive to Udupi:

Amazing NH 17..

PS: Thanks laluks for the correction,
I really wrote it wrongly.

Yes, NH 17 was newly laid. It was fantastic for most of the stretch. Was messy/ potholed in and around Bhatkal, though. We took it from M'lore to Ankola.
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09298.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09304.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09309.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09314.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09328.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09329.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09337.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09340.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09342.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09343.jpg  

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th August 2010 at 16:35.
Old 7th August 2010, 16:57   #339
BHPian

Day 16: Krishna math and other temple, and Hotel pics, Udupi

We had good time at the restaurant at M'lore. Once that traffic mess was cleared, the drive became a pure bliss on newly laid NH17 in those fantastic conditions - greenery, water all around; black smooth road and sun-set time! We were fresh! and enjoyed that drive.

In Udupi, we asked for Hotel Kediyoor which was mentioned by HVK sir, were told to go near bus stand, I found space there for parking, parked, and walked to the Hotel which was nearby, It was very good, excellent management, receptionist told the room rent. It was too less then what I expected! . He asked to bring the vehicle to parking area. Jumping in joy, I came back and soon we were taken to an excellent room.

There parking, room service, hygiene, speed of response, management, everything impressed us tremendously. So much so that while relaxing with a coffee in room, I sent a sms to HVK sir, thanking him for guiding to such a nice yet so cheap place! Even after considering off season effect, it was real VFM.

Will write rest later. Enjoy pics till then.
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09356.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09358.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09359.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09354.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09352.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09357.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09360.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09362.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09364.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09376.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09379.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09380.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09382.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09383.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09385.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09386.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09390.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09392.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 7th August 2010, 17:14   #340
BHPian

Day 16: Pics from Udupi

Malpe beach photos

Kaup beach coming up nextWriting will take time, attaching pics first

PS: MX6 sirji, we have reached right there in 'your domain'. You said to do it, and so did
we!!
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09407.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09415.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09417.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09418.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09419.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09420.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09424.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09425.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09473.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09474.jpg  

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th August 2010 at 17:18.
Old 7th August 2010, 17:39   #341
BHPian

Day 16: Pics from Udupi

Kaup beach

It was cleaner then Malpe,
and there was also a small restaurant and normally required eatables were available.

Me and our son entered into the sea
(though not too far, so as to make it unsafe!). Took many pics, though not posting all of them here, obviously.

Malpe water contained so much extraneous items! It was pathetic, though crowd was very less, but, didn't find it worth a bath!

Our daughter enjoyed making sand castles, and we made her taste (I mean a pseudo-bath' NOT taste by drinking!!) the salt water despite her reluctance.

Wifey only had a typical standing photo session inside the water!!

At Kaup, we too gents really enjoyed a lot in water. Thugh due to monsoon season, the water was muddy, but, still it was far better then the Malpe. Spent lot of time, but, didn't climb the tower there.

Now Kaup beach pics
Attached Thumbnails
We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09502.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09504.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09510.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09511.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09512.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09514.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09515.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09516.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09517.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09520.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09525.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09527.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09528.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09529.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09533.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09535.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09591.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09595.jpg  

We dreamt it, we did it - Our 20 days family road trip to South in Black Tigress-dsc09629.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 7th August 2010 at 17:41.
Old 7th August 2010, 21:10   #342
Team-BHP Support

The beach looks really clean LDL! What a drive you would have had!
Coorg to Puttur should have been amazing.
Old 7th August 2010, 21:46   #343
MX6
Senior - BHPian

MX6 Sirji?

Arre. You are LDL Sirji. I'm just MX6. So happy to see you in Udupi and nearby areas. And thanks for visiting and posting photos of Kaup.

The next time you go down there, try staying in Bhoo Varaha Complex.
It's right next to the Krishna temple. 2 mins walk. It's clean and VFM too.
Nowadays they have banned all vehicles in car street. So Bhoo varaha complex is a great place to stay with parking also. And Dwarika (ice-cream and fast-food), Woodlands hotel and Mitra samaj are within 5 mins walk.

I'm happy to see you writing so many amazing things here LDL
Old 8th August 2010, 10:26   #344
BHPian

Quote:
MX6 Sirji?

Arre. You are LDL Sirji. I'm just MX6. So happy to see you in Udupi and nearby areas. And thanks for visiting and posting photos of Kaup.

I'm happy to see you writing so many amazing things here LDL
Thanks. Sirji - to salute your knowledge and interest specially about that region.

Yes, this was just introduction to 'Wet Karnataka', shall have a more relaxed and focussed sojourn (leaving NH17 and moving inside) in that region in future. Also one exclusive trip to Kerala is on cards, one to Goa or can combine Goa and western ghats of Karnataka. Then one to east coast..and the list goes on.. But, before that a taste of Himalayas, possibly Kashmir!! Oh, let me come out of this dreamy-greedy world!!

Story resumes:
Day 16 continues..

Started the day with
very good breakfast at Hotel room itself. Took guidance from reception, went to Sri Krishna temple visit by an auto, felt good having a good dose of spirituality along with the history. returned to hotel, took out shorts, towels, etc, boarded the car and headed to malpe first...then Kaup.

Though previous night it was raining in plenty, but this day was bright sunshine and humid, with no marks of rain! Our plan was to leave Udupi by 3 pm, but, thanks to Kaup beach fun, we could reach back the hotel by 4 only. Then having bath and getting things ready, much needed tea, etc, took time. Finally, could leave by 4.45 pm only. We liked hotel so much, that if we had one more day, could have relaxed and stayed that evening there itself. But, my policy most of the time is to reach the place in evening and start sight-seeing next morning, as early morning start, are difficult with kids.

The drive again was fantastic, as on previous day. water, greenery and excellent road!

Stopped at Marvanthe beach.
It was a perfect setting for a beach as sun was about to set! Our daughter was sleeping in her mother's lap, so they couldn't come out; but, me and sun roamed around, had coconut-paani, took lot of snaps, breeze was pleasing. Finally, left after 20 mints break.

Marvanthe Pics and rest of the story coming up..
Old 8th August 2010, 10:30   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Marvanthe Pics and rest of the story coming up..
Maravanthe is one of my favourite spots, one of the nature's wonders one side is sea, another side is river, sperated by a road.

LDL, your travelogue would be a benchmark for people from north while they visit south India. great work in documenting all the things you did over this long long drive.

StarVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed