Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2010, 20:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ramkya sir

It seems you made an amazing start for a very exciting story.
Photographs are fantastic, especially the one where you are sitting on the road and no swift has run over you.

lookforward to the next parts of the story.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:02   #32
BHPian

Amazing pictures there. Hooked on to this thread.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
25th-Leh
26th-Leh-K-Top-Nubra
27th-Nubra-Pangong
28th-Buffer
29th-Pangong - Tso Moriri
30th-Tso Moriri - Sarchu
01st-Sarchu-Manali
02st-Manali Buffer
03rd-Manali-Delhi
04th-Delhi-A'hmedabad.

======
not to hijack your thread but What a coincidence.. we did

27 Delhi Leh Boeing 737-400 (lotus hotel)
28 Leh Khardungla Leh (Lotus Hotel)
29 Pangong (camp pangong resort)
30 Chumthang - Tso Moriri (Normadic camp)
1 Jul Tsokar - Sarchu (goldrop camp)
2 Jul Manali (Johnson Hotel)
3 Jul Manali Delhi (Volvo BR7)
4 Jul Del Mumbai (Airbus 219)

We flew into Leh, hired Innovas till manali and a Volvo BR7 from Manali to Delhi. Thus a travelogue would not be appropriate, but a photologue? Coming up.
Old 5th July 2010, 20:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
Obviously, you had a great time in Ladakh so please keep us enriching with information, anecdotes and loads of pictures.

You must have stopped at “Peeda” between Batote and Ramban. This Dhaba has balcony on the backside that gives you the majestic view of the breathtaking “Baglihar” Hydro Electric project being constructed on River Chinab. This Dhaba is famous for its “Rajma Chawal” and “Anardana Cheatnee”. The food standard has gone down a bit since the founder of the Dhaba died and his sons took over (Broke it into 2. Doesn’t it sound familiar). When on this highway, I always stop there.
This is the world famous place for Rajmah, Chawal, Pure Desi Ghee, and Anardane Ki Chatni. The Place is called Peerah.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh-docked-dscf5764.jpg  

Styler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 22:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
not to hijack your thread but What a coincidence.. we did

27 Delhi Leh Boeing 737-400 (lotus hotel)
28 Leh Khardungla Leh (Lotus Hotel)
29 Pangong (camp pangong resort)
30 Chumthang - Tso Moriri (Normadic camp)
1 Jul Tsokar - Sarchu (goldrop camp)
2 Jul Manali (Johnson Hotel)
3 Jul Manali Delhi (Volvo BR7)
4 Jul Del Mumbai (Airbus 219)

We flew into Leh, hired Innovas till manali and a Volvo BR7 from Manali to Delhi. Thus a travelogue would not be appropriate, but a photologue? Coming up.
Quiet a co-incididence!! Hired a whole Volvo, how many were you, that Innova must have been a convoy?

We chose 26th at Pangong for the full moon day, guess we were a few days apart. A Photologue would be great.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

That was a grand beginning for the travelogue. Ramky, you appear to have beaten your own timings from Ahmedabad to Delhi - was the road widening after Jaipur a speed breaker?

Did you go through Ludhiana city? How bad were the traffic jams at the PB-JK border?
Is road widening in NH1A between Jalandhar and Pathankot and from Madhopur to Dyala Chowk happening?

Did I hear you say that the flyovers in Pathankot town are done?

Any contact details of the Udhampur (tariff?) and Srinagar hotels?
Old 5th July 2010, 23:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Zojila knocked me out!!!!

HVK, let me check records, will give full details. Thanks for all your telephonic guidance and updates.

=============

19th June: From reports we had, the days ride had to be difficult. People had practically scared the proverbial pants off me (even after I had the my belts on tight) by quotes like "craters that can sink trucks", "pot holes that break radiators", "moon like surface" !!!!!

With trepidation we started on a very cold morning, by now our shorts were packed away, cold guests of wind were sneaking through and freezing "you-know-what's" already, the wollies were on top of the rucksacks and only a snap away. I had the maximum fear, being the oldest of the lot. My fear was unexpressed and unstated, but knotting my intestines neverthless, so started drinking electral laced water unconsciously. My younger companions were unmindfully downing parathas, chappatas, omlets and breads and whatever that comes at arms lengths, while all I could eat was morsels which further fueled my fears, something bad is going to happen to me????

We got into NH1D after an endless chakkar around the Dal lake, nobody around 6 AM, the GPS guiding the way, finally we saw a homo sapie and he pointed the way, we were on the right track. We were looking for a fuel station, were becoming alarmed as for the next 27 KMs nothing was visible, suddenly it was raining fuel stations, 4-5 in a cluester27 kms later, 4-5 of them before Gandharball toll gate !!! Kagan and Gund passed by, OK roads and reached Sonamarg town, we picked up a crate of water as an armiy convoy trundeled by lazily. Talked to a taxi driver and quietly asked, "How's Zojila?", he looked at me with pity and said, "OK, your car would pass", but the look on his face by the look on my face told the story, the kntts on my tummy did a Jackie Chan flop, my face become paler. When I got back into the car, Jiggy and Prajesh asked me, "what's the news", I did'n't want to tell them what I heard so I said, "Zojila is OK", they were visibly relieved!!

We started the climb slowly, the surface was bad, boulders, pebbles, small craters, thankfully not water filled ones, needed a lot of 2nd and 1st gear, the Wolt had a lot of torque to beat them all. Came to a dead stop @ 11558 feets at 0930 AM for the downcoming traffic from Drass side, the soldiers were regulating traffic, found most of them talking on Malayalam and Tamil, even on the walkies!!!!! Had to wait for an hour plus for the traffic an an army convoy to pass.

The climb up after that was worse, for the next 10 kms, I had to stitch a careful path through boulders, slush and huge crators, the height was getting to me, I was finding driving difficult. A banging head-ache was tolling in my head, all my fears were snowballing out of control, stopped, got out and started vomiting!!!! I must have taken in about 2-3 liters of water but what came out seemed like 20, lookekd helplessless at my companions, they seemed OK, shaken but not stirred kind of people, I was a goner as far as focused driving was concerned. Jiggy said accusingly, "you said Zojila was OK, you are not OK", well....... what can I say.

Handed over the key to Prajesh first time only knowing he is a long distance driver with experience. He adopted to the Wolt like a duck to water and I passed out in the middle row.

30 minutes later I woke up with a start, the car was still and nobldy was inside, for a minute I thought my friends have gone to call a medic. Gingerly opened the doors, got out and saw them clicking away and striking poses with Drass river in the background. Things were Okey Dokey afterall. We roll on past, my head was also rolling, reach our hotel for the day, Hotel Caravan Serai on a small hillock. Nice place, OK food and what we expected, this would form our base for the next 2-3 days, would recommend it highly.

------------
Attached Thumbnails
Leh-docked-img_0400.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0404.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0405.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0407.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0408.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0413.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0414.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0415.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0416.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0421.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0423.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0425.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0427.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0429.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0433.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0435.jpg  

Leh-docked-img_0442.jpg  

Last edited by ramkya1 : 5th July 2010 at 23:22.
ramkya1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2010, 23:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That was a grand beginning for the travelogue. Ramky, you appear to have beaten your own timings from Ahmedabad to Delhi - was the road widening after Jaipur a speed breaker?

Did you go through Ludhiana city? How bad were the traffic jams at the PB-JK border?
Is road widening in NH1A between Jalandhar and Pathankot and from Madhopur to Dyala Chowk happening?

Did I hear you say that the flyovers in Pathankot town are done?

Any contact details of the Udhampur (tariff?) and Srinagar hotels?
Yes, I belted the Wolt a little more than usual, was cruising mostly 120+, throuoghout the trip it behaved amazingly, the torque at any gear is a please to experience. Yes, the traffic blocks at Shahpura and other junctions are a pain, but we buldozed through, as you can find from the exel sheet of trip logs.

We went through the city, not much of a problem. The border also was OK for us, one cop tried to flag me down, I flashed my lights and drove at him, he jumped out of the way.

Yes, road widening is happening and slowing down traffic between Jalandhar to Jammu section, there are switch backs but many sections are done.

Dont remember specifically about Pathankoat flyover.

Udhampur we were at Hotel Dolphin, Anuridh gave me the contacts, it was 1400/- non A/C with extra bed, but lovely rooms, will give you numbers later.

Srinagar was fixed by my colleague, not the best, but for a 3 bed, it was 1200/- and near the lake, was OK, I guess.

------

Last edited by ramkya1 : 5th July 2010 at 23:18.
Old 5th July 2010, 23:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

All set and packed for Kargil.
Leh-docked-22.jpg

Near Sonmarg
Leh-docked-23.jpg

SONMARG
Leh-docked-24.jpg
Leh-docked-25.jpg
Leh-docked-26.jpg

Waiting for the Army convoy to pass.
Leh-docked-30.jpg
Leh-docked-32.jpg
Leh-docked-33.jpg
Leh-docked-34.jpg

Some civilization on the way
Leh-docked-35.jpg

Hotel Caravan - Kargil
Leh-docked-36.jpg
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2010, 00:58   #40
Senior - BHPian

I had a day out today. I come back and see a thread on Leh. First Post at 1230 today. Now its running in third page.

ramkya sir great going. Excellent pics. My 5*. I will follow this thread. I am subscribed.

This mountain sickness feeling is terrible. It screws the entire day. I am sure you must have woken up fit and fine the next day.
BTW the loading of stuff in back was not well organised. Looks like needs a ladies touch. I pity the collin spray.
Request : please post more pics of the beast. . I could see few till now.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 6th July 2010 at 01:01.
Old 6th July 2010, 07:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ rekshenoy: I use a Cannon SX 20 IS, KP uses a Nikkon and he's very good with it. Jiggy had an old Cannon (not sure) so small and very effective too.

======
Sir ji,
Correction :Jiggy had a SONY T1 P&S cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Request : please post more pics of the beast. . I could see few till now.
This is just the beginning. Hang on.
Old 6th July 2010, 08:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quiet a co-incididence!! Hired a whole Volvo, how many were you, that Innova must have been a convoy?

We chose 26th at Pangong for the full moon day, guess we were a few days apart. A Photologue would be great.
25 of us.
5 innovas in convoy
Whole Volvo was
Photos coming up separately. Actually was looking out for TBHP stickers and disappointed not to spot one.
Old 6th July 2010, 08:22   #43
BHPian

Hey Ramkya Sir,

great trip, the pictures are super nice.

awaiting for more pics from the jaunt.

will catch you later.

K
Old 6th July 2010, 08:32   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
25 of us.
5 innovas in convoy
Whole Volvo was
Photos coming up separately. Actually was looking out for TBHP stickers and disappointed not to spot one.
Wooh ! 5 Innovas in convoy would have been fun.

When we reached Kargil, that day evening we saw a black Scorpio MH reg with TBHP sticker in the same hotel parking. Later came to know those guys had already conquered Ladakh and were on their way back to Mumbai.
Old 6th July 2010, 08:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pictures, bringing back the memories!

Quote:
our hotel for the day, Hotel Caravan Serai on a small hillock. Nice place, OK food and what we expected, this would form our base for the next 2-3 days, would recommend it highly.
I'm happy to see that someone other than us liked Caravan Serai! We had rooms on the top floor & we enjoyed the food & the service. But everyone else who has stayed there has cribbed about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks