Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 17:24   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ramky, we put our car at the same spot, and indeed it rolled "uphill". Then I put the rubber ball(which I purchased from leh for 10rs for precisely this reason) and it also rolled "uphill".
As for GPS track, since granularity is in meters, its impossible to ascertain a couple of feet of difference via GPS.
Just did some digging on the web about gravity hills, saw some videos on them and Magnetic hill, Leh, looks like it's an optical illusion, but a powerful one at that. Canada, Italy and USA has many spots too.

When the reference point of a hirizionis not available, the upslope can be really seem like down slope, what a spooky feeling and what a world
Old 7th July 2010, 17:35   #107
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the logs. The altitude is clearly rising.
Here's photo 1.
Leh-docked-mh1.jpg
You have traversed from point B to A. Pardon me naming B as origin and A as end. Normally we all travel from A to B, but I like to do things different.
You do notice that you have marked Magnetic hill close to point A.

Now look at second photo which shows the speed, altitude and the time reached at both points B and A and the direction arrows which shows HVK moving frm Point B to A.
Leh-docked-mh2.jpg
Now Point B is at an altitude of 3.408 kms and Point A is higher at 3.414 kms. And you have taken 9 seconds to move from Point B to A in which you have actually climbed up 60 cms as per GPS. And if you have travelled this 9 seconds at 42 kms of average speed as evident from the second photo which shows speed at point B as 42.6 and speed at Point A as 42.3 kph (you have gone down marginally by 300 meter per hour speed in the 9 seconds of climb), you have traveresed a distance of 42000*9/3600 meters, which works out to 105 meters.
So the 100 odd meters you have actually climbed up 60 cms, so one can work out the gradient. Though less, it is still upslope. So when one stops at magnetic hill, though it's downslope from where you have come, the optical illusion clearly makes it look like upslope and you start rolling back from 3.414 meters to 3.408 meters above msl!
Just for records, the next point beyond magnet hill, you further climb up to 3.419 kms.
And the point before B you are further below at 3.398 kms.
So it's a clear case of rolling down the slope that looks like rolling against the slope due to an optical illusion.
Thanks HVK for the logs.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2010, 17:39   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I'm a science student and majored in Botany so the numbers and calculations fog me. Ramky, did you have a sextant with you to measure these numbers?

Secondly, what has this got to do with switching off the engine? Does a running engine generate counter magnetism to nullify the so called "magnetic effect" at the magnetic hill?
Love the lines... you'd kill me....

I was searching for a theodolite, could not lay my hands one one, did not think of carrying one on the reserve pack too

The guy told me to switch off and I did, thought it was part of the SOP. May be he wanted to make sure we do not spook the car pulling spirits away
Old 7th July 2010, 17:39   #109
Senior - BHPian

MX6, are you a mathematician by profession, choice or hobby? All your calculations and detailed explanations went above the head but what registered was one is actually rolling downhill while appearing to go uphill.
Old 7th July 2010, 17:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
So it's a clear case of rolling down the slope that looks like rolling against the slope due to an optical illusion.
Whew! That was a close call
Old 7th July 2010, 18:03   #111
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MX6, are you a mathematician by profession, choice or hobby? All your calculations and detailed explanations went above the head but what registered was one is actually rolling downhill while appearing to go uphill.
I'm bursting out laughing here GD.

I'm in the IT field. So I have been groomed to put the simplest of concepts in the most complex terminologies.

Yes. It's clearly rolling down hill as the altitude keeps increasing with every point logged in gps in that stretch. But the optical illusion makes it look like it's rolling up hill!

And yes, I'm not a software engineer though.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:13   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks HVK for the logs.
Thats a great job done to make us all understand. A very good utilization of HVK's treasure.

Quote:
You have summed it up all. Thats what is happening in layman's (me,you and many others) term.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 7th July 2010 at 18:14.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm a science student and majored in Botany so the numbers and calculations fog me. Ramky, did you have a sextant with you to measure these numbers?
Wow, really, do you remember making slides of mitosis or meiosis from onion roots, and all those weird plant studies, Deshbandhu college, am I right?

Quote:
Here's photo 1.
And the point before B you are further below at 3.398 kms.
Thanks HVK for the logs.
I will need some time understand that, I majored in zoology .

Last edited by rkbharat : 7th July 2010 at 18:15.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:24   #114
Team-BHP Support

MX6 is right. The rubber ball test confirmed it. If there had been a magnetic phenomena, two things would have happened.
1. The compass which I always carry(its a backup to my GPS) should have shown wrong bearings. A strong magentic field will always try to align the compass towards it
2. the rubber ball should have rolled in the opposite direction.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:25   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ramky, we put our car at the same spot, and indeed it rolled "uphill". Then I put the rubber ball(which I purchased from leh for 10rs for precisely this reason) and it also rolled "uphill".
How can one attribute it to optical illusion when a car as well as a ball does the same? I am confused.

Murthy
Old 7th July 2010, 18:35   #116
Senior - BHPian

KP, are you somewhere around????

Start uploading your pictures from Kargil -Leh and divert the attention before this becomes a magnetic thread and becomes the MIT classroom

=======
Old 7th July 2010, 18:35   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
How can one attribute it to optical illusion when a car as well as a ball does the same? I am confused.

Murthy
I think tsk was typing the answer when you were framing the question. He was faster than you in thinking the answer.

Just kidding.. read previous posts and the answer is just above your post.
Old 7th July 2010, 18:38   #118
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post

Murthy
Let me put it in simple words.

The car appeared to move up slope. So people thought it's due to magnetic field/ pull and called the hill magnetic hill.
The rubber ball also moved in same direction so it was clearly not due to magnetism
so what made these move "up-hill"?
Analysing gps logs we find that it's actually up hill, but the road looked down hill, due to optical illusion. The surrounding objects where at an angle which made this illusion.
SO when the vehicle and the ball rolled down, it was because the road was going down hill back wards from where you came and not as perceived as up hill!
Now why this illusion? Earth is a strange place! we used to think it was flat till some centuries back.
Old 7th July 2010, 19:00   #119
BHPian

Hey Ramky Sir, your narration & a few of your snaps really highlight the levels of excitement within you, which is wonderful. Please continue ASAP!

Quote:

There's one more such mystery spot in California where things roll up the incline. More than Magnetism, I think it is to do with centre of gravity!
Hey MX6, I went there in 2007 and I think the reason why a person has to lean over is because of the fact that the property is built over an incline. You think the floor is level, but it ain't! So you gotta compensate by leaning forward or backward.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:41   #120
Senior - BHPian

WOW Ramkya and KP and Jiggy. What a trip. Congrats for choosing this journey as i feel its worth travelling as life is short and so should see all what god has to offer.

AMAZING pics. and the way you tell the story is simply amazing.

The ball rolling in the same direction had me and the Explanation by MX was simply awesome. Felt like reading fluid mechanics where you just understand something like 20% of whats written.

No offence man just kidding but amazing way to confirm all theories. Awesome

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks