Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2010, 21:04   #121
BHPian

Thanks again for the awesome pics Ramkya Sir! And MX, you have proved again to me why I never got above 40 in Science and Maths...!!
Old 7th July 2010, 21:52   #122
Team-BHP Support

Awesome snaps!
Esp. "The 3-IDs on the endless road!"

Beautiful!
Old 7th July 2010, 22:26   #123
Senior - BHPian

MX6 (or shall I call you Ramanujam!), I did not understand your maths, but I rethought and am restating your hypothesis in a different way:

B is Kargil side, A is Leh side.
The Magnetic Hill signboard/"box" is at the point marked "869" at the bottom of the picture, not the red "308" at the top.
I came "up" a slope through magnetic forces from A to B. (trace the arrows moving from A to B, or the arrows moving from B to A)
I thought I was being pulled up a "up slope"
But you can see that the altitude is coming down from 3416 mtrs to 3387 mtrs, which I thought was the top of the slope.
YOU WIN!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Leh-docked-mh.jpg  

Last edited by hvkumar : 7th July 2010 at 22:31.
Old 7th July 2010, 22:44   #124
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That's right. Just that I went to minute details like analysing the speed at each point and the time distance to calculate the distance as well between the points as your logs gave latitude - longitude - altitude. I can't calculate the distance unless I have a measuring tape or simple speed * time to traverse those two points to get the elapsed distance.
Yes. It's a constant climb from point B to A. You stop there, you roll back from point A to B and the altitude goes down as per your gps logs, but the terrain looks the other way due to the illusion. Could it be because of continental shift, that every other thing is trying to climb up at an angle which gives this illusion?

Please don't call me Ramanujam. He's a great mathematician. I'm a bored non IT guy in an IT industry!

OT. I did see at some places you hit speeds as high as 125 kph in this leh stretch. heh heh Mr. Schumakumar!

Last edited by MX6 : 7th July 2010 at 22:45.
Old 8th July 2010, 00:55   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
"To go or not to go" has been gonging in the bell-fry every waking day throughout last year. The pain of watching so many close people and many others drive-by was eating away all exposed neurons, the gong has become a toll, the dull pain has ripped loose firing all 6, this can't wait for more. Decision time, let everything else freeze for now, I need to drive to Leh, come what may and ASAP.
The Plan;
16th-Ahmedabad-Behroor
17th-Udhampur
18th-Srinagar
19th-Kargil
20th-Kargil-Padum
21st-Buffer
22nd-Padum-Kargil
23rd-Kargil-Leh
24th-Leh
25th-Leh
26th-Leh-K-Top-Nubra
27th-Nubra-Pangong
28th-Buffer
29th-Pangong - Tso Moriri
30th-Tso Moriri - Sarchu
01st-Sarchu-Manali
02st-Manali Buffer
03rd-Manali-Delhi
04th-Delhi-A'hmedabad.

======
Wow... what a way to start a travelogue!! Brilliant pic.
Looking forward for more updates and pics.

Looking at your plan I just realised we ( Bangalore Bolero Club Group) were there few days before you guys. We started from BLR on 6th and reached LEH on 15 and back to BLR on 26th.
Our trip report is in the final stages.. will be posted here soon.
Old 8th July 2010, 02:19   #126
BHPian

Amazing landscapes.

Everytime I see a Leh Tlog on Tbhp that 'ache' inside to go there soon becomes stronger.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-dsc_0130.jpg

The way the green river marges with the muddy one is amazing... Such a contrast.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:03   #127
Senior - BHPian

Photos Mix Up, Credit Goes To Prajesh

Hotstuff and otheres:

I was checking the photos today, due to a confusion in the folders Prajesh's and mine got mixed and I have posted in my Post No. 91 and 102 all the photos of Prajesh as mine. While downsizing Irfan view has processed the whole series as mine and even watermarked some of them as mine, sorry KP.

So the credit for those brilliant photos, 3 idiots and stff, the last 10-15 photos or so, goes to Prajesh. He was the cinematographer of the trip and told us to pose and took lots of pains in each shot.

Will start the Leh part of the Travalogues sometimes tomorrow.......

In the meantime, the magneteic discussion seems to be boiling.

========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 8th July 2010 at 10:12.
Old 8th July 2010, 10:11   #128
BHPian

This thread is becoming mother of all threads. It has covered only ~30% of the Travel and is already running into 9 pages. The subjects and objects like solar energy, magnetism, gravity, sextant, fluid mechanics, GPS log interpretation, optical illusion, mathematics, botany, zoology and what not have already been discussed (or refered to). Way to go sir.
God knows what all will be discussed when worlds like TSO and La will come up in the thread.

HVK Sir, I would love to analyze your (Data) treasure some day. I was interested in knowing if the data accumulated is in some/any constant format.

MX6, How about building a software application to do so.
Old 8th July 2010, 11:35   #129
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
MX6, How about building a software application to do so.
There are already enough freewares that help you analyse it. That's the sole reason I bought the garmin so that I can work on the gps logs to analyse loads of things. But been kept busy at Home, T-bhp and work (in that order).
How is it with you Kaul? We didnt' see any updates on the french travelogue for long. Kaul has forgotten Gaul is it?

@Ramkya sir. The magnetic stuff has simmered now. We are eagerly waiting for your travelogue and photos. Illusion or not, nothing can take away the magic you guys are weaving with those photos and descriptions!
Old 8th July 2010, 14:15   #130
Senior - BHPian

Ramky Sir, just finished reading the entire thread over 3 days and what an awesome journey with some really good photographs.

Coming to the discussion of Magnetic Hill, let me first tell you that the white is marked in the wrong ( atleast it was last year). After the box, if you proceed a few meters (towards leh side) the road dips. We told by the Army guys to stop there and try and the vehicle did roll-up. Here is the video of my Bolero climbing up the hill.

Old 8th July 2010, 17:55   #131
Senior - BHPian

Aaah the lab memories... interphase, prophase, metaphase, anaphase, and telophase..all these came rushing back...

Sorry for

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Wow, really, do you remember making slides of mitosis or meiosis from onion roots, and all those weird plant studies, Deshbandhu college, am I right?
Old 8th July 2010, 18:09   #132
Senior - BHPian

Amazing video. MileCruncher do u mean to say the vehicle in the video was moving under magnetic effect? It was moving pretty fast.

Now, If I am correct as per my knowledge a magnet has two poles and in this case the two poles can be with the plane parallel to road or vertical to road (one of the poles in earth). No need to discuss an oblique case.

Case 1
So, in first case when the N-S poles are along the road, if the vehicle gets pulled due magnetic attraction from when approaching then the opposite should happen when its moving away from centre of the magnet i.e. he vehice getting pulled back. And if that was the speed of getting pulled in (video), the vehicle would be thrown out with great force when it moves in opposite direction.

Case 2
In the second case, the vehicle would either feel attraction from both directions or repulsion. This effect should be equal on both sides of the centre of magnet.

However, by explanation it seems that here the vehicles "feel" magnetic attraction from one side which is not possible. I stand by MX6 explanation. This ought to be an optical illusion.

Anyone to comment on this attraction.

@ramky : sorry, this thread has indeed lots of magnetism .
Old 8th July 2010, 18:20   #133
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Guys. Try this next time. Hang a magnet from a thread and let it dangle free.

There used to be a time when Tamil movies showed villains coming on helicopters with powerful magnets to lift the hero's car from the road and try smote it from an altitude. Hero climbs out of the car, up the chain, in to the chopper, and we all clapped to see the climax! Guess we haven't grown out of that fixation still!
Old 8th July 2010, 18:41   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Amazing video. MileCruncher do u mean to say the vehicle in the video was moving under magnetic effect? It was moving pretty fast.
I don't know whether its magnetic effect or optical illusion, but there is definitely something. I was in the car and the engine was turned on for the brakes to be effective. I had come to a stand still at the dip and the vehicle got pulled up the slope reaching almost 40 KMPH IIRC and I had to brake hard.

@MX6: Even I was a sceptic, till I experienced it myself. I don't know what it is but I don't think its a simple optical illusion. I suggest you a make trip to experience it yourself.

I met a Army Col., who showed me the correct position to check the phenomenon. He also told me that they have tried it with spirit level and then tried tricks with fully loaded Stallions and the phenomenon works every time.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 8th July 2010 at 18:45.
Old 8th July 2010, 18:50   #135
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Ramkya sir. Please kick start your logue again with some killer photos. The magnetic stuff is now becoming very repulsive

@MCruncher. Yes. thanks for the suggestion. I would love to experience this! As they say, seeing is believing.

There's a place in Florida called Wonder works. It's a grand place where they try to use scientific principles to conjure up imagery and devices that are unbelievable. I used to frequent that place a lot. They also explain the science behind it.

And regarding things rolling up slope, there's an exhibit in the science museum near worli sea face in Mumbai which shows how Centre of gravity can create such illusions! Will try record that when I next go to Mumbai.

Most Viewed