Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 11:47   #376
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic things to have in your kit, Ramky.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:52   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ramky, regarding traction, rubber mats are always better.
We used them extensively in Rajasthan, when a fellow members 3.0 4x4 got stuck in sand.
Regarding other tools, before my 2009 Ladakh trip, I bought a lot of spanners, along with tow rope and shackes and a hydraulic jack(A god send I must say!)
We also got a big shovel, but this time I decided not to take it, as it was too big. I am still searching for a small compact shovel. The one at hometown is too flimsy and costs 350rs!

Also got myself a foot pump and thinks like jumper cables.

Recently I took an old suitcase, and put all the stuff inside the suitcase for neat storage.
Rubber mats makes sense, easy to roll and store than the wire mesh. The suitcase is a great idea, will start searching for one, all my assorted stuff can got into that.

As for the pump, got an electrical one, tested out, took 10 minutes to raise 3 points for one tyre, pretty slow and looks flimsy. Have a foot pump too, most people seem to have confidance on the mechanical one, wonder why?

Picture of the pump.....

Leh-docked-img_2032.jpg
Old 29th July 2010, 12:12   #378
Senior - BHPian

At high altitudes, the electric pump is a failure. Due to the expansion or increase in volume at high altitudes, the pressure of air inside the tyre is much much higher than what the electric pump dishes out. Hence it won't fill.

In those situations, the mechanical pump is the best bet. We learnt it the hard way. The fact that one of us also had a foot-pump, saved the blues.

Another must have tool, IMO, is the high-lift jack. Roshun owns one and had carried. It saved us from two tricky situations.

And Ramky pick up that shovel from me, that was given as a gift by Prajesh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
As for the pump, got an electrical one, tested out, took 10 minutes to raise 3 points for one tyre, pretty slow and looks flimsy. Have a foot pump too, most people seem to have confidance on the mechanical one, wonder why?

Picture of the pump.....

Attachment 395735
Old 29th July 2010, 12:57   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
At high altitudes, the electric pump is a failure. Due to the expansion or increase in volume at high altitudes, the pressure of air inside the tyre is much much higher than what the electric pump dishes out. Hence it won't fill.

In those situations, the mechanical pump is the best bet. We learnt it the hard way. The fact that one of us also had a foot-pump, saved the blues.

Another must have tool, IMO, is the high-lift jack. Roshun owns one and had carried. It saved us from two tricky situations.

And Ramky pick up that shovel from me, that was given as a gift by Prajesh..
Wow.... that's useful inforamtion. The high-lift jack is specially useful when you get stuck? Any other reason to carry this in high altitude? When we had to change the tyre near Rangdum, the stock jack was fine.

The shovel is a momento of love and affection from us; would not think of taking it back

=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 29th July 2010 at 13:01.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:53   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Logically you are right. But it worked well for me in Leh city and at Hanle. Though I was carrying both Electrical and foot wala. Once in Leh, I found psi to 20, there was a puncture. but no time to repair. So filled to 32psi in one go. No drama. The one I bought is little sturdy
Old 30th July 2010, 14:23   #381
Senior - BHPian

2 other contraptions that could be useful in long distance teravel.....

An inverter which also has a USB charger.
Leh-docked-img_2040.jpg
Leh-docked-img_2041.jpg

A bottle of Collins and a chinese gizmo for cleaning the windshield, an extreamely useful combination. We used this very oten, helped us to keep the glasses clean and shining...

Leh-docked-img_2055.jpg

========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th July 2010 at 14:28.
Old 30th July 2010, 14:34   #382
BHPian

Nice posting ramky. Even I have planned a trip to leh from namakkal
Old 30th July 2010, 14:48   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
2 other contraptions that could be useful in long distance teravel.....

An inverter which also has a USB charger.
Attachment 396322
Attachment 396323

A bottle of Collins and a chinese gizmo for cleaning the windshield, an extreamely useful combination. We used this very oten, helped us to keep the glasses clean and shining...

Attachment 396321

========
Long back I had read somewhere against 'Colin' usage on Car Windshield. Anyways, sometimes if required I spray 'Mr.Muscle Glass Cleaner' which a is decent performer.

Even, few times (when time permitted), I 'stick' a layer of newspaper using plain water on the glass - leave it for for 10 min - later gently wipe the glass with the same wet papers OR some another dry papers. Wow, look at the shine.
Old 30th July 2010, 15:01   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Wonderful Pics Kpzen.

Ramky ji, it was pleasure meeting you in person. Time well spent
BTW you could have bought the shovel from that same place

Depends what route you plan. Xylo run there without any problem on normal tourist areas.
Sorry for high-jacking the thread and OT; Thanks RKB; Hopefully my Xylo takes me to (all) the lovely places which my seniors described herein. Does such place come to mind which is a sure NO ?
Old 30th July 2010, 15:27   #385
BHPian

Ramky, I saw 2 maruti 800's in the photos on page 18. Any idea where they were from?

I am planing a trip to Leh in this Dec with my 1993 model Maruti 800. I am currently planning the budget and route From Namakkal to Leh.

Will my 93 model maruti 800 Make up to Rohtang Pass?

Please advise.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:45   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_namakkal View Post
I am planing a trip to Leh in this Dec with my 1993 model Maruti 800. I am currently planning the budget and route From Namakkal to Leh.

In case you have any doubts about it, please take a look here. What you drive was pretty much what I drove, totally stock.
Old 30th July 2010, 17:04   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ramky, I saw 2 maruti 800's in the photos on page 18. Any idea where they were from?

Please advise.
Vinod: December is not the time for Leh, the passes would close up with the first hard snow. Planning in December is a big NO-NO, best to plan through Rothang or Srinagar before October 30th.

Around Aug/Sep, roads have the best chance of being good, slow and steady, your 800 can do it. The M800 I have seen on the route are mostly local, did not look like long distance ones. That said, many here have done long distance to Uttranchal, J&K and other hills on M800.

@ Pranav: Saw many Xylos everywhere, your Xylos can go to all the places.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th July 2010 at 17:05.
Old 30th July 2010, 18:20   #388
BHPian

Ramky, I think I will have to plan before Oct or the plan has to be postponed to 2011

What is the distance between Manali - Leh - Rohtang Pass

I have worked out a rough budget for the trip. Request your inputs

1. 5600 Kms is Namakkal - Manali - Namakkal. I will add Manali - Leh - Rohtang Pass - Leh -Manai on your reply.

2. 5600kms/12kmpl (assuming my 800 give 12kmpl on average with a/c)

3. Rs. 57*467 Liters = 26619/- for petrol alone

4. Rs. 1000*20 days = 20000/- for Accomodations (assuming Low Budget Hotels)

5. Rs. 500*20 days = 10000/- for Food (assuming Low Budget Dhabbas)

6. Rs. 10000/- for misc expenses

Total Rs. 66619/-

Any other ideas to save cost.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:04   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ramky, I think I will have to plan before Oct or the plan has to be postponed to 2011

What is the distance between Manali - Leh - Rohtang Pass

I have worked out a rough budget for the trip. Request your inputs

1. 5600 Kms is Namakkal - Manali - Namakkal. I will add Manali - Leh - Rohtang Pass - Leh -Manai on your reply.

2. 5600kms/12kmpl (assuming my 800 give 12kmpl on average with a/c)

3. Rs. 57*467 Liters = 26619/- for petrol alone

4. Rs. 1000*20 days = 20000/- for Accomodations (assuming Low Budget Hotels)

5. Rs. 500*20 days = 10000/- for Food (assuming Low Budget Dhabbas)

6. Rs. 10000/- for misc expenses

Total Rs. 66619/-

Any other ideas to save cost.
Attaching a PDF map and excel sheet of the trip log, I have already uploaded it here somwehre, but doing it again for you.. you would get an idea of the time and distances, costs I will come back to you later. The distance and a petrol car and unshared expenses make it look high, if someone shares petrol, you'd save money.

There are many otheres here who have done done Leh and can comment on this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ladakh-ramky-update6-Jan2010.pdf (193.6 KB, 437 views)
File Type: xls Logs -Abad-Srinagar-Leh-Manali-A'bad- jun2010.xls (71.0 KB, 303 views)

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th July 2010 at 19:07.
Old 30th July 2010, 19:20   #390
Team-BHP Support

Namakkal, ex delhi we did our trip
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...oof-world.html
in a total of around 40,000rs
This includes fuel for 5000kms because we attempted zanskar, hanle. tso moriri, Pangong. Nubra
Most of the cost was fuel
Then came this trip, only 14 days, Delhi to Delhi, or around 12 days of travelling.
Cost came to around 30K(3900kms)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...hronicles.html (Ladakh and Changthang : The Wilderness Chronicles)

I have detailed the expenses in the above thread.
Now many people end up spending a lot more in leh because they give away money. Remember, if you start handing out greenbacks, everyone will be ready to accept them.
For example, people are paying 800rs for a room in a guest house with no car parking. We pay 6-700 for guest houses with car parking.
As for food also, its perfectly easy to get a veg meal for 2 for 100-120rs. 3 meals a day can set you back atmost 500rs, but people tend to spend a lot more sometimes.
So in the end, its upto you to cut the cost down to 50k instead of 66K.

Most Viewed