Team-BHP - Stress buster!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Stress buster!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/85134-stress-buster-17.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 2035682)
In many travelogues related to Karnataka, i have observed those yellow sign boards put by Karnataka tourism corporation.
That is really helpful for tourist for places and distance.

"One State Many Worlds". Thats what the hoarding says.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2035686)

Thats theme line of Karnataka tourism.

''Maharashtra unlimited'' is tag line of Maharashtra tourism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarVegabond (Post 2035651)
that is becasue of Dandakaranya (=Dandeli) forest and River Kali.
Dandeli-Haliyal-Yellapur strentch is very green

Oh man, I was thinking of Dandakaranya since morning today! You mentioned it here. What a co-incidence.

But sadly, Dandakaranya doesn't stand for what you said.
Dandakaranya is more in Chattisgarh, MP, AP areas.
If you break it etymologically, Dhandaka - punishment - Aranya - forest.
The forest where people were exiled as a punishment. It was south of Vindhyas. So Rama was exiled there.
Dandaka has nothing to do with Dandeli. But local lores exists there and they've mentioned that Dandeli is Dandaka. But there's no proof for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2035672)
Since you mentioned Dandeli-Yellapur; there is a route between the two places (via Haliyaal) which bypasses Hubli and Dharward.

Yes, my friend did mention the same route. However, I had to visit Hubli for some work, and hence could not take that road. Reserved for next time....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 2035682)
That is really helpful for tourist for places and distance.
I have already suggested to put such sign boards in 12mati area to the minister from my city.

Good. Let us hope that this is taken seriously and implemented :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2035686)

Nice phrase. It is indeed true!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 2035696)
Thats theme line of Karnataka tourism.
''Maharashtra unlimited'' is tag line of Maharashtra tourism.

I like MX6's "Magnificent Maharashtra" more....

As we were passing through Ankola, we could not help but stopping over here... as already guessed, it is Lakhsmi Mahamaya Devasthanam.

Stress buster!!-img_2565.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2566.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2567.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2568.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2569.jpg

The cleanliness of the temple and their simplicity always induces a tranquility. And, there is no VIP queue - just enter and have your darshan directly in front of the lord :). Added bonus is that at many of these temples, there is accommodation available for the pilgrims to stay. Basic but neat and clean.

Wow! It just looks awesome! I am ashamed to tell, I have crossed Ankola so many times, but never once knew seen this!

@Ampere, Can I let you on to a secret? Despite traveling up and down this route, and staying in this vicinity for so long, I am yet to visit our kuldeva temple :Frustrati. May be these pictures will inspire you to make a visit.

The final pictures of the temple -

The sanctum sanctorum -
Stress buster!!-img_2570.jpg

And the courtyard / exit (or entrance) gate -
Stress buster!!-img_2571.jpg

Nice. The place actually looks very fresh!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 2038541)
Nice. The place actually looks very fresh!

Not just fresh, but neat and clean too!

Now I require your help - the next set of pictures, I can't recollect / remember which is which. That is to say, the name of the rivers. One of them is Sharavati (don't ask me which!).

Reason being - the roads started getting bad. And it was even more worse at the beginning and end of every bridge. So whenever I slowed to a crawl, my daughter kept snapping these!

The first and second are of the same one -
Stress buster!!-img_2574.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2575.jpg

the third and fourth are also same - and the evidence of the heavy rain during the week was very much evident.
Stress buster!!-img_2576.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2577.jpg

some people are fortunate and some aren't - the river has overflown, and may be washed away the planted crops...
Stress buster!!-img_2578.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2579.jpg

Ultimately, we made it to Udupi - by 9.00 PM. Ankola to Udupi took about 4 hours for a distance of about 180 kms! In all, from Pune it took 16 hours and 500+ kms to reach Udupi. Whew! Hit the sack, at the tried and tested and trusted Sharada International!!

Water has really played havoc.
Perfect symphony of Beauty and the Beast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 2038921)
Now I require your help - the next set of pictures, I can't recollect / remember which is which. That is to say, the name of the rivers. One of them is Sharavati (don't ask me which!).

Kali River : at Karwar
Gangavali river : between Ankola and Madangeri
Aghanashinai river : between Kumta and Honnavar
Sharawati : immedeately after Honnavar.

if there would have been 5th major river, the name could have been Punjab instead of North Canara (named by british).

Well, one can't actually call Gangavali and Aghanashini as major rivers. Especially Aghanashini. They are small rivers.
And then you enter Udupi district, you have so many minor rivers.
Karnataka is a land of beautiful rivers with very beautiful names.
Ghataprabha, Swarna, Sowparnika, Cauvery, Tunga-Bhadra, Bhadravati, Krishna, Vrishabhavati etc. Very nice names.
Quiz question. Where does Vrishabhavati flow? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX6 (Post 2039074)

clue : flows near kengeri and makes you block your nose !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 2035771)
As we were passing through Ankola, we could not help but stopping over here... as already guessed, it is Lakhsmi Mahamaya Devasthanam.

I see the board saying Narayana Mahamaya, is it Lakshminarayana Mahamaya Devasthana?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX6 (Post 2039074)
Well, one can't actually call Gangavali and Aghanashini as major rivers. Especially Aghanashini. They are small rivers.
And then you enter Udupi district, you have so many minor rivers.
Karnataka is a land of beautiful rivers with very beautiful names.
Ghataprabha, Swarna, Sowparnika, Cauvery, Tunga-Bhadra, Bhadravati, Krishna, Vrishabhavati etc. Very nice names.

Bhadravati?? I doubt it!! :)

BTW, Have you heard about Kaagina? lol:

Bhadravati is the old name of Bhadra river, after which the town of Bhadravati is named.

@roamingrao. You had me in splits. But then don't make Vrishabhavati in to a coovum. Nothing beats the coovum.