Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2010, 15:52   #361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Coconut Oil and Copra and Coir are synonymous with 'Gods own country', right? But, when it comes to coconut trade is the TN/Karnataka border towns which contribute to the supply.

I am also told that the 'nendram pazham' (a special variety of banana) is grown more outside Kerala these days. Is it true?
Partially true on both counts. Kerala is still number one in terms of volume in coconut trees (about 42% of total national produce, i read). But it takes a huge hit when it comes to productivity, due to older trees, unscientific farming and cost of labor. If one tree in kerala yields 10 coconuts in one 'climb', a Pollachi tree will yield 50, and you should also take into consideration the difference in the labor cost of climbing one tree between TN and KL. So that's the ratio!!

And, though, Kerala is still producing more nendram pazham, farmers from border districts of TN are making more money due to better farm practices
Old 30th September 2010, 18:02   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
reminded my journey in feb 2010 by Netravati express from Chiplun to Trivendrum on the way to Kualalumpur.
May be the next meet can revolve around the railways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
By the way this is more of a Mega-Logue than a travellogue. Awesome
Hmm... that's a nice idea. Let me see where my further trips go - but, thanks, you have given me the incentive to add details and pictures of one more trip made earlier this year - to Surat! Amazing place and amazing drive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
If one tree in kerala yields 10 coconuts in one 'climb', a Pollachi tree will yield 50, and you should also take into consideration the difference in the labor cost of climbing one tree between TN and KL.
mm, I heard that they are starting 'coconut tree climbing technique' schools in Kerala - to induce people to learn the trick properly. Is it true?

Sorry - no pictures today guys. Stuck with work - half-year is a huge deadline....
Old 6th October 2010, 12:18   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry - no pictures today guys. Stuck with work - half-year is a huge deadline....
Could squeeze in some spare time today - after a hectic week.

I will start with my BMW - seeing there are no takers for all the bait I had laid out....

Anybody guess the model? Purposely uploaded a picture shot from the mobile - don't want to give any more visual clue than needed
Stress buster!!-bmw.jpg

But, here is some visual treat (I hope!). The lush green paddy fields, with the hillock in the background was really soothing. And the hillock was a terrific creation of nature - wait for the next set of pictures...
Stress buster!!-img_2858.jpg
Old 6th October 2010, 13:01   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mm, I heard that they are starting 'coconut tree climbing technique' schools in Kerala - to induce people to learn the trick properly. Is it true?
Not sure and also I dont think that is needed - no dearth of skill, only willingness!!. But there is some sort of cash reward for someone who can build an automotic coconut tree climbing and plucking machine. I dont remember the exact amount - but it was substantial

Quote:
Anybody guess the model? Purposely uploaded a picture shot from the mobile - don't want to give any more visual clue than needed
A mini cooper?
Old 6th October 2010, 17:21   #365
Senior - BHPian

mm, think we should rope in Shankar (director) to help with the machine (robot)....

As for the car - just wait a little more.

Coming back to my train journey, normally I spend time by sleeping or reading. But since it was pretty empty, I just lolled around - and this sight caught my attention from afar.

What looked a hill, took this shape as we approached it-

Stress buster!!-img_2849.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2850.jpg

It looked as if the rocks were piled one on top of another to create this hill -

Stress buster!!-img_2851.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2852.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2853.jpg

But, it is indeed a hill - and how it broke up is the question!?!

Stress buster!!-img_2854.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2855.jpg

Nature works in mysterious ways. I haven't seen anything like before...
Old 6th October 2010, 17:26   #366
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Go over to Sathuvachari near vellore. You'd find hillocks like this. Rocks piled over each other. My brother and I cajoled an auto rickshaw driver, borrowed his auto and tried driving it first time. We managed ramming it on one of those rocks and couldn't drive back.
Loads of hilarious things unfolded that day.
And I like the train meet you are thinking off. Thinking of a drive to neral. Take the toy train to matheran, trek down to Neral and drive back. Nov would be awesome time for this. Who's game?
Old 6th October 2010, 17:47   #367
BHPian

Prabhu mam: Are these hills near KA-AP border. I believe I have seen the same during my train travel from Mumbai-Bangalore which I believe goes thru AP and then enters KA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And I like the train meet you are thinking off. Thinking of a drive to neral. Take the toy train to matheran, trek down to Neral and drive back. Nov would be awesome time for this. Who's game?
MX6: Put it up in a meet thread and I am sure, there would be a good bunch ready for it ( Me included)
During our college days, we used to catch the last train from CST which would reach Neral at 1:00 AM and then start the trek at Night. Cooler weather used to help us in the climb. We used to reach by 4:30 - 5:00 AM and spend the day there and come back the evening.

Last edited by f1fan : 6th October 2010 at 17:48.
Old 6th October 2010, 19:01   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MX6, got ESP or what?! Can't believe it - I was discussing the same thing with a few of my colleagues here - for a trip in December....

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
reach Neral at 1:00 AM and then start the trek at Night. Cooler weather used to help us in the climb. We used to reach by 4:30 - 5:00 AM and spend the day there and come back the evening.
fifan, yes, it is the same place.

Night trek? Haven't done it since decades. Now, that is food for thought...
Old 7th October 2010, 10:50   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go over to Sathuvachari near vellore. You'd find hillocks like this. Rocks piled over each other.
Yesterday, after reading your post, went and dusted off some of the old prints (Vellore, Krishnagiri = TN/KA borderside; Pavagad = KA/AP borders). You are right, the hillocks are similar. But there is a difference - which is the greenery. It appears this spot (i.e. the pictures I took) has good source of water, unlike the others.

Place after place roll by on the journey. India certainly lives in the villages, and we are assured of food in our plates because of their labours. The farmers (at least many of them) certainly do not enjoy the full fruits of their labours - as, unfortunately, the middle men make most of the gains....

Stress buster!!-img_2874.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2875.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2876.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2879.jpg

I guess I may have to face the wrath of a certain rajababu while I say this (no offence meant) - the government admits that it doesn't have the manpower to move the food-grains from the godowns to the poor - and pleads helplessness while allowing them (the foodgrains, I mean) to rot...
Old 8th October 2010, 11:38   #370
Senior - BHPian

Random scenes...

I remember the time when Win XP was launched, there were wall papers galore... and the particular one which I liked very much was 'shed in field'.

This particular 'house' made me remember that particular scene!

Stress buster!!-img_2889.jpg

Rain clouds were gathering, and it was getting pretty dark - journey in a train through the rain is really fantastic. Only thing is, with the windows down you can't take any pictures.
Stress buster!!-img_2887.jpg

This particular spot looked perfect for a watch tower, and the row of palm trees added to the charm!
Stress buster!!-img_2886.jpg

The darkness soon fell, and my journey (by train) also got over shortly thereafter.
Old 8th October 2010, 13:00   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess I may have to face the wrath of a certain rajababu
Of course,
you will face it while you come to next meet,
and if you do not come to the meet,
then also you will face it,
not only from me...but from MX6 also.
Old 8th October 2010, 13:52   #372
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course,
you will face it while you come to next meet,
and if you do not come to the meet,
then also you will face it,
not only from me...but from MX6 also.
ha ha. Not that way AP saab. If the reasons are genuine, then no one faces anything from my side. I missed VRP in kaas. But clearly understood his predicament and his official priorities.

@VRP BTW, did I see something related to BMW of something in your log? hee hee.

Guess let's plan that Matheran meet. You want me to start a thread on that or will you do the honours?
Plan is same. We'll drive (or take train to Neral). Meet at Neral station - Take the toy train up to Matheran. Trek down to Neral. Break for the day (take train back or drive back). We can plan this in End Nov or beginning dec.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:15   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1] If the reasons are genuine, then no one faces anything from my side.
2]Guess let's plan that Matheran meet. You want me to start a thread on that or will you do the honours?
1] Thats the problem, VRP gave genuine reasons two times and we could not do much.

2] I am in for Matheran if......the d-day is in Dec.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:23   #374
BHPian

Quote:

Guess let's plan that Matheran meet. You want me to start a thread on that or will you do the honours?
Plan is same. We'll drive (or take train to Neral). Meet at Neral station - Take the toy train up to Matheran. Trek down to Neral. Break for the day (take train back or drive back). We can plan this in End Nov or beginning dec.
Quote:
1] Thats the problem, VRP gave genuine reasons two times and we could not do much.

2] I am in for Matheran if......the d-day is in Dec.
Come on MX6, lets do the night one. It will be fun.
If we do the day one, we would be spending a good amount of the day just trekking back.

I am fine any which way. Also any weekend is fine in Nov or Dec.
Old 8th October 2010, 14:36   #375
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@f1fan. I said the day one only because of the fact that the toy train doesn't run in the night. Added to it, I can't bring my family in night time on a trek. My daughter would be sleeping.

@VRP. Guess you need to honour AP's request now. No more misses. The sugar canes of Baramati are long waiting for you with bated breath. And nov would be a nice time to visit there and have a nice meet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks