Team-BHP - Stress buster!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Stress buster!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/85134-stress-buster-3.html)

The eclairs bit. I even gave them back on return journey. Exchange rate remained the same! I want to suggest them to give an assortment of candies like poppins, mint, gum etc. Who do I mail it to?

Muzhipillangad drive-thru beach - Kannur!

That's a very interesting (and engrossing) kind of travelogue! clap: Bring it on...

So what should I call MX6 now? Official route guider for West, Central, South & North? Good to see you're being honoured MX6.

@VRP - Keep the pics flowing, the teasers were fantastic & a motorcycle trip on that roads will be a ride for lifetime to remember.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 1973382)
Must be NH48.

King Veera Pandya, at the insistence of his Guru Lalitakeerti, the pontiff of Karkala Jaina Math, installed a large statue of Bahubali on the rocky hill of Karkala. The date of the installation has been ascertained as February 13, 1432. This is the icon of the town. Veera Pandya also installed the Brahmadeva Pillar in front of the statue in 1436.
Source - Wikipedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 1973491)
The concept of Navagraha of Jainism differ from that of Hinduism. The Tirthankaras embodying with individual graha (planet) is uniquely observed among the Jains. A unique stone of this type found at the Kamala Basadi in Belgaum has drawn the attention of the devotees.

Thanks for the info, paragsachania. Very interesting, indeed.

If possible, can you please throw some light on the "Lord Venkatramana" temple at Karkala also? It closed just as we reached there. It appears to be pretty old. Pictures of the temple were amongst the few which I lost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeevmenon (Post 1973614)
Muzhipillangad drive-thru beach - Kannur!

Sorry, jeevmenon. Way off. I have seen Kannur (& Bekal) beaches and forts. But, believe me, this was much more isolated and clean!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 1973639)
That's a very interesting (and engrossing) kind of travelogue! clap: Bring it on...

Thanks... hope to do my best!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1973706)
So what should I call MX6 now? Official route guider for West, Central, South & North? Good to see you're being honoured MX6.

@VRP - Keep the pics flowing, the teasers were fantastic & a motorcycle trip on that roads will be a ride for lifetime to remember.

Beware - when you are taking about masters. The title should be apt / befitting one with so much knowledge. I mean it - read his posts on history and geography and theology, you'll understand. He has absorbed a lot and we are lucky that he takes time to share it with us.

Thanks. Anybody arrange a meet a Calicut after the monsoon - trip to this place will be a good way to spend a couple of days. With some luck we can spot some wild life also.

BTW, the results of the first lot will be declared soon. Anybody willing to take calls? Lohitrao, any second guesses?

:Shockked:

What's brewing guys (especially aargee).

Why is everyone :deadhorseme

@vrp. Me and knowledge? Theology? Geography? Thank god you didn't add nuclear physics to it.

I'm a small person dear sirs. Wait till you read what I did in Ujjain to my car and myself. Then you'd burst out laughing.

By the way. My good old Ikon clocked 30,000 kms in under 1 year! Guess I should come with an ownership report now. Reading ownership reports of some greats here to find what exactly one writes. lol.

Since this is supposed to be a travelogue, I should better post a summary at the end of the day!

It is like this -

Work at office was bugging. Daughter had passed out 12th and her future course was to be decided - as she had both Maths and Biology. Rains had just started.

All the above culminated into - Manipal. My daughter preferred BDS to MBBS. I preferred the road to rail (Only one train from Pune to Mangalore on Saturday. Next alternative - go to Panvel, for Konkan Railway. Or else, KSRTC Volvo).

So the three-in-one solution - I drive, we enjoy the trip and monsoon, and daugther gets her admission. Everybody's tension relieved! (I could convince my wife, she can relieve me in spells on the drive - which didn't work out :D)

Anyway, June 14th we started at ~6AM. Day 1 was like this -

Pune - Satara (a halt nearby for Breakfast) - Kolhapur - Mahalaxmi Mandir - Belgaum - Hubli (some pending work to be followed up) - Yellapur - Ankola. Reached Ankola by ~7.30PM.

Wanted to stop in between Yellapur and Ankola, (because I saw a quaint looking hotel / lodge enroute) but was vetoed. Even at Ankola, wanted to stay at the Laxminarayan Mahamaya Temple, again vetoed. The lodge we picked (almost 8 pm and not much of a choice was Tourist Home, only so so). Again, have lost the pictures of the Mahamaya Temple. (Anybody has them? Please free to post them here)

Have already posted some of the pictures in MX6's Mahalog thread - will upload a few shortly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1974354)
Sorry, jeevmenon. Way off. I have seen Kannur (& Bekal) beaches and forts. But, believe me, this was much more isolated and clean!

Muzhipillangad is clean and I found just an other car on the 4 km beach drive and an ice-cream vendor at the entry pt! How long can you drive on the stretch that you went to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeevmenon (Post 1974384)
Muzhipillangad is clean and I found just an other car on the 4 km beach drive and an ice-cream vendor at the entry pt! How long can you drive on the stretch that you went to?

Now I can't say how far you could drive, but it seemed to be quite a long stretch - as far as the eye could see!

And car!? See what they drove on the beach!!

And didn't see a single vendor / stall in the near vicinity.

And MX6, don't worry. Nothing is cooking. Just go back and read your posts on Bharathi(yar), Meenakshi Temple, Murudeshwar - to name a few.

Here are the pictures -
The first toll - Khed Shivapur, Pune. And the golden quad beckons!
Stress buster!!-img_2259.jpg
Stress buster!!-img_2260.jpg

Khambatki Ghat on the way up - towards Kolhapur. See the rain clouds. Promises, promises (it is sunny outside now:eek:). See the fields tilled? And the lone bird on the tree which is sprouting its leaves?
Stress buster!!-img_2261.jpg
Stress buster!!-img_2262.jpg
Stress buster!!-img_2263.jpg
Stress buster!!-img_2264.jpg
Stress buster!!-img_2267.jpg

Old vs. New. Krishna river?
Stress buster!!-img_2270.jpg

Mandatory stop over. Mahalaxmi Temple, Kolhapur. Oh, what a difference DSLR would have made to the second shot....
Stress buster!!-img_2278.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2282.jpg

rao mam??? not sure what you are trying to assume of me here lol:

choocha... will be copyrighted soon by Khaled bhai;))

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1973280)
Can I take liberty of assuming you as "rao mam"?

Your guess is slightly off the mark... But this was what I saw somewhere in that area :D
Attachment 383512

Palio + New Yoko A300 shoes = Brilliant. But I had a bit of a 'choocha' - remind me to recount it when I wind up!

An old time resident of Kolhapur told me the following story -

It seems the Mahalaxmi Devi was promised that Lord Balaji would wed her during their incarnation on earth. However, much to her chagrin, the lord wed Padmavathy. Angry, she left the Lord and came down to Kolhapur and settled there. Venkatramana (Balaji - Govinda - Krishna....) is said to have come down to Kolhapur and pacified her. It seems that there is tradition of exchanging articles between the temples of Mahalaxmi and Tirupati.

Anyway, I find that architecturally Mahalaxmi to be more enthralling; less crowds; more space to stand and take in the intricate carvings; more spiritual (and less importance to money, IMHO)
Stress buster!!-img_2287.jpg

Refuel halt at Konduskar, Kolhapur. 'Speed' in Maharashtra costs less than normal petrol in Karnataka.
Stress buster!!-img_2290.jpg

We are now in Karnataka - not much winding roads or ghats ahead.. at least upto Yellapur.
Stress buster!!-img_2291.jpg

The rains unleash their fury once a while - thanks to NH4 did not face much difficulty. And yes, the A300 behaved well (contrary to some feedback which I read elsewhere on the net)
Stress buster!!-img_2294.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2296.jpg

Work over in Hubli, we are bound for Yellapur.
Stress buster!!-img_2304.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2307.jpg

More rains. On this road it is slightly unsettling - a breakdown will strand you - and the visibility is not aided due to thick vegetation...

Stress buster!!-img_2316.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2317.jpg

All said and done, I was sure of my Palio and it didn't let me down. Touchwood!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1974452)
rao mam??? not sure what you are trying to assume of me here lol:

choocha... will be copyrighted soon by Khaled bhai;))

Amongst GSB (esp. Konkanis), the senior family members are addressed as 'mam'.

Bangalore + Rao, connected to DK. Sorry, if I guessed wrong.

Lovely thread! :)

Here are my guesses for the pictures in the first post.

Pic #1: Bandipur,KA

Pic #3: Wayanad,KL

Pic #6: Tough one, I think its either NH206 somewhere between Sagar and Tumkur Or H48

Pic #8: Muzahappilangad Drive-in beach off NH17, KL

Pic #9: This im 100% sure, NH206 this is post Jog fall, there is a small view point made on the 70 kms long ghats between Honnavar and Jog Falls. This is reservoir that feeds Jog Falls. A more give away pic of this place would be this!

EDIT: Am I too late to answer? :D

24 hours gone since this thread started and here i just noticed this thread!!

nice start with all green pics.

looking forward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1973134)
BTW, by what time is the mega meet expected to get over? Would it be possible to get back on 17th?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX6 (Post 1973180)
There is no declared end time. You are free to leave at times you feel is convenient for you. I intend to leave by 10 pm so that I'm home by 11.

I don't think anyone will be back at home on 17th.

@MX6,
ghar vapis jaane ki itni kya jaldi hai?:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1973294)
Hmmm - seem to have misplaced that one. I did cross the Sharavati. Is there any other way?

BTW, there is a nice interest building up. So let me use this golden opportunity - :OT

I have to go to Manipal again. Essential that I visit Hubli. So, besides Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Honavar-Bhatkal-Udupi route, is there any other worthwhile route?

Because, I have seen a route - Hubli-Harihar-Shimoga-Agumbe-Manipal. Now Agumbe = RAINS. Is it advisable to use this alternative?

Prabhu mam: Tashi Vachu naka a.k.a Don't take that route.

Ankola route has heavy mining lorries traffic. Hence go thru Sirsi route. Roads are a little bad but much better compared to the mining traffic on the other route. The diversion for Sirsi comes after about 10 KMs after the VRL headquarters post Hubli.

MIT is my alma mater and DK is my second home. Hence hooked onto this thread.

Cheers
f1fan