Team-BHP - Stress buster!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Stress buster!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/85134-stress-buster-5.html)

Malappuram is famous for another thing. Malappuram Kathi. It was made famous by one Mr. Pavanazhi. What say Nutty Nair and fellow Malayalees?

Anyway, I'll give a clue to why the Kadalundi bridge was in news. I got the opportunity to drive a train from Telicherry to Cannanore once in mid 90s. After the ride, the driver told me that no one is allowed because of potential disasters. Rest one can guess.
Driving a train was fun and noisy. I really feel for the engine drivers who are exposed to such high decibels. Stopping a train is so complex. That's where one needs to be very cautious not to miss any signals.

The roughest beach I've seen in Coastal karnataka was Ullal. I swam in Kaup beach on many occasions. Ullal was a place where I didn't risk it.

And when you drive / ride to udupi next, try the route I suggested.
Hubli - yellapura - sirsi - sagara - thirthahalli - Agumbe - Manipal - Udupi

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1975815)
#5 - Gopura of Sri Krishna Math, Udupi. However, my question remains unanswered - whether one can enter the temple through this (main) enrance or not? As also, the question about Lord Krishna's idol being recovered from the sea.

No, there is only a window to see the main idol directly, if the disciples inside don't block your view. Apparently this used to be the rear side, where Kanakadasa was being beaten up for trying to enter the temple. According to the legend, the idol turned and every wall in-between collapsed by a miracle. They rebuilt the wall leaving a window in each wall for the Kanakadasa point of view.

The idol (hidden in clay?) was in the ship that was allegedly helped by Madhwacharaya. Did you also visit Ananteshwara temple in the same complex, that is the original temple, probably older than 1000 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1975815)
As also, the question about Lord Krishna's idol being recovered from the sea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1975830)
No, there is only a window to see the main idol directly, if the disciples inside don't block your view. Apparently this used to be the rear side, where Kanakadasa was being beaten up for trying to enter the temple. According to the legend, the idol turned and every wall in-between collapsed by a miracle. They rebuilt the wall leaving a window in each wall for the Kanakadasa point of view.

The idol (hidden in clay?) was in the ship that was allegedly helped by Madhwacharaya. Did you also visit Ananteshwara temple in the same complex, that is the original temple, probably older than 1000 years.

I'd answered your query at the very beginning itself VRP. I didn't want to jump the gun and write about kanaka gopura. But I'd answered your query about the statue at the very beginning.
See post 3 in this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1972691-post3.html

And yes, First it was Kanakana kindi. If I tell the story behind the kanaka gopura, I'll land in trouble again for talking political stuff. So I'll leave it at that.
As Samurai points out Kanaka dasa was stopped from entering the temple as he was from the lower castes. When he was flogged as shown in Rajkumar movie, he sang something like Baagilanu theradhu sevayannu kodu hariye, (open the doors and give me your vision - Hari)
Krishna turned 180 degress and the back wall collapsed. From then on, Krishna has been facing the west. They made a window and called it Kanakana Kindi.
The Gopura is I'd considered as an unwanted blemish and a politico - socio - drama.
Apart from Anantheshwara temple which was the original temple in Udupi, as Samurai rightly says over 1000 years, there's also chandramouleeshwara temple, which is also very very old.
Krishna arrived in Udupi as I explained in my post.
Incidentally, one Parimalacharya was supposed to continue the head pontiff of Udupi mutt. Unfortunately, his position was taken up by pontiff's who split the mutt in to 8. So every 2 years there's change of guard in a grand function called paryaya. New mutt takes over and administers for the next 2 years till the next Paryaya.
Parimalacharya went over to a village called Maanjolai on the banks of Tunga and installed and prayed his Moolarama. He was later known as Sri Raghavendra, who should have actually taken over the udupi mutt. Maanjolai village took the name as Mantralaya (not the mumbai one).

See this is why I didn't want to jump the gun. Difficult to shut my mouth :D

@samurai san. It's not clay. It's Gopi chandan aka naama katti in tamil.

Day 2 started with rains....

Stared off by ~8AM. Plans were to see Gokarn, Jog, and (a) Murudeshwar, Maravanthe or (b) go up to Sagar and decide how to reach Udupi from there by night. Whew! Too many items on the agenda.
Thankfully, nature contributed to the change in itineary!! It started raining to so heavily, that I completely missed taking the turn to Gokarn!
So went straight to Jog - had a couple of scary moments on the ghats. The falls made the trip worth while. And there was only a thin crowd. So every picture of the falls has our mugs on it (hence not posted here!). Decided to go back to Honavar, as it appeared road ahead was not in so good a condition. Saw Murudeshwar and Maravanthe and reached Udupi safe and sound by 7.30 PM.

Went to Ankola Kamat Upachar for a hearty breakfast, with this -
Stress buster!!-sj1500034.jpg

Now you know why I was going ga-ga on Post #19:uncontrol

(For more details on 'kotte' please refer to the MX6's thread on Maharashtra!)

:Frustrati - Pictures of Lakshmi Mahamaya Temple lost. Anybody having them is invited to post them here...

We are now in NH17 - coastal Karnatka beckons!
Stress buster!!-img_2321l.jpg

This is the glimpse of Konkan Railway. It helped the people (esp. Kerala) going down to Mumbai to cut down travelling time drastically.
Stress buster!!-img_2322.jpg

First glimpse of the Sharavati..

Stress buster!!-img_2326.jpg

NH17 - pity it was not in such good condition in other places...
Stress buster!!-img_2327.jpg

Saw the picture above? Well by the time we reached the bridge, this is how it was. so you can guess how hard it was raining.
Stress buster!!-img_2329.jpg

Forest enroute to Jog.
Stress buster!!-img_2334.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2340.jpg

This is the Ayurvedic Resort at Jog - spot it through the clouds!. should be a worthwhile stay.
Stress buster!!-img_2343.jpg

A random (?) shot of Jog!:)
Stress buster!!-img_2355.jpg

All others reading this -

Need any further proof why I expressed my thanks to MX6 and Samurai?

MX6 - I read your earlier post and this one. So it means the idol was not recovered from the sea (a la Swayambhu) but from the sand in ship, right? Reason being - a small discussion going on the so called 'swayambhu vigrahas' elsewhere (not in our forum)

Todays muses -

Since I haven't posted the picture of Mahamaya temple of Ankola, today's quiz is lost. But what I have seen and understand is that, once you reach coastal Karnataka, you'll observe a remarkable improvement in the way the temples are maintained. I personally like the cleanliness of the temples from Ankola to Goa - may be a typical GSB attitude, but such well temples are common place in this side of the country. Secondly, the 'kuldeva' concept is followed - rather ferociously :) (Uggara Narasimha is our 'kuldeva'). In my years spent in TN and Kerala and Maharashtra the level of attachment is much less. I also feel that the 'math' philosophy in Karnataka is well established - giving you an opportunity to recall your roots... (No offense meant to anybody, please. It is just that I have started realising that things like these make you ponder about the many facets of life)

Second, never knew there was a lift which will take you right to the top of the Gopura at Murudeshwara. Wife and daughter are scared of heights - so lost a good opportunity. And, I agree with MX6 about this place - it has lost all its earlier sanctity and looks more like a circus! (Don't mean to hurt anybody, but temples are meant to be 'divine' calling the devotees (to pray) by tugging at their souls...)

MX6, stop waxing eloquent, you are having a drastic influence on my thinking.

FULL STOP.

Back to the work at hand:D

Another shot of the Sharavati...

Stress buster!!-img_2339.jpg

The Gopura of Murudeshwara...

Stress buster!!-img_2374.jpg

Anymore pictures of NH17? Its one of my favorite highways in the country. The rain swept highways look tempting. :)

Its a pity I have not yet managed to explore its length below Mangalore.

Like the Sharavathi, there is a winding snap of Kali as well.
Did you get a chance to snap it? (This is on Anshi Ghats)

The Jog photos have come real nice.
Its tempting me to make a DK trip come Aug end when it will be green all along. :)
The only problem would be the condition of NH17 by then :Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1975853)
Went to Ankola Kamat Upachar for a hearty breakfast, with this -

It is called Gunda in Tulu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1975881)
All others reading this -

Need any further proof why I expressed my thanks to MX6 and Samurai?

Ok, I am still not sure why you are thanking me along with MX6 who obviously has helped you a lot.:confused: I don't remember giving you any tips regarding your trip.

Ans "Kotey" in Kannada, this is a regular breakfast in mst of the caostalites house and jackfruit tree leaf is used for this, as a kid i used have a regular job of plucking the leafs and then washing it:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1976106)

Ok, I am still not sure why you are thanking me along with MX6 who obviously has helped you a lot.:confused: I don't remember giving you any tips regarding your trip.

Is Kotey/Gunda what we call Upma in (Plaavilla) Leaf in TN/KL?
please:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1975830)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1976106)

See your own reply above :). Thanks was given because of the points nicely discussed in various other threads. Especially for Hotel Sharada International - nice place. Will prefer to stay here in future, even if there hotel is Bar + Restaurant (don't prefer these kind of places).

BTW, saw three different temples in the car street, and visited all three. Udupi Krishna Math the first, and a second one (shiva temple opposite to this - the entrance is all but invisible because of the shops and the third slightly away - adjacent to the place where the elephant is pushing the ratha in). Can't read or write Kannada - so what is culled is from what info we gleaned for the people around these places.

Quote:

Originally Posted by praful (Post 1975910)
Anymore pictures of NH17? Its one of my favorite highways in the country. The rain swept highways look tempting. :)

Its a pity I have not yet managed to explore its length below Mangalore.

Well, I had my wish fulfilled after more than 15 years! Am sure NH17 will the remain for sometime to come.

One more snap - somewhere Udupi. Some pictures lost. Some pictures concentrate on us rather than the road :D (hence not uploaded)
Stress buster!!-nh17.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 1975913)
Like the Sharavathi, there is a winding snap of Kali as well.
Did you get a chance to snap it? (This is on Anshi Ghats)

Detailed location guide please. You have picked a hole in my research - I haven't noted this in the list of places of visit / see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1fan (Post 1976045)
The Jog photos have come real nice.
Its tempting me to make a DK trip come Aug end when it will be green all along. :)
The only problem would be the condition of NH17 by then :Frustrati

f1fan, thanks for your other trips. NH17 - I personally expected the worst - especially after NH4; but then, driving itself is a part of the experience. And, monsoon seems to be the best time to drive and enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohithrao (Post 1976462)
Ans "Kotey" in Kannada, this is a regular breakfast in mst of the caostalites house and jackfruit tree leaf is used for this, as a kid i used have a regular job of plucking the leafs and then washing it:)

You have got off lightly. Not only plucking and cleaning, but also collecting green coconut leaves, so that the spine of these coconut leaves give you the supple and slim spines with which you have to weave the basket! My grand-mother used to insist on three leaves per kotey! My mother was lenient - four leaved ones were OK (but four leaved ones used to leak the batter)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeevmenon (Post 1976541)
Is Kotey/Gunda what we call Upma in (Plaavilla) Leaf in TN/KL?
please:

Plaavu = Jackfruit. Ila = Leaves. Right. But the batter poured inside them was that meant for making idlis.

I thought there will be some kind of uproar on unconventional pictures of Jog Falls. Obviously, I am being well tolerated. Anyway, this is what I snapped -

Stress buster!!-jog.jpg

Stress buster!!-jog2.jpg

Awesome pics Prabhu. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vrprabhu (Post 1978032)
Well, I had my wish fulfilled after more than 15 years! Am sure NH17 will the remain for sometime to come.

One more snap - somewhere Udupi. Some pictures lost. Some pictures concentrate on us rather than the road :D (hence not uploaded)
Attachment 386000

Apologies for the small thread hijack!

Just wanted to post this for the contrast... See this from March'09 of the same place. Looks so fresh and refreshing with the rains now. :)

Stress buster!!-dsc07639.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by praful (Post 1978087)
Apologies for the small thread hijack!

Just wanted to post this for the contrast... See this from March'09 of the same place. Looks so fresh and refreshing with the rains now. :)

Don't apologise - the picture is superb. Love how your bike looks.

And, great minds think alike...:D

The picture proves it!