Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2010, 11:45   #91
Senior - BHPian

Prabhu this thread is getting better as it goes

We get a nice view from "Sharada International", thankfully the open fields are still thier unlike in many places:(

f1fan, i guess entire DK is undergoing massive change, Udupi town is no more the way it was and Mangalore seems to be in a hurry to catch up with the big cities....
Old 13th July 2010, 11:51   #92
Senior - BHPian

prabhuji, you have set a example of travel thread that goes into history of the places and people. Great information here.

@Samurai, the word Bunt-aa also signifies a warrior or fighter. Garadi is also a generic word used in kannada for gymnasium. Even today people in rural areas refer to garadi ma-Ne (without weapons ofcourse).
Old 13th July 2010, 11:55   #93
BHPian

Mh-ka, Ka-tn, Tn-kl, Ka-kl
Old 13th July 2010, 12:08   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Very true. Despite having roots in Karnataka, I had only seen - Hampi, Gokak and some places near Hubli / Mangalore.
And you probably know how Konkanis came to reside in Karnataka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Quote:
In 1560 the See of Goa was elevated into an arch-bishopric, and the Inquisition, the horrors of which even excelled that of Spain, was established. The inhabitants of Goa and its dependencies were now forced to embrace Christianity, and on refusal or contumacy were imprisoned and tortured. In this year also, and those following, the predatory excursions of the Portuguese were continued.
This was the biggest trajedy caused by KDR’s gift of Goa to Portuguese. There were public torture machines in the street which would stretch people limb to limb. As a result of this inquisition, the people of Konkon emigrated in great numbers, that explains the presence of Konkani speakers along the coast all the way to Kerala. It completely altered the demography along the region. Even now lots of Konkani families visit Goa once a year to worship at their original temple.

The Portuguese continuously laid waste the entire western coast from Goa to Kochi emboldened by the concessions given to them rulers right from KDR and his descendents. As long as European horses were delivered exclusively to Vijayanagara, the Portuguese could get away with murdering the citizens of the same empire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
@Samurai, the word Bunt-aa also signifies a warrior or fighter. Garadi is also a generic word used in kannada for gymnasium. Even today people in rural areas refer to garadi ma-Ne (without weapons ofcourse).
srishiva, what made you think I don't know this, that too the meaning of my community name. The advent of firearms took away all the focus on weapons, garadi became primarily a fitness center or training center for wrestling.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th July 2010 at 12:22.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:14   #95
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally, the GSB's who converted to Christianity (mostly Roman catholics), many of them can trace their ancestory. Some even have their original GSB surname attached behind their christian second name so that the family doesn't lose it's legacy, Prabhu being a typical one among many.
And such people when marrying look for roman catholics who were converted centuries back from GSBs, look out for spouses who are also converts!
As some one rightly pointed out, the Portuguese were heavily in to things the british wouldn't dare enter or respected us for. Brit's never took anything against our temples or gods. Elephanta is testimony to the fact that Portuguese took potshots at the sculptures of our gods.
As Teabing correctly observes in the Da vinci code, "As long as there has been one god, there has always been killings in his name".
Old 13th July 2010, 12:29   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
prabhuji, you have set a example of travel thread that goes into history of the places and people. Great information here.

To be very frank, this was just a inspiration from a colleague. We went for a one day (bike) trip to see some Buddhist Caves. (You can see the details in Magnificent Maharashtra thread). He (incidentally, he hails from Karnataka!) told me that his father (around 80 now) has a habit of visiting a place every week! Not only does he visit, but he tries to stay in that area and learn about its history. I thought that was a good idea, and do something similar - here!

Secondly, for people in their ~40s, can you remember if you have seen the pictures of your parents in their youth? Very rare. Our own pictures of youthful days were far and few between - it is mostly because of some visiting relatives and / or a friend who had cameras. When it comes to our children, we sure have plenty of them - in print as well as in PC. But, admit frankly, do our children have time for all this? So I was thinking of a sort of a repository - if and when they find time, they can go through this. But, what about history? (The lesser said about what is being taught now, the better). So value addition from those who have information, with due contributions from all, will ensure that this is saved, and, it can be accessed any time in forums like ours!!(a-la Wiki, but our way of discussion and value addition appears to be superior, even if it is slightly long-winded).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Oops! Missing Link.....

Jeev, you are a Keralite in TN, am I right? So shouldn't you know what is missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
And you probably know how Konkanis came to reside in Karnataka...
Of course
Don't know if you have heard of this - there is a book on the history of Gowda Saraswat Brahmins. Makes for fascinating reading. Any GSB association or Samyukta Saraswata Sabha can help you to get hold of a copy.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:37   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
f1fan, i guess entire DK is undergoing massive change, Udupi town is no more the way it was and Mangalore seems to be in a hurry to catch up with the big cities....
So very true. Earlier in our school days, we used to come to Udupi/Mangalore every year during summer vacations to visit relatives. These were small towns and away from the hustle/bustle of metro's like Mumbai. Unfortunately they too are going the same way now

Prabhu mam: Waiting for further updates/snaps on your travelogue.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Day 4

Day 3 ended with a darshan of the Lord Krishna. Never imagined on the first visit, that we'll visit the temple on each and every day of our stay here.

Stress buster!!-sj1500040.jpg

I have posted only one picture, because we were fortunate enough to catch Lord Krishna on his chariot - these pictures will posted later today.

Day 4 plans -

Was to visit Shantadurga temple. Trip would have taken full day. But it was raining heavily. Daughter wanted to be fresh for the D day ahead and catch the football match later in the day.

So settled for Karkala and Malpe beaches for the day.

Karkala first -

I thought it was a good time to get a darshan of Lord Venkataramana in what has been told to me as 'Padutirupathi'.

Unfortunately, only my wife could get a glimpse of the diety, as the temple was closing when we reached there - by the time I parked my car and got there, the sanctum sanctorum was closed.

[ OT - In south, we have to get the timings of temple right - else, no darshan. No such problems in Maharashtra, afaik, as the temples we have visited so far were always open. Secondly, in temples in south, there is a restriction on how close you can approach the diety and the crowds ensure that you get only a fleeting glimpse :-( ]

Even the Karkala Gomateswara was closed. There is helpful sign saying that if we telephone on a particular number, the person in charge will come and open it for us. Thought it will be taxing the person too much - there were only a few visitors (besides us) and it was raining...

But even this darshan proved to be fulfilling - and the view of the basadi from the top of the hill, the coconut trees - see it to believe it!!

Stress buster!!-img_2398.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2400.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2401.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2402.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2407.jpg

Stopped for lunch at a small hotel - and relished the food to its last morsel. It was the regular stuff which we have at home rice, dal etc. - but somehow it was more tasty
Old 13th July 2010, 12:55   #99
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Seems you have missed the Sri Lakshmi Venkataramana temple which is just a stone's throw away from Krishna mutt. I don't find any reference of that in your log. Surprising to see that A Mam goes all the way to Krishna mutt, but missed out SLVT.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:31   #100
Senior - BHPian

Malpe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Seems you have missed the Sri Lakshmi Venkataramana temple which is just a stone's throw away from Krishna mutt.
I profess ignorance. These were the temples in the area - Krishna Math being one, Anatheswara temple (which is in the same temple complex as explained by Samurai) and Chandramouleeswara temple (opposite to Krishna Math as explained by you) and a third one which was slightly away from these two. Now, please explain, is Lakshmi Venkatramana temple the third one?

Back to my trip -

With a heavy lunch, the journey back to Manipal was done rather lazily. Did you see the picture of jackfruit tree posted earlier? Stopped at several places, just to enjoy being there and alive

And, went straight to Malpe, and this is what we saw! It was as if the nature put on a light and sound and shower (!) show for us!! Very few people on the beach. I felt as if I owned the place!! Seeing the force of the waves and the rain pouring, my daughter and wife didn't leave the car - but what is the point in going to a beach if you aren't going to get your feet (and your clothes) wet

Fishermen's boating resting - fishing is suspended during monsoon!!
Stress buster!!-img_2384.jpg

Drive-in beach! No entry fee, no parking fee, nothing - it's your's for asking!!

Stress buster!!-img_2385.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2386.jpg

A half-dip in the sea.
Stress buster!!-img_2387.jpg

A distant look at St. Mary's island - supposed to be more than hour's ride by ferry. Anybody can give better info?
Stress buster!!-img_2392.jpg

Get ready for today's quiz.....
Stress buster!!-img_2421.jpg

Light and sound!!
Stress buster!!-img_2425.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2426.jpg
Old 13th July 2010, 17:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

Answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
The missing link is "Mahe" = Union Territory of Pondicherry!!

So, the route was -

Maharashtra - Karnataka - Kerala - Pondicherry - Kerala - Karnataka - Maharashtra!

Here's today's picture of the day!

Can anyone guess the vehicle from its tracks?

Hint - Am sure that these will not be seen on roads!!

Stress buster!!-img_2420.jpg

Eagle eyed views will notice a huge shed like structure at the extreme end of the beach. I saw that there were two barge like vessels undergoing construction. Any idea about this, anyone?
Old 13th July 2010, 17:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Can anyone guess the vehicle from its tracks?

Hint - Am sure that these will not be seen on roads!!
Is it excavator?
The one with tracks like tank and not like regular tyrewalla jcb.
Old 13th July 2010, 19:07   #103
MX6
Senior - BHPian

This info could make an ideal quiz question. Why is St Mary's island called St. Mary's Island?
Seems a portuguese sailor by the name Vasco Dagama came to this island before proceeding to Cochin. He's supposed to have exclaimed El Padron de Santa Maria - meaning a province (or municipality) of St Mary. Hence the name!
St Mary's island is 5 kms offshore from Malpe. So it takes shorter time, unless one decides to swim all the way there.
Old 13th July 2010, 19:22   #104
Team-BHP Support

Looks like a tram that is going faraway in the background!
Some kind of a beach ride?
Old 14th July 2010, 11:55   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Is it excavator?
The one with tracks like tank and not like regular tyrewalla jcb.
Wrong guess.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Why is St Mary's island called St. Mary's Island?
Seems a portuguese sailor by the name Vasco Dagama came to this island before proceeding to Cochin. He's supposed to have exclaimed El Padron de Santa Maria - meaning a province (or municipality) of St Mary. Hence the name!
Another juicy tidbit of history....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like a tram that is going faraway in the background!
Some kind of a beach ride?
Way off the mark. BTW, it is not a tram. It is a huge shed!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks