Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 14:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

ohh, thank you, thank you

yes sir you got it right, am very much from the coast. am from Udupi

Thread is getting interesting with some lovely pics....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Amongst GSB (esp. Konkanis), the senior family members are addressed as 'mam'.

Bangalore + Rao, connected to DK. Sorry, if I guessed wrong.

Last edited by lohithrao : 9th July 2010 at 14:46.
Old 9th July 2010, 15:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Prabhu mam: Tashi Vachu naka a.k.a Don't take that route.

Ankola route has heavy mining lorries traffic. Hence go thru Sirsi route. Roads are a little bad but much better compared to the mining traffic on the other route. The diversion for Sirsi comes after about 10 KMs after the VRL headquarters post Hubli.

MIT is my alma mater and DK is my second home. Hence hooked onto this thread.
One more MIT alumni... you guys have ganged up here or what?

Anyway, makka they wat gothna - I don't know the Sirsi route. Can you please elaborate. I know there is a diversion at Shiggaon (VRL HQ), but thereafter?

I did not see a single mine / ore truck between Yellapur-Ankola. Saw them only after crossing Honnavar.

Lohitrao, I have fallen in love with Udupi - the people, the cuisine, the city, the temple, the beach... I am already dreaming of a retired life in a place like Udupi

Arranging the rest of the pictures - will post the results for the first lot shortly. Praful is close with his answers....
Old 9th July 2010, 15:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Praful is close with his answers....
Thank you sir, but when would the exact answer be released! Some places I am dying to ride out too.

After reading through your thread I guess you did not enter KL, that would make quite a few of my answers wrong! Or did you enter KL.

The pictures from NH4 well don't know the exact names of the places but have passed thru a few times.

Last edited by praful : 9th July 2010 at 15:27.
Old 9th July 2010, 15:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

Released now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Some places I am dying to ride out too.

After reading through your thread I guess you did not enter KL, that would make quite a few of my answers wrong! Or did you enter KL.

Pic #1: Bandipur,KA

Pic #3: Wayanad,KL

Pic #6: Tough one, I think its either NH206 somewhere between Sagar and Tumkur Or H48

Pic #8: Muzahappilangad Drive-in beach off NH17, KL
Don't procrastinate!!

Well, I did enter KL - if you had seen my breakfast with 'pazhampori'.

Here are the answers - don't be disappointed, if your guesses did not hit the mark -

#1 - Is it Bandipur? I really don't know, as I guessed it was Nagarhole. It was some place between Sultan Batheri and Nanjangund. Anybody well versed with this route, please clarify.

#2 - The Udupi Krishna Math's chariot for Lord Krishna.

#3 - Nearing the end point of road #1 above.

#4 - Krishna Math's elephant moving the chariot (ther) to its garage.

#5 - Tipu's resting place at Srirangapatna.

#6 - Yellapur to Ankola NH

#7 - Hanuman Temple at Tumkur

#8 - Malpe Beach! (Udupi)

#9 - Sharavati River (Jog-Sagar)

#10 - Chamundi Hill / Temple

Preparing the next set of pictures....
Old 9th July 2010, 16:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't procrastinate!!
I don't intend to, just a few more weeks.

Quote:
#1 - Is it Bandipur? I really don't know, as I guessed it was Nagarhole. It was some place between Sultan Batheri and Nanjangund. Anybody well versed with this route, please clarify.
#3 - Nearing the end point of road #1 above.
Yes it is Bandipur and finally heading towards Wayanad post Sultan Bathery. Actually the light grey colour of the road indicated its KL in Wayanad!

Quote:
#8 - Malpe Beach! (Udupi)
We can drive onto Malpe beach?? Din't know that. Tried to take my bike, but the sand was too loose. Maybe a smaller portion of the beach has 'driveable' sand!

Last edited by praful : 9th July 2010 at 16:12.
Old 9th July 2010, 16:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:

I did not see a single mine / ore truck between Yellapur-Ankola. Saw them only after crossing Honnavar.
During our recent trip to South, we also didn't find those famous mine lorries on Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli route.

BTW: Nice TL, VRP. Your start and that 'mysterious touch' that you gave to the story, has raised very high expectations, so, now you can't revert back to the routine TL writing style! Got to fulfill those expectations. hehe..

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 9th July 2010 at 16:29.
Old 9th July 2010, 16:34   #52
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I've seen scores of trucks on NH63 on my last drive to Sringeri and back. But didn't see the mining trucks.
I remember crossing over 400 trucks or so parked on one side of NH3 between Kalghatgi and Hubli. I was damn peeved seeing just a couple of cops having stopped so many in that road causing a snarl. Managed to get an opening and zoomed past. Found a roud that branches out from NH63 to Dharwad through Dhumwada. Took that turn and rest was a breeze. Left Udupi by 1 pm or so and reached Pune around 2:30 am I guess. Memory is groggy.
Old 9th July 2010, 16:48   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Found a roud that branches out from NH63 to Dharwad through Dhumwada. Took that turn and rest was a breeze.
Incidentally, we also took that SH that diverts left from Kalghatgi towards Dharwad. So, we joined NH4 not at Huble, but at Dharwad bypass. So didn't see that stretch of NH63 between Kalaghati - Hubli. May be that is the stretch where those trucks are parked which creates jam.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:10   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu

During our recent trip to South, we also didn't find those famous mine lorries on Ankola-Yellapur-Hubli route.
Hmmm.. Have things changed in the recent past? I had been to Udipi in early June and the bus did go thru Sirsi. When asked, the driver told me about the problem with Mining Trucks on the Yellapur-Ankola route and that all bus traffic now uses the Sirsi route. Even on the way back, we came thru the Sirsi Route.

vrprabhu: The Sirsi route starts approx 10 Kms after Varur and touches NH17 a little before Kumta.

Last edited by f1fan : 9th July 2010 at 17:18.
Old 9th July 2010, 17:18   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info, paragsachania. Very interesting, indeed.

If possible, can you please throw some light on the "Lord Venkatramana" temple at Karkala also? It closed just as we reached there. It appears to be pretty old. Pictures of the temple were amongst the few which I lost.
VRP,
An interesting article on wikipedia on the Venkataramana Temple:

Padutirupathi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There was so much of interesting information and much of it relevant that I couldnt extract just a few lines from it.

SBC (Sri Bhuvanendra College) was my Alma Mater and we witnessed that magnificent "Karkala Deepothsava" in full glory during our college days.

Regards,

Parag
Old 9th July 2010, 18:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Yes it is Bandipur and finally heading towards Wayanad post Sultan Bathery. Actually the light grey colour of the road indicated its KL in Wayanad!

We can drive onto Malpe beach?? Din't know that. Tried to take my bike, but the sand was too loose. Maybe a smaller portion of the beach has 'driveable' sand!
Well, I thought this was Wayanad; and that the grey coloured road was Karnataka.

Stress buster!!-waynad.jpg

Interesting aside here -

There were three check points on this road

Was confused - after all this is Kerala and Karnataka Border! Later, it dawned on me - there is route from here to Tamil Nadu, so TN people have put their own check post on this road itself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Your start and that 'mysterious touch' that you gave to the story, has raised very high expectations, so, now you can't revert back to the routine TL writing style! Got to fulfill those expectations. hehe..
Thanks and very true. Everything looks easy while starting a thread, and when the discussion starts, you realize driving part was easier

Anyway, today's questions are posted below!

Quote:
The Sirsi route starts approx 10 Kms after Varur and touches NH17 a little before Kumta.
Thanks. Noted this down in my dairy. Some serious 'googling' and 'wiki-ing' to be done and map pored over tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
An interesting article on wikipedia on the Venkataramana Temple
Thanks very much! Page already book-marked for some serious reading.

Now for today's questions -

To make it easy - Enroute to the famous sisters! Is she / he a cousin? And a name?

Stress buster!!-wf.jpg

You can see both the bridges where the river flows into the sea, right. So the tip is - one of them was in the news a few years back.
Stress buster!!-ku.jpg

Most of us in this thread have travelled down this road! I call it the Gateway to the West
Stress buster!!-hi.jpg
Old 9th July 2010, 19:44   #57
Team-BHP Support

I just clicked on this thread by chance and was surprised to see my name in the very first paragraph. So I had to read all the pages till the end. Very refreshingly different travelogue. The first photograph with the bamboo shoot, I know 3 places with the same looks. One was Bandipur forest near Sultan Battery, where you shot this. The other two are Nagarhole forest between Hunsur and Tittimathi, and Shettihalli reserve forest near Shimoga.

We should meet next time you are around here.

MX6, there is nothing great about me, I am just a normal fellow, very likely to disappoint you if you meet me with much expectations.
Old 9th July 2010, 19:54   #58
BHPian

Kadalundi bridge in Malappuram - KL!
Old 10th July 2010, 12:34   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan
The Sirsi route starts approx 10 Kms after Varur and touches NH17 a little before Kumta.
Thanks. Noted this down in my dairy. Some serious 'googling' and 'wiki-ing' to be done and map pored over tonight!
Pls do check the current condition of the road bcos with the onset of rains the road might have gone bad. It was strictly decent when I passed thru in early June.
If Ankola road is better with no mining trucks, I would suggest you stick to that.
If possible, do send a PM to HVK and he would surely have some additional updates on the same.
Old 10th July 2010, 12:56   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Very refreshingly different travelogue.

The first photograph with the bamboo shoot, I know 3 places with the same looks. One was Bandipur forest near Sultan Battery, where you shot this.

The other two are Nagarhole forest between Hunsur and Tittimathi, and Shettihalli reserve forest near Shimoga.

We should meet next time you are around here.
Thanks.

Perfect identification. The Nagarhole bamboo were not so dense or tall. Haven't been to Shettihallli.

I too wanted to meet you - and the Grand Vitara . But, thought I will do so in liesure. BDS means five years = atleast two trips/year = 10 possible occasions to meet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Kadalundi bridge in Malappuram - KL!
Right on the dot. Why don't you write why it was in the news?

Quote:
Pls do check the current condition of the road bcos with the onset of rains the road might have gone bad. It was strictly decent when I passed thru in early June.
If Ankola road is better with no mining trucks, I would suggest you stick to that.
If possible, do send a PM to HVK and he would surely have some additional updates on the same.
I will. In fact looked up the Sirsi - Kumta route suggested, and feel that distance wise don't save much time. Yellapur-Ankola would be a broader road.

Will get HVK sir's opinion before I start. Thanks.

Answers to pictures in Post #19 -

#1 - Enroute to Jog Falls from Honavar. Forgot the name of the small village at a 'T' junction - after this place there is nothing on the road (like houses / habitation) for nearly 25 - 30 kms!

#2 - Kaup (we pronounce it 'kapu') Beach. Sit on the rocks and watch the waves breaking against it. The forces of the waves is seen to be believed.

#3 - Shiggaon. Parag has already given detailed description of this place. Hope that it is known that the headquarters of VRL is bang opposite to this place.

#4 - Karkala Gomateswara. Again Parag has given details of the importance of this place, including the Venkatramana Temple. There is a Hanuman Temple opposite to the Venkatarama, of huge proportion.

#5 - Gopura of Sri Krishna Math, Udupi. However, my question remains unanswered - whether one can enter the temple through this (main) enrance or not? As also, the question about Lord Krishna's idol being recovered from the sea.

Most Viewed