Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 14:52   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@f1fan. I said the day one only because of the fact that the toy train doesn't run in the night. Added to it, I can't bring my family in night time on a trek. My daughter would be sleeping.

@VRP. Guess you need to honour AP's request now. No more misses. The sugar canes of Baramati are long waiting for you with bated breath. And nov would be a nice time to visit there and have a nice meet.
Oops... Sorry, I was thinking this was a non-family meet bcos if I recollect right, the trek back from Matheran to Neral takes atleast three to four hours. Would they walk that much? My daughter hardly walks for max half and hour and then asks me to hold her.
With family, I would suggest this being a weekend trip instead of a one dayer. What say?

Last edited by f1fan : 8th October 2010 at 15:03.
Old 9th October 2010, 11:20   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@VRP BTW, did I see something related to BMW of something in your log?
The answer will be out on Monday - promise. I will do a cleaning tomorrow and get a nice picture for all to drool.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
1] Thats the problem, VRP gave genuine reasons two times and we could not do much.

2] I am in for Matheran if......the d-day is in Dec.
I am going to keep my mouth firmly shut this time.

Because, I am a living proof of murphy's law - something or the other seems to be going wrong......

Quote:
The sugar canes of Baramati are long waiting for you with bated breath. And nov would be a nice time to visit there and have a nice meet.
When will you be back from your Sringeri trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
With family, I would suggest this being a weekend trip instead of a one dayer. What say?
How about the crowds? I thought Matheran would be full each weekend, much like Lonavala....

BTW, the way our discussions are going, other bhpians may object looking at the number of meets being planned. Rest may be wondering what sort of working life we have....

Let me get back to my journey.

The 2nd leg was - by road, of course!

Name this road - anyone?
Stress buster!!-img_2892.jpg

These pictures don't do justice, but in reality these mountains (mostly hidden in the clouds) reminded how these range got their name!
Stress buster!!-img_2891.jpg

And, a perfect conical hillock - natures pyramid?
Stress buster!!-img_2893.jpg
Old 9th October 2010, 11:25   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Name this road - anyone?
Attachment 436112
It may be NH17 ,
manipal-udupi-mangalore section.:
Old 9th October 2010, 13:42   #379
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

When will you be back from your Sringeri trip?

Name this road - anyone?
Sringeri is a 5 day trip saar. I will be back in no time.

Ok. Rajiv Gandhi Rashtra Maha Marg. Oops. Sorry, I just read the news now that there's been too many things named after the Nehru clan and it's frowned upon and one shouldn't continue on that line.

So Let me think of a nice name.

@AP. If Manipal - Udupi - Mangalore road becomes like that, then Dharavi would be the next singapore.

Anyway, the Udupi - Mangalore stretch is a lot better in NH17 than 20 kms north and 20 kms south of Bhatkal.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:26   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
It may be NH17 ,
manipal-udupi-mangalore section.:
Had NH17 been like that, I would be doing Pune-Mangalore every month!!!

In fact, I can even think of applying for the job of a Volvo driver to ply one on a road like that ...

Unfortunately, this is how NH17 was - at least three weeks back -

Stress buster!!-img_2945.jpg

MX6, will be in a better position to comment - after his forth coming trip down the coast....

Quote:
Ok. Rajiv Gandhi Rashtra Maha Marg.

@AP. If Manipal - Udupi - Mangalore road becomes like that, then Dharavi would be the next singapore.

Anyway, the Udupi - Mangalore stretch is a lot better in NH17 than 20 kms north and 20 kms south of Bhatkal.
Hmm.... is that the name?

I thought it was the 'L&T Road'!!

Quote:
The answer will be out on Monday - promise. I will do a cleaning tomorrow and get a nice picture for all to drool.....
And, here's what you all have been waiting for!!!!

Didn't have enough time to clean / dust the car before shooting..

Stress buster!!-img_3166.jpg

Don't blame me if this was not what you had expected - blame the relative who gifted it!!!

Don't look a gift horse in the tooth, goes an old adage! As long as it is BMW and it runs, I have no complaints!! And, no parking hassles too...

BTW, the name of the German Company engaged in the auto business is Bosch.
Old 11th October 2010, 13:56   #381
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I love the alloys and the rubber on your car. But then would have appreciated a better finish on the body. Was it bought in India or what?
I bought a ferrari in UK and that had some good rubber and alloys on it as well. I guess I'll get it out and let my daughter chase it. She has an ikon of her own now!

And the Rajiv Gandhi mahamarg was actually a joke making fun of the number of projects we have being named after him and his clan and a notice on that effect in some paper that I read.

The photo of NH17 you have put up is frightening. I guess I will have to sell my ikon and buy a hovercraft. Which section of NH17 was this? Hope it's the Bhatkal place. Because that's the worst of that stretch. If this was some other stretch, then traversing bhatkal would mean, dismantling my car.
Old 13th October 2010, 12:45   #382
Senior - BHPian

Mega bull....

MX6, it was bought in Germany - no idea where it is made.

I don't know now what types of toy cars are available nowadays (everything has become battery operated / electronic), but I remember giving a ferrari to my daughter - which will run if you pull a string (the string was winding up a spring inside and as the spring uncoils, the wheels used to spin). My daughter used to love it so much, that she would even build a ramp for it to fly across.... I am sure your daughter will have lots of fun with hers...

Thankfully, that stretch of highway was near Kasargod. I am told that the repair work of NH17 is yet to get underway - can give an update next week, as somebody is planning to drive down to Mangalore from Pune.

Back to my travel -

Enroute to Palghat from Coimbatore, one can see this huge statue (?) of the nandi at a village called Navakkarai - reportedly the largest in India, over 31 feet high and weighing more than 15 tons!! It is made out of black stone powder mixed with cement.

Right profile
Stress buster!!-img_2896.jpg

Left profile
Stress buster!!-img_2899.jpg

From the back
Stress buster!!-img_2904.jpg

Close up
Stress buster!!-img_2897.jpg

A devi / sentry?
Stress buster!!-img_2900.jpg

Its tail
Stress buster!!-img_2901.jpg

Finally, is this part of anatomy, ahem, is what I think it is?
Stress buster!!-img_2903.jpg
Old 13th October 2010, 20:36   #383
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I did pune to udupi. currently in udupi.
here's the breakup.
home to katraj - 90 mins.
katraj to satara - 90 mins.
satara to belgaum - 190 mins.
belgaum to ankola - 210 mins,
ankola to udupi - 330 mins.
Bhatkal should be moved out of road maps. 30 kms of the stretch took me 2.5 hours. fill the craters with water, and it can accomodate 2-3 buffaloes each. NH17 is national shame between honnavara and kundapura.
sorry for the ot
Old 13th October 2010, 20:55   #384
BHPian

Prabhu Mam: Can you check the manufacturer and scale of the Mini that you have? The car looks good. A little bit of dusting and Mincream would create wonders on it. I do it regularly to my collection.

Quote:
I did pune to udupi. currently in udupi.
here's the breakup.
home to katraj - 90 mins.
katraj to satara - 90 mins.
satara to belgaum - 190 mins.
belgaum to ankola - 210 mins,
ankola to udupi - 330 mins.
Bhatkal should be moved out of road maps. 30 kms of the stretch took me 2.5 hours. fill the craters with water, and it can accomodate 2-3 buffaloes each. NH17 is national shame between honnavara and kundapura.
sorry for the ot
Not National Shame, As samurai says, it is National Horror 17 .
During my school days, when we used to visit Mangalore, NH17 was one of the best NH's of India. Gone are those days.

Last edited by f1fan : 13th October 2010 at 20:58.
Old 13th October 2010, 21:04   #385
BANNED

Heheheh! These kind of modern lumps of concrete/plaster/whaever are a great insult to the Indian tradition of sculpting .. just look at that ghastly representation of a woman!!

BTW OT but do you know that the Nandi is actually a bull breed refined to a pedigree by the Indian expertise in animal husbandry over centuries since Harappan times? It is today's Nellore (AP) or Ongole bull - not the ill-bred weakling you see pulling carts - the pedigree one stands at or above 6ft at the hump. It is renowned to be sturdy, adaptable to hot arid climates, requires less fodder and water to maintain, has very little fat and a "workhorse" with great stamina. Its genetic pool and traits have been refined over a few 1000 years after being adapted to climatic conditions of NorthWest Pak/India, the Gangetic plains and Deccan plateau all across India.

It is also probably the most exported cattle gene in the world winning the hearts of African and South American agriculturists since the Brits realized their value and exported it in their colonies. Some 70% of cattle beef in North America also comes from a cross-breed of the Nellore bull.

Those interested should research how a mating pair is selected in traditional village ceremonies - accompanied by complex rituals and customs, behind the scenes is a deep insight in the selection and qualification of livestock using tradition knowledge systems that English speaking public are bound to be unawares of.

Cheers
Old 16th October 2010, 11:15   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how one can lodge a complaint / protest regarding the poor conditions of the road to NHAI?

Their website does not have any link for registering / lodging complaints. The only info available is this -

Quote:
For any valuable suggestions or query please contact :
Mr. S.Manivasagam Ext:-1517
Ph-25074100 & 25074200
Mail me vasan@nhai.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Prabhu Mam: Can you check the manufacturer and scale of the Mini that you have?
Not National Shame, As samurai says, it is National Horror 17 .
The model is branded something like 'Dixie Toys', and is marketed by an Austrian Company. However, it also clearly states 'Made in China". I haven't opened the original packing yet - will give the dimensions after opening. BTW, the door, tail gate and the bonnet opens.... and they have a convertible model too!!

As regards NH17, any idea what our Hon. Minister Kamal Nath is up to these days? Can any one direct his attention to the general deterioration of road conditions (i.e. highways) all over - the posts in 'current road condition update' certainly paints horror stories...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
BTW OT but do you know that the Nandi is actually a bull breed refined to a pedigree by the Indian expertise in animal husbandry over centuries since Harappan times?
Ragul, that was plenty of interesting info - thanks. And looks like that the nandi has a pedigree that none can match!!

This was the steed on which we traveled to visit the nandi and thence to Calicut. I am the odd one out in the family. Why? Because everybody else is a die-hard Maruti owner. The recent battery problems in the Palio seem to have re-affirmed their faith in Maruti :-(
Stress buster!!-img_2905.jpg

The monsoon was tapering off, but the cloud cover was an amazing sight. Seen head on, the KSRTC bus seemed to be descending from the heavens!!
Stress buster!!-img_2906.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2911.jpg

The road was also heavenly, with a few / random broken patches - nothing to take away the pleasure of the journey...
Stress buster!!-img_2907.jpg
Stress buster!!-img_2908.jpg
Old 16th October 2010, 20:52   #387
Senior - BHPian

Sir, this looks like the Coimbatore Palakkad Highway - but the where did you spot the KSRTC? This does not ply the cbe-pkd route

The Nandi photos were good - I've never stopped to take a look till now!!
Old 17th October 2010, 10:40   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, is this part of anatomy, ahem, is what I think it is?
Attachment 438231
Hi Prabhumam

this story by Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik explains this part of anatomy in a best possible way.

please read on

Stress buster!!-story-nandi.jpg
Old 18th October 2010, 22:14   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
looks like the Coimbatore Palakkad Highway - but the where did you spot the KSRTC? This does not ply the cbe-pkd route

The Nandi photos were good - I've never stopped to take a look till now!!
It is indeed Coimbatore - Palghat highway.

I have seen some Town-to-Town buses of KSRTC buses between Palghat and Coimbatore (white coloured body), on this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
this story by Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik explains this part of anatomy in a best possible way.
SV, thanks for the comprehensive info. And the name rings a faint bell...

That was the idea which I had when I posted - what is the difference between an ox and a bull. (And, I have seen the male version of a buffalo too - don't remember what it is called. Something is 'reda' in Marathi, I think)

BTW, I have seen a variation of the castration process - more like a crude method of vasectomy, which is supposed to be more quick and efficient and less painful.

Only a couple of pictures today. Can you spot the differences?

Stress buster!!-img_2909.jpg

Stress buster!!-img_2912.jpg
Old 19th October 2010, 22:38   #390
Senior - BHPian

The weather was pleasant and the drive to Palghat was enjoyable. We made good time - the Palakkad 'Churam' (ghat) is a childs' play when compare to the ones in Maharashtra. But, I have experienced one particular phenomenon here more than once - howling winds. The winds attack you with so much force, that you can feel it dragging you away from the intended path - two wheelers must be having a tough time.
Stress buster!!-img_2913.jpg

For me the left handers are more challenging than the right
Stress buster!!-img_2914.jpg

An Omni navigating a rough patch - not the most ideal vehicle for highway travel....
Stress buster!!-img_2916.jpg

And, this bridge is so narrow, that there is a signal to regulate the traffic flow!!
Stress buster!!-img_2917.jpg

Last edited by vrprabhu : 19th October 2010 at 22:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks