Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2010, 12:41   #61
Senior - BHPian

One major thing i learnt was which are the tallest 10 buildings in the modern world. This was a showcase on the 87th floor of the Taipei 101.

Pardon me for the quality of the pictures. There was a very dim light plus i was shooting using a camera phone plus my near zero skills behind the camera. I tried to do some cropping + paste job.

082 Burj Dubai
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-1-burj-dubai.jpg

083 Taipei 101
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-2-taipei-101.jpg

084 Shanghai world financial
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-3-shanghai-world-financial.jpg

085 Kaulalumpur Petronas Towers
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-4-kaulalumpur-petronas-towers.jpg

086 Chicago Wills Tower
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-5-chicago-willis-tower.jpg

087 Chicago Trump International Hotel & Tower
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-6-chicago-trump-international-hotel-tower.jpg

088 Shanghai Jin Mao building
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-7-shanhai-jin-mao-building.jpg

089 Hongkong Two international financial center
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-8-hongkong-two-international-finance-center.jpg

090 Guangzhou Citic Plaza
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-9-guangzhou-citic-plaza.jpg

091 Shenzhen Shun Hing Square
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-number-10-shenzhen-shun-hing-square.jpg

Why people (read men) are fascinated by (and build) tallest structures ?

answer is simple: to show "mine is bigger than yours"

Tall structures throw in an opportunity to show the financial might, courage to defy the laws of nature, to demonstrate the power of design and execution, to provide an iconic identity to the place we live.

It is amazing to see Taiwan despite the frequent Typhoons and Earth Quakes has been able to design, construct and maintain world's second tallest structure. in fact it was the tallest for about 5+ years till the Burj Dubai came up.

i spent about 3 hours plus 2500 RS to explore the Taipei 101..coming up in the next posts.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 18th July 2010 at 12:47.
Old 18th July 2010, 13:25   #62
BHPian

Interesting. 4 out of 10 in China. Include Hong Kong, Taiwan and Malaysia - 7 of them in East Asia.
Old 18th July 2010, 15:25   #63
Senior - BHPian

@arindam : 6 out of 10 in greater china, now HK is part of china and China still claims ownership of Taiwan anyway.

As per Wikipedia...

Taipei 101 is owned by Taipei Financial Center Corporation (TFCC), built at a cost of NT$ 58 Bn or 1.8BUS$ or ~RS 9000 crores, boasts 101 floors from the ground to the top and 5 floors under the ground.

It has been designed to withstand Typhoons and Earthquakes, Planners aimed for a structure that could withstand gale winds of 60 m/s (197 ft/s, 216 km/h, 134 mph) and the strongest earthquakes likely to occur in a 2,500 year cycle.
Architects are CY Lee and Partners, Thronton Tommasetti is the structural engineer. Samsung C&T - KTRT Joint venture is the building contractor.

Upon its completion Taipei 101 claimed the official records for:

* Ground to highest architectural structure (spire): 509.2 metres (1,671 ft). Previously held by the Petronas Towers 452 m (1,483 ft).
* Ground to roof: 449.2 m (1,474 ft). Formerly held by the Willis Tower 442 m (1,450 ft).
* Ground to highest occupied floor: 439.2 m (1,441 ft). Formerly held by the Willis Tower 412.4 m (1,353 ft).
* Fastest ascending elevator speed: 16.83 m/s (55.22 ft/s) (60.6 km/h, 37.7 mi/h).Now it has been succeeded by Burj Khalifa's elevator whose speed of ascending is 18m/s(64km/h).
* Largest countdown clock: Displayed on New Year's Eve.
* Tallest sundial.

Taipei 101 was the first building in the world to break the half-kilometer mark in height and the first record-setting skyscraper constructed in the new millennium.

092 Taipei 101 artists impression (download from wiki)
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-092-taipei101-artists-impression.jpg

093 Taipei 101 from a distance (download from www)
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-093-taipei-101-download-picture.jpg

094 Taipei 101 ..view from ground zero
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-094-taipei-101.jpg

095 Taipei 101 ..another view by me
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-095-taipei-101-another-view-point.jpg

096 Man always aspire the tallest thing and love to exist on the same ground
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-096-tallest-thing-love-both-same-ground.jpg

097 The organization those have offices in Taipei 101, wanna work here ?
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-097-organizations-having-offices-taiei-101-wanna-work-here.jpg

098 Taipei 101 entry door, it has 4 entry doors in 4 directions
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-098-taipei-101-entry.jpg

099 Taipei 101 floor guide
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-099-taipei-1010-floor-guide.jpg

i first went to 85th floor for the fine dining restaurant, i had a dinner there several years ago, the lift for the 85th & 86th floor restaurants are different than the ones for the other floors.

i am attaching here some pictures taken from the 85th floor.

100-104 fantastic view from the 85th floor
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-view-85th-floor-1.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-view-8th-floor-2.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-view-85th-floor-3.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-view-85th-floor-4.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-view-85th-floor-5.jpg

i could still capture the view at about 6.30 PM. i have increased the contrast (auto correct function) of the above 5 pictures using the editing software.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 18th July 2010 at 15:44.
Old 18th July 2010, 16:11   #64
Senior - BHPian

I never knew about the modern 7 wonders of this world, probably except one or two until i came to the 89th floor of Taipei 101. here they are..

105 wonder of size
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-105-wonder-size.jpg

106 wonder of engineering
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-106-wonder-engineering.jpg

107 wonder of construction
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-107-wonder-construction.jpg

108 wonder of the beauty
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-108-wonder-beauty.jpg

109 wonder of speed
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-109-wonder-speed.jpg

110 wonder of the transportation
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-110-wonder-transportation.jpg

111 wonder of height (probably not any longer)
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-111-wonder-height.jpg

out of these 7, i have managed to experience two, shanghai train and Taipei 101. Indeed Taipei 101 deserves to be a modern wonder, how ?
let me give you some information in next posts.
Old 18th July 2010, 16:34   #65
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see the wonders. And interestingly, I've seen the Falkirk wheel, the Big dig and the chunnel!

Interestingly, the Menara KL looks taller than Petronas. due to the mound on which it rests.
Petronas lost the tallest tower title to the taipei tower which inturn lost it to burj.
But petronas is still the tallest twin structure in the world.
Willis tower which figures in Stars list was earlier called sears tower. Still the tallest in US. But I prefer the views from Hancock tower which is just a stone's throw away from the sears tower.
Old 18th July 2010, 18:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very nice piece of information. Let alone seeing any one of them, I had not even heard about few of them. Poor GK. I just wonder how workers would have constructed the top of the building! Must be scary.

BTW, I was just thinking whats the highest building in India? Dont even want to think to compare with any of them but just for GK.
Old 19th July 2010, 03:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Travel advisory states that the lone female passengers to avoid taxi ride after late evening hours
Oh!!! Having given a great impression in the first few lines about their taxi systems, I was aching as why we don't have such system here. But the above line gives me a thought, people are the same everywhere.

Also I'm wondering as why most of the board are being compared to Brookyln bridge, Hoover dam, English channel, I93?

Also, what is Shangai to Pudong route doing in Taipei? That route is in China isn't it? I couldn't understand this point.

Eagerly waiting to read the wonders on Taipei 101.

Quote:
Ever forgotten to say Asian Veg at the time of booking in a Lufthansa? Yes? Enjoy! Bread, Salad and Juice
@Ampere - All the times, I'd food supplied from Taj, all way from Chennai upto USA. Yes, I agree that its not the same case on the return leg.
Old 19th July 2010, 11:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
And interestingly, I've seen the Falkirk wheel, the Big dig and the chunnel!
But petronas is still the tallest twin structure in the world.
i for sure want to drive through the chunnel., probably in next couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I just wonder how workers would have constructed the top of the building! Must be scary.

BTW, I was just thinking whats the highest building in India? Dont even want to think to compare with any of them but just for GK.
you may find the story of Taipei 101 construction in the discovery channel under mega structures.

Here is the list of the tallest buildings in India as well as the under construction buildings.

List of tallest buildings in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Also I'm wondering as why most of the board are being compared to Brookyln bridge, Hoover dam, English channel, I93?

Also, what is Shangai to Pudong route doing in Taipei? That route is in China isn't it? I couldn't understand this point.
These details about other wonders have been showcased on the 89th floor along with the details of Taipei 101. It is just to give a perspective to the visitor.

moving forward with the story...

I once again came down to lobby floor from the 85th floor, then i found the side which leads to the 89th floor observatory. It is on the 5th floor. I bought the ticket for 400 NT$ and joined the queue.

112 everyone is photographed. one can get the photographs morphed with Taipei 101. This is also an good way of managing security and identifying the visitors. There is no obligation to buy the photograph.
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-112-your-photograph-taipei-101.jpg

113 while waiting for the lift one's photograph appears on the LCD screen, if you do not like the photographs, one can go back and get snapped again. one is given a token number as ID.
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-113-preview-phtograph.jpg

114 the Toshiba lift is one of the fastest in the world. it takes about 45 seconds to the 89th floor (from 5th floor)
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-114-display-inside-lift.jpg

115 some details about the lift
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-115-taipei-101-lift-description.jpg

116 a replica of the lift is showcased on the 89the floor with all the technical, safety details which i omitted here
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-116-replica-lift-89th-floor.jpg

117 Stand Tall and See Taiwan is the welcome message (be proud)
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-117-stand-tall-see-taiwan.jpg

118 Taipei 101 architecture is based on simple and humble Bamboo, which withstands the heavy rains, winds, floods etc.
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-118-taipei-101-architecture.jpg

119 all the displays are marked, one is given a assistant guide. one has to go to the display and press the number and listen to the description. the language options are 4 listed apart form Taiwanese and Mandarin
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-119-personalized-guide.jpg

120 Taipei 101 held lot many records, many of them have now been broken by Burj Dubai
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-120-lists-records.jpg

121 Making of Taipei 101
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-121-making-taipei-101.jpg

122 more about making of Taipei 101
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-122-making-taipei-101-ii.jpg

123 Taipei 101 security, safety, communication systems.
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-123-taipei-101-security-communication-fire-safety.jpg

124 there is a 5 minutes video show on making of Taipei 101
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-124-5-minutes-video-making-taipei-101.jpg

125 - 132 views from the 89th floor
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-125-view-89th-floor.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-126-view-89th-floor-ii.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-127-view-89th-floor-iii.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-128-view-89th-floor-iv.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-129-view-89th-floor-v.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-130-view-89th-floor-vi.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-131-view-89th-floor-vii.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-132-view-89th-floor-viii.jpg

View is breath taking, my photographs do not do justice to the view at all

how small a human being is when looked from the top was the though riding my mind when i shot these pictures.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 19th July 2010 at 11:10.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:26   #69
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I saw videos of construction of most of the towers I visited in their tower visitor complex itself. Those people are the most threatened species in the world.
The video showed one thing. Where will you tie yourself up while on those kinds of high rise beams etc? There's simply nothing above to hasten yourself to!
It was chilling to see people walking on the beams with little or no harness at those heights. Ofcourse these were over 2 decades back. Now the scenario might have changed. These towers also have plaques showing how many people lost their lives building it.

@starvega. You can't drive through the chunnel. You will have to drive your car in to a train at Dover which takes you across the channel in the chunnel and you drive out from Calais, on the opposite side of the road!
The train rides the chunnel. When I go home, I shall post a photo of how the train looks which takes in all the other vehicles.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:26   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

You can do passenger train through the chunnel too. It really is amazing to be in Paris three hours after leaving London.
Old 19th July 2010, 18:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@starvega. You can't drive through the chunnel. You will have to drive your car in to a train at Dover which takes you across the channel in the chunnel and you drive out from Calais, on the opposite side of the road!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You can do passenger train through the chunnel too. It really is amazing to be in Paris three hours after leaving London.
Thanks MX6, Thad, Now i remember, this is the Eurostar train right ?
i have traveled by the similar train (Thalis) between Amsterdam and Paris
i am sure it is a must do during the europe back pack trip.

now moving with the story...

Taipei 101 hosts the world's largest wind damper

133 What is a Wind Damper : it is approx 3 floors big suspended ball
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-133-wind-dampner-taipei-101.jpg

134 How does it look like ?
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-134-wind_damper-how-does-look-like.jpg

135 what is the need for a damper ?
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-135-need-damper.jpg

136 How a damper works ?
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-136-how-damper-works.jpg

137 how is it fastened ?
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-137-how-fastened.jpg

138 take a closer look at the big ball
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-138-take-closer-look.jpg

139 take a closer look at the ropes
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-139-ropes.jpg

140 have a look at the world record
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-140-world-record.jpg

It is said that the wind damper sports 4 different moods.

141 Cool Black
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-141-mood-1-cool-black.jpg

142 Lucky Red
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-142-mood-2-lucky-red.jpg

143 Smart Silver
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-143-mood-3-smart-silver.jpg

144 Rich Gold
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-144-mood-4-rich-gold.jpg

coming up next... the highest accessible floor for visitors..91st floor
Old 19th July 2010, 18:17   #72
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pics. Being the largest manufacturer of electronic components, the city itself looks like a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) from atop Taipei 101.
Old 19th July 2010, 18:41   #73
BHPian

Tremendous information there Star. I just browsed through, but will have to take another look at it in slow motion to grasp the details. Nice pics. Views from the 85th and 89th floor, specially the night shots, are very impressive.

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 19th July 2010 at 18:42.
Old 19th July 2010, 19:29   #74
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful information. Very exhaustive. Never knew about the damper concept. Thanks to you that I am more knowledgeable.

The night shots are good. Is there some special area to see the damper? Is there a ticket for it?

You mentioned before you spent 2500RS to explore the building. Was that the expenditure on personnel purchases or something else?
Old 19th July 2010, 19:42   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Excellent pics. Being the largest manufacturer of electronic components, the city itself looks like a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) from atop Taipei 101.
Very well said Vasoo. I had the same opinion!
What is so surprising is to go through their story about their rise to this level, from scratch.

Most Viewed