Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2010, 20:35   #76
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You know there are dampers in the skybridge between the two towers of petronas? And did you also know that the skybridge is not attached to either of the towers but is hinged on ball bearings?
This is another great concept here. When the wind sways the two towers, if the towers start swaying in opposite directions, the bridge will cleave if attached. Hence it stands free on those ball bearings and sways sideways. And to reduce that swaying, we have tubular dampers running on either side of the sky bridge!
Old 19th July 2010, 21:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Excellent pics. Being the largest manufacturer of electronic components, the city itself looks like a PCB (Printed Circuit Board) from atop Taipei 101.

Very well said, i had not imagined it to be a PCB, indeed it looks like a mother board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Tremendous information there Star. I just browsed through, but will have to take another look at it in slow motion to grasp the details. Nice pics. Views from the 85th and 89th floor, specially the night shots, are very impressive.
Advantage of TBHP is one can anytime view the information. thanks, i am happy that you guys liked the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Wonderful information. Very exhaustive. Never knew about the damper concept. Thanks to you that I am more knowledgeable.

The night shots are good. Is there some special area to see the damper? Is there a ticket for it?

You mentioned before you spent 2500RS to explore the building. Was that the expenditure on personnel purchases or something else?
Today, i have become a true traveler who helps in transfering the knowledge gained during the travels to others. I am happy that you became more knowledgeable.

Damper does not have a special ticket. As i said before the visit to the entire 87th to 91st floors had a ticket of 400NT$. Then i bought the 2 photographs of mine with two different backgrounds 300 NT$ x 2, TAXI fare to and fro is approx another 500 NT$+ = totaling approx 1500 NT$, totaling approx RS 2000/- (not RS 2500 as i said earlier).

Regarding personal purchases i will write about it in shopping section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very well said Vasoo. I had the same opinion!
What is so surprising is to go through their story about their rise to this level, from scratch.
if a tiny island community can achieve this, what is the entitlement of a great nation like ours which has more than 5000 years of history, culture, knowledge, abilities, working hands and brains. I am sure our time will once again come in future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
You know there are dampers in the skybridge between the two towers of petronas?
that is a good information, i was not knowing. thanks for sharing.
will look for it if at all i visit petronas towers

Visit to the 91st floor..

91st floor is the highest point a visitor can visit. I am sure the view during the day time would be fantastic. I made the best out of the available opportunity. It was almost 8 PM

145 view above from the 95th floor, all those floors till 101 are not accessible to general visitor
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-145-view-above-91st-floor.jpg

146 a view around
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-146-view-around.jpg

147 have a closer look at binoculars, there are about 8 of them
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-147-closer-look-binaculers.jpg

148 what one should not do on 91st floor
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-148-what-one-should-not-do-91st-floor.jpg

149 view down below
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-149-view-down-below.jpg

150 view down below
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-150-view-down-below-ii.jpg

There are several security guards maning the 91st floor, but they are non intruding. Body language is also very friendly.

after spending about 10-15 minutes, i returned to 89th floor.. It is time for shopping.. window shopping i mean..
Old 19th July 2010, 21:58   #78
BHPian

Loved the questions from your daughter. Very simple ones but very insighful - and love the way that you handled them. My daughter is just about a year old now and she already talks so much - or mumbles should I say! Can't wait for her to actually start talking!
Old 19th July 2010, 23:19   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, that is the Eurostar train that goes through the channel tunnel.

That wind damper is amazing! As is the description of the attachment (or, rather, non-attachment) of the walkway between the twin towers.
Old 20th July 2010, 00:26   #80
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Thad. Here's the pic of the dampers for you. Look at those huge cylindrical structures on the ceiling of the sky bridge.

Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-dampers.jpg
Old 20th July 2010, 01:37   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. It's amazing.

Unfortunately I don't have a head for heights!
Old 21st July 2010, 15:17   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post
Loved the questions from your daughter. Very simple ones but very insighful - and love the way that you handled them. My daughter is just about a year old now and she already talks so much - or mumbles should I say! Can't wait for her to actually start talking!
Once she starts talking, you have only one thing to do..Listen
make the best out of both the situations. it is good that you will go back to Mumbai, you will get more time with your daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Thad. Here's the pic of the dampers for you. Look at those huge cylindrical structures on the ceiling of the sky bridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks. It's amazing.
+1 to what Thad said.
5 elements (Earth, Sky, Fire, Wind, Water) have amazing powers. I feel we humans are yet to know these elements fully. What we know could be just the tip of the element-burg. But what we have achieved till now is also remarkable.

next one hour was spend in window shopping. Initially on the 86-89th floor, later on on the floors 1-5. attaching some random images here.

151 Flowers, of-course artificial ones
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-151-flowers.jpg

152 Glass house
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-152-glass-house.jpg

153 Artificial trees
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-153-artificial-trees.jpg

154 Chinese Mythology
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-154-chinese-mythology.jpg

155 Chinese / Taiwanese Tea
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-155-chinese-tea.jpg

156 Corals
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-156-corals.jpg

157 Owl made up of Corals
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-157-owl.jpg

158 Eagle
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-158-eagle.jpg

159 Wanted to buy this for my wife, checked for the price, it was available for NT$ 800000 only (~RS12.5Lacs).
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-159-wanted-buy-.jpg

160 On seeing my face the lady showed me this one for NT$ 12500/- (~RS20000/-), i was not sure of the real value
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-160-could-not-even-buy-.jpg

161 one can send the Taipei 101 memories by post from the 89th floor
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-161-taipei-101-memories.jpg

162 Does any one remember The Ghost Who Walks, was one of my favorite cartoon character when i was a kid.
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-162-ghost-who-walks.jpg

163 There was a discount scheme at the coffee shop, one has to rotate the disc, based on the place it stops, the mentioned discount one will get when he/she buys the food/coffee.
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-163-how-determine-your-lucky-discount.jpg

after spending time till 9:30 PM, my phone drained fully, my legs started telling me "please call it a day"...so i hoped on to the taxi from the basement of Taipei 101 and reached hotel by 10 PM.
Old 26th July 2010, 17:33   #83
Senior - BHPian

Some more trends from Taiwan..

I am told Taiwan is self dependent for the food produce. Organic farming is being use in plenty. Taiwan grows Lichie and Mangos. I have attached here locally produced Mango variety. It was tasting ok, no where match to Indian mangos.

Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-locally-grown-mangos.jpg

Second trend i am witnessing is Indian Thali becoming popular, even in the so called modern chinese theme resturants. They also have the curry masala available in packed form

Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-curry-becoming-popular.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-indian-thali-becoming-popular.jpg

Some of my Taiwanese colleagues simply love the Indian curry and the Roti/Naan. Even several of my customers love it. I also find that increasingly they are adapting our food and especially vegetarianism.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:49   #84
Senior - BHPian

Would love to see the inside of menu card and the prices. It looks like they review their prices every three months. This one is from Jul-Sep 2010. Is that true?
Old 27th July 2010, 18:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Would love to see the inside of menu card and the prices. It looks like they review their prices every three months. This one is from Jul-Sep 2010. Is that true?
Yes, This is for July -Sept 2010 period. I have seen several resturants change the themes (seating arrangement, lighting, decorations, flags, background pictures, uniforms of waiters etc) depending on the season. This time the resturant has donned the flavour of worldcup soccer with the different country flags, T-shirts, balls being displayed.

I do not have the price list, but this one was not very expensive, middle class resturant where office people often go for lunch.

now to the last leg of this trip..

After spending 5 days..it was time to go back home now..
Bidding goodbyes was quick, boarding the cab was quicker.

167 some views on the way..
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-167-bridge-hotel.jpg

168 attractions on the way..
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-168-attractions-airport.jpg

BTW, i have covered Taiwan airport extensively in my last log
please read..posts #74, #76, #77, #79, #80 in the below link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-meetha-8.html

169 some views of the airport..internal train to go from one terminal to another
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-169-airport-view.jpg

170 some information on taiwan's local tribe
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-170-taiwan-local-tribes.jpg

171 Taiwan's Tribal Festival (this is an high resolution image, one can download/zoom to read it)
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-171-taiwan-tribal-festivals.jpg

172 some colours of Taiwan
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-172-colours-taiwan.jpg

173 Taiwanese art
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-173-taiwanese-art.jpg

174 Taiwanese Ceramic art
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-174-taiwanese-ceramic-art.jpg

175: ceramic art background
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-175-taiwanese-ceramic-art-ii.jpg

176 Taiwanese jewllery..the right most one almost costs RS 30Lacs
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-176-taiwanese-jewllery.jpg

177: Taiwanese leaders for Sale
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-177-taiwanese-leaders.jpg

178 (Taiwan) Fermosa Tea, I wanted to buy a hat like that..may be next time
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-178-fermosa-tea.jpg

179 some boat
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-179-boat.jpg

180/181: Kids play area
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-180-kids-play-area.jpg
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-181-kids-play-area-ii.jpg

182 Growing a green lawn vertically
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-182-growing-lawn-verically.jpg

183 some different attractions from Taiwan..i need to explore more
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-183-some-different-attraction-taiwan.jpg

184 Taiwan...a Twin of our own Kerala
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-184-taiwan..another-kerala.jpg

185 Taiwan Sea Ecology
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-185-taiwan-ecology.jpg

186 I could capture a plane taking off
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-186-flying-over-taipei.jpg

187 At last at the boarding gate
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-187-boarding-gate.jpg

188 flight was on time, on the runway..ready to exit taipei
Business with Pleasure in the Land of Silicon and Electronic Gadgets - Taiwan-188-exiting-taipei.jpg

i had an un-eventful flight to hongkong, After a customery coffee at Starbucks, i boarded the flight to Bangalore which was another un-eventful journey.

this log is now coming to an end... till i visit Taiwan again some time in future.

Thanks for reading, commenting, appreciating.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 27th July 2010 at 18:38.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Great travelogue as usual from you SVB sir; I wonder what's in store for 30L in that necklace? The beads/pearl being so rare?
Old 27th July 2010, 19:10   #87
BHPian

Hats off to you

a wonderful, excellent use of words, and made us feel as if we had traveled there with you! more over superb photos and descriptions made it feel great
Keep up the great work buddy and god bless you to have more and more of these kinda trips, provided, you write the travelogue without fail
Old 27th July 2010, 23:26   #88
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome home SVB. Now really looking forward to the next trip 2 months down the line!
Old 28th July 2010, 00:04   #89
BHPian

@Star: Wonderful account. Thanks for showing us Taiwan.
Old 28th July 2010, 02:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Beach looks beautiful & wondering what all can be done from disco, area for children, sports, shades, windmill & even a chapel besides swimming pool, windmill/light house; I'm really sad recalling our good old Marina, which is the second largest beach in the world & its pathetic condition.
OMG how come I missed such an informative thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks