Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2010, 18:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

Looks like you can drive all the way till the lake! Did you drive in the late hours of the day? Was it safe?
Old 11th July 2010, 18:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Looks like you can drive all the way till the lake! Did you drive in the late hours of the day? Was it safe?
Actually, i had been to a relative's place at Hassan. Then all of a sudden, we decided to visit this place, which i came to know from a CKM localite friend.
We reached CKM at 5 pm. And then it takes another 15 min from there to the lake. It is safe, as there are quite a few coffee estates on the way. And also, just before this lake, there is a village.
And i also found that, all through the way, right from CKM, people would guide you to this place. Every one seems to know Hirekolale lake! ( i really dint until recently).
We finally left the place at 7 pm. and drove back to Bangalore via Kadur.

I found a group of 4, who planned to visit Mutthodi the next day, had camped here at this place. I really envy them.
Old 11th July 2010, 20:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

@Pramod - So nice to hear. But I'll tell one thing for sure, you cannot send them through emails. To be frank (and not flattery), the mentioned pictures remind me of some shots showcased in movies. From the pics it looks like you're more of a sunset person like me than sunrise. Is that true?
Old 11th July 2010, 20:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

H Pramod,

wonderful pictures there. I liked the B&W image of the rainy morning at Sringeri. It reminded me of my visits/stay at my aunt's place at Sringeri during my teenage vacations and riding the Luna (along with my cousin) through those streets.
Old 11th July 2010, 21:37   #20
BHPian

@aargee - I never wakeup before 8 am , except the trip mornings (obviously!). Even my office allows me to get in at 11:30 AM. No issues.
let me see how i can give u the snaps.

@StarVegaBond - Sringeri is a beautiful place. Sringeri and Horanadu are 2 temple towns, i dont get tired visiting each year. have u seen Kigga? You will like that place ever more. Kigga is 15 Kms from Sringeri.
Old 11th July 2010, 22:22   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

We might have crossed paths in Sringeri. You visit every year, I visit once in 2 months. And yes, Kigga is beautiful too. This time in August I plan to visit the school I saw in Starvegabond's thread in Hariharapura.

@Star. Any special requirements to get entry in to that school?
Old 11th July 2010, 22:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
This time in August I plan to visit the school I saw in Starvegabond's thread in Hariharapura.

@MX6 @ Star,

My tenant is a person by name Subramanya. He gave me a Hundi (piggy bank) 3 years back. I filled it up twice. And it has been collected by the Hariharapura school personnel.
So, i have been helping that school in my own way. And i definitely plan to visit that place soon. They have education till 10th i guess. The students who graduate from this school would be recognized in further colleges, which is good.
They have close to 60 to 80 students i guess.
Old 11th July 2010, 22:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I think at Hariharpura they admit boys of 10 years of age, having completed 4th standard education. Medium of instruction is Kannada. More over the the culture, environment are that of Hindu religion. It also appears that the parents need to provide some sort of undertaking that they understand the methodology of the school and they agree with the process and outcomes (i am not sure about this, but i see it to be inevitable). Education seems to be free (funded by the trust). I am not sure whether economic background of the studnet/family is considered or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
@StarVegaBond - Sringeri is a beautiful place. Sringeri and Horanadu are 2 temple towns, i dont get tired visiting each year. have u seen Kigga? You will like that place ever more. Kigga is 15 Kms from Sringeri.
Yes, i have heard about Kigga. I remember having driven there with my cousins when i was a teen, but i do not remember any specifics, which means i need to visit there on way to Udupi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
So, i have been helping that school in my own way.
They have close to 60 to 80 students i guess.
Keep up the good work, As per Chanakya, every human need to allocate certain minimum portion of our income to the charity and social cause.
Your contribution would go a long way in cntributing some poorer student's education and future life

Last edited by StarVegabond : 11th July 2010 at 22:59.
Old 11th July 2010, 23:09   #24
Team-BHP Support

Great going there! Once in two months MX to Sringeri is great!
Pramod I did not realize that the place is just 15 minutes from CKM!
Very close indeed.
Old 11th July 2010, 23:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I did not realize that the place is just 15 minutes from CKM!.
Yes. It is. I am sure, you know the Mutthodi road, which starts from the CKM city main road. Drive for 5 min on that. You hit a Y fork. Deviate right. Its 10-15 min from there max.
-----------------------------------
This photo was taken on the way from CKM to Balehonnur. We were infact driving to Sringeri. The CKM to Sringeri via Balehonnur, Jayapura is one of the fav drives.
And i dont miss the brilliant Bread omlettes, Coffee at Bhadra coffee shop, just before the Balehonnur bridge.
Memories from the last 5 years of travel-aldur.jpg

BHP Versus BCP, where C stands for Cow :P
Memories from the last 5 years of travel-bcpbhp.jpg

Name:  fiesta.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  87.5 KB

This photo was taken somewhere near jayapura. This was in 2006. I was driving my 800. I reach jayapura and took the usual U-turn towards Sringeri. To my disbelief, i see that, a bridge which comes just after that deviation, was broken due to heavy monsoon rains. And i was forced to take another route. I drove straight ahead at Jayapura towards Koppa. Then after 5 Kms, we reach a place called Basarikatte. Take a left here. It will reach the Sringeri road somehow.
This road was damn isolated, thick forests, grass and shrubs grown on the tarmac!! It thought it was insane, as i dint even have a spare tyre.
On this road, i see this weird thing on the road side. Clicked it. I then got to know that it is worshipped by all the villages here and then, it is moved to the border of the village and left there.
Memories from the last 5 years of travel-god.jpg

Nethravathi River, flowing near Gundia
Memories from the last 5 years of travel-nethravathi.jpg

Rough Arabian sea. Fishermen have to do what they have to, to feed themselves and their families. Even in the worst of weathers. You can see the Saint Mary's island in the background.
Memories from the last 5 years of travel-roughsea.jpg

Memories from the last 5 years of travel-sringeriroute.jpg

Theerthahalli
Memories from the last 5 years of travel-theerthahalli.jpg

This is in Tholapetti reserve forest. We drove from Kutta to Kerala side (Therunelli temple), for which , we have to drive through some very green and forested area. People in Kutta have often sighted Tigers in this area.
Memories from the last 5 years of travel-tholapetti.jpg

Vihangama retreat - Theerthahalli. I recommend this place highly. Liked it a lot. Tunga river flowing in all her might just beside this retreat. Nice Arcanut plantations. Great Hospitality.
Memories from the last 5 years of travel-vi2.jpg

Last edited by pramod : 11th July 2010 at 23:45.
Old 12th July 2010, 06:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Pramod - What's so special about Hariharapura school? Is it just another school & that you want to help or something more?
Old 12th July 2010, 08:14   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Pramod - What's so special about Hariharapura school? Is it just another school & that you want to help or something more?
Well, it is a school run on fund from outside basically. It is a residential school. I heard about this and had an oppurtunity to contribute, and i did. It neednt be anything more special, for one to help the cause of education.
Old 12th July 2010, 09:40   #28
Team-BHP Support

Pramod, Great snaps man.... The road looks in beautiful shape! Is it like that all the time in spite of rains?
More pointers to the resort please. Also what are the places to go around Tirthahalli?

There are so many places to go and life is so small!

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2010 at 09:42.
Old 12th July 2010, 10:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Is it like that all the time in spite of rains?
More pointers to the resort please. Also what are the places to go around Tirthahalli?
ampere -- The Vihangama Retreat is 4 Kms before Theerthahalli town, on the NH13, which routes from Shimogga to Karkala. You can see the Board on the road side very easily.
The places you can cover around Theerthahalli are as follows:

1. Tunga River and Bridge in Theerthahalli town.
2. Kundadri peak (highest peak in the Agumbe range)
3. Agumbe and Sunset point
4. Kuppalli village visit
5. Kuvempu's Smarakha (Kuvempu is put to rest in piece at this place. Very beautiful location)
6. Chiblu Gudda (This is a Cat fish sanctuary) -- A Ganesha Temple on the banks of the river Tunga in a nice setup. And loads of cat fish in the river. You can buy puffed rice and feed them all day :P

Roads are actually pretty nice around this place, ideally.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:54   #30
BHPian

Pramod,

Good idea, nice thread and amazing photos. Liked all of them.

Looks like Karnataka (specially, the wet part) will need another trip (or at least 6-7 days of a trip) to see those beautiful places in little detail. And I am sure, our friend Ampere will dig out best of the details from your trips in this thread, by the time we think of visiting those places , and we'll simply copy and print it. So, next time, we'll skip the Udupi to Gokarna part of NH 17 and step inside of the KA to see all these places, which were left out on our recent (first) road trip to south.

Great going, looking for more..

Most Viewed