Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 22:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you count the number of waterfalls in this picture?
That's awesome picture

Quote:
Interesting mangroves half submerged...looked pretty
pretty? Looks eerie to me; reminds me of Anaconda, Evil Dead & what not?

Quote:
Not a drop of that in pune though we are hardly 100 kms away
Hardly 100 Kms that you could make anytime; think about us?

All in all, the monsoon pics are going good; Tks for sharing @Nix.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:42   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hardly 100 Kms that you could make anytime; think about us?
A person finishing last in the race doesn't feel as bad as the person finishing second. So the pain of being so close and yet so far is big compared to being so far

Anyway Aargee, as per my monsoon calendar, Malsej comes up in August. But I'm planning to prepone it to next weekend seeing Nix's photos.

And nix. good photos.
Old 13th July 2010, 08:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Some great pics. A different approach to travel. Did you get as much wet as xylo? or just caught views from inside?

U bet....wet as wet can be!!
Old 13th July 2010, 10:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
as per my monsoon calendar, Malsej comes up in August. But I'm planning to prepone it to next weekend seeing Nix's photos.
August will be too rainy in Malshej, July is good time for that.

btw, i am going toward Amba ghat and Marleshwar in August.

@NIX,

The mentioned barren land is around sangamner while going from bhandaradara to malshej via akole-sangamaner-nh50-ale phata-otur-malshej.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:08   #20
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
August will be too rainy in Malshej, July is good time for that.
heh heh. July is all full. next weekend is T-BHP meet. The weekend after that is Harihareshwar.
Anyway, I'm a person who drives Agumbe during peak monsoons. For all you know, it might become another Raigarh kind of expedition.

But I'm seriously planning on how to couple Malsejh along with T-bhp meet. But Malsejh needs atleast 2 days.
Old 13th July 2010, 12:50   #21
BHPian

Excellent photos nix and a very lucid, rocking style of TL writing. Yes, monsoon does magic. All your TL is doing is that we'll have to have a date with not so favored NH3, so as to get wet in those locations.
Old 13th July 2010, 15:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Excellent photos nix and a very lucid, rocking style of TL writing. Yes, monsoon does magic. All your TL is doing is that we'll have to have a date with not so favored NH3, so as to get wet in those locations.

Thanks for the kind words...Any idea on the situation at Jog? and is it safe to drive down in end-July?
Old 13th July 2010, 16:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix1976in View Post
Thanks for the kind words...Any idea on the situation at Jog? and is it safe to drive down in end-July?

No idea, absolutely. I think people like 'rain man' (MX6) and ASHISHPALLOD will throw light on it.
Old 13th July 2010, 19:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you count the number of waterfalls in this picture?

Randha falls...didnt impress me after Dabhosa..
No, you can't. Because every slope in this area is a veritable waterfall. I stayed here for four years - and rains transform this place into wonderland.

And, Randha has to depend on the Bhandardara Dam for its flow. Did you visit the power generation station there? Is it operational? They had dug a tunnel into the mountain to channelise the water flow for generating power. Awesome piece of engineering.

But, I am disappointed - why not more pictures of Trimbakeshwar? Just a fleeting glimpse?? Would love to see the temple, the kund and source of Godavari.....

Quote:
Moved out from MTDC, Bhandardara and drove out towards Malshej, now I dont remember the exact route we took but passed through sugarcane fields, lush greenery and suddenly there was this barren stretch of land...it felt as if we were out in the summer,we asked some locals and they said it was natural and that the monsoons never reached this part since they were on the other side of the hills...implausible but we saw it...a barren stretch, burnt out grass, bright sunshine et all and 50-60 kms down the line, the greenery and the rains came back...it was really something else!! maybe it was Sangamner, not sure though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
The mentioned barren land is around sangamner while going from bhandaradara to malshej via akole-sangamaner-nh50-ale phata-otur-malshej.
Are you sure? Because, this was the route I used to take -

Pune - Chakan - Narayangaon - Bota Ghat - Sangamner - Akole - Rajur - Shendi (Bhandardara) - Ghoti - Nasik.

Alternate route : Pune - Chakan - Ale Phata - Otur - Kotul - Rajur - Ghoti (BTW, road splits here for Igatpuri and Nasik).

The route which nix says must be deviating somewhere between Akole - Sangamner. There is a rain shadow area and there is a village here (Deotan, if I am right) which tried lift irrigation but did not succeed.

And the entire belt from Rajur (Nilwande Dam, its backwaters, Chitalvedhe, Akole, Sangamner, Kopargaon, Shrirampur, Rahuri etc. ) is full of Sugarcane.

Quote:
Went to Jog via Hubli-Yellapur-Ankola-Honnavar, in the third week of June.

No problems. Road is OK - but rains will make progress slow.

Can I invite you to my thread 'Stress Buster'? (I am trying to change my career, and will test my luck as a salesman)

BTW, terrific picture of Dabhosa....
Old 13th July 2010, 19:13   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

It is absolutely safe to drive down. There are two routes. You can drive down NH17 all the way to Honnavar in Karnataka and then branch off from there to Jog.

I'd take this route.
E-Way to pune - NH4 to Hubli - NH63 to Yellapura - Take the state highway from there to Sirsi and Jog. Amazing roads and the whole stretch gets transformed amazingly.
Jog should be at her best, but then the unpredictable thing is that if it doesn't rain for a week, then the flow of water over the falls goes down considerably. That shouldn't deter you though as I hear that we have some good rains atleast till Udupi - Kundapur stretch even now.
But when Jog is amazing when you have full flow in all the falls!
I'd say go ahead by end of July. Also you can climb down the stairs (though with great care and caution).
Old 13th July 2010, 19:33   #26
Team-BHP Support

Another good point to the route MX suggested that you would see the vegetable transform slowly in front of your eyes!

Only roads, then trees, then forest, then rains and then falls!

Another shorter can be from Hubli take the route via Mundgod as ExtremeTorque did.
Old 13th July 2010, 20:24   #27
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That route via Mundgod might be in tatters with the first rains. And guess what? Yellapura has loads of waterfalls too!
Old 13th July 2010, 21:10   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That route via Mundgod might be in tatters with the first rains. And guess what? Yellapura has loads of waterfalls too!
How does the Yellapur-Sirsi hold?
Is it in better condition? Better maintained?
Old 13th July 2010, 22:42   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Yellapura - Sirsi - Sagara - Jog - Shimoga is a belter of a circuit. Those roads are amongst the finest in Karnataka!
Old 14th July 2010, 12:00   #30
BHPian

Guys Guys....thanks for the route infor however what I meant was that given the current situation in Belgaum, is it safe to travel to Jog in a MH registered car?

Most Viewed