Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 17:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Yes that is the tough part. I always have to keep a tab on my speed . The Mamu's here are good at catching the overspeeding vehicles.
How about a cop detection device from Walmart?

Quote:
The old WTC location will turn into a memorial. The remaining 5 locations will be converted into WTC. THere will be one tower which will be the tallest of all (even taller than the old WTCs)
Any number of pics along with Ellis island are highgly appreciated
Old 12th July 2010, 20:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very nice pics and nice narration. I liked that people travel around in Indian dresses. . Liked that Indian Barbie stall! Now my daughter wants an Indian Barbie!
Old 12th July 2010, 22:22   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@aargee. That cop detection device from Walmart is illegal in the state of Virginia through which AKroy drove. Even if it comes in the car, one is supposed to dismantle or atleast remove the batteries from that.

@Akroy. The trick is to never lead a pack. The first one is mostly the one who's caught. Also never hog the extreme left lane. Most of the cops have their radar's trained on that lane as that's the lane to pass. So overtake and move to the slowest lane which is the right most. Anyway, you'd know most of the tricks.
But above all, the best way to avoid tickets in US is to adhere to all road rules, including the speed limits. That's what MX6 would suggest as a proud BHPian.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Some Stats of the drive:
  • Total run on the 3.5 days were 1850miles (~ 2950 km)
  • Longest drive at a stretch in a day (Ronkonkoma to Atlanta): 919 miles (~ 1470km)
  • There are some amazing beaches in NY State near Long island which should not be missed.
  • Mazda6 is an amazing car. I was always a fan of XM1 which my Alto wore in India but must say MXV8 is a wonderful tyre of the Energy series, a mix blend of comfort and sporty. I did couple of sharp corners to test them at 95mph and the handling was a dream. It was soundless on the entire trip. 205/65/16 profile is fine for cruising but I still felt it would be interesting to check out a smaller aspect ratio tyre on Mazda6. It would really make it sporty.
  • I badly want to touch 200+ kmph speed. Don’t know where I can find an Autobahn like stretch in US to do so. I am fed up of driving these beasts at 120kmph.
@abhijeet
That is a lot of driving for 3.5 days. I am not sure about NY but am sure you would have enjoyed and had fun with the drive itself (-minus the traffic)

You are right, after Manhattan, Long Island should be on the must go list in NY. I watched the Road Trip episode (HDT) on NY and Niagara and realized after my NY trip that Long Island should be on my next trip to NY.

I seem to have started liking the looks of Mazda cars and wonder when are they coming to Indian roads. On my recent trip to Richmond I booked my car rental with Hertz as their website said they will give Mazda6 but they didn't had a Mazda and had to cool my heels with a prius - a stupid car - except the transimission.

And I too have similar feelings about driving at speeds of 200 KMPH but haven't figured out a way to do them here in US (without the risk of speed ticket). So if you figure out something, please keep us posted.

Last edited by akbaree : 12th July 2010 at 22:35.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Oh!!! that's a news to me. We were once driving through Ohio where the speed limit was 55 mph!!! (sucks) & I was happily cruising in very illegal speed limit until one of our friend cautioned that in the state of Ohio they use copters to monitor the speed & we were like

This is the first time I'm hearing such a device being banned on a state. They should first implement this in NJ city.
Old 12th July 2010, 22:30   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I seem to have started liking the looks of Mazda cars and wonder when are they coming to Indian roads.
Now you know why my handle is MX6.
Old 13th July 2010, 01:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@Akroy. The trick is to never lead a pack. The first one is mostly the one who's caught. Also never hog the extreme left lane. Most of the cops have their radar's trained on that lane as that's the lane to pass. So overtake and move to the slowest lane which is the right most. Anyway, you'd know most of the tricks.
But above all, the best way to avoid tickets in US is to adhere to all road rules, including the speed limits. That's what MX6 would suggest as a proud BHPian.
Thanks for the tips.

Yes, mostly I do that (never try to be the leader) but I just not able to drive in the slow lane. This is the habit which I cultivated from India. I stick to the fast lanes more often. Although I do move to the slow lanes at times which I should do more often. Let me see how I can change this habit of mine.

But yes, when I overtake a herd of cars and there is no vehicles in either lanes, I move to slow lane and pump hard to reach the next herd ahead and start following them.

Anyway, I am always in the +10mph speed range with occasional burst to higher speeds by looking at the situation.

Abhi
Old 13th July 2010, 01:29   #23
Senior - BHPian

First, your daughter is very very cute! Next, how much are you paying for the GPS per day ? OR have you bought it ? Is it Garmin or a Tom Tom ?
Lastly, Nice pics and waiting for more. Dhanyawaad!
Old 13th July 2010, 01:34   #24
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The piece on his dash looks like a Garmin 265. Incidentally I notice that the garmin is also customised for US users! look at the position of the on/off/lock switch!
Old 13th July 2010, 07:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
First, your daughter is very very cute! Next, how much are you paying for the GPS per day ? OR have you bought it ? Is it Garmin or a Tom Tom ?
Lastly, Nice pics and waiting for more. Dhanyawaad!
Dhanyawaad Pervez bhai.
Thats my GPS - Garmin Nuvi 205. I bought it before buying the car (it has been my companion in US for last one year)

Typically Rental houses charge about 10-15$ / day for GPS.

Abhi
Old 13th July 2010, 08:47   #26
BHPian

Akroy -- Really Enjoyed reading the Travelogue. Thanks for sharing. Mazda3 is easily available in Avis/Hertz. Mazda6 is pretty rare, i feel.
Old 13th July 2010, 09:23   #27
BHPian

Lovely travelogue Abhi. Reminds me of my days in Greenville. That Mazda 6 is a superb car. The color that you had is the same as the Mazda3, I had in Greenville.

Very nice pics.
Old 13th July 2010, 11:14   #28
BHPian

Quote:
But yes, I need to experience driving a more powerful car or a Safari around India compared to my Alto (which has been my only companion in India).
Let's plan for it once you are back.
Old 13th July 2010, 13:44   #29
MX6
Senior - BHPian

AKroy, I used to rent SUVs quite often when in US.
I drove from Orlando to N'orleans and back in a BMW X5.
I drove from Libertyville, IL to Gatlinburg, TN and back through a modified longer route in a Ford Escape.
I drove from Boston to Newyork and back when a hurricane blew over nova scotia / halifax, leaving behind 30 m$ losses, in a Nissan Xterra.
I loved the Nissan because in that torrential downpour, I was doing around 80 - 90 and didn't feel a thing!
BMW was impressive, but somehow Xterra scored above this beast for me.
Try renting out those too! Yes, I did notice that you've driven my fav van - the dodge caravan.
Old 20th July 2010, 10:24   #30
Senior - BHPian

Abhi, enjoyed your travelogue. Been missing your Indian travelogues for a while now. So give us more US travelogues

-Biju

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks