Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 16:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
That spidey thing is actually a work of modern art.
It's called Maman, the giant metal spider created by the french sculptor Louise Bourgeois. This guy is 10 meters tall and was housed in the Tate modern art gallery, London for some time. I had a look at him too, when he was in London.
Modern art??? My foot!!! If I happened to meet that guy Louise Bourgeois, I would tie him & feed to Tarantulas, Baboons & Black widow!!! So much for spiders!!!

Quote:
@aargee. You will accomplish it if you set out to. I never dreamt that I'd go abroad. Not only I went, I also took my parents. When I took my father to the London branch of the office he retired from in India, it was a momentuous proud time. You can think of taking them to Singapore / Malaysia for starters.
Yeah, you're right, but I'm very happy for what you did & that's the right thing to do too, but my situation is different now. Forget Europe, I cannot even think about Singapore or Malaysia as what you said. If at all I did, I should've done 2-3 years ago, but then time wasn't favourable. I can only sit here & keep reading & pass my kudos & be happy for others

And very nice tips MX6 on survival guide; I'll get them etched on my heart

Quote:
We reserved tickets, purchased groceries
@Chetan - I hope it was Indian groceries & don't tell me you'd planned to stay around Indian grocery stores.

Last edited by aargee : 20th July 2010 at 16:23.
Old 20th July 2010, 16:45   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Also, did you do the Werfen Ice caves in Austria? I ask because I lost the pics of the ice caves, along with my camera, on a ICE near Berlin and I wish I could see some snaps of that place again!
No man. Not even heard of it. Can you give us some details?

Quote:
And yes, another log that showed a glimpse of La Joconde. Enough written about her already
What is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
This proves two things

1. Mummy will remain a mummy, be it in India or Europe, She does not want the child to suffer. That is indeed a very nice gesture.

2. Husband is always worrying about his wife going for shopping. He is uncertain about the consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Chetan - I hope it was Indian groceries & don't tell me you'd planned to stay around Indian grocery stores.
As I had mentioned earlier, we used to buy things like vegetables, fruits ... etc. Any super market was OK for that.

I definitely planned accomodation in such a way that it was close to Bus stop / Railway station, Super market .... etc.
Old 20th July 2010, 17:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Also, did you do the Werfen Ice caves in Austria? I ask because I lost the pics of the ice caves, along with my camera , on a ICE near Berlin and I wish I could see some snaps of that place again!
ICE Cave

Old 20th July 2010, 17:38   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
No man. Not even heard of it. Can you give us some details?
The Ice caves at Werfen are the world's largest system of ice caves; some 42 kms long as I remember. You can take a guided tour of about an hour inside the caves. Werfen is about an 45 mins by train from Salzburg.

Check out Pawan's pics: they offer only a glimpse of the ice caves' incredible beauty. I recommend them as among the top 5 must visit sites if anyone's going to Europe!

@ Pawan: thanks mate. do you have a pic of the valley view from just outside the caves?
Old 20th July 2010, 18:22   #50
BHPian

OT: @niranjanrvce: PM me your email id, I will send you the photos of ICE Cave and surrounding.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:30   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The french hate the English. Hence they must have thought another set of tourist from UK speaking in English when they saw you.
I stayed in France for 2 years, and based on my experience it's not that the French hate English (maybe some older people do). Most of the time, it's just that they are not confident in their English language skills. When I was there, wherever I went, I used to try and get things done talking in English - because my French was non-existent. Same with them, they can't speak fluently in English, so they try to get you to speak French.
Old 20th July 2010, 18:39   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi Chetan

i think, you have taken your daughter at the right age on this Europe trip

your planning seems to be ful of wonders. appears to be a dream holiday

5 stars from me too..
Chetan, as Star mentioned, even I had the same feeling. Even I am waiting for that moment! Very nice.

5 stars from my side.
Old 20th July 2010, 19:04   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirajbose View Post
Europe is a place I definitely want to visit before I am too old. The variety in culture and architecture is enormous - so little distances yet so many different things to see. I lived in the US for three years, but apart from different Malls and places to eat, seldom saw any "culture" - if you know what I mean.

I will stay glued to the TL. Thanks for sharing!
Every tried camping & trekking in the US ? You can experience US culture there by interacting with locals who come to camp as families - all 3 generations !

NPS Campgrounds are the best

Total investment upfront is $100 - go to Walmart - buy tent, sleeping bags, basic grilling utensils, some propane cylinders, torches etc & ur set
Buy coal / wood nearer to your trip

Reserve online at NPS sites ( $5 - $25 per night) for a tent spot - do some trekking - barbeque at night - interact with the "locals" & experience US culture !
paharino1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2010, 19:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

How did you home down to your accommodation? Internet search? I mean you seem to have the dream accommodation. How much did this apartment in Paris cost you?

Did they allow camera in the museum? I am surprised.

You have not shared the VISA costs. How much did it cost you?

Rated 5*.
Old 20th July 2010, 20:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
For me, a holiday is a change. It does not mean relaxation. I believe in doing something different for atleast 3 weeks in a year. This will recharge batteries and give our body and mind, new found energy. At the end of the holiday, we will be charged up and raring to go!!
Hi Chetan,

Agree to your point 100%. In todays hectic schedules and extended work hours it really recharge our batteries, and more so if somebody is staying outside hometown.

Manage to go through this link today and I am impressed to say the least with your planning/arrangements and attention to details.

Sometimes we go through travel agents to make life easier in tours of unknown places and more so in other countries because of language, food etc. But agree with you when you said that travelling on our own has a different charm and one can plan and travel at their own pace and not to mention interacting with locals, these are small memories that stays with us for many many years - just like the lady helping you with your daughter`s jacket, am sure you`ll remember this gesture for quite sometime.

Reading this thread of yours encouraged me to seriously start planning for a trip like this at least for a shorter duration before its too late.

Also, as somebody already requested, if you could please put a one liner in your pics for your reader`s benefit like me.

Would be following your thread, rated it 5*, brilliant man!
Old 20th July 2010, 22:16   #56
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I stayed in France for 2 years, and based on my experience it's not that the French hate English (maybe some older people do). Most of the time, it's just that they are not confident in their English language skills. When I was there, wherever I went, I used to try and get things done talking in English - because my French was non-existent. Same with them, they can't speak fluently in English, so they try to get you to speak French.
Well, they don't make it that very apparent. The hatred is mutual. They love taking swipes at each other. Actually, no one likes the English. The welsh, the scottish, and the Irish.
The English too take their swipes at the french. It's a civilised subliminal level hatred they have. There's been wars between those countries. French take pride in being the earliest democrazy and used to look down on a country led by a woman!
Guess what the English author Rudyard Kipling named the monkey in the Jungle book? King Louis.

@CBG. La Joconde is how the french call Mona Lisa.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

@Chetan - Pls continue & keep them coming, would like to read & see the pictures on your trip.

Sorry for a little OT - @Pawan, I see you're located in Germany; would love to see Germany & its streets including Autobahn; can you start a thread in & around Germany, if its not too much asking?
Old 20th July 2010, 22:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
How did you home down to your accommodation? Internet search? I mean you seem to have the dream accommodation. How much did this apartment in Paris cost you?

Did they allow camera in the museum? I am surprised.

You have not shared the VISA costs. How much did it cost you?

Rated 5*.
It was Internet search. This was a very good apartment in terms of proximity to every thing.

It costed us about 450 euros for 5 days: Paris Self Catering Apartments | Cheap Apartments in Paris | Holiday Rentals

Yes. They allow camera inside the Museum.

Schengen VISA costs about 3.8K per head. Current price may be different. Details are on the VFS Global site.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Hi Chetan,

Agree to your point 100%. In todays hectic schedules and extended work hours it really recharge our batteries, and more so if somebody is staying outside hometown.

Manage to go through this link today and I am impressed to say the least with your planning/arrangements and attention to details.

Sometimes we go through travel agents to make life easier in tours of unknown places and more so in other countries because of language, food etc. But agree with you when you said that travelling on our own has a different charm and one can plan and travel at their own pace and not to mention interacting with locals, these are small memories that stays with us for many many years - just like the lady helping you with your daughter`s jacket, am sure you`ll remember this gesture for quite sometime.

Reading this thread of yours encouraged me to seriously start planning for a trip like this at least for a shorter duration before its too late.

Also, as somebody already requested, if you could please put a one liner in your pics for your reader`s benefit like me.

Would be following your thread, rated it 5*, brilliant man!
Thanks AvonA7!

In fact, it was you who prompted me to start a thread on Travel log!

I will definitely add a one liner to the pics. Tell me if you want me to repost all of them. Seriously. I can do it if it helps.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 20th July 2010 at 22:53.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:31   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I will definitely add a one liner to the pics. Tell me if you want me to repost all of them. Seriously. I can do it if it helps.
Thats nice of you, but thats not needed as many of your pictures are already discussed by others as to where/what it is. I am sure many more pics and details about your tour would follow, so a brief description of the subject in the pics would be good.

Last edited by AvonA7 : 20th July 2010 at 23:33.
Old 20th July 2010, 23:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
And yes, another log that showed a glimpse of La Joconde. Enough written about her already
What is this?
La Jaconda is the star attraction of Louvre, we know her as Mona Lisa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
Also if you are going through the agents, they will take you through the most touristy places, but if you plan yourself, you may discover (during the planning stage) more places which you may not want to miss. Just to give an example, most of the tour operators will include only Istanbul in Turkey, but they may not include Pamukkale - but once I have seen the picture of this place (in one of the mail forwards), it is in the 'to do' list.

Last edited by arindamray : 21st July 2010 at 00:12.

Most Viewed