Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 14:37   #106
Senior - BHPian

Once Eurail pass was issued, we consolidated on our train journeys. There were last minute changes mainly due to weather. All this can be done before the start of the journey. Train timings are on the dot. We could catch connecting trains with a gap of 5 mins!

My UK travel details are misplaced. I will upload once I find it, in a couple of days.

Europe on a Budget - 5 weeks trip with family on a backpack!-1.jpg

Europe on a Budget - 5 weeks trip with family on a backpack!-2.jpg

Europe on a Budget - 5 weeks trip with family on a backpack!-3.gif

Europe on a Budget - 5 weeks trip with family on a backpack!-4.gif

Europe on a Budget - 5 weeks trip with family on a backpack!-5.gif

Last edited by Chethan B G : 12th August 2010 at 14:39.
Old 12th August 2010, 14:38   #107
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info @MX6 & @Chetan.
That GMT is fantastic information @MX6; I hope they switch ON/OFF during sunset/sunrise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6
observatory in to london city that co-incides with the prime meridian
Was that co-incide a coincidence too or purposefully built?

PS - You continue to surprise me, atleast with one post everyday & sometimes you make me like Shankar Mahadevan
Old 12th August 2010, 15:41   #108
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Thanks for the info @MX6 & @Chetan.
That GMT is fantastic information @MX6; I hope they switch ON/OFF during sunset/sunrise.

Was that co-incide a coincidence too or purposefully built?

PS - You continue to surprise me, atleast with one post everyday & sometimes you make me like Shankar Mahadevan
It was purposefully built to show the prime meridian. My wife stood there on the line marked on the ground and I took a photo commenting that she's got a foot each on either half of the globe.

We also took a printout from that automated machine which records the time and date you visited that place and gives as a ceritificate for a trifle amount.

PS is that Shankar Mahadevan just to quote you are breathless or is it because of my tryst with Shankar and Mahadevan?
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2011, 23:46   #109
Senior - BHPian

Re: Europe on a Budget - 5 weeks trip with family on a backpack!

Hi!

Another trip on Budget to Europe..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-backpack.html
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:12   #110
BHPian

I am planning to travel Europe during June. What is the best website to book the tickets from. I see a ton of these. Don't they have an official website like the irctc.co.in we have?
Old 3rd March 2012, 07:18   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
I am planning to travel Europe during June. What is the best website to book the tickets from. I see a ton of these. Don't they have an official website like the irctc.co.in we have?
What Tickets do you mean?

If it is Air-Ticket - Book it from Airlines official website.
If it is Eu-rail Pass - www.eurail.com
If it is Accommodation - Please check my threads.
If it is Local transport - Each city will have it's own official website.
If it is for the Attractions - It's official website.

Happy planning!!
Old 3rd March 2012, 08:09   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

Happy planning!!
My bad. I totally missed specifying that I was looking for rail passes. Actually I am in this huge dilemma of whether to rent a car or take train to visit places there. I will be visiting for around 11 days with my wife.
Old 3rd March 2012, 11:55   #113
BHPian

Quote:

Happy planning!!
Thanks Chethan,
Really cannot figure out as why i saw your T-Log this late in the day?? I too plan all our jaunts-within and out of the Country-no agency for us. This log along with Ramky's is the blue print for us, though my planning for our Europe sojourn started way back in Nov 11 to celebrate our 30th Wedding anniversary in May this year. All tickets are booked including the accommodation! UK visa has also been stamped and now the PP are with the Austrian Embassy for the Schenghen Visas.
A little more on your UK trip. Are you posting the break up of your costs-the major ones-one can use it as a template.
Thank you.
Old 4th March 2012, 09:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad. I totally missed specifying that I was looking for rail passes. Actually I am in this huge dilemma of whether to rent a car or take train to visit places there. I will be visiting for around 11 days with my wife.
Hi Animesh,

Wish you a very happy trip.

If you have experience driving left hand, and also with traffic rules - you can rent a car. Otherwise, when you are on a short visit, driving itself becomes a burden...

When we plan a visit to Europe for 11 days, we will be able to cover only cities - Mainly. For this, train is ideal. A car will be good if you have cross country trips in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Thanks Chethan,
A little more on your UK trip. Are you posting the break up of your costs-the major ones-one can use it as a template.
Thank you.
Sir, congratulations on your 30th marriage anniversary!! I myself have crossed 16 years - Still a long way to go!!

As far as your question is concerned, please refer to my thread mentioned below. Hope this answers your question...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-backpack.html

Last edited by Chethan B G : 4th March 2012 at 09:28.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 09:37   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Animesh,

Wish you a very happy trip.

If you have experience driving left hand, and also with traffic rules - you can rent a car. Otherwise, when you are on a short visit, driving itself becomes a burden...

When we plan a visit to Europe for 11 days, we will be able to cover only cities - Mainly. For this, train is ideal. A car will be good if you have cross country trips in mind...
Hi Chethan, I do have decent experience driving left hand, so that isn't a problem one bit.

I have devised some sort of a travel route (Refer: Vienna, Austria to Vienna, Austria - Google Maps). And yes it does involve cities primarily. Inputs on this would be highly appreciated. I am also attaching an XL File (Day wise itinerary: Europe - Multiple countries.xlsx) here.

Europe on a Budget - 5 weeks trip with family on a backpack!-europe-multiple-countries.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Thanks Chethan,
Really cannot figure out as why i saw your T-Log this late in the day?? I too plan all our jaunts-within and out of the Country-no agency for us. This log along with Ramky's is the blue print for us, though my planning for our Europe sojourn started way back in Nov 11 to celebrate our 30th Wedding anniversary in May this year. All tickets are booked including the accommodation! UK visa has also been stamped and now the PP are with the Austrian Embassy for the Schenghen Visas.
Judemayne: Are you traveling by Car or by Train? Please share the Rail Route map along with costs involved in traveling in case you are traveling by Train.

Last edited by Animesh : 4th March 2012 at 09:41. Reason: Including a post for Judemayne.
Old 4th March 2012, 13:45   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Chethan, I do have decent experience driving left hand, so that isn't a problem one bit. Even then, your itinerary tells that you are spending a lot of time traveling. It looks like you have taken a couple of brakes just to avoid long journeys. OR am I wrong?

I have devised some sort of a travel route (Refer: Vienna, Austria to Vienna, Austria - Google Maps). And yes it does involve cities primarily. Inputs on this would be highly appreciated. I am also attaching an XL File (Day wise itinerary: Attachment 896744) here.
Hi Animesh,

Can you share a bit of your background?

Have you visited Europe before and if so, where?
You have excluded important places like Florence, Black forest area, Salzburg etc... Any specific reason?

Please let me understand your interest and requirement. I will definitely pitch in wherever I can..

Also, please go through this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-backpack.html

Last edited by Chethan B G : 4th March 2012 at 13:52.
Old 4th March 2012, 15:15   #117
BHPian

@Chetan: This is a fantastic trip report. I have been wanting to do Europe but time and money is still not in place. Keeping my daughter's schooling in mind, I am gunning for a long trip to Europe 3 years from now.

Your planning and detailed logs show how meticulous you are. Great effort - will stay glued on your threads. I've rated this a 5-star!

Last edited by chetan_l : 4th March 2012 at 15:15. Reason: Added text
chetan_l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 22:56   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Animesh,

Can you share a bit of your background?

Have you visited Europe before and if so, where?
You have excluded important places like Florence, Black forest area, Salzburg etc... Any specific reason?

Please let me understand your interest and requirement. I will definitely pitch in wherever I can..

Also, please go through this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-backpack.html
Thank you so much for all your inputs here. I haven't visited Europe before, but have done plenty of driving in US.

Reason why I am excluding Florence is because of the limited number of days that I have in my hand. Going to a little southern

(I am trying to travel only North Italy) of where I am traveling would mean that it will take longer to get back to Vienna.

My constraints are that I cannot leave Vienna before 18th night or 19th morning. Further, I HAVE TO catch a flight back to

Bombay from Vienna on 30th (thus I am trying to reach Vienna back on 29th night). Thus, I am not inculding Florence or Black Forest in the plan. This would mean driving a little too off that circle. Now Salzburg is a place that I would want to visit, however my wife would already have seen it pretty well. She is going to Austria and Bosnia & Herzegovina for a month before I join her there.

I also have an alternate plan of traveling in Italy (in that case my wife and I will fly to Milan from Vienna), but from whatever inference I can draw from various posts, Italy can be better traveled in a Train. However, the whole logistics of traveling Italy has left me confused (first those passes and then the actual reservations. I just find irctc.co.in so easy to understand. Am I getting old too fast?) and moreover does Train make economic sense at all?
Old 6th March 2012, 13:01   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Chethan, I do have decent experience driving left hand, so that isn't a problem one bit.

Judemayne: Are you traveling by Car or by Train? Please share the Rail Route map along with costs involved in traveling in case you are traveling by Train.
Dear Animesh,

travelling by car in Scotland. Driving to Germany from Salzburg-day trip. Then driving from Salzburg to Vienna-via-still to decide-trying the Hallstatt route if I can do it in a day-sightseeing included. Wanted to drive from Toulouse to Lourdes (Italy) lets see. Rest flying by budget airlines-Ryan air, Easy Jet and Air Berlin-worked out pretty decent. Will post all details once I receive my PP from the Austrian Embassy-UK Visa already stamped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks