Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 14:11   #46
BHPian

@ Bigzero,
I actually got to see those three elephants at the Nadugani ghats.
We were going to Guruvayur and somewhere towards the end of the ghats, stopped for a pee-break. Thats when my father spotted the three just below the pavement we where standing on. Downhill, we updated the cops about the spotting. Thats when they told us about the killing last week.
On our way back, we decided to take the Guruvayur-Kozhikode-Thamaraserry route though.
Old 10th August 2010, 14:14   #47
BHPian

Awesome pictures Big zero. This indeed made me proud that i'm a mallu.ur narration can easily make some of the mallus abroad nostalgic..
Old 10th August 2010, 14:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Awesome pictures Big zero. This indeed made me proud that i'm a mallu.ur narration can easily make some of the mallus abroad nostalgic..
+1, rightly said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post

KP to Mohanlal - "Aa cheriya screwdriver edutho" (Give me the small screwdriver!). KP requires the smallest of the small screwdriver to repair the road roller....

Mohanlal to KP - "Mazhakkalam mumbu cheri avoo" (Will it be ready before the rains?). Need I say anything more?
LOL!, which movie was this, can't remember its name.

@Bigzero, you are actually a Bighero, very good write up and pics. I just loved the winding roads shown in the pics.

Spike
Old 10th August 2010, 14:50   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How did I miss this thread?
Fantastic pictures and an off-beat route.
Off beat? You bet! I found this to be the most beautiful entry to Kerala! Any one who wants to go to Guruvayur/Trichur
from Bangalore, should try this route. After Gudalur, the drive is so thrilling, that you dont just want to stop!

On my drive back from GVR, I started pretty late (9AM). I was getting ravenous, and hence had to make it to Bandipur in time, lest I could get some lunch! Also since wife and baby were nicely asleep (they dont know what they missed), I thought I could cover the maximum. In doing that I realized I had gone through the one of best routes (Melatoor-Nilambur-Gudalur). To say it was green is an understatement (thats true anyway for any place in Kerala). This was ethereal green and butter of a road!
Old 11th August 2010, 14:13   #50
BHPian

Kodhee pidipikkale mone BigZero. Actually, I am planning to put my car in Kozhikkode and travel by bus into Kannur thru Irrity, then pick the car, attend a wedding in Idukki and then meet a friend at Kollam for an athyavashyam kariyam and then get out of Parasala before driving my car back to Chennai. And the whole thing was "just bringing my car back to Chennai"
Old 11th August 2010, 17:17   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the most amazing picture blog seen in a long time. These pictures just go ahead and re-emphasize the beauty of Kerala.

Your very lucky to be driving through the interiors of Kerala in the monsoon to enjoy its true beauty.

Thanks for sharing these pictures.
Old 11th August 2010, 22:57   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
Great snaps of the school! Nothing like, going back to have a view to the place where it all started.
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
I studied in a chain of govt schools. After about a gap of about 7-8 years I went back to one of them.
The admin guys were starring at me. But then there came the school principal, who in my times was the maths teacher.
He swept me off my feat, showed me the whole school, and all the guys were aghast as to who was I,
being a given a VIP treatment! We had tea and then since he had class and other meetings, I had to leave.
But nothing like that feeling!
That was nice! I wish I had done that too -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316

You have narrated this TL in such a good manner that I got so nostalgic after watching your School photos even though I have never been to Nilambur. The school reminded me of my school days in a small town in Rajasthan called Nasirabad. What a contrast, but the emotions remain the same. Thanks for sharing the awesome pics and narration, which made me feel that I was travelling with you.
Thanks! yeah nostalgia is a very strong thing..

Quote:
PS - the road roller reminded me of a Mohanlal's movie. (I think Priyadarshan has remade it in Hindi). The machine is broken down and Mohanlal has to repair it. He calls the mechanic - Kudiravattom Pappu. KP gets going on the repair, and Mohanlal is anxious to get it done fast. Two lines from this scene always brings a smile to our faces -

KP to Mohanlal - "Aa cheriya screwdriver edutho" (Give me the small screwdriver!). KP requires the smallest of the small screwdriver to repair the road roller....

Mohanlal to KP - "Mazhakkalam mumbu cheri avoo" (Will it be ready before the rains?). Need I say anything more?
Ha ha! yes.

"Thamarassery Churam...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
@ Bigzero,
I actually got to see those three elephants at the Nadugani ghats.
We were going to Guruvayur and somewhere towards the end of the ghats, stopped for a pee-break. Thats when my father spotted the three just below the pavement we where standing on. Downhill, we updated the cops about the spotting. Thats when they told us about the killing last week.
Wow! so my cousins were right after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Thanks! its easy to write about something so close to ones heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
LOL!, which movie was this, can't remember its name.
Vellanakalude Nadu, now remade as Khatta Meetha starring Akshay Kumar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

@Bigzero, you are actually a Bighero, very good write up and pics. I just loved the winding roads shown in the pics.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Any one who wants to go to Guruvayur/Trichur
from Bangalore, should try this route. After Gudalur, the drive is so thrilling, that you dont just want to stop!
I agree! the road quality is excellent. even after the rains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Kodhee pidipikkale mone BigZero. Actually, I am planning to put my car in Kozhikkode and travel by bus into Kannur thru Irrity, then pick the car, attend a wedding in Idukki and then meet a friend at Kollam for an athyavashyam kariyam and then get out of Parasala before driving my car back to Chennai. And the whole thing was "just bringing my car back to Chennai"
Ha ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
One of the most amazing picture blog seen in a long time. These pictures just go ahead and re-emphasize the beauty of Kerala.

Your very lucky to be driving through the interiors of Kerala in the monsoon to enjoy its true beauty.

Thanks for sharing these pictures.
Thanks, and yes I have been lucky. The itch to go to Kerala starts once the rainy season sets in. I usually find some excuse to go there during this time. Didnt miss it this time too!

By the way, I have some more pictures of the Gudalur-Mysore stretch coming up - Couldnt post it in the last week as I was traveling. Will do in a day.

Thanks again, everyone!

Last edited by Bigzero : 11th August 2010 at 22:59.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:28   #53
BHPian

How come I missed this thread!! I line near ottappalam and Chinakkathoor temple is where I used to go regularly. Thanks for the snaps and nice narration.

With thanks and regards
Old 19th August 2010, 23:51   #54
BHPian

OK, I missed adding the final set to this thread - here are some pictures taken between Gudalur and Mysore..

Approaching Gudalur town
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-301.jpg

Between Gudalur and Theppekadu
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-305.jpg

The road through the Mudumalai Sanctuary - between Gudalur and Theppekadu
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-307.jpg

One of the many reasonably well marked and mild humps on the way
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-308.jpg

A bridge on the way
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-309.jpg

Wonder what happened to those trees?
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-314.jpg

Aha, who is this!
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-316.jpg

Just another day in office for these folks
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-319.jpg

The signpost at Theppekkadu
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-326.jpg

Theppekkadu - near Sylvan lodge, TTDC hotels etc
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-327.jpg

Moving on, towards Bandipur
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-344.jpg

The only wildlife we saw on the way!
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-346.jpg

Bandipur Sanctuary office
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-353.jpg

a mini-hairpin on the way
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-354.jpg

The road opens up after Bandipur..
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-361.jpg

No pictures from this point till I reached Bangalore-- however, this board caught my attention on the Mysore-Blr route. A sure challenge for Mallus. I believe the Tamil is also messed up. No idea about the Kannada part! And they had to leave one extra E for the english part too..
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-366.jpg
Old 20th August 2010, 05:05   #55
BHPian

The Na becoming Tha is ok, since someone would have written it on a piece of paper and the painter duplicates it on the board, but the Nna for the Aa and the Na for the Ba!!! You are right, a person who cannot read English might struggle to find out what the board means but for the pictures especially the bottom one

Thanks BigZero, nice pics. Happy Onam and as mentioned in an other thread lots of activity can be expected on this road section, Walayar, Munnar sections till Eid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks