Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2010, 19:05   #16

Really beautiful area. I am new to Pune area and I am discovering the beauty of this place during the rains.
But is it safe to visit these areas only with wifey? Because from the snaps, its clear the area is is very sparsely populated. If its safe, then I am definitely going for a drive with my wife. it will make a perfect romantic monsoon drive
Old 27th July 2010, 21:53   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep joshi View Post
No landslide on Saturday , but last 2 days its raining heavily.
On saturday, it was not that much of rain in varandha.
Most important caution I think is , you have to cross this ghats , both varandha and tahimini in sunlight only.
At night it is risky for a family to cross since visibility is poor due to fog and rain and there is hardly any traffic at night.
I did varandha in the dead of the night. People still have a laugh talking about it. And AshishPallod has strictly told me to be very careful in uncharted areas of Maharashtra in the night. But then Varandha and Tamhini are ok in the night. As long as you don't have landslides. But then landslides can happen anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Awesome pics mate. Do you anticipate any problem of land slides? It has been pouring down real bad of late. Also, is it safe for a couple to go around?
As AshishPallod states, this area is prone to landslides. But we didn't face any issues. It is safe for couple to go around. Just watch out for drunk youngsters who may cause trouble and snakes. Don't walk on slippery rocks or get in to lakes. Never know what lies where. And never venture far from the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goWaggy View Post
Really beautiful area. I am new to Pune area and I am discovering the beauty of this place during the rains.
But is it safe to visit these areas only with wifey? Because from the snaps, its clear the area is is very sparsely populated. If its safe, then I am definitely going for a drive with my wife. it will make a perfect romantic monsoon drive
Check out Magnificent Maharashtra log as well. There's too many places around here.
It's perfectly safe to visit with family. read above for what to take care. Also ensure that you have emergency numbers handy. Ensure the car is in good condition.

It's a good practice to check with people like AshishPallod and then local newspaper, news channel to get the latest updates.
Old 27th July 2010, 22:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Check out Magnificent Maharashtra log as well. There's too many places around here.
It's perfectly safe to visit with family. read above for what to take care. Also ensure that you have emergency numbers handy. Ensure the car is in good condition.

It's a good practice to check with people like AshishPallod and then local newspaper, news channel to get the latest updates.
I have read your entire Magnificent Maharashtra log. Infact I am kind of addicted to team bhp travelogues. I always have a window with T-BHP open when in office
Your Maharashtra travelogue gave me lots of good ideas for trips. I am planning on going to Bandhardhara and staying in MTDC for a weekend before this monsoon ends.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But then Varandha and Tamhini are ok in the night.
Nope,
Varandha and tamhini are not safe during night.

why?

read on...

1] There is hardly any traffic during day time, during night, its almost nil.

2]For varandha, after bhor to mahad, this 70 km stretch is lonely, do not have any petrol pump, no puncturewalla, weak/ no mobile signal, no village after hirdoshi to bijwadi.

3] If determined, anyone can easily rob anyone on this stretch.

4]I will quote two incident happened last year.

a] currier service van was looted in varandha ghat at 9pm.

b]Many of you may be aware about this story---
There is forest check post immediately after varandha ghat toward mahad road.
One night, time 11 pm, one clever forest officer was on duty at that post.
Entire varandha ghat with three hairpin bends can be seen from this post.
He saw one vehicle's headlights in the ghat coming downward.
After 30 min, still that vehicle did not cross that check post, the officer on duty became curious.
He stopped all traffic leading to varandha ghat at check post and called cops.
Cops went to ghat in private vehicle and found one indica stopped at hairpin bend.
Checked that car and found that 5 robbers are waiting there for their next hunt with all weapons.

More or less, same is true for tamhini ghat.
1] There is no petrol pump after poud, no puncturewalla after male till nizampur or kolad.
2] weak/no mobile signal.
3] very less trafffic in night time.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 28th July 2010 at 11:11.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Nope,
Varandha and tamhini are not safe during night.

why?

read on...

1] There is hardly any traffic during day time, during night, its almost nil.

2]For varandha, after bhor to mahad, this 70 km stretch is lonely, do not have any petrol pump, no puncturewalla, weak/ no mobile signal, no village after hirdoshi to bijwadi.

3] If determined, anyone can easily rob anyone on this stretch.

4]I will quote two incident happened last year.

a] currier service van was looted in varandha ghat at 9pm.

b]Many of you may be aware about this story---
There is forest check post immediately after varandha ghat toward mahad road.
One night, time 11 pm, one clever forest officer was on duty at that post.
Entire varandha ghat with three hairpin bends can be seen from this post.
He saw one vehicle's headlights in the ghat coming downward.
After 30 min, still that vehicle did not cross that check post, the officer on duty became curious.
He stopped all traffic leading to varandha ghat at check post and called cops.
Cops went to ghat in private vehicle and found one indica stopped at hairpin bend.
Checked that car and found that 5 robbers are waiting there for their next hunt with all weapons.

More or less, same is true for tamhini ghat.
1] There is no petrol pump after poud, no puncturewalla after male till nizampur or kolad.
2] weak/no mobile signal.
3] very less trafffic in night time.
True... It is a dangerous patch and becomes more dangerous with rain pouring in that area..
Old 28th July 2010, 12:27   #21
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@AP saab. That way, even e-way is not safe sometimes. One never knows when a set of robbers can keep stones on the stretch to force you stop and rob you. There's been loads of instances where people tried asking for lift. Also, we have one T-BHPian who lost his car because his drive tried giving lift to 4 "passengers".
And Bangalore isn't safe. There's a thread about mugging. And this is increasing.
You don't have signals in patches of NH63 as well. When I used to traverse this area regularly 1 year back (almost every alternate weekend) in a volvo bus I used to lose signal between Ankola and Yellapura.
As long as the gap between rich and poor increase, we are going to have these problems.
Then how does one traverse this area? My suggestion would be to wait at a safe looking place before the ghat section for a vehicle or two to turn up. I've noticed MH state govt buses traversing varandha in the dead of the night. So best is to form a convoy or keep a steady distance before or after the bus.

But yes, I do accept the fact that remote places do make the robbers move around more boldly.
Old 28th July 2010, 12:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That way, even e-way is not safe sometimes.

@MX6,

remember, i requested you not to be adventurous on unknown roads in the night.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 28th July 2010 at 12:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks