Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:34   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
LOL - The national bird did not get a hair cut but it was case of mistaken sex identity. She rules the roost while He is the jester with fancy wings to impress her with courtship dance. Get it? They go by names Peahen and Peacock.
I thought so too. But the forest guide was insisting it is not a peahen but a peacock and its lack of feathers is due to the fact that it is haircut season - monsoon it sheds its feathers and grows new ones. Having said that, i am not sure. I am not an ornithologies
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:43   #107
BHPian

Sorry missed the numbers here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post

Forest Guide Raju (Ranjan) - 09579740274/09850584981

Or Dashrath - 09021892804
Old 3rd August 2010, 18:25   #108
MX6
Senior - BHPian

That is indeed a peacock that's shed it's plumes. Off late, there's been rampant poaching of our national bird, both for its plumes and meat. After years we'll have no more national animal or bird left.
We'll have to re-write them as below.
National Animal - Indian Male of species homo sapiens
National Bird - Indian female of species homo sapiens

I believe the TN govt has put a ban on sale of the peacock feathers.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:10   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

MX6, that is very bad news. I'm afraid peacock feathers get sold worldwide.

Does a peacock shed its entire tail? Surely it takes quite a while to grow those amazing feathers?

Peacocks... we all know what they look like, we've all seen them, and we're still pretty impressed. Just imagine how we would feel if this bird had just been discovered, and we'd never seen it before! We get to see some incredible things on TV nature programs, but I do not believe that anything actually beats the peacock in stunning beauty and effect
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:36   #110
Senior - BHPian

Extreme Torque,

The pic. of the spotted deer stag was shot by me at Nagarahole, The distance between me and the deer stag is as same or more, as your pic., the one you posted earlier on this page 'Bison at a distance'.

This stag was on high alert, yet asserting command over his territory by standing right in the middle of the drive, flaunting his belligerent stance. The distance was about 600 feet. I could get it so clear because with me was a Canon 400mm L IS USM zoom (640mm on my camera's 1.6 crop factor 20D body). However it moved away into the dense foliage as our vehicle proceeded towards him.

These long reach lenses are extremely valuable when shooting wildlife for, clarity, saturation and candid shots....we get close to the animal through the lens without encroaching into its comfort zone or alarming it.

A demo from Bandipur, shot through 35mm.
(Notice on extreme left, center corner the man bathing an elephant)
Attachment 398733
From the same distance through a 400mm.
Attachment 398734

Now, isn't that reach?

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 3rd August 2010 at 19:51.
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:50   #111
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Thad.
This news would make happy reading.

http://moef.nic.in/downloads/public-...eacock_ban.pdf

I request members to spread this news around. Let's do our bit but not purchasing artwork or any other thing made of peacock feathers.
If anyone wants to collect peacock feathers, please go to a nearby forest and pick up the fallen feathers yourself.

When we'd been to some temple in TN, we still saw people selling peacock feathers. They claimed that it was fallen plumage and didn't involve any killing. But I refused to entertain them.

Look at another news as well.
http://delhigreens.com/2010/06/29/fe...cock-feathers/

These things are happening in many places. The only way we can put a stop to this is by refusing to buy. Let the demand become zero. The feathers look beautiful in only one place. On the bird when they dance.

Last edited by MX6 : 3rd August 2010 at 19:52.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

A demo from Bandipur, shot through 35mm lens. (Notice on extreme left, center corner a man bathing an elephant calf)
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-dsc_6794.jpg
Shot from the same distance through a 400mm lens(640mm).
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-img_2926.jpg

Now, isn't that reach?

Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 3rd August 2010 at 20:04.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:14   #113
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Fazal

It is. I've set my eyes on the 150 - 500 mm sigma hsm lens with OS for my pentax. But it's going to be a year's savings to pocket that one. If you keep posting such pictures, I will have no option than to "abuse" you Fazal.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:24   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@Fazal

It is. I've set my eyes on the 150 - 500 mm sigma hsm lens with OS for my pentax. But it's going to be a year's savings to pocket that one. If you keep posting such pictures, I will have no option than to "abuse" you Fazal.
Oh yes! its worth it, just go for it and you wont regret it, The advantage of reach in wildlife photography has no parallel.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:19   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
These things are happening in many places. The only way we can put a stop to this is by refusing to buy. Let the demand become zero. The feathers look beautiful in only one place. On the bird when they dance.
Yes, I agree. It is one thing to ban the hunting, and another to enforce it --- as we on an Indian motoring forum know very well.

Fazal, that's a great pic. Does your lens/camera have image stabilisation? These days, I can barely take wide-angle pics without it.

Only consumer level, nothing like an SLR, but I love my 12* lens for nature photography, and that is 5-yr old technology, far exceeded now. I sometimes imagine, though, the smudges I'd be producing with a 400mm lens on my old 35mm Olympus film camera, which, of course, was made before IS was even a dream!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 3rd August 2010 at 21:24.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:27   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Apologies - Relooked at the picture it is indeed a "tail"less peacock. The "kalgi" on top of head confirms that it is a cock and not a hen.

+1 to the idea that skins/feathers look best on the owners.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:32   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
A demo from Bandipur, shot through 35mm lens. (Notice on extreme left, center corner a man bathing an elephant calf)
Shot from the same distance through a 400mm lens(640mm).

Now, isn't that reach?

Regards,
All i can say is WOW! That is serious photograpy and gives me all the more reason to speed up my SLR buying timeline.
@MX6, well said. Strain the demand and automatically strangle the supply.

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 3rd August 2010 at 22:33.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:48   #118
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
@Thad.
This news would make happy reading.

http://moef.nic.in/downloads/public-...eacock_ban.pdf

I request members to spread this news around. Let's do our bit but not purchasing artwork or any other thing made of peacock feathers.
If anyone wants to collect peacock feathers, please go to a nearby forest and pick up the fallen feathers yourself.

When we'd been to some temple in TN, we still saw people selling peacock feathers. They claimed that it was fallen plumage and didn't involve any killing. But I refused to entertain them.

Look at another news as well.
:: Delhi Greens :: Feathers Sold Openly Even as MoEF Proposes Ban on Trade of Peacock Feathers

+1 to that. Also, the same logic should go into tigers, rhinos, leopards, etc. As a well informed community, we should try and educate others surrounding us. I know this is tough but at least we can try.

I am doing my best to spread these awareness among my known circle. Believe me, it is much difficult than I thought. I am rather frustrated that given the situation, will I ever make my son see any wildlife in it's natural surroundings. Feels sad but true.

Let's start it guys, from here, from TBHP. (Sorry, if I sound too sensitive or rather in-sensitive because I am pitching for soundless).

Last edited by Joy : 3rd August 2010 at 23:04.
Old 3rd August 2010, 23:44   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

But if I don't take my powdered rhino horn before bed!

Errr... Joking of course. No problem with not touching any of the animal products you mention, and would never buy peacock feather. No tiger teeth around the neck, either.
Old 4th August 2010, 11:53   #120
BHPian

Some assorted pics from the sunday drive

Excellent narrative all around.
Thank you everybody for appreciating the images.
Arun you surely need a dslr man !!

Here are 2 more good shots from that day :

Tiger and woods
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-1.jpg

Deer low level shot (this was around the cubs which most of the vehicles missed)
‘THE COLD STARE’ - I always heard about it, read about it. Now I know it - up close-2.jpg

And as Fazal saab says, I will be more than glad to help anyone plan a trip to any of these places.
We are planning to hold a mini workshop on the basics of wildlife photography apart from doing the regular drives inside the forest on the Independence day weekend. A couple of friends from hyderabad and other places are attending it.
Let me know if any of the team members want to be a part of it.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 4th August 2010 at 12:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks