Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 11:49   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
View from the sea (can you identify the Le cafe there?)
Yes the white building. They have now added another storey to it. Have sat there all night eating ice creams and brownies
Old 17th August 2010, 18:02   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
I'm intrigued by the last photograph. The french drive on the right side of the road in France and all it's colonies. But here I see the car in the left side! Set's me thinking as to why the french drove in the left in their Indian colonies alone?
Is it because other parts of India drove in left side? Possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Yes the white building. They have now added another storey to it. Have sat there all night eating ice creams and brownies
Yes sir. We also spend good amount of time there - seeing the waves breaking into the rocks and gentle sea breeze sweeping in.

On those days it used to serve as the customs office; just next to the jetty, as you can observe.
Old 17th August 2010, 20:44   #123
Team-BHP Support

Nice set of snaps there Arindam.
Old 18th August 2010, 05:51   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Is it because other parts of India drove in left side? Possibly.
lol. It's because the cars were RHD.
Old 18th August 2010, 10:53   #125
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Was reading about the LHD/ RHD. Arindam is right. French drove on the left side in Puducherry because of the British driving in left in rest of India and not because the cars were RHD. French cars were LHD.
Early horsewagons all across the worlds were driving / riding on the left of the road. In 1700s US changed it to right side so that they have better control of the horses as their right hand was free to crack the whip and they held the reins with the left hand. So when vehicles came about the same convention of sides was held.
With UK and it's colonies was driving on the left side of the road, France - rest of europe and it's colonies were driving on the right side of the road.
They made allowances for cross border switching. UK's smaller colonies in Africa drove on the right side of the road so that when they drive in to France they don't need to switch sides and vice-versa. Similarly, French in Pondicherry decided to drive on the left side so that when they drive in to rest of UK territory of India, they didn't have to switch sides.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:06   #126
Senior - BHPian

Arindam, First of all sorry that I saw the travelogue late (been travelling a bit on work).
I went through all the 9 pages now. And it was like Nostalgia for me. I have visited Pondy once in a year when I was in Bangalore. Sad to know about your Mass ordeal. best thing is to search hotel and starting calling them individually.

Your Angel is very beautiful !!

Abhi
Old 21st August 2010, 10:35   #127
BHPian

thanks Abhi.

BTW, I am now at your side of the world in a business trip .
Old 22nd August 2010, 06:04   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks Abhi.

BTW, I am now at your side of the world in a business trip .
Great, PMed you my number. Pls call !!

Abhi
Old 10th October 2011, 15:26   #129
Senior - BHPian

Re: After 10 long years - Mahabalipuram & Pondicherry

Arindhanray!
Great pictures of ester year Pondicherry. The area was under clearing around Aayee mandap is now covered with beautiful plants and play items like swing,sliding,climbing etc. A great nice park for all ages. Unbelievable from the ester years to the present. The park is surrounded by Assembly,Hospital , Police offices etc.
Old 2nd January 2013, 10:43   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Arindam for the fantabulous write up and thanks again for sharing it too. Your photographs have covered the places very much in detail and have given us a virtually visit here. I particularly love all the snaps of Mahabalipuram. Crisp details and the log speaks for itself. The structured and well descriptive snaps gives a streamlined flow to your log and is quite a gripping read.

I am planning a visit to Pondicherry this weekend. I am a bit tight by time frames. Could you suggest me the places which falls in the "SHOULD NOT MISS" category?

Also, can anyone give some feed back about Chunnambar back waters??
Old 10th January 2013, 21:21   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushmenon View Post
Thanks Arindam for the fantabulous write up and thanks again for sharing it too. Your photographs have covered the places very much in detail and have given us a virtually visit here. I particularly love all the snaps of Mahabalipuram. Crisp details and the log speaks for itself. The structured and well descriptive snaps gives a streamlined flow to your log and is quite a gripping read.

I am planning a visit to Pondicherry this weekend. I am a bit tight by time frames. Could you suggest me the places which falls in the "SHOULD NOT MISS" category?

Also, can anyone give some feed back about Chunnambar back waters??
oops Dhanush, didn't notice you have posted this question. Wish we had something like notification in fb.
From your post I think you have already visited, but in case you have not, do not miss -
a) going inside the meditation center in auroville
b) spending time in Le Cafe and walk on the promenade
c) Dinner in Rendezvous

I have not been to the backwaters recently. I went to one 10 years back (now 12 years back), but don't recall the details. Didn't team-bhp at that time and have not kept any logs :(
Old 10th January 2013, 22:09   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

oops Dhanush, didn't notice you have posted this question. Wish we had something like notification in fb.
From your post I think you have already visited, but in case you have not, do not miss -
a) going inside the meditation center in auroville
b) spending time in Le Cafe and walk on the promenade
c) Dinner in Rendezvous

I have not been to the backwaters recently. I went to one 10 years back (now 12 years back), but don't recall the details. Didn't team-bhp at that time and have not kept any logs :(
Thanks arindam. As you have rightly guessed, I have already been to Pondicherry. I didn't go inside auroville for meditation. Neither did I have dinner at rendezvous. But I did not miss le cafe and the walk in the promenade. I also went to chunnambar and it was totally worth it.

About notifications, there Is an option. You can change it in your settings. Any new post in the thread u have subscribed to will show up in bold in your user cp. and u can also opt for email notifications.

Irrespective of everything else, your log was definitely a huge motivator. And your detail and tips helped me a lot. Thanks a million
Old 18th January 2013, 00:09   #133
BHPian

Pondicherry has been on my radar for the past 2 years but now it looks that I might finally make it there.

laluks , arindamray , StarVegabond , rjstyles69 - Considering the fact that two people (me and my wife) will travel in an Alto from Bangalore to Puducherry, I have the following questions to you:-

1. Google maps is suggesting 3 routes (please refer attached pics). Which one is the most recommended route considering 1) best condition of road 2) least congestion 3) good scenary/locales?

2. Hotel Annamalai looks very good but unfortunately out of my budget - http://www.eglobe-solutions.com/hote...teldetails.asp

Are there any good hotels there for 1.5-2.5k per night range?

3. What should my itinerary look like if I plan to start from Bangalore on 7th Feb morning and look at returning back to Bangalore on 10th Feb by night. I mean what are the places to visit apart from what Arindam da has mentioned in the thread and in which order?

mayurpalav -The link provided by you for Auroville guest house has too many options. Can you please help me understand the options which are available to visitors and the cost of a C Type or D Type guest house near the beach? Also are there timing restrictions of returning back to the guest house at night? TV & internet is not something I would be looking at since I mainly need a place where I can keep my luggage and sleep at night. I would like to call you over the weekend if that's fine with you. Please message me your phone number.

Many thanks,
Punnyabrata
Attached Thumbnails
After 10 long years - Mahabalipuram & Pondicherry-blr-py-rt1.jpg  

After 10 long years - Mahabalipuram & Pondicherry-blr-py-rt2.jpg  

After 10 long years - Mahabalipuram & Pondicherry-blr-py-rt3.jpg  

After 10 long years - Mahabalipuram & Pondicherry-auroville.jpg  

Last edited by sabret00the : 18th January 2013 at 00:12.
Old 20th March 2013, 00:19   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Pondicherry has been on my radar for the past 2 years but now it looks that I might finally make it there.

laluks , arindamray , StarVegabond , rjstyles69 - Considering the fact that two people (me and my wife) will travel in an Alto from Bangalore to Puducherry, I have the following questions to you:-

1. Google maps is suggesting 3 routes (please refer attached pics). Which one is the most recommended route considering 1) best condition of road 2) least congestion 3) good scenary/locales?

2. Hotel Annamalai looks very good but unfortunately out of my budget - http://www.eglobe-solutions.com/hote...teldetails.asp

Are there any good hotels there for 1.5-2.5k per night range?

3. What should my itinerary look like if I plan to start from Bangalore on 7th Feb morning and look at returning back to Bangalore on 10th Feb by night. I mean what are the places to visit apart from what Arindam da has mentioned in the thread and in which order?

mayurpalav -The link provided by you for Auroville guest house has too many options. Can you please help me understand the options which are available to visitors and the cost of a C Type or D Type guest house near the beach? Also are there timing restrictions of returning back to the guest house at night? TV & internet is not something I would be looking at since I mainly need a place where I can keep my luggage and sleep at night. I would like to call you over the weekend if that's fine with you. Please message me your phone number.

Many thanks,
Punnyabrata

Could have called me or knocked at the door for the info. Sorry that I didn't visit the page for so long. In case you have not gone yet, the best route is none of the above shown by you - it should be Kanchi-Chengalpattu-Mahabalipuram-Pondicherry. This is the best road surface - though the time taken could be the same, as you need to cover 100 kms more, but most probabaly your car and your back will thank you.

However you can check the latest update on road condition IIRC of NH-66. If it has been done up, that will be the shortest and quickest (your option 1).
Old 20th March 2013, 10:05   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post

1. Google maps is suggesting 3 routes (please refer attached pics). Which one is the most recommended route considering 1) best condition of road
You mentioned 07 feb and today is 20 mar. So I presume that you have already completed the trip. Just in case you haven't done so,
1) Bangalore - krishnagiri- sriperumbudur. From sriperumbudur, take a deviation to right and go off the highway and follow the road to hit NH 45. The roads are good, a bit rough on a couple of places. Sparse traffic and easily negotiable.
2) Driving through covelong via mahabalipuram is a nice option (the ECR route). You will have to take a left from vandalur zoo for hitting ECR.
3) Meditation centre at auroville is closed on Sundays I think. Check up before you go. Also, you will not get passes for meditation in the same day. You will have to book in advance. At the place, you will get passes only for the next day. This is done to keep away visitors and to encourage people coming for the sole purpose of meditation. Auroville is not interested in promoting that place as a tourist destination

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks