Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2010, 20:21   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
As Lalu has already driven out of Tranquebar, i need to quickly finsihoff my part of the story and follow him, else it would be difficult for me as i do not know tamil and do not have mona with me.

I am sure Lalu might wait for me somewhere ahead...
Yes Star. I was waiting for you right at Tranquebar, infact at Gate of our Bungalow on the Beach, since the deal was you'd lead all the way to Velankanni, remember

Quote:
It a nut shell, what is Tranquebar ?

It is a combination of...
a 13th century temple on the beach
a 17th century danish fort
The blue ocean ..ofcourse
There is a jetty for one to walk..and experience moonlight
There are fishing boats
on a ozone rich beach
Bunglow with a pool
with some garden and great views
Hope these two panoramas capture these ...

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-panorama1s.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-panorama2s.jpg

Now with Star blazing the super double lane roads to Nagapattinam, we are on our way to Velankanni.

Good Bye Tranquebar for now.
Old 8th August 2010, 20:37   #137
Team-BHP Support

Thats news for me. Did not know that NH45A is in good shape!
Old 8th August 2010, 20:52   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats news for me. Did not know that NH45A is in good shape!
Tranquebar to Nagapattinam is in very good shape.
Old 8th August 2010, 21:13   #139
Senior - BHPian

Yes, Lalu was just waiting for me at the gate, so i led for a change.
BTW Lalu, your panaroma from the Tarace is simply the best picture i think. Can you please e-mail me those panaroma images (i am becoming a bit greedy)

We followed the route as below (this is for beginners like me)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-tranquebarvelankanni-map.jpg

Roads are in fantastic condition
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103419.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103420.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103421.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103422.jpg

Some small town (i think Karaikal)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-some-town.jpg

Roads are again in great shape
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103424.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103425.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103426.jpg

One more town (i think Nagapattinam)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-one-more-town.jpg

We had to take a slight detour as roads were closed for traffic because of some un-known reason and the traffic policeman guided us to the adjacent road.

Railway junction
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-railway-junction.jpg

Flyover
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-fly-over.jpg

Some temple
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-some-temple.jpg

Some port (i think Nagapattinam)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-some-port.jpg

Great roads as usual
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103440.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103441.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-010820103443.jpg

After about 47KM drive, we reach Velankanni
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-entering-velankanni.jpg

Me & my wife thank our fellow member from the forum Mr. Chevvy_Lover and his wife for thier wonderful travelogues which increased our curiosity
about this place called Velankanni...so at last we were here.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 8th August 2010 at 21:19.
Old 8th August 2010, 21:24   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Tranquebar to Nagapattinam is in very good shape.
Lalu. I tried Nh45 in its different state of constuction. The potion that I did not do was this stretch. Good to hear this.

Meanwhile I just realized an alternative solution for all those non-Petrol heads to go to Tranquebar.
Take the Mysore-Mayiladuthurai express and take a cab to Tranquebar. That should be totally hassle free!
Old 8th August 2010, 21:49   #141
Senior - BHPian

For a newbie like me and my wife who were first timers to Velankanni, everything was new.

We visited the Velankanni church website to know more
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-about-velankanni-1.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-about-velankanni-2.jpg

more information can be found here : Vailankanni (Velankanni) - Church of Our Lady of Health, Annai Vailankanni

There are 4 church buildings at the each corners of a holy cross.

we spent about 2 hours at Velankanni visiting these churches, offering prayers in our own way, having a cup of tea at Velankanni canteen visiting the museum of offerings and taking some photographs of the churches.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 8th August 2010 at 21:52.
Old 8th August 2010, 22:22   #142
Senior - BHPian

I do not want to be seen as factually wrong hence i would just stick to the images here w.r.t. Velankanni.

Church number #1
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-01-church-1.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-02-church-1-2.jpg

inside people were celebrating some one departing to heaven, we offered silent prayers.

Holy mother with the infant jesus
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-03-church-13.jpg

We too been to Velankanni
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-04-church-16.jpg

View from the first floor
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-05-church-14.jpg

Church nuber #2 and the pathway to salvation
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-06-church-15.jpg

Back side of the church #1, we offered prayer here too, i particularly felt nice while praying here.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-07-church-17-back-side.jpg

Computerised mass offering center
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-08-computerised-mass-offering-center.jpg

Proposed new structure for the church
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-09-proposed-new-structure-church.jpg

Our lady of the salvation, at the museum store.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10-our-lady-salvation.jpg

Then we went to Velankanni canteen and had a cup of tea,

Girls and the icecreams are inseperable
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-11-icecreams-girls-inseperable.jpg

Onway to church #2, we found several people crawling on their knees, probably they had pledged this service/offering to the holy mother.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-12-way-church-2.jpg

We found a father and son duo offering their service.
Name:  13 Onway to Church 22.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  226.6 KB

Our lady of salvation church..there is a well which is now covered.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-14-church-2.jpg

About church number #2
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-15-church-22.jpg

Church number #3
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-16-church-3.jpg

Church number #4
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-17-church-4.jpg

We found that the shadows were lengthening. We had a long drive back home.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-18-shadows-lengthening.jpg

We walked back to the vehicle parking area. At Velankanni parking is absolutely free as per court orders.

Overall, both my wife and myself liked our short trip to Velankanni. I particularly liked the church number #1 very much.

We bought some water bottles and started our drive towards Bangalore.
I am sure Holy Mother will make some wonderful thing (some great pictures) happen via Lalu, I am waiting for him to post his pictures prior to putting my ANHC into first gear.

EDIT: I just noticed one miracle, Lalu and myself have become one of the top 5 posters for today , some moments at the top
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-top-posters-aug-8th-2010-evening-1030pm.jpg

Last edited by StarVegabond : 8th August 2010 at 22:34.
Old 8th August 2010, 22:48   #143
Senior - BHPian

Velankanni

I had not insisted to Star that we must go Velankanni, though in my mind I really wanted to go. Star, my apologies for hiding this wish.

I have come so near that I wanted to pay my thanks giving to The Mother for all the wonderful blessings She had given us over the years. I would have been grossly disappointed if we were for some reasons not able to visit the Church. Finally we were able to make it, and I believe if you wish something with a sincere heart it always happens.

A thanks giving was long due and I was very much happy to be there, words cannot express it.

After Nagapattinam, I overtook Star and lead the way, since I knew almost most of the route based on my previous visit. Quick consultation with human GPS and Mona saw us reach the parking lot by around 15:45PM.

Power Puff Angels at the main Church
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0439.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0440.jpg

Views of the main Church

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0409.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0413.jpg

The Chapels at each side

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0406.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0477.jpg

Our Lady's Tank and Church

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0449.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0450.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0451.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-church6.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0454.jpg

Power Puff Angels at Our Lady's Tank and Church

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0466.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-0467.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_0458.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_0459.jpg

The view of the Main Church from Our Lady's Tank and Church

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_0463.jpg

Some more pictures of the Church

Name:  Church1.jpg
Views: 1929
Size:  185.2 KB

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-church2.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-church3.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-church4.jpg

We spent almost 2 hours visiting the churches and offering our prayers. We left Velankanni around 17:45PM. We were blessed with a safe and comfortable return journey. We reached our respective homes in Bangalore safely by 03:00AM.

More on the return journey coming up.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:13   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had not insisted to Star that we must go Velankanni, though in my mind I really wanted to go. Star, my apologies for hiding this wish.

I have come so near that I wanted to pay my thanks giving to The Mother for all the wonderful blessings She had given us over the years.

We left Velankanni around 17:45PM. We were blessed with a safe and comfortable return journey. We reached our respective homes in Bangalore safely by 03:00AM.

More on the return journey coming up.
Hely Lalu,

Even i wanted to visit Velankanni, but had not specifically stated it.
Good that both our wishes got fulfilled.

I could feel the energy while praying at the main church.

Some of the roads till sunset..
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-velankaniback-road-1.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-velankaniback-road-2.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-velankaniback-road-3.jpg

We were still at some 60KM from Tanjavur when the sun decide to set.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-sunset-aug-1st-2010.jpg

Return trip was very smooth, I am not very sure of the minute details of the roads we took. We drove through Nagapattinam-Tanjavur-Trichy-Krishnagiri-Hosur-Silkboard-Yelahanka, total 504 KMs from the parking lot at Velankanni to my building parking lot.

We took a dinner break at Trichy and also i refueled my car. From Trichy onwards it was a great and un-eventful drive with me leading till Krishnagiri and then later on Lalu leading all the way till Silkboard junction. I think we reached Silkboard at 2:30 AM

We exchanged a smile at each other, said good night and drove on towards respective homes. I received an SMS from Lalu that he reached home while i was reversing into my parking at 3.00 AM

We all enjoyed the trip very much. I would like to thank Lalu and his wonderful family for the great time we spent toegther. I would also like ot thank my Bombaiwala friend for accompanying us, keeping the log of happening, taking pictures during the drive, continue to remain a spirited (or sprited) person and being a navigator throughout the trip.

Due to Gods grace, It was a 1133 KM long and perfect drive, in just 48 hours

Till another round of crazy ideas envelop our minds.. adios..good night..good bye.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 8th August 2010 at 23:19.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:24   #145
BHPian

Was it only two days? That's the question came to my mind after finishing the logs!

Thanks Lalu and Star for giving us this treat - through your lucid writing and vivid photography.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:35   #146
Senior - BHPian

Velankanni - Thanjavur - Trichy - Namakkal - Salem - Bangalore

We started around 17:45 from Velankanni on our return trip. I was leading the way till Thanjavur, from where Star promptly took the lead till Trichy.

At Trichy Star found a nice restaurant Greens on the wayside and we had "Gopi Masala" and "Cofce" from there.

After Dinner Star again lead the way, and took a left turn showing direction to Salem, and we were in the Trichy Nammakkal route. This route had very high traffic, but still we were able to manage that in 2 hours. I wanted to take Trichy Karur, but ended up in Trichy Namakkal route. From Nammakkal onwards it is our beautiful NH7 and was a great drive.

We broke at Salem for a tea around 00:30AM, and then drove all the way to Bangalore. We took the elevated "fly" over and reached Silkboard by 02:45AM. We stopped the car for a few second, exchanged a good smile, and continued on our different ways to our homes. I reached home by around 03:00AM and sent a message to Star about our safe arrival. Star also replied with an SMS about his safe return.

The log for the return leg is

Time -- Distance -- Place
14:43 -- 0571.3 -- Bungalow on the Beach
15:47 -- 0616.0 -- Velankanni Church

17:45 -- 0616.0 -- Start from Velankanni
18:26 -- 651.41 -- Thanjavur
20:51 -- 0760.0 -- Trichy Dinner Break

21:48 -- 0760.0 -- Start from Trichy
23:43 -- 0847.5 -- Namakkal
00:18 -- 0896.7 -- Salem Tea break

00:29 -- 0896.7 -- Start
02:46 -- 1096.3 -- Silkboard
03:09 -- 1112.3 -- Home

The complete route.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-fullscreen-capture-02082010-173843.jpg

All in all a complete 48hour tight packed adventerous holiday. Enjoyed every moment of it.

Though the planning, execution and the entire trip was over in under 48 hours, the travelogue really took atleast thrice the effort and time - but then sharing is joy.

Thank you Star and your family for making it happen at short notice. A great appreciatiion to the Spirit of our Mumbai friend on deciding to join the trip and remain spirited all through out.

It was one good trip, to be treasured in the memory.

Till I embark on the next journey, signing off for now.

The END
Old 8th August 2010, 23:42   #147
Team-BHP Support

Great trip there guys! One thing Star that you mentioned is so true. Even I got know about Velankanni through CL only.
(By the way not heard from him for a long time. The incredibles must be somewhere!)

But very soon even I plan to embark on the same place. But surely cannot drive like what you guys do!
Whatever said and done, will do it my own way. Great TL there Lalu and Star. Thanks for sharing!

@Star will catch up with you some time soon.

Last edited by ampere : 8th August 2010 at 23:44.
Old 8th August 2010, 23:57   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Was it only two days? That's the question came to my mind after finishing the logs!

Thanks Lalu and Star for giving us this treat - through your lucid writing and vivid photography.
Thanks Arindam. Hope you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Whatever said and done, will do it my own way. Great TL there Lalu and Star. Thanks for sharing!
For the Southies, Velankanni is a blessed pilgrim centre. Curious it is not known to you.
There is also a Durgah near to Nagore, similar faith exist there and is visited by persons from all religions.
Also a few temples of similar faith nearby.

When you do it, please treat us with a travelogue.

Last edited by laluks : 9th August 2010 at 00:08.
Old 9th August 2010, 00:06   #149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For the Southies, Velankanni is a blessed pilgrim centre. Curious it is not known to you.
I knew it was pilgrim place, but did not know that the place so photogenic!
(Thanks to camera men CL, Laluks and Star! )

By the way some notes on the railway junction that you guys snapped:

From Tanjore there is a branch line that goes via Thiruvarur to Nagaptnam.
There was supposed to be a gauge conversion for a long time for this route.
The snap looks like a BG line now. But I am sure if trains have started on this line.

(The other line from Tanjore goes via Kumbakonam all the way up to Mayiladuthurai.)

Last edited by ampere : 9th August 2010 at 00:07.
Old 9th August 2010, 00:18   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Till another round of crazy ideas envelop our minds...
Quote:
...embark on the next journey...
I see an opportunity in September for a wild drive of much higher magnitude than this, also in two days

Quote:
BTW Lalu, your panaroma from the Tarace is simply the best picture i think. Can you please e-mail me those panaroma images (i am becoming a bit greedy)
Done Star. Hope I have not flooded your inbox

Most Viewed