Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2010, 00:50   #151
Senior - BHPian

Laluks & StarVegabond,

Wonderful travelogue guys enjoyed every bit of it. Velankanni was a revelation in fact so was Tbar too as I posted earlier.
Old 9th August 2010, 01:28   #152
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Having travelled to Velankanni, you guys have missed a couple of great places.
One is the great Brihadeshwara temple at Tanjore. Much is spoken of it already.
Another is the Nagore Dargah. You have crossed Nagore enroute to Velankanni from Tharangambadi.
Nagore dargah is another awe inspiring place where one finds people of all faith flocking, much like velankanni matha kovil.
Guess, there another trip in the making for you guys
Old 9th August 2010, 06:42   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Having travelled to Velankanni, you guys have missed a couple of great places. .........
MX6, 48 hours is what we had . We stoped at Thanjavur and asked the co-ordinates of the temple. All in good time MX6

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Laluks & StarVegabond,

Wonderful travelogue guys enjoyed every bit of it.
Thank you Khoj.
Old 9th August 2010, 07:24   #154
Senior - BHPian

@HVK Sir,

Please find the GPS trail. I had kept only few points for the logging, and is just an approximation to view the routes taken.

Mahab-tqbr-Vknni.kmz
Old 9th August 2010, 07:24   #155
Senior - BHPian

Great one "Hondas".
Quote:
MX6, 48 hours is what we had . We stoped at Thanjavur and asked the co-ordinates of the temple. All in good time MX6
Agreed. Covering more place is certainly not these guys priority. The goal is - to be on the road. Hehehe.

Right sir?
Old 9th August 2010, 09:14   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Great one "Hondas".

Agreed. Covering more place is certainly not these guys priority. The goal is - to be on the road. Hehehe.

Right sir?
Temperature nor time was conducive for any quick breaks to even take a sneak look.
Old 9th August 2010, 13:54   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k149in View Post
I liked the photos of "the first view of the Danish Fort" and the photo posted Star showing the early morning sunrise particularly.

In that photo of Danish Fort, how did you take "Star" effect as you called it? What settings did you have on the camera at the time of the shot?

As usual, wonderful travelogue from you both!
Imran Sorry, could not see your post earlier. Hope you are not angry

The shutter speed was kept very low, I guess it was at 30seconds, with the f8. The water particles in the atmosphere did the trick. ISO was at 800.

Where are you off to next? Please identify some good places like you identified Kolli Hills
Old 9th August 2010, 16:59   #158
Senior - BHPian

Today i was just retrospecting about the trip, then realized that i did not respond to many of the messages/comments received.

First of all thanks to all the guys who responded or commented or appreciated the writings, pictures and efforts. I am just responding to some of you. Pardon me if you find i have not responded to your particular comment/quesiton etc. Send me a PM if you want more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Its difficult to find true friends with common interest.
in my view true friends are beyond any boundaries of interests. Two individuals are true friends because they like each other, their thoughts, values, actions etc.

If one has read a novel called Kane and Abel, then at the end one realizes the true meaning of a friendship. One is a real friend, he will still do good to other fellow even when the other fellow might have some bad feelings about first person due to mis-understandings.

Friendship is about being there when a friend is needed the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
This is what I call a duet, two guys with travel in their blood and a penchant to write some very good travelogues, way to go guys, lead on, many of us envy your ability to travel and explore.
Thanks Hari, I would have loved to make it an orchestra, especially with a skillful artist like you. But then the trip was decided at such short notice, i could not even call you.

Quote:
And this should be the Radham of the temple. Where is this?
I think arindam replied to this question. It was indeed the Radham or Ratham or Teru, from the Temple of Kanchipuram.

Quote:
You are too good to be an amateur hobbyist.
+1, Lalu seems to be zooming on the photography expressway, where as I am still on a village road or state highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
mjothi, your post of hilarious. I remembered the dialogue from chandramukhi
"Yenna kodumai saravanan idu"
Hi rabnavaz, thanks for your appreciation and comments.
Can you or someone translate this for a person who only knows to shake his head sideways for the question Tamil terima ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@StarVegabond - The Butter ball is an awesome shot. it give an impression that the guys are holding the stone. its huge too.
That was the idea of my friend from mumbai. we also had some good moments when a european lady was trying some different poses for the photograph based on the composition ideas by her boy friend.

I think, Lalu captured one picture of the fun moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
After all those discussion and too much oxygen rushing to my brains, I clicked some pictures, which also had its share of Ozone.
I salute her courage in undertaking this arduous journey.
May be we forgot to write about Ozone rich beach. in fact Tranquebar has been identified as Ozone Rich beach due to the prevalence of excessive dose of Ozone.

Lalu, in fact i was amazed by her composure during the break immediately after Kanchipuram. I think by the time we reached Mahabalipursm, she was simply at her best. not only that despite roaming for about 4 hours in hot sun, she was still at her best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is one thing which I really appreciate in you guys. You drive from dawn, fry yourself in sun, visit all the places and still game and as charged as ever to go further. Great spirit!

And further to that, you have brought up your kids in the same mould.
All the better!
Quote:
Covering more place is certainly not these guys priority. The goal is - to be on the road. Hehehe.
Road trips are a great way to spend time exclusively with one's family.
There is no intrusion of privacy in a car. one can really un-winde, exchange thoughts, sing, share jokes, do planning for the near future, get de-stressed from the hectic corporate life, look at some great scenarios on the way, just be oneself.

our kids would be (in fact they are currently) at much higher stress levels than we currently are. This is a great way of teaching them "to learn from observation and travel at the same time enjoy life and fun.

We had two days at our disposal, we spent it in the best possible way.
We have some great memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Lalu, you missed the Cuddalore Beach, Poompuhar (just a few kms before Tarangambadi) and Pichavaram.

Pichavaram is 13 kms from Chidambaram (narrow 1-laned road, dead end at Pichavaram boating jetty, also the TTDC resort) and Poompuhar is 25 kms before Tarangambadi. So here are more ideas for the next trip.
Quote:
Having travelled to Velankanni, you guys have missed a couple of great places.
One is the great Brihadeshwara temple at Tanjore. Much is spoken of it already. Another is the Nagore Dargah. You have crossed Nagore enroute to Velankanni from Tharangambadi. Nagore dargah is another awe inspiring place where one finds people of all faith flocking, much like velankanni matha kovil.
Thanks HVK, MX6,

There will always be a next time, In fact we had originally planned to go to Pichhavaram on the day two noon time. but then the road conditions and un-availability of boating at the noon time discouraged us from executing our plans. More over the after effects or hangover of day 1 made us stay put in the Bunglow on the beach for the first half.

I will certainly add these attractions to my Pondicherry leg of the trip or the Rameshwaram-Madurai-Kanyakumari leg some time in future.

Quote:
Thanks Star.
But you were the man with the most happening Power Puff Angels. Loved their photos from the pool. I some how happened to be away from all the action since I woke up late :(
Kids were a great team throughout the two days. Your elder one was teaching the other two how to use certain strokes (or art of swimming).

Quote:
@Star Pool seems to be the most favoured destination!
On a vacation, thats one place, which will never go out of vogue.
Yes, Kids spent every available opportunity to jump into the water, twice in the pool and once on the beach. The hot weather was the motivator i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Lalu, I think we have seen the entire tranquebar now
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Was it only two days? That's the question came to my mind after finishing the logs!

Thanks Lalu and Star for giving us this treat - through your lucid writing and vivid photography.
This was a spontaneous joke when i read it the first time.

Thanks arindam for your appreciation.

I hope this travelogue would not over expose tranquebar and de-motivate people from actually going there. If it happens, i would be a very sad person.

Quote:
Classic shots star! A real Western (err.. Southern) in the making!
Thanks ampere, i am a fan of these cowboy movies, i have lost count of how many times i have watched the three movies mentioned by me.

i also saw some dubbed into hindi (original tamil) modern cowboy movie some time back, yes "quick gun murugan" just for fun.

Quote:
Seems Cow Girls use Cameras to shoot instead of guns these days. It is such a sight seeing one with each of them.
Cameras are much better than Guns. I wish all terrorist be given cameras in exchange for thier guns. That would bring great amount of peace in this conflict inflicted world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Arey bhai, kahe ka fort,
it looks more like the ghar of raja as you rightly mentioned.
It is no where match to the forts in maharastra especially Murud Janira, Sindudurg, Vijaydurg, Raighad, Jayghad, Kille purandar, Simhaghad etc.

The ultimate fort i have sean is "Great wall of China" nothing beats it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Laluks & StarVegabond,

Wonderful travelogue guys enjoyed every bit of it. Velankanni was a revelation in fact so was Tbar too as I posted earlier.
Thanks Khoj for your appreciation.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 9th August 2010 at 17:14.
Old 10th August 2010, 02:18   #159
Senior - BHPian

Nice TL, Laluks and Star. I thoroughly enjoyed going through the log and the snaps. Thank you, Star, for letting me know the link.

Hey Star, nice to know that you bought a DSLR. Which make and model? You haven't mentioned about your new camera!!

Tranquebar was a revelation. I had read some TLs about that place, but your log is very different than the rest! Keep up the good work.

Velankanni has always been our favourite pilgrim centre. We try to visit the Church at least once a year! I must have made more than 15 trips so far! I guess there was some painting and renovation work going on in the church.

Some pics from my side for you guys! These pics were snapped during our last visit in May 2010.

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-25-shrine.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-26-velankanni_church_at_night.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-29-a_prized_catch-a_beautiful_pic_of_the_altar.jpg

@ Ampere, no long trips for us after our trip to Ooty and Velankanni. We did plenty of short trips every week, after we returned back from the south. Another short trip is just around the corner!
Old 10th August 2010, 07:03   #160
Senior - BHPian

CL, thanks for the pictures. Infact Star knew about Velankanni through your log. And for me it was a visit after many years. But glad that we both could make it.

The Mothers picture is wonderful. But it was written not to take pic inside, so we both refrained from it

So when is the next of the Incredible series coming up? This year is kind of tough on me in terms of long travels, how about you?
Old 10th August 2010, 20:38   #161
Senior - BHPian

Hi C_L,

Thanks for the pictures, especially that of the holy mother with infant Jesus. i wanted to take that piciture but the "camera not allowed" board discouraged me. Your picture completed this travelogue in real sense.

i bought a D90 with 18-105VR lens + 4GB sdcard + UV filter + battery charger + with B&W approx two months back. I am still learning how to operate my DSLR. i still have a long way ahead.

This trip was the first trip with the DSLR.
Old 11th August 2010, 00:48   #162
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Lalu and Star. The pic of Mother Mary from the main altar of the Shrine, was a prized catch. Photography is prohibited inside the Church. So we went after the Church closed for the day and got special permission to click that pic.

Here is another pic of Mother Mary from the Shrine at Our Lady's Tank!

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10-altar_at_shrine_of_our_ladys_tank.jpg

And Our Lady's Tank! The Holy Water from the tank is sweet and doesn't have any bad taste!

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-8-our_ladys_tank.jpg

@ Star, congrats on your new camera. I am sure you'll enjoy it. Hope to see more and more pics and travelogues from your side. Your pics are very good now.

@ Lalu, there is very less chance of us going for a long drive any time soon. But I promised my wife that I would take her for a holiday soon. So let's see how everything turns out!
Old 11th August 2010, 01:16   #163
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
@ Lalu, there is very less chance of us going for a long drive any time soon. But I promised my wife that I would take her for a holiday soon. So let's see how everything turns out!
You can start by joining us for tapri meet this weekend and the planned kaas visit in Sept
Old 11th August 2010, 07:39   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Thanks Lalu and Star. The pic of Mother Mary from the main altar of the Shrine, was a prized catch. Photography is prohibited inside the Church. So we went after the Church closed for the day and got special permission to click that pic.

Here is another pic of Mother Mary from the Shrine at Our Lady's Tank!

That is some good pictures from the church interiors. Lucky guy. Thanks for sharing.

I looked in to one of the shots I had taken from outside, and cropped to get a glimpse of The Mother.

Name:  20100801_0438.jpg
Views: 6259
Size:  309.7 KB

Quote:
You can start by joining us for tapri meet this weekend and the planned kaas visit in Sept
That seems to be a wonderful suggestion

But CL has already made some promises to his wife. Let us wait for a great log to find out where he took her.
Old 11th August 2010, 08:12   #165
BHPian

Hi Lalu and Star,

Enjoyed your T/L! You guys had a real friendship outing, that makes this write up special.

It was good that you went as a group, that is what we (my wife and I) missed when we went to Tranquebar. But we will definitely make a return trip with friends and stay for two days.

Regarding the roads, when we returned home, I felt that the bad roads were not really such a deterrent. The first time it was unexpected and took me by surprise, but the return was okay. In fact, I regretted taking the long way around (via Kanchipuram), as all I had to do was drive slow from TV Malai to Krishnagiri and the drive is much more interesting than the toll highways.

Once again, enjoyable write up, thanks for all the efforts by you both to compile and put it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks