Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:29   #31
Senior - BHPian

While Lalu presents the Shore Temple pictures in a authentic and grand manner, i will post my last two pictures from the Shore temple visit

After spending some time at Shore temple, we decide to move out. Temperature was already 38 degree C and sun was very scorching, we sub-conciously dropped the plan of visiting the beach and walkedout.

While walking out, we found some one really demonstating a bit more than friendship, these two were appeared to be in a mating session. I just missed capturing the scene
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-celebrating-friendship-day.jpg

Powerpuff Angels made our decision simple as they were thirsty, so we took a drink break at the nearby cold drink shop. There are lot many stone carving shops around. Here is one of the angle checking out the stone carvings.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-stone-carving.jpg

Let us wait for Lalu to process and post his pictures, then we will move to the next attraction.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 2nd August 2010 at 22:40.
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:30   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The Shore Temple

Another view of the Shore Temple
Attachment 398259
Have you taken any oath to not put more than ONE picture in a post

Why sir? Why?

@Star. Thanks star for those free info. Eventhough I have visited Mahabs several times when in Chennai, never had a guide. Not sure why. But it just went off. May be because, it was in our place

Agreed, those are legends to know. The more you hear, the more you will be astonished for sure.
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:11   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

Why sir? Why?

mjothi, your post of hilarious. I remembered the dialogue from chandramukhi
"Yenna kodumai saravanan idu"

Mods: sorry
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:59   #34
MX6
Senior - BHPian

You are too good to be an amateur hobbyist. Anyway, That odd treatment of that temple snap just makes it even more alluring to the eyes. What was the trick you used?
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why sir? Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
mjothi, your post of hilarious. I remembered the dialogue from chandramukhi
"Yenna kodumai saravanan idu"

Mods: sorry
Guys -

We don't want to break the standing records in TBHP for the most number of photos, either of roads or monuments. I guess Star mentioned it before some where - LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
So current standing road photograph upload records on T-BHP stands as it is.
Let that be left for future master strokes, currently I guess it is 1 photo per km!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
You are too good to be an amateur hobbyist. Anyway, That odd treatment of that temple snap just makes it even more alluring to the eyes. What was the trick you used?
Thanks, that gives me the needed encouragement in learning the skills of photography. Trick - tone mapping.
Old 3rd August 2010, 08:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A total of 1100KMs and 48 hours.
Quote:
Guys -

We don't want to break the standing records in TBHP for the most number of photos, either of roads or monuments. I guess Star mentioned it before some where - LOL.

Let that be left for future master strokes, currently I guess it is 1 photo per km!!
Wow, a simple math says this itself will beat the standing record

Ok. back to log please.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why sir? Why?
Answer to your question is here in the post of star!!!

Quote:
I would request the readers to consider my pictures as Roti & Rice and Lalu's pictures as Deserts and Sweets.
Laluks is posting the pics like serving Gulab Jamun, only one at a time.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 3rd August 2010 at 10:32.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

The Shore Temple

The panorama
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-temple-panorama1.jpg

A little closer
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-shore-temple-061.jpg

Still more closer
Name:  Shore temple 011.jpg
Views: 2595
Size:  368.1 KB

Details - The top of the gopura is made from Granite.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-shore-temple-051.jpg

Power Puff Angels
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-power-puff-angels1.jpg

Sky, birdie and nest
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-sky1.jpg

Guys hope you are happy . I have posted more than 1 picture.

We now move on to the next stop, The 5 Rathas.

Star over to you.

Last edited by laluks : 3rd August 2010 at 11:04.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi Lalu,

your images look fantastic, i liked the picture of the powerpuff angles posted by you.

I just realized one thing, your daughters got promoted from being the power puff girls to being a powerpuff angels. my simple daughter became a power puff angel when she came into contact with your girls.

Think of it !, what a mere few hours of friendship can do. What could a life time of friendship can bring to the people ?.

Today was a busy day for me...here i go with the next attraction.

After a round of cold drinks, we hopped on to our respective Honda Rathas and started driving towards Five Rathas. It appears that the Pallava King was a fan of Pandava's and he built these as a rememberance to the Pandava brothers and their wife Draupadi. Imagine in those days also women demanded seperate vehicles for them, and it was indeed a compact Ratha, at least the one here is.

The Five Rathas called as Pandava Rathas.. In those times also people used to have vehicles as per their stature.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-pandava-rathas.jpg

Some descriptions about five Rathas
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-five-rathas.jpg

Lion seems to be symbol of the Pallava dynasty
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-lion-seems-symbol-pallava-dynasty.jpg

Stone Elephant
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-elephant.jpg

The Bull and the Beauty
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-nandi.jpg

Ratha for Dharmaraja
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-ratha-udhistira.jpg

Ratha for the Mighty Bheema..the biggest and most spacious
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-bheema-ratha.jpg

My friend trying pose as Arjun
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-my-friend-trying-pose-himself-arjun.jpg

The Twins had to share everything from Womb to Love to a Ratha
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-twins.jpg

Ardhanarishwara (half woman & half man) is an enactment of Lord Shiva showcasing the best qualities of the male and female lifeforms.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-ardhanarishwara.jpg

The view from another side
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-view-another-side.jpg

in approx 38 deg C and at almost 12 noon, we got almost roasted like a lamb
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-got-roasted-like-lamb.jpg

The Soothing Shade provided some temporary relief
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-soothing-shade.jpg

The Heart and mind aspired for a cool shak to rest
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-still-better-shack.jpg

or a cool shell to hide
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-cool-shell-hide.jpg

This vehicle reminded us of the Honda Ratha and the cool AC it offers.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-vehicle-move-around.jpg

While returning to our cars, we saw this ancient brave woman chasing a tiger away
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-ancient-brave-woman.jpg

adjacent to the brave women was this statue of Began depicting the compassion and importance for beauty, arts and artisans in the kingdom of Pallavas.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-statue-began.jpg

Soon we jumped back into our own rathas and moved towards the next attraction.

Now over to Lalu for his wonderful deserts.. i mean photographs of the five rathas.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 3rd August 2010 at 22:23.
Old 4th August 2010, 07:01   #40
v&v
Senior - BHPian

StarVegabond & Lalu, Nice narration and photos.
Once query to lalu reg the pana shot, did you shot this holding the camera horizontal or vertical ? Nice Pictures
Old 4th August 2010, 07:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
StarVegabond & Lalu, Nice narration and photos.
Once query to lalu reg the pana shot, did you shot this holding the camera horizontal or vertical ? Nice Pictures
Thanks v&v. It was horizontal.
Old 4th August 2010, 07:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

The 5 Rathas

We hopped on to our respective "Honda Rathas" like Star mentioned and drove to the 5 Rathas nearly a kilometer away from the Shore Temple.

The only annoyance if I must say I felt at Mahabalipuram is the never ending following by the hawkers to sell you something. I also saw fans made of peacock feathers

Over to the pictures. Star has been keenly listening to the guide, and I was lazy hiding away in the shades. So I'll have to check his log to find which ratha is which

The 5 Rathas
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100731_10581.jpg

Illustration of the 5 Rathas
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10581.jpg

The Elephant - Seems it is Airavatha.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10561.jpg

The Elephant with some visitors
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-1056_11.jpg

Dharmaraja Ratha
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10431.jpg

Roof of Dharmaraja Ratha with a beautiful sky as backdrop
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-1053_54_551.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-1050_51_521.jpg

Bheema Ratha
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10381.jpg

Dharmaraja Ratha and Bheema Ratha
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10481.jpg

The Lion
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10371.jpg

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10361.jpg

Arjun Ratha
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10251.jpg

Nakula Sahadeva ratha
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10231.jpg

Which ratha is this? Star need your help in identifying this.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-1032_33_341.jpg

Star over to you for the next pitstop - Arjunas penance and Butter ball.
Old 4th August 2010, 09:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which ratha is this? Star need your help in identifying this.

The compact and cute ratha is for Draupadi. As i said before in those days also men used to think that women like compact cars.

Also note that Draupadi's Ratha is very close to Arjuna's Ratha. Mahabharatha stories tell us at the end (through Dharmaraja's quotes during maha nirvana) that Draupadi loved Arjuna more than her other 4 husbands. Draupadi also used Bheema for executing her vengence.
Mahabharata is a wonderful story where one can learn strategy and tactics.

Quote:
Star over to you for the next pitstop - Arjunas penance and Butter ball.
coming up...
Old 4th August 2010, 10:37   #44
BHPian

Hello Guys,
The pics are awesome. Just gone through the 1st page.
Old 4th August 2010, 10:47   #45
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also note that Draupadi's Ratha is very close to Arjuna's Ratha. Mahabharatha stories tell us at the end (through Dharmaraja's quotes during maha nirvana) that Draupadi loved Arjuna more than her other 4 husbands. Draupadi also used Bheema for executing her vengence.
Mahabharata is a wonderful story where one can learn strategy and tactics.

coming up...
Well, the reason for this rests in the fact that it was Arjuna who won the swayamvara and not bhima.
The contest was to lift the bow gandiva and string it. Now everyone knows that Bhima is stronger than Arjuna. But why didn't bhima attempt at accomplishing the task and Arjuna did that?
There are two small stories that go in to it.
First one being the fact that Arjuna being younger, his accomplishment means that his elders are also capable. Youngsters never stake a claim in what elders acheived. So if Bhima or Yudishtra had done that, then Arjuna or even Bhima couldn't have married Draupadi. Nakul and Sahadev being sons of Madri don't have any issues with age. This is because, Veda vyasa seems to have met Bheema enroute to Drupada kingdom and had told him that All the 5 Pandavas will marry Draupadi.
So Kunti stating to Yudishtra asking all brothers to share the trophy called draupadi was possible and accepted by yudhishtra because of the fact that the younger brother accomplished it.
It's bizzare, but then that's the mahabharata.
The second reason for Draupadi having to garland Arjuna is because of Bheeshma, without whom the mahabharata wouldn't have happened.
We all know that Amba had vowed that she will exact revenge on Bheeshma. We all know that Amba was also re-born as shikhandi against whom, Ganga Putra Bheeshma didn't hold a weapon. Now Amba took a boon from Shiva, who blessed her with a garland. Who wears that garland would slay the mighty Bheeshma. When Amba took the garland to the streets of Hastinapur, people shunned her due to the love and fear of Bheeshma. Finally, Amba left the garland at the palace door step at Drupada. She was also born as Shikhandi and wore the garland for some times.
And the same garland finally came to Draupadi who had to garland the victor in the swayamwar.
Bhima would not kill Bheeshma. As Bheeshma is a vishnu bhakt. Bheeshma himself shows his devout for vishnu when krishna in a fit of rage holds the Chakrayudha the only time in the war. He claims there's no bigger fortune than being slayed by Vishnu himself! The only person who can vanquish him in such case is either krishna, who vowed not to fight, or Arjuna, who can do it at the behest and advice of krishna.
Hence Bhima didn't want to be garlanded. He let Arjuna be the slayer of Bheeshma.
But Bheeshma also has a boon. To chose his own death. Arjuna beat him and let him lie on the bed of arrows. But Ganga putra bheeshma wouldn't die until he knew Hastinapur was safe.

On a lighter note, amongst the pandavas, Arjuna was the most promiscuous and manly. He had to take the form of Brehannala to hide. His Manliness was so known that it seems one can make out it's Arjun in any worlds in any disguise. Thankfully Urvashi cursed him which he used for his 1 year Agyatvas. Anyway, Arjuna had the maximum wives amongst pandavas due to his promiscuous and manly qualities! So guess Draupadi wanted to keep in on leash and had her chariot close to him.
Go to Gujarat, there's a place near Madhapur where pandavas are supposed to have spent time during Agyatvas. You find 6 Shiva temples which they have prayed to. Bhima's temple has the biggest Linga. Draupadi's is small and close to Arjuna's.

An OT to this post: couple celebrate the 70th birthday of the husband as Bhima Ratha Shanti. Still trying to do an etymological reasoning for that.

Last edited by MX6 : 4th August 2010 at 10:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks