Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Day 1, 31 July 2010
Bangalore - Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar

We started from house around 3.30AM. The designated meeting point was after the Silk Board Flyover. We rolled from Silk Board at 04:15Am and reached the turn to Kanchipuram from the NH by 07:30AM. We had to navigate through some very narrow stretch before we could get the two lane road which joins finally to the ECR. We took some breaks in between, and also for fuel for the Civic. Finally we reached Mahabalipuram Shore temple by 10:00AM.

I have no pictures till we reached here. Star has already started to upload the pictures of the drive till here. More he has promised by evening.

From Mahabalipuram onwards We'll synchronise the pictures and log.

continued ...
Old 2nd August 2010, 16:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Tamilnadu,
  • a state i had never visited before on a road tip,
  • a land of temples, gods, godesses,
  • a region which boasts of beaches and several hill stations,
  • a place which proudly hosts the core of south Indian culture, arts, crafts
  • a land of humble but many of the most intelligent people this country ever gave birth to.
  • a modern day destination for setting up manufacturing and SEZs
  • a state which is more often known as Madras (in old times) and now Chennai for the rest of the average Indian on the street.
  • known as a land of Dosai and Idli-Sambhar around the world
  • for the fairer sex among us it is known as land of beautiful silk and printed saries
I always wanted to drive and see places in Tamilnadu. But never managed to go beyond Hosur in my last 4+ years of living in Bangalore. 2009 Deceber we managed to go to Ooty & Kotagiri.

Lalu called me up 2 weeks ago, asked me whether i would like to accompany him on a road trip. This is what i called.. Neki, aur pooch pooch (Doing Good work, then why ask ?). Week end of 24th & 25th July, i was in Delhi, hence i could not join, so last week eventually we had couple of calls/e-mails followed by one coffee meet to decide on the destinations.

Informed my family about the drive on Thursday last week, so the preparations were quick. Contacted the Bunglow on the Beach guys at the tranquebar, got in touch with thier Bangalore office, made reservations, visited them at Malleshwaram to make the advance payment etc.

On friday morning i learnt that my friend from mumbai was in Bangalore and he was planning to come over during the weekend, then thought of inviting him to our weekend trip.

So on friday evening everything got set. viz. fueling the car, packing the bags, swimming suits, junkfood, water bottles, printout of google maps, cameras & chargers etc. Had an early dinner, but still by the time we hit the bed it was 11 PM.

we had planned leave at 3 AM and meet at Silkboard junction at 3:30 AM, Alarm was set at 1.45 AM. But when we woke up it was already 2.20 AM. we left home by 3:20 AM, on way completed the cash re-fill and reached Silkboard junction by 4 AM.

Drive from Silkboard to Kachipuram was un-eventful. Sunrise was as usual a beatuiful occation.

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-sunrise.jpg

With Lalu setting the pace, we reached Kachipuram as planned by 7.30 AM, where we took the first break.

Families met each other, my daughter made switch to Lalu's Civic to be with the Power Puff Girls. Drive through Kanchipuram was a cautious one, early morning traffic and market was already buzzing.

Took another break some time afterwards for another 10 minutes. Eventually we reached Mahabalipuram Shore Temple parking lot by 10 AM as planned.

..now over to Lalu for his pictures of the Shore Temple.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 2nd August 2010 at 16:39.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:05   #18
BHPian

Wow..Laluks and Star! This is a deadly combination. Its going to be interesting. Yes, I too am a fan of Star's writing and Laluk's traveling/photography interests. The way they got together for this trip through T-BHP is also something to be appreciated . Looking forward to more.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is what I call a duet, two guys with travel in their blood and a penchant to write some very good travelogues, way to go guys, lead on, many of us envy your ability to travel and explore.
Old 2nd August 2010, 19:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Mahabalipuram

The Shore Temple

All historical data about the Shore Temple is available on Arindam's Travelogue, whose link is mentioned in the beginning posts. So we are not repeating any here.

The Shore Temple as seen when you enter.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-shore-temple-021.jpg

More pictures to follow

Thank you @LDL and Hari.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Shore Temple

The Nandi Statues with the temple gopuram and an amazing sky as backdrop
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-shore-temple-031.jpg
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:09   #22
BHPian

laluks and star, all glued to this thread.
This is the first time I am hearing a place called Tranquebar. Should be a interesting place.
Would like to see your pics before I google for Tranquebar.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow Lalu. Seems you have accomplished the goal of the trip

Nice photography. I know there is cheating here. Hahaha. Just kidding.

Really awesome composition too.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

Lalu & Star together on roadtrip plus a joint travelogue, cool! I'm glued here since this is going to be the most happening place now on .

Would love to share a beautiful quote on friendship. Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure. I'm waiting for more snaps to see the treasure you guys discovered during this trip .

Last edited by jacs : 2nd August 2010 at 21:16.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:18   #25
MX6
Senior - BHPian

some odd treatment you've given to that sky snap KS. looks a bit blurred. seems like the sky is not a part of this photo.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

The Shore Temple

Some Chinese influence in the sculptures
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-lion1.jpg
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

Nice very Nice.

So @Star thats where you were! Good that I did not call you on Sunday.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
laluks and star, all glued to this thread.
This is the first time I am hearing a place called Tranquebar. Should be a interesting place.
Would like to see your pics before I google for Tranquebar.
rabnawaz Thanks.
Just at the beginning I have given references to two threads on Tranquebar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Wow Lalu. Seems you have accomplished the goal of the trip

Nice photography. I know there is cheating here. Hahaha. Just kidding.

Really awesome composition too.
Thanks Mahesh. We wanted to try something, thats why we headed out. I am learning some techniques of cheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Lalu & Star together on roadtrip plus a joint travelogue, cool! I'm glued here since this is going to be the most happening place now on .

Would love to share a beautiful quote on friendship. Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure. I'm waiting for more snaps to see the treasure you guys discovered during this trip .
Thanks jacs. Hopefully we will not disappoint you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
some odd treatment you've given to that sky snap KS. looks a bit blurred. seems like the sky is not a part of this photo.
I am just an amateur hobbyist. Things can go wrong, and thanks for that observation.
Old 2nd August 2010, 21:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everybody for your attention, kind words and high expectations.

Lalu appears to be occupied with the post processing of his images. He generally shoots in RAW format and seems to put in lots of efforts before presenting them to all of us. The sample image of the shore temple is just the tip of the effort-burg.

I would request the readers to consider my pictures as Roti & Rice and Lalu's pictures as Deserts and Sweets.

We bought the tickets and employed a tour guide to show us arround the attractions of Mahabalipuram for about 2 hours. The guide servcie cost us RS 400/- Our guide was Mr. Ali who made substantial efforts to explain things in English and was fairly successful when he combines his animation skills using hands, face expressions and physical movements.

Mahabalipuram Shore Temple entry rules
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-mahabalipuram-shore-temple-entry-rules.jpg

ASI Rules
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-asi-rules.jpg

View from the entry gate
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-view-entry-gate.jpg

Some friendship is already brewing
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-some-friendship-already-brewing.jpg

About Mahabalipuram
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-about-mahabalipuram.jpg

First view of the Shore Temple
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-first-view-shore-temple.jpg

Friendly angles and the Shore temple
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-friendly-angles-shore-temple.jpg

Up-Close and Rock Solid, this survived the tsunami as well.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-upclose-rocksolid.jpg

Maha Bali Peetham - the place of great sacrifice
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-maha-bali-peetham-place-great-sacrifice.jpg

Powerpuff Angles
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-power-puff-angles.jpg

The next three pictures are all together in a deep circular well,

The first one is a slot that hosted a Shiva lingam, now it is said to be in a museum in Delhi,
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-slot-hosted-shivalingam.jpg

Second is a scupture and third one is Varaha,
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-some-stone-scuplture.jpg

Vishnu's third incarnation.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-varaha.jpg

The Diety at the Shore Temple, but there is no no pooja being offered.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-diety-shore-temple.jpg

There is a saying that some Chinese king wanted to build temples like the ones in india, he sent some architects from China to learn the temple art here. It appears that the Pallava king tested them. They seems to have built this dragon like animal which has the durga riding it and a deer has been sacrified to the godess.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-chinese-dragon-like-lion.jpg

It is said that there are 3 statues of Lord Vishnu, one Tirupati (Standing), second at Srirangapattana (Seshashahi = sleeping on the snake bed), Anantashayana = ethernal sleep (at Shore temple) attached below
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-ananta-shayana.jpg

This is the Shivalingam, but part of this has been distroyed by the invaders
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-part-shivalingam-distroyed-invaders.jpg

View of the neighbourhood fishlanding area
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-view-neighbourhood-boat-landing-area.jpg

Another view of the beach
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-another-view-beach.jpg
Old 2nd August 2010, 22:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Shore Temple

Another view of the Shore Temple
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-shore-temple-041.jpg

Most Viewed