Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 23:52   #61
Senior - BHPian

Consulted Mona (I take pleasure in introducing you to my GPS lady) who has an attitude issue, who does not even bother to command me like "Take the turn now!!" all through out the journey. Though she kept shouting on me, all was in good interest and made us reach without much fuss to our location. Occassionally we consulted the human GPS available plenty on the roads to check whether Mona lied to me. I must admit she never lied and I am impressed with her. So she gets promoted as my secretary and she gets to travel with me always. With this my PPGs and my wifey permenantly retires from logging the details for me. Mona indeed is loved by them all for this one reason

Checking what Mona captured for the trip, the log looks like

Time -- Distance -- Place
03:46 -- 000.0 -- Home
07:19 -- 285.0 -- Right Turn to Kancheepuram (Break for 15 minutes here)
10:02 -- 356.5 -- Parking at Shore Temple
11:21 -- 356.5 -- Start from Shore Temple
11:32 -- 357.3 -- Parking at 5 Rathas
12:07 -- 357.3 -- Start from 5 Rathas
12:21 -- 358.1 -- Parking at Arjunas Penance
12:56 -- 358.1 -- Start from Arjunas penance
12:59 -- 358.7 -- Lunch break
14:01 -- 358.7 -- Start to Tranquebar after Lunch
15:29 -- 454.8 -- Pondicherry
16:18 -- 477.8 -- Cuddalore Anna Bridge
17:04 -- 520.2 -- Chidambaram
18:52 -- 571.2 -- Tranquebar

So you can see that a comfortable 6 hours from Bangalore will take you to Mahabalipuram. Most of the time is lost in the small roads through Kanchipuram till Mahabalipuram. If you time this stretch well, you can reach earlier, and will be best since sun will not be so scorching.

From Mahabalipuram, 90KM to Pondichery can be done in 1.5 hours easily. ECR road is a breeze and one of the most scenic roads that we have.

Check the timings once you cross Pondicherry, you'll be frustrated at yourself, at every other thing in the world. Mad mad traffic, narrow roads. Check for instance Pondicherry to Cuddalore - 33Km in an hour, Cuddalore to Chidambaram was OK with 43 Km in an hour.

Chidambaram to Tranquebar - I'll cry out loud. Man this literally took all my patience away. Not because we were slow, but because of the moronic attitude of all those oncoming vehicles. It is just a single lane of road. I had a very very bad head ache after this stretch, finally we some how managed to do this 51Km in 2 hours.

Bottom line - Tranquebar is far for you to drive from Bangalore for a two day trip, not because it is 570Kms away, but because atleast 100Km of this will test your patience, and you end up mostly on the streets. In my opinion the only way to avoid this stretch is plan a drive in the night with less traffic, if you have to do a tranquebar trip in two days / over a weekend.

We reached tired at the parking lot of Bungalow on the beach. By the time I got of the car I saw Mrs. Star gleaming with joy. She shouts in joy, "The rooms are awesome, The rooms are too good". I too join in the happiness, atleast we have something to cheer about after this hell of a drive.

Quickly freshened up and met all again to plan the next activities. Yes, the day is still not over yet. Decided to do the planning over a proper dinner, while the Power Puff Angels got their plan made to Swim in the pool.

Tranquebar we have arrived! F I N A L L Y ! !

Last edited by laluks : 4th August 2010 at 23:55.
Old 5th August 2010, 03:36   #62
Senior - BHPian

laluks calls upon a Star & together they take us to a bar

All the way up to page 3 and for a bit of 4, I actually was under the impression that Tranquebar is a hotel/lounge in Pondicherry. Now that I am better informed, I would like to believe that the roads from Pondi to Tranque are delibrately kept the way they are. You know to sort of make you all slow down, start enjoying the beautiful landscape and beginning to relax. Sort of tranquelize you guys by the time you get there, of course presence of auto gear boxes & a disappearing act by the heavy traffic would have helped. Anyways enough of my ramblings, waiting for post dinner happenings and maybe some more entertainment laluks style on the side

And laluks I am not even going to think about asking you as to how many frames went into composing the shots this time around, I am just going to enjoy what you are dishing out. That combined with Star's lucid words is making this a very enjoyable reading experience.

One question though regarding the road in front of the bass relief. Is traffic allowed to ply on that road?
When we went there about a year and half ago our guide took the vehicle almost up to the Krishna Mandapam and local traffic was going up and down. I was like what about all the soot and CO2 deposits on these carvings. I feel they should stop traffic a good half a km before these treasures of yore if not more, a-la Taj.

PS I hope the title does not earn me another infraction.

OT MX6, I don't know whether you noticed or not but your all encompassing 'sprite' has made an appearance in Tranquebar too, thanks to Star and his friend from Bombay
Old 5th August 2010, 03:58   #63
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj. I did read about one guy still having high sprites. I thought it was a typo error by Starvega. Anyway I thought the friend from Mumbai might be a surprise revelation at the end of the thread. But you are now pulling up the sprite. There's always something brewing between you guys. So I'll leave it at that and wait for things to unfold.
Old 5th August 2010, 06:58   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
All the way up to page 3 and for a bit of 4, I actually was under the impression that Tranquebar is a hotel/lounge in Pondicherry. Now that I am better informed, I would like to believe that the roads from Pondi to Tranque are delibrately kept the way they are. You know to sort of make you all slow down, start enjoying the beautiful landscape and beginning to relax. Sort of tranquelize you guys by the time you get there, of course presence of auto gear boxes & a disappearing act by the heavy traffic would have helped. Anyways enough of my ramblings, waiting for post dinner happenings and maybe some more entertainment laluks style on the side
Khoj, we would have been happy if everybody had slowed down. The on coming traffic comes to you at the speed of light and in a fraction of a second you'd realise if it was a hit or a miss. How often can one be tortured like that, there seemed to be no end.

Some entertainment is coming for sure. I was teaching all blunders I knew in photography in the midnight to Star and his friend, enjoying the cool breeze and the Ozone from the air, and poor them, they believed me word by word . Talking about Ozone, at times it was too much oxygen to process, and thoughts got disoriented - no sharpened.. More of it coming up.

Quote:
And laluks I am not even going to think about asking you as to how many frames went into composing the shots this time around, I am just going to enjoy what you are dishing out. That combined with Star's lucid words is making this a very enjoyable reading experience.
Thanks Khoj.

Quote:
One question though regarding the road in front of the bass relief. Is traffic allowed to ply on that road?
When we went there about a year and half ago our guide took the vehicle almost up to the Krishna Mandapam and local traffic was going up and down. I was like what about all the soot and CO2 deposits on these carvings. I feel they should stop traffic a good half a km before these treasures of yore if not more, a-la Taj.
Traffic is allowed. That thought did not go through my mind. Infact it is allowed all over the place. These are all walkable distances, could be stopped.

Quote:
PS I hope the title does not earn me another infraction.
Dear friend, what is this? Yes the bar is Tranquebar and there was no sprites!!

Quote:
OT MX6, I don't know whether you noticed or not but your all encompassing 'sprite' has made an appearance in Tranquebar too, thanks to Star and his friend from Bombay
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
@Khoj. I did read about one guy still having high sprites. I thought it was a typo error by Starvega. Anyway I thought the friend from Mumbai might be a surprise revelation at the end of the thread. But you are now pulling up the sprite. There's always something brewing between you guys. So I'll leave it at that and wait for things to unfold.
I leave the Sprites discussion to Star.
Old 5th August 2010, 08:09   #65
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj, MX6,

Just the way we were having Gopi Masala and Coffce, My friend was having Sprites

Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-coffce-gopi-masala.jpg

or probably it was the Ozone effect.. let us come back to it later.

Our check in was very swift, everything was simply ready, i had to just sign in the register. Attendents helped in transfering the luggage to the room. A quick look arround gave us a feeling that we made the right decision to book this accomodation.

Some painting on the wall
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-some-painting-wall.jpg

Old toys
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-old-antique-toys.jpg

Wooden staircase
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-wooden-stair-case.jpg

Bed in the room
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-bed-room.jpg

Furniture, Antique table and Hangers
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-furniture.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-antique-table-hangers.jpg

Dinner Area (Sea & Garden facing)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-dining-area.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-dining-area-garden-facing.jpg

Sea Breeze was so soothing that in no time, it brought cheers on everyone's face. Swimming pool excited the kids and wanted to be inside the pool. It took us some time to freshen up, took showers after which we ordered dinner.

Kids gaining energy again
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-kids-gaining-energy-once-again.jpg

Adults having a conversation
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-adults-havng-conversation.jpg

A long dinner is just what is needed to unwide after a long drive like this. Some good drinks made of fermented barley and white grapes, good quality, tasty food and conversation brought us all back to good moods.

The resort has a simple system of ordering, one needs to order only a main course dish, Rice and Chapatis are complimentory. Lalu and Family had some non veg main courses where as my family had vegetarian courses.

By the time we finished our dinner it was 9:30 PM. Kids wanted to jump into the pool, Under the supervision of the ladies that is what they exactly did.

Kids in the swimming pool
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-kids-swimming-pool.jpg

Big boys decided to take a stroll around, had a converation with the reception staff about the attractions of the place and eventually walked to the near by brick/stone jetty.

At 10 o'clock 3 idiots were sitting on the jetty and discussing whatever under the stars. Soon the discussion moved to the night photography and both myself and Lalu returned to the room to pick up our camera.

Bombaiwala looking at moon
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-bombaiwala-dost-looking-moon.jpg

Bangalore wala setting the camera
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-bangalore-wala-dost-setting-camera.jpg

What followed was simply un-explainable. we took some night shots which are attached here.

Some monument on the jetty.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-some-monument-jetty.jpg

Beach at night
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-beach-using-long-exposure-shot.jpg

Fishing Boats
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-fishing-boats.jpg

Horizon
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-horizon-using-long-exposure-shot.jpg

Danish Fort
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-danish-forst-using-long-exposure-shot.jpg

by 11 PM, the ladies and kids also joined us on the jetty.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-everyone-having-time-their-life-ont-he-jetty-1130-pm.jpg

We discussed the plans for the next day, took some more shots and walked back to the rooms by 11:30 PM. We never knew what time we slept.

Now over to Lalu for his brilliant night shots of the beach, fort etc.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 5th August 2010 at 08:25.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:47   #66
Senior - BHPian

After all those discussion and too much oxygen rushing to my brains, I clicked some pictures, which also had its share of Ozone. I'll post them by evening. All I can say is it was one hell of a day, and was rejuvenating to see the kids back in energy with their joy in the pool.

Infact the trip could have been missed by my family, since around 2AM my Junior Power Puff Girl started weazing and my wife was planning to stay back with her. But Junior Power Puff told me come what may, she is in for the trip, with a promise She'd be alright by evening. Though apprehensive we gave in to her courage, and packed all the medicines etc.. and set off. At Kanchipuram when she saw Junior Star, she almost forgot that she had some illness in the morning. Such is the power of new friends and togetherness. And jolly well, you see her swimming in the pool by evening. I salute her courage in undertaking this arduous journey.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2010, 09:47   #67
Senior - BHPian

Lalu, how was the road from Kanchipuram to Chengalpattu via Wallajahbad and from thereon to ECR? To take teh road from Chengalpattu, do you have to go into town or is there a bypass and proper signages after you intersect NH45 on the way to Mahabs?
Old 5th August 2010, 10:02   #68
BHPian

Boy, now I need to go back to Mahabs, it's been some time. And for seafood lovers going there, try Moonrakers - lovely place for food.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:04   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Lalu, how was the road from Kanchipuram to Chengalpattu via Wallajahbad and from thereon to ECR? To take teh road from Chengalpattu, do you have to go into town or is there a bypass and proper signages after you intersect NH45 on the way to Mahabs?
Exiting Kanchipuram is a messy affair. You are asked to get into some oneways through the market areas, which is all dug up and it takes some patience.
At Chengalpettu we passed through the town again before hitting ECR. Roads are mostly good, except a very few areas where it has reduced to mud and rubble, and signages to Mahabs properly in place.
I'll try to put up my GPS trail for you. But since I restricted it with the number of points, the trail will just be an approximation, but will do for the reference. I'll attach it by evening.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:07   #70
BHPian

Hey Laluks: Did you notice the "The Malabar Tile Works Feroke" on the underside of the odu of the Bungalow? It travelled all the way from the west coast to the east!!

Snap here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...t-route-2.html
Old 5th August 2010, 10:25   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Hey Laluks: Did you notice the "The Malabar Tile Works Feroke" on the underside of the odu of the Bungalow? It travelled all the way from the west coast to the east!!
Hey Jeev, Did not get to look up to the roof But that observation is a great one!
I wanted to ask you about Pichavaram, how was the route to Pichavaram,and what all were there, when do the boating happen? timings costs etc. From Chidambaram how exactly is the route?
Old 5th August 2010, 10:29   #72
Senior - BHPian

Lalu, you missed the Cuddalore Beach, Poompuhar (just a few kms before Tarangambadi) and Pichavaram.

Pichavaram is 13 kms from Chidambaram (narrow 1-laned road, dead end at Pichavaram boating jetty, also the TTDC resort) and Poompuhar is 25 kms before Tarangambadi. So here are more ideas for the next trip.
Old 5th August 2010, 10:32   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Hey Jeev, Did not get to look up to the roof But that observation is a great one!
I wanted to ask you about Pichavaram, how was the route to Pichavaram,and what all were there, when do the boating happen? timings costs etc. From Chidambaram how exactly is the route?
Thats an amazing boat drive on the mangrove!
No options to stay at Pichavaram though.
Old 5th August 2010, 11:05   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pichavaram is 13 kms from Chidambaram (narrow 1-laned road, dead end at Pichavaram boating jetty, also the TTDC resort) and Poompuhar is 25 kms before Tarangambadi. So here are more ideas for the next trip.

I read some where that its a rope operated toll road!
Old 5th August 2010, 11:06   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lalu, you missed the Cuddalore Beach, Poompuhar (just a few kms before Tarangambadi) and Pichavaram.
Pichavaram was in the list, but the timings were not matching for a 2 day trip. In no way we would have been able to be there at early mornings or late evening as to enjoy the place. The only slot we had was the afternoons, which we consciously avoided due to the 39 degrees scorching heat. Being on a boat at that heat with no shade would have made me and star a fried fish and our girls and ladies promptly denied the offer of a free fry

Cuddalore Beach and later next day Karaikal beach was also avoided due to this timing constraints.

Yes Pichavaram is a sure next, since Pondy Chidambaram drive can be done in 2 hours and I can have my base at Pondi and leave very early in the morning for this.

But venturing any further after Chidambaram - I have to think again, unless I am too early in the morning in that stretchto avaoid that mad on coming traffic and single lane of dilapidated roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats an amazing boat drive on the mangrove!
No options to stay at Pichavaram though.
Stay is not an issue, since this trip will be done mostly with a base at Pondi. Do you have any further info on the boat timings / costs etc. there. Probably Star will take me to a Pondy Pichavaram trip soon. Star are you listening??

Most Viewed