Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 12:03   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Probably Star will take me to a Pondy Pichavaram trip soon. Star are you listening??
Which way of listening you want me to demonstrate ?

Typically i practice 4 different ways of listening...

1. Receive the information in one ear and let it pass out through the other (= ignore)
2. Receive the information in one ear and move it up in the brain and keep it there (= Thinkover and pending decision)
3. Receive the information in one ear and move it downwards and keep it in the heart/stomach (= No Decision, No communication)
4. Receive the information in one ear and bring out the decision in the mouth (=Say Decision Yes / No)

The first three is easy for me as of now w.r.t. Pichhavaram trip.

Pichhavaram looks attractive, let me process it first with the second method for some time.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 5th August 2010 at 12:17.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:34   #77
v&v
Senior - BHPian

@StarVegabond - "@V&V : in fact that is what i refer my wife and daughter as when i write a common e-mail to them. only difference is i use V&v to differentiate among them."

Nice one.
Nice way to narrate the log. Keep it coming.

@laluks - Post processing of photos are outstanding. What software are you using? Also from 2.20 Am to 11.30 Pm almost 21hrs, hats off guys.

Last edited by v&v : 5th August 2010 at 12:37.
Old 5th August 2010, 12:45   #78
BHPian

Mahabalipuram is an amazing place and the drive on ECR is too cool... The pics posted here are very nice...Specially the temple pics...Kudos!!
Old 5th August 2010, 13:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Typically i practice 4 different ways of listening...
2. Receive the information in one ear and move it up in the brain and keep it there (= Thinkover and pending decision)
4. Receive the information in one ear and bring out the decision in the mouth (=Say Decision Yes / No)
The first three is easy for me as of now w.r.t. Pichhavaram trip.
Pichhavaram looks attractive, let me process it first with the second method for some time.
Good Lord!
I am happy it is atleast the 2nd way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
@laluks - Post processing of photos are outstanding. What software are you using? Also from 2.20 Am to 11.30 Pm almost 21hrs, hats off guys.
Thanks v&V. I've sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
Mahabalipuram is an amazing place and the drive on ECR is too cool... The pics posted here are very nice...Specially the temple pics...Kudos!!
Thanks Crankshaft
Old 5th August 2010, 14:44   #80
Senior - BHPian

While we wait for Lalu's night shot images, let me share some information about Bunglow on the Beach, we were were staying for the night.

Bunglow on the Beach, a name what we marketeers call it as instant recall of the value proposition. It is simple, a bunglow on the beach.

This building was used as Collector's Bunglow in 1845 during the british rule. Then it was bought by this family of Vallaiya Nadar, Then it was bought by Taj Coramandal group in 1990. In nov 2002, Hotel Neemrana Pvt Ltd bought this totally ruined building and renovated it without harming the old architectural beauty. Now it is functioning well as a beautiful hotel with all the facilities so as to attract all foreign tourists. This is the biggest building in Tranquebar town.

I have attached here some images from the book kept in the room.

These two the images of the Bunglow on the beach and its branch called Gate House.

Images of Bunglow on the Beach from the book
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-bunglow-beach-1.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-bunglow-beach-2.jpg

Images of the Gatehouse (=located near the gate of the Tranquebar town)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-gate-house-1.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-gate-house-2.jpg

both are being operated by the same hotel chain. the people who stay at Gate house need to come over for food to the Bunglow on the Beach.

In my view this is a great place to enjoy a quiet life for couple of days, to read a novel/book without any hurry. If one is looking for activies, this place alone does not even survive one full day. if we combine the nearby areas the way HVK mentioend we can stretch by another day.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 5th August 2010 at 14:56.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

Some basic information about Tranquebar
----------------------------------------

Tranquebar, historically known as Tarangambadi, the land of singing waves.

Under the rule of tanjavore king, it was an attractive international port for centuries, attracting Muslim traders, German theologians and missionaries, Moravian entrepreneurs and the Danish East India Company.

Histroy of this place dates back to as early as 12th century when the Temple on the beach was built, in 14th century Muslim traders from arab countries landed here, followed by Danish Traders in 16th century, Roman Catholic Christians in early 17th century and later on by British East India COmpany in 19th Century.

In 1620 the name got changed to Tranquebar and in 1986 the old name Tharangambadi was restored. This place was the district HQ under the Danish and British rule, In Independent India, it became a taluk and continue to be part of Nagapattinam district

Tranquebar holds a pride place in Indian history for the harmonious co-existance of Hindus, Muslims and Christians for several centuries.

Source : Reminiscences of Tranquebar, a book which we bought at Danish fort.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 5th August 2010 at 16:47.
Old 5th August 2010, 18:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

Tranquebar

Here goes some night images, I was too much Ozonised, so I plead guilty.

The First view of the Danish Fort
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100731_11281.jpg

An illustration of the moment
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-11281.jpg

Some random shots

Sea and the sky
Name:  20100731_11241.JPG
Views: 1126
Size:  78.1 KB

Trying to get that Star Effect sitting next to another Star
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100731_11311.jpg

Bungalow on the Beach in the night
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100731_11331.jpg

The team calling it a day. Time was 11:00PM, which makes the day 21 hours for today. Walking back from the beach to the resort.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100731_11411.jpg
Old 5th August 2010, 18:57   #83
Senior - BHPian

Tranquebar

I vaguely remember my Sr. PPG calling me - "Wake up, Wake up we are going to click the rising sun photoghraphs. We are waiting for you". I was too lazy to get up and told her go ahead and shoot some and let me sleep. She annoyingly pushed me and joined Star and his friend for an early morning rising sun photography at the beach.

A little later guilt of not joining them as promised did not let me sleep. But again too lazy to get up. Rolled on the bed for some more time and got up.

By this time Star was some where on the beach taking the rising Sun. I was in no mood to walk to the beach. Lazily picked up the camera and went near the pool. Pulled a chair and sat there. Enjoyed the colours on the horizon for a while. Clicked the already risen Sun for fun.

The Rising Sun
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04901.jpg

While panning through the Camera, found Star and the team far way.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04911.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04921.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04931.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04941.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04971.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04991.jpg

Fishermen already out to make a good catch for the day
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04951.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_04961.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_05001.jpg
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20100801_05031.jpg

Sat there looking into the horizon, and again dozed off for a while.
Old 5th August 2010, 19:17   #84
Senior - BHPian

We were not sure what time would be the sun rise, we had set the alarm for 5:30 AM. By the time i woke up watch was showing 5:43, The light was already bright outside.

i stepped out of the room, i saw Sr. PPG already awake and siting on the armchair in the varandah.

I saw this scenary, I thought sun has already risen and is behind the clouds.
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-01-some-time-around-5.45am.jpg

I thought we missed the sun rise, i was very disappointed that we came this long for the sun rise and we had missed it, probably by few minutes.

Then i called my bombaiwala friend, he also came out, now we were group of three people who were disappointed. I asked Sr. PPG to wake up her father, she went in and came out alone.

We decide to take a brief walk and take pictures, so three of us stepped out. What we saw can not be explained in words, so i will let the pictures speak for themselves.

Disclaimer: My pictures do not justify the spectacle which we saw, it is recommended that you go to tranquebar and witness it yourself.

Dear Lalu, these initial pictures are for you. if you would not have taken the initiative to invite me, it was not possible for me witness this wonderful event.

Sun is a great painter, no doubt about it
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-02-sun-great-painter..no-doubt.jpg

The monument we saw at the night
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-07-monument-we-saw-night.jpg

Fishing boats already at work
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-03-fishing-boats-already-work.jpg

Fort Dansborg proudly standing since 300 years
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-04-fort-dansborg-proudly-facing-sea-since-300-years.jpg

View of the bunglow on the beach from the brick jetty
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-05-view-bunglow-beach.jpg

View of the fort from the brick jetty
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-06-view-fort-brick-jetty.jpg

View of the 13th century temple
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-21-view-13th-century-temple.jpg

Morning blues (i have not done any modifications here)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-08-morning-blues.jpg

Mother earth provide corus to the sun
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-09-mother-earth-provides-corus.jpg

Sr. PPG admiring the beauty
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-10-sr-ppg-admiring-beauty.jpg

The rock jetty (apologies, this was over exposed due to some setting error)
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-11-rock-jetty.jpg

We were disappointed that we missed the sun rise
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-12we-were-disappointed-we-missed-sunrise.jpg

But no !!!!... just then it begins
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-13-just-then-happens..sun-rise.jpg

Hues change every minute/second
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-14-hues-change-every-minute.jpg

Sun is out of the bed
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-15-sun-out-bed.jpg

Suprabhaat..rise Sun rise
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-16-rise-sun-rise.jpg

Some more amazing hues...
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-17-amazing-hues.jpg

Sun .. a Golden STAR
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-18-golden-sun.jpg

View of the Fort and the Bunglow from the rock jetty
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-19-fort-bob.jpg

Portrait of a Bunglow
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-20-portrait-bunglow.jpg

Portrait of a Fort
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-22-portrait-fort.jpg

some boys were engaged in fishing, they started collecting thier first catch of the day

Double Mazaa.. for catching a fish and for getting photographed
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-23-double-mazaa-catching-fish-getting-photographed.jpg

The Fish, he too seems to be zaaped
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-24-fish.jpg

Sr. PPG with freshly caught fish
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-25-sr-ppg-freshly-caught-fish.jpg

This picture does not justify the actual scene
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-26-picture-does-not-justify-view.jpg

We head back towards the bunglow
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-27-we-head-back-towards-bob.jpg

Temple from different sides..
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-28-temple-different-sides.jpg

Presiding diety of this Temple is Mani Varneeswarar Masilla Nathar. This temple was built by a king named Maravarman Kulasekara Pandyan in 1305 AD. This temple originally had 3 mandapams out of which two have been completely swallowed by sea. The Temple copntained rich pieces of the architectural works and epigraphs which have fallen prey to the ferocious tides. What remains today is the innermost mandapam, a tottering structure in a precarious condition.

View of the rocky bed near the temple side
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-29-view-rock-bed-near-temple.jpg

A different view of the SUN
Civic & City : Celebrating the Friendship Day Mahabalipuram - Tranquebar - Velankanni-30-different-view.jpg

In the mean time Lalu had already stepped out and was taking the pictures, let us see what he has in store for us

Can he make the SUN rise again ?

EDIT : Just now noticed, he has already posted his SUN rise pictures, I am sure if given a choice (& roads were better) he would go back again to Bunglow on the beach and make the sun rise again.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 5th August 2010 at 19:37.
Old 5th August 2010, 19:27   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Dear Lalu, these initial pictures are for you. if you would not have taken the initiative to invite me, it was not possible for me witness this wonderful event.

In the mean time Lalu had already stepped out and was taking the pictures, let us see what he has in store for us

Can he make the SUN rise again ?

EDIT : Just now noticed, he has already posted his SUN rise pictures, I am sure if given a choice (& roads were better) he would go back again to Bunglow on the beach and make the sun rise again.
Dear Star, amazing pictures of the sun rise. I was just too lazy that day. Remember me sitting next to the breakfast counter, that I need not walk
Old 5th August 2010, 20:21   #86
Senior - BHPian

The Bungalow on the Beach

The Bungalow on the Beach

Name:  BOB1.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  326.0 KB

This was one amazing place. I wish I'd been there for more days lazing through some novels, uncared about whatever happens in the world. Time stands still here. Nicely restored, and a wonderful ambience. My only wish is that they had a helipad, but then where do I have a birdie. I simply love this place
Old 5th August 2010, 20:33   #87
MX6
Senior - BHPian

KS. Can you also pm me about the software. I find your photos jarring at times. But then I'm intrigued. It is an art form and slowly it grows on you. I'd also like to know about the s/w and try that tone mapping.

And amazing sun rise photos. BTW, are you using the UV filters? Also have CPL which will cut out internal reflections and refractions and make the sky and water bluer. UV filters cut out ultra violets.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:38   #88
Senior - BHPian

Laluks & StarVegabond,

Guys thank you for the above two posts, spectacular is too simple a word to express my feelings.

Nature is amazing and surprises you when you least expect it. The aura of the celestial star making the terrestrial star & his party believe that it is already up and then voila surprise! What amazing shades of blue and then yellow-ochre/orange. Eagerly looking forward to the next posts.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:48   #89
BHPian

Star: this is the first time I am seeing a sun rise from the water level. All the time I have seen at a little higher coming out of cloud :(

Thanks for sharing.
Old 5th August 2010, 21:33   #90
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Arindam,
TN coast offers some of the best sun rises. TN is cursed with very less rains. So most often it's barren skies (except when you go down to Nellai -kanyakumari sides).

Most Viewed