Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 15:34   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Walking on the coral reefs seems like fun from far away, but it sure isn't

The tide is coming back in...
excellent photos! I loved the teeny weeny octopus. The dead coral especially can leave some deep gashes in your feet. We visited Narara in January 2010 and started pretty early, around 7AM. So, the sun didnt bother us much.

I remember the tide coming back and FAST it came. We had to scurry to dry land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The program was about quicksand formation as the tide moves out. Does such a risk exist here?
I guess so. Our guide asked us to not set foot in specific areas quoting 'naram' sand. That i guess was the slushy/quicksand area.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:39   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...about quicksand formation as the tide moves out. Does such a risk exist here?
None that we were warned about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Is the guard of the light house alone there? He must be having Titanic Effect during tides.
LOL. Didn't ask him!
Quote:
I see a small anchor (was that of the boat you used?)
Yes, that's our boat anchor.
Quote:
a tyre (whats the tyre doing there?)
No, I did not take my car there and lose a tyre. Nor did I find any of our inveterate OTR folks having an outing there!

But seriously, that's what pollution is about!
Quote:
and a huge container ship passing nearby. (does the sea level drop suddenly?).
Yes. The reefs are on a continental shelf that extend for some kilometres, then drop off sharply. However, the pics appear deceptive - the ship is quite a few km away in reality.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2010, 15:40   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Here's where we were walking on the sea bed just a few hours ago.

And the boatman with his foot on the accelerator. Really!

That's pretty much all the pics I had from Pirotan Island.
The accelerator pic is too good. Quite a contraption there! Watching the tidal movements can be quite amazing. From the roof top of my inlaws house in Sikka, we can very easily see how the sea gulps up the land and vomits it back in a few hours - will post some of the pics. I used to do that for hours in our holidays while wifey and MIL used to gossip (ofcourse about the soaps) and cook food (SLURP!) for me.

Nice pics SST! My next trip to GJ and i will surely cover Pirotan and Narara Bet again. This time wil try to have a DSLR.

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 5th August 2010 at 15:43.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:46   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is Rushikulya River in Ganjam District in Orissa. It forms a delta there. It is the only other place than Mexico in the world where OG Ridley Turtles breed.
Correction: The Olive Ridley come to Chennai as well.
Student's Sea Turtle Conservation Network (SSTCN), Chennai | Facebook

Students’ Sea Turtle Conservation Network
Quote:
The Students Sea Turtle Conservation Network [SSTCN] is a voluntary group, mainly comprising of students who have been working in the beaches of Chennai since 1987, trying to conserve and create awareness about the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtle [Lepidochelys Olivacea].
I used to walk along throughout my college life. 8 odd kms by the beach in the middle of the night.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:55   #50
BHPian

ExtremeTorque and SS-Traveller, The pictures and Narration is very good. The pictures you have got speak volumes about the marine life there. This place for sure is on my “Places to Visit” list now.

SS, you mentioned about the accelerator but forgot to mention about the steering assembly.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Correction: The Olive Ridley come to Chennai as well.
Student's Sea Turtle Conservation Network (SSTCN), Chennai | Facebook

Students’ Sea Turtle Conservation Network

I used to walk along throughout my college life. 8 odd kms by the beach in the middle of the night.
Thanks for the info. The info was given by a Self Style guide. I should have known better.

Anyways, as I searched on the net, I found there are few breeding places - the major places are mexico and orissa (about 6,00,000 spotted in 1991). I dont know how they counted. Source : Wikipedia

I dont know about Chennai, but in Orissa its very difficult to walk in the night for fear of stepping on them. They are so many in number.
Old 5th August 2010, 16:24   #52
BHPian

Thank you, TB. Me and my colleague have already started planning for the Olive Ridley spectacle. we plan to cover Gopalpur/Ganjam, Chilka and Puri in that trip.
Old 5th August 2010, 17:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Thank you, TB. Me and my colleague have already started planning for the Olive Ridley spectacle. we plan to cover Gopalpur/Ganjam, Chilka and Puri in that trip.
My pleasure ET. Few things I would like to add:

1. The visit can be in two parts. Like I said before, in late Dec to spot the adults and second part in Feb/Mar to spot the young ones making it to sea/river.

2. There is no fixed date. The turtles seem to sense the right weather. So, its better if you keep tuned to the news/ people out there. They can tell you as the first ones are seen (adults) and you can leave for the trip. In 2-3 days the place will be full.

3. For spotting babies, its approx 2 months after the hatching. So, you need to know the time of arrival of adults.

4. The babies are best spotted at night. They come out of eggs at night.

5. There were some boats there to give you ride. The water is extremely clear. You can even walk as the water initially is not very deep.

6. Carry a good camera.

7. The turn for the spot at the Vizag-Berhampur-Bhubaneshwar highway can easily be missed. There used to be a very faint board on left side as you come from vizag. About 25km from Berhampur.

8. There is a road to a near village and then there is nothing. Needs a walk of more than a km. The village itself is about 2-3 kms from highway. The route is confusing. You make like to reach there in late afternoon.
Old 5th August 2010, 17:57   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
SS, you mentioned about the accelerator but forgot to mention about the steering assembly.
Oh that's just your run-of-the-mill rudder! No steering wheel there.
Quote:
The turn for the spot at the Vizag-Berhampur-Bhubaneshwar highway can easily be missed. There used to be a very faint board on left side as you come from vizag. About 25km from Berhampur.
As seen in June 2010, there is a very prominent board indicating that turn-off.
Old 5th August 2010, 20:40   #55
BHPian

Awesome trip! great photographs. This has been on my list for a while, but always got postponed. Now that I've been inspired by you, let me plan the trip.
Old 6th August 2010, 10:39   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
When are you planning to do this trip.?
Please let me know.

Betw:Great pics ExtremeTorque and write up too.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:26   #57
BHPian

Quote:
My pleasure ET. Few things I would like to add:
That is a comprehensive list! Thanks much TB. I take it that you are the expert around these parts. I will surely keep you in loop about my travel plans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamrei View Post
Awesome trip! great photographs. This has been on my list for a while, but always got postponed. Now that I've been inspired by you, let me plan the trip.
llamrei, thank you. Let me know when you are planning and i can help you out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
When are you planning to do this trip.?
Please let me know.

Betw:Great pics ExtremeTorque and write up too.
Thanks SW. I am now in a fix, as i want to combine both the Olive Ridley spectacle and Chilka lake bird viewing. The best time for birds in Chilka is Oct and the Olive Ridleys is Dec/Jan/Feb.
I will keep you in the loop about my travel plans and you can join in. 'ek se bhale do pariwar'
Old 8th August 2010, 13:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

wow,
so much info about this amazing place.

Now, i am confused, should i add this destination in my coming Dwarka visit?
Old 8th August 2010, 16:15   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Now, i am confused, should i add this destination in my coming Dwarka visit?
You absolutely should. If you can't time your visit with the tides to visit Pirotan, at least go to Narara.
Old 8th August 2010, 17:58   #60
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The tides go high and low in 12 hours. So if you check with the officials about the tides in Pirotan when you arrive in Dwarka, you can plan pirotan accordingly.
MX6 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed