Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2010, 21:28   #16
BHPian

Thanks guys

@sami: Lansdowne is a British establishment. also headquarter of gharwal rifles is there. I personally feel that it is good to be little unknown. Otherwise it would have lost it's charm in crowds.

@Crank: the photos don't justify it's beauty. The feeling of mist coming down and hitting our faces cannot be described in words. We'd be imagining how cool it would be with girlfriend sitting side by side...
Old 12th August 2010, 22:19   #17
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Excellent stuff there Hridayjyoti. Fantastic photos as well.
Old 16th August 2010, 10:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great pics Hriday.!
Am definitely going to Lansdowne for my next trip.
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Excellent stuff there Hridayjyoti. Fantastic photos as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Great pics Hriday.!
Am definitely going to Lansdowne for my next trip.
Thanks a lot. Even I will do it again sometime down the line.
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:33   #20
BHPian

Landsdowne, named after a British viceroy is in the Garhwal division of Uttarakhand (the other division being Kumaon). Landsdowne is in the Pauri Garhwal district.

Uttarakhand is one terrific mountainous ( as opposed to hilly) destination, with offerings for both the nature lover ( right from Naukuchiatal, the Corbett National Park, the Pindari glacier, Valley of Flowers and so on) and the devout ( it is devbhoomi, Char Dham and so on).

There is nothing to compare with Uttarakhand when it comes to nature and the divine. The only mundane disincentive being the quality of the infrastructure, especially hotels/resorts as compared to more developed regions of India such as Goa/Maharashtra.

Regards
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:49   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the information- Hridayjyoti and issigonis. This is already in my really long wishlist.
Old 25th August 2010, 17:57   #22
BHPian

@hridajyoti:

Oak Grove is the best... Specially Col Rawat & Mrs. Rawat.. Their hospitable nature and the freshly homemade food. Worth the drive.

Thanks for posting pics of Archi, wasn't carrying a camera last time so couldn't click pics.

I will soon be going back there in end of sept.
Old 4th September 2010, 17:39   #23
BHPian

GPS logs

Finally I managed to take out the GPS log from Delhi to Lansdowne.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 791162.gpx (244.1 KB, 518 views)
Old 5th September 2010, 00:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Pleasantly surprised to see the roads of NH119 in such good condition, after knowing how bad some interior UP roads can be!

Are there bypasses for Meerut & Bijnore towns?

Did you hear about the condition of the road further north to Pauri & Srinagar (on the Rishikesh-Badrinath road)?

You mentioned that you wanted to return via Haridwar - won't that have been a much longer route?
Old 5th September 2010, 11:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pics, @hridayjyoti. I loved those with a misty background.

Darn---why aren't there such places in the vicinity of Hyderabad? It would really be a stress buster to have a quick weekend getaway.

You've got a good F.E. of 12.5 on your trip, despite the hilly terrain and the car being fully loaded. How was your driving experience? I know that the 1.6 Fiesta is great to drive on twisted roads.
Old 8th September 2010, 21:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Pleasantly surprised to see the roads of NH119 in such good condition, after knowing how bad some interior UP roads can be!

Are there bypasses for Meerut & Bijnore towns?
Did you hear about the condition of the road further north to Pauri & Srinagar (on the Rishikesh-Badrinath road)?

You mentioned that you wanted to return via Haridwar - won't that have been a much longer route?[/quote]

hvk sir, sorry for late reply, I was out for a drive to Nainital and Binsar. Just got back yesterday night.

Yes, it was a pleasent surprise to see beautifully pitched road after crossing Meerut. There is no bypass in Meerut, but there is road which diverts the town and hit the Meerut Bypass to Haridwar. we avoided this road as we don't know the road condition and I didn't want to scrap the car's bottom again.

Quote:
I don't know the current road condition. In Oct 2008 I went to Chopta-Tungnath for trekking (this road diverts from Rishikesh-Badrinath road at Rudraprayag). The road condition was quite good, but it's always difficult to predict Lower Himalyan road for landslides.

Road Condition
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-100_2040.jpg

Road Widening
Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-100_2048.jpg
Quote:
You mentioned that you wanted to return via Haridwar - won't that have been a much longer route?
I didn't want to return via Haridwar. But, at Najibabad the NH119 to Meerut is closed due to a construction of Flyover. One has to take the NH74 to Hardwar then take a left diversion to hit the NH-119. I am attaching the GPS traces to make it clear.

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-route-map.jpg

Lansdowne: Frustration diluted in the midst of Mist-railway-crossing-construction.jpg
Old 8th September 2010, 21:17   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Lovely pics, @hridayjyoti. I loved those with a misty background.

Darn---why aren't there such places in the vicinity of Hyderabad? It would really be a stress buster to have a quick weekend getaway.

You've got a good F.E. of 12.5 on your trip, despite the hilly terrain and the car being fully loaded. How was your driving experience? I know that the 1.6 Fiesta is great to drive on twisted roads.
Thanks I would say it's Incredible India, every place has got it's own charm.

I love driving in hilly roads and Fiesta makes it better. Never felt out of control, only problem is low ground clearance. I am just back form another drive from Nainital and Binsar, total 900kms and of that 300kms hily drive still managed FE of 12km. A travelogue with more details coming soon!!!
Old 8th September 2010, 21:31   #28
BHPian

Super cool drive.
Check out the next part of melghat here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-i-come.html

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 9th September 2010, 17:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridayjyoti View Post

Why do pictures get pixelated so much? I've noticed that in most of the travelogues they do (usually the dark ones). Any solution to this or would dark pics always get pixelated while uploading?
Old 9th September 2010, 18:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Super cool drive.
Check out the next part of melghat here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...re-i-come.html

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
thanks abheekda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post

Why do pictures get pixelated so much? I've noticed that in most of the travelogues they do (usually the dark ones). Any solution to this or would dark pics always get pixelated while uploading?
the pictures need to be less than 1mb to upload. In general, most the photos are around 4-10mbs. So, one needs to reduce the resolution and quality of the pictures resulting in pixelate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks