Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 15:46   #1
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way

This log is very much delayed. I went on a trip in the middle of June. It's been almost 2 months. But nevertheless, it's still green in my memory.

My first thanks to LDL. His snaps of a river and a temple nearby made me want to go.
My second thanks to HVK. He asked me to take a conventional route. I planned that way. But then there's a person who has tormented shiva even. When he called, we had to pass through his gates. So I changed the route and was delighted with that. Nevertheless thanks to HVK, because he's one person always willing to give advices.

It all began in second week of June. My wife went to chennai with my daughter for a week. I was feeling bored alone so asked my parents about a drive to visit some temples.

My father always loses the vote 2 to 1. My mother never says no to any trip. We set out early morning on a saturday.

There was no plans made. I didn't find out any place to stay or book in advance. It was simple. We get in and drive. Only the route was decided before hand. Further, since my wife wasn't with me, I took photos only when I stopped and where it was allowed. The good news is that I carried my DSLR. Bad news is that there are no photos of the excellent roads.

It all started over a conversation I had with some people in Sringeri Sharada mutt at Kothrud the week before!
Old 10th August 2010, 16:42   #2
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The week before.

Him: Saturday is Shani Jayanti. We are having puja here in the temple. Why don't you all come?
Me: I'm planning to take my parents to these places. We are planning to leave on Saturday.

It set me thinking. HVK said take the Nasik route. Now why not tr5y this?

So we were off on saturday early morning. 6 am we pulled out of our house (Saturday my father had to do something after day break. so we couldn't leave earlier).

Nagar road was a breeze. Soon I was gently moving at 90 - 100.
8 am, we reached Shani Shingnapur.

There are two roads that lead to Shani Shingnapur from the highway. We decided to take the first.
Next 1 hour we moved around 3 kms. With people flocking to shanishingnapur on his birthday, it was damn crowded.
Police had put barricades from over 3 - 4 kms away from the village. All cars had to be stopped outside on the road (which incidentally goes to shirdi from there).
We found a nice place (on a bridge actually) and parked the car there and started walking. A bit ahead, we found share autos doing the trip from the barricades till the village and back. One way they charged 10 bucks a head.

The crowd was enormous. So we grabbed a quick darshan from a place where we could see Shani mounted on a platform.

Since I've stated so much stories about so many temples, I'm going to keep this very crisp.

Men after a bath dripping wet
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-shingnapur.jpg

While they can climb the platform and pour oil on shani, women can just see him and come back
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-shani-temple.jpg

Look close you can see Shani dev.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-shani-deva.jpg

We'd lost almost 4 hours in trying to enter shani shingnapur, get his darshan etc.
So we decided to drive next to what is touted as the last of the Jyotirlingas - Grishnesham Shivalaye.

Last edited by MX6 : 10th August 2010 at 16:47.
Old 10th August 2010, 16:55   #3
BHPian

For a moment i read the title as "Went in search of Shiva - Found him a block away" . One lucky Chap

Jokes apart, glued to this one. Keep going MX6!

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th August 2010 at 17:46. Reason: Please dont post in all bold. Thanks.
Old 10th August 2010, 17:24   #4
BHPian

Hm.. so this was the trip that you undertook during that time. And the TL is rolling up after two months, obviously, as you were busy teaching history lessons out here!

Thanks for appreciating me, but, it must have been because of the petrol-head in you that this trip (as several others) could have materialized!

Curious to see your opinion/experiences at Omkareswar.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

You are a lucky person, you found Shiva blocking your way, where as people for thousands of years are in quest of Shiva and have not yet found him.

i am very much interested to see him.
Old 10th August 2010, 18:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
You are a lucky person, you found Shiva blocking your way, where as people for thousands of years are in quest of Shiva and have not yet found him.

Since he blocked the way, I get the feel also may be a petrol head
Old 10th August 2010, 18:50   #7

for a moment I thought u came searching for me :-) and i wasn't amazed to know that I blocked your way into it. Waiting for more log mate.
Old 10th August 2010, 19:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Definitely an intriguing title to your TL. Waiting for more details to unfold
Old 10th August 2010, 19:56   #9
Joy
BHPian

Very unique title indeed. Eagerly, waiting for more. Please continue asap.
Old 10th August 2010, 20:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

@MX6 - Hmm...good now I can get some glimpses on Sringeri Mutt & Jyotirlingas - Grishnesham Shivalaye. Your DSLR is doing a good job MX6. What make? Nikon or Canon?
Old 10th August 2010, 21:09   #11
BHPian

Thats an interesting title MX6...Iam hooked to this thread and eagerly waiting for the further updates
Old 10th August 2010, 21:22   #12
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
For a moment i read the title as "Went in search of Shiva - Found him a block away" . One lucky Chap

Jokes apart, glued to this one. Keep going MX6!
Wish it's that easy. But I'm a relentless traveller. Ultimate trip I have in mind is to go on a Kailas Mansarovar Yatra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Hm.. so this was the trip that you undertook during that time. And the TL is rolling up after two months, obviously, as you were busy teaching history lessons out here!

Thanks for appreciating me, but, it must have been because of the petrol-head in you that this trip (as several others) could have materialized!

Curious to see your opinion/experiences at Omkareswar.
You should let the cat out of the bag. Anyway, there are many kittens in here . But trust me, it's your photos that grabbed my attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

I'm very lucky. It's a very interesting story as to how I managed to - well we shall see that when we get there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since he blocked the way, I get the feel also may be a petrol head
He's more of a water head with Ganges flowing out and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva_shaan_5 View Post
for a moment I thought u came searching for me :-) and i wasn't amazed to know that I blocked your way into it. Waiting for more log mate.
More will unfold here. Shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Definitely an intriguing title to your TL. Waiting for more details to unfold
Yes Deky. And it is very interesting part as well! More details will unfold. But unlike my mega logs, this would be short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Very unique title indeed. Eagerly, waiting for more. Please continue asap.
Sure Joy. Watch this space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@MX6 - Hmm...good now I can get some glimpses on Sringeri Mutt & Jyotirlingas - Grishnesham Shivalaye. Your DSLR is doing a good job MX6. What make? Nikon or Canon?
Not the Sringeri mutt of Kothrud. I've not taken photos there! But yes, you will get to see the photos of the jyotirlingas which I visited in this trip.

Here's one photo which I took in 2000. Nothing to do with this thread. But one of the magnificent temples in Modern India.
Saurashtre Somanatham!
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-saurashtre-somanatham.jpg
Old 10th August 2010, 22:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mx6, start posting quick!! So many posts and only discussions. We need story and pic.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:34   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Enroute I found a nice little dhaba place and stopped for late breakfast. We were too hungry. After three plates of poha, it was destination Grishneshwar.

Road to Grishneshwar was a belter. It's enroute to Ellora. My garmin + satguide was bang on target. Showed me every turn like a charm. It had Grishneshwar in it's POI. I blindly followed it step by step and was amazed at it's accuracy. Every turn, curve, intersection was beautifully shown there. Finally I reached the spot which said Grishneshwar temple, only to find that it's a mosque close to Aurangazeb's grave. Way to go Satnav.

But the view from up there was amazing and I spotted a couple of temples down the ghats from up above there. One of them had to be grishneshwar. 10 more minutes I was there at actual grishneshwar and marked that as a way point and added to favourites.

Grishneshwar temple was built by the great Ahilyabai Holkar. Skipping the historical facts here both about the temple as well as Holkar.

I found a nice place under a tree to park my car in the sweltering heat! The stones on the ground where we stood was boiling, peeling the skin off our feet. Luckily, there wasn't much queue, so we managed to get in to the temple quickly.

Cameras were not allowed. So here's what I managed from outside climbing on trees, walking amidst thorny bushes, and above all, filth and unmentionables that were all around the temple.

Intricately carved sculptures
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-grishneshwar-1.jpg

Climbing trees was fun to catch some views
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-grishneshwar-2.jpg

Apart from the 10 avataras, one can also find Ravana occupying prime slot in the temple. Afterall he was one of the biggest Shiva Bhakts
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-grishneshwar-3.jpg

Four corners of the temple we had this structure. I don't know why exactly.
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-grishneshwar-4.jpg

The shops that dot the periphery of the temple. Indians take the liberty in posing for unknown people. Bigger your camera gear, more the people pose. I used to feel frustrated and drive them out during the roll camera days, as it used to waste a photo. With the advent of digital era, I love taking photos of such people!
Went in search of Shiva - Found him blocking my way-grishneshwar-5.jpg

We came out of the temple around 2:30 or so and decided to proceed further as we had a late breakfast. Next stop would be for lunch. A very late lunch.

p.s. Hope sachin is happy now.
p.p.s. Exact timings, distance etc will come at the end when I post trip logs from my garmin. Request friends to bear with me till then.

Last edited by MX6 : 10th August 2010 at 22:36.
Old 10th August 2010, 22:37   #15
BHPian

Hey MX6,
Thats one innovative title you got there. I guess when he blocked your way, you took the other way.
Waiting for some more pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks