Team-BHP - Guwahati getaways: Pobitora
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Travelogues (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/)
-   -   Guwahati getaways: Pobitora (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/87165-guwahati-getaways-pobitora.html)

Well its a Sunday & Independence Day as well, add to it bandh call given by the many terror groups and what one gets is empty roads.

So i did not want to miss the opportunity and had got some food packed yesterday night itself.

But where i would go was not decided till i took the car out of the garage and drove a few minutes.

First let me add the snaps and details shall follow.

The Ginger picture is there cause that's where i got my today's lunch packed yesterday night.

The manager thought i was a guest and invited me to flag hoisting this morning. But i had other plans and his chowmein was good enough for me for the time being.

That was quite a drive into idyllic rural countryside. India looks like it has never changed!
Please don't forget to brief us about the route, timing/check post/ permit restrictions, etc too.

Pobitora is a mini Kaziranga of sort with lots of rhinos around. Now being the rainy season one does not see them easily as Brahmaputra flood water covers the surrounding.
I chose to visit the area today as its just an hours drive from city which would give me enough time to return early for taking wify and kido to inlaws in the evening.

There are two roads to Pobitora one through Khanapara - Sonapur and the other Narengi - Chandrapur. I went through Narengi enjoying the Brahmaputra flowing close by and returned through Sonapur.

On way was Digarughat, Kajoli Choki (Earstwhile Tai Ahom military cum navel base) and lot many places just to stop by. The road was good till the Pobitora tourism complex but beyond it lied a stretch that the Wagon R had to suffer grave injury.

I cursed myself for not going for the Gypsy last year. The road condition was such that there was no way to save the tiny car from getting hurt. Goom thud splash and i stooped the car to inspect the engine bay. Lesson learnt: Good ground clearence is a must in these parts.

@hvkumar

Thank you sir, it was never ending greenery and water all around. The forest guard even showed me two rhinos but it was just two white dots far away to the naked eye.

I will add road details tomorrow. I hope you have been able to locate Chandubi lake on panoramio/google maps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by San Phrangmung (Post 2027398)
Pobitora is a mini Kaziranga of sort with lots of rhinos around. Now being the rainy season one does not see them easily as Brahmaputra flood water covers the surrounding.
I chose to visit the area today as its just an hours drive from city which would give me enough time to return early for taking wify and kido to inlaws in the evening.

There are two roads to Pobitora one through Khanapara - Sonapur and the other Narengi - Chandrapur. I went through Narengi enjoying the Brahmaputra flowing close by and returned through Sonapur.

Did not know that Pobitora was open during the monsoons.
Given its rhino density, I would have thought you would have quite a few.

Pls. upload your tracks to OSM.

Regards
Sutripta

As @hvkumar said rural India remains the same even after all these years of being on our own.

Basic infrastrure like quality health and education are a far cry. On one hand there are the International schools whose children participate in Republic Day parade in New Delhi and here see the pictures of the schools.

This is not the India Gandhi wanted.

PS: The market in picture is the Digaru ghat hat.

The Digaru ghat hat reminded me of the weekly markets in Upper Assam tea gardens even though it was small in comparison.

One thing that was widely available here in Digaru ghat hat was dry fish which is not to be found easily in Guwahati.

Beautiful pictures. My mind has gone back to Guwahati days. Thanks san.clap:

Please include route details later.

Is the Prashaanti Tourist Lodge of Assam Tourism open in Pobitora??
Amy reviews on Assam Tourism lodges - how good are they, well-maintained?

Despite bandh and boycott call given by terror outfits, people celebrated Indepence Day in the areas i drove through.

Look at the school and office pictures, all have hoisted the Indian tricolour.

The daily market were open in most places outside city limits, even in Bonda just after crossing the Narengi roundabout and railway crossing.

The Indian Army has done a commandable job, the terror outfits are all but bad memories.

Jai Hind.

@ Joy

Thanks Joy, yes route map coming up. And i wish i could relive my Calcutta days. Radha Ballavi & dal, creamy mishti doi, plus momo, thukpas from inside the narrow lane near Jadu bazar.

@ hvkumar

The Prashanti branded Assam Tourism Development Corporation lodges are mostly run by private players these days and so are in decent condition. The one in Pobitora and Orang is run by Purvanchal Banijya Bikash Pvt Ltd (Guwahati). I will add the snaps of the Pobitora, Bhalukpong and Kaziranga facilities separately.

The ones that are government run are however not in a good shape but good enough for a night given their location. Government dak bunglow, Inspection bunglow, rest house, Circuit house type of facilities and condition mostly.

But the staff are always nice and helpful.

Another thing to remember is that in off season which is the hot & rainy days in Assam, the quality further goes down in both government run and private ones.

I dont remember how many bridges i crossed during the drive as the area was near to the Brahmaputra and the tributories were abound flowing from Meghalaya hills.

On way was one of the about 18 tower cum guard post of Pobitora where i met and spoke to some of the officials.

These batch of pictures are from Pobitora to Chamata, Sonapur national highway, Jorabat, Khanapara, GS Road, Ganeshguri, Bhangagarh.

Good road condition except while approaching the three bridge points.