Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 14:21   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadinc View Post
Thank you, all I can say is... I am going to live your dream
Wrong - I'm going to live my dream thru you.
Old 20th August 2010, 14:25   #32
BHPian

Wow man,
Roadinc you are truly unique bro. Others would only think of something like this in their dreams. But you on the other hand are living it up. Awesome man. I know it wont be a cakewalk but then again, you never wanted it to be one. I really liked your earlier reply to a question: wht is the point in doing the know? That sums it all I guess. My heartfelt wishes to you and I wish and pray that you do get what you have set out for. Insha Allah!!
Old 20th August 2010, 15:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But now that I've quit my 10 year old job and I’m on the road with just 10,000 bucks in my pocket and a ride that will go on and go....

It is Friday afternoon, let me try to reduce the balance from RS 10000/- he has in his pocket.

you have mentioned atlease 3 times till now that you have jsut RS 10000/- in your pocket. but you did not mention how much is in your bank account. i think that will keep you going.

that is very good travel kit you have there, you seems to be fully geared up to to further and beyond....

Last edited by StarVegabond : 20th August 2010 at 15:45.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

I was reading this travelogue and my friend tweets this: The Art of Non-Conformity Why You Should Quit Your Job and Travel around the World

Last edited by Jaguar : 20th August 2010 at 16:17.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:16   #35
BHPian

In the corporate world we say “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will do” and “if you don’t know where you are, no map will help” Of course, with lot of negative connotation attached to both the statement (telling people that they should know what they are doing and how much they have done), but this is a different ballgame altogether.

I will be looking forward to your updates.

Mountains as in?
Uttaranchal?
Himachal?
J&K?
I guess your answer would be, “lets see”

Brilliant, brave and determined. Congratulations.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:38   #36
BHPian

If this is true and u don't even have any plans for earning for living/roaming, then i should say you are bravest dude i have ever come across in my entire life. BTW, could you elaborate on support of your family in your decision?

I am sure you will have a plan b in case of an adversity and i wish god almighty shower you with all the blessings for your highway life.

After reading the whole blog iam still speech less and for the time being iam over and out!
Old 20th August 2010, 20:06   #37
BHPian

The Road My Home Forever...

Leaving behind rain clouds in Delhi, I headed for Chandigarh this morning.

The Road My Home Forever...-delhi-chandigarh-1.jpg

During the initial 25 kms (of the 250 kms) it poured but my wheels didn’t stop. The weather got better after that.

Made a quick stop for chai after 100 odd kms and then continued the ride further for another 50 kms. With just 100 kms to get to Chandigarh, a chai break was needed. And so I gave my body a stretch and my bullet some rest at Kurukshetra (Haryana) before we got on the highway again.

The Road My Home Forever...-delhi-chandigarh-3.jpg

Well, as much as you may not believe I just have 1,500 in my pocket now and nothing in my bank account. I quit my job after I repaid loans I’d taken for a mis-venture. The little money I had I used it for equipment and my bike repairs. The options to earn money on the road are plenty...give someone a ride, work in a dhaba, and so on. Suggestions are welcome. I have a tent so no problem about shelter it’s the food and fuel I need to work for.

Petrol costs Rs 57 a litre in Punjab, six bucks more than Delhi!!! There goes another chunk of my money... Hope in Chandigarh it’s cheaper. I’m already heading towards a dry run.

Its strange how helps comes from the most unexpected corners. Last year in November when I did a bike ride from Mumbai to Rajasthan with my girl, a young chap (in Udaipur) waved us down to stop. He was thrilled to see us on the bike and had many questions to ask as he was planning his first road trip. Well now after almost a year gone by he helped me get a couch in Chandigarh. So I’m at his friend’s place for the time I’m in Chandigarh. So this is life and this is how the road binds people

A friend from Bangalore was franticly trying to call to inform me about the weather and the roads being blocked after Chandigarh. Now that I’m in Chandigarh lets see what course the no road situation takes. As for me I’m heading to Himachal for now...
Roadinc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2010, 20:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
If this is true and u don't even have any plans for earning for living/roaming, then i should say you are bravest dude i have ever come across in my entire life. BTW, could you elaborate on support of your family in your decision?

I am sure you will have a plan b in case of an adversity and i wish god almighty shower you with all the blessings for your highway life.

After reading the whole blog iam still speech less and for the time being iam over and out!

I know i need to earn to keep moving, and there are some humble options. I have jumped into the sea now I either learn to swim or sink. I think i will take the first option.

I have been away from the family support system for a long time. And so I've support myself all along. All adversities come with a resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykaul View Post
In the corporate world we say “If you don’t know where you are going, any road will do” and “if you don’t know where you are, no map will help” Of course, with lot of negative connotation attached to both the statement (telling people that they should know what they are doing and how much they have done), but this is a different ballgame altogether.

I will be looking forward to your updates.

Mountains as in?
Uttaranchal?
Himachal?
J&K?
I guess your answer would be, “lets see”

Brilliant, brave and determined. Congratulations.
Thank You!!!... You've answered your own question

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
It is Friday afternoon, let me try to reduce the balance from RS 10000/- he has in his pocket.

you have mentioned atlease 3 times till now that you have jsut RS 10000/- in your pocket. but you did not mention how much is in your bank account. i think that will keep you going.

that is very good travel kit you have there, you seems to be fully geared up to to further and beyond....

Thanks!!! Its Friday evening and I just counting sitting in Chandigarh... and now its come down to Rs 1,500. By the way I have no balance in My account Hold your horses I'm finding a way to keep going...be apart for my journey through this travelogue, we both will know how I earn to move ahead.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Wow man,
Roadinc you are truly unique bro. Others would only think of something like this in their dreams. But you on the other hand are living it up. Awesome man. I know it wont be a cakewalk but then again, you never wanted it to be one. I really liked your earlier reply to a question: wht is the point in doing the know? That sums it all I guess. My heartfelt wishes to you and I wish and pray that you do get what you have set out for. Insha Allah!!

Thanks bro!!! Insha Allah, He will guide me. Happy Ramadhan. I had some great time near Jama Masjid in Delhi this time during the Ramadhan festivity (hope you saw the video).

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th September 2010 at 16:16. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 20th August 2010, 20:55   #39
BANNED

Quote:
The Uncertainty of the road...

But the wheels have to move on...

Attachment 409004
Excellent quote. My best wishes.

Cheers.
Old 20th August 2010, 20:55   #40
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Good going dude. I'm also following this. Like trueman show!
Only once in my life did I want to soar free, free of all bondage. Live for that day and not plan for future, nor think about past.
But then I got married. Now with a family, there's immense responsibility.
In a way, I'm ok with that too. Because as per doctrines of Hindu Dharma, one has to cross Grihastashrama before entering Sanyasa.
So the wandering monk phase of mine will have to wait till my wife's time is over. Can't take her on the road. Wouldn't know what the world will be like for women 40 odd years down the line.
But I have a relative, who's given up everything and has been a vagabond for over 50 years now. The last records of his existance is over 7 - 8 years back. He's truly cut off from all of us that we don't even know whether he's alive or not.
Old 21st August 2010, 23:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

I am speechless!! Sometimes I also want to break free from all the chaos of work, city life and roam freely. I think you are living my dream.

I am glued to this thread.

May Allah take care of you. My prayers are with you.
Old 22nd August 2010, 22:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Good going dude. I'm also following this. Like trueman show!
Only once in my life did I want to soar free, free of all bondage. Live for that day and not plan for future, nor think about past.
But then I got married. Now with a family, there's immense responsibility.
In a way, I'm ok with that too. Because as per doctrines of Hindu Dharma, one has to cross Grihastashrama before entering Sanyasa.
So the wandering monk phase of mine will have to wait till my wife's time is over. Can't take her on the road. Wouldn't know what the world will be like for women 40 odd years down the line.
But I have a relative, who's given up everything and has been a vagabond for over 50 years now. The last records of his existance is over 7 - 8 years back. He's truly cut off from all of us that we don't even know whether he's alive or not.

Your relative must be a happy and vibrant man.

Need to clarify, I am not going the sanyas way Since this is my chosen way of life, my Grihasti would also be on the move. Like I've mentioned earlier, my settlement is mobile.
Old 22nd August 2010, 23:05   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Your relative must be a happy and vibrant man.

Need to clarify, I am not going the sanyas way Since this is my chosen way of life, my Grihasti would also be on the move. Like I've mentioned earlier, my settlement is mobile.
Its absolutely ok with choosing a mobile life. But the problem is what will you do for your daily expenses. Some of the things which you may have to spend money are as follows.

a) Food
b) Stay
c) Your internet / Mobile
d) Vehicle maintanence
e) Petrol
f) Clothes

Rest is ok, but but what will you do for a living that too on a highway in alien ares..... I am sure this will be the concern for you as well as all the other folks who are following over here....

Best wishes
Sathya
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:52   #44
MX6
Senior - BHPian

a, b and f are perennial problems of 70% of Indians. Roti, Kapda aur Makaan. So he'll probably learn a few tricks from those who he'll meet on the roads.
Internet can be managed with a yearly plan paid in advance.
Now d/e should not be a problem for a t-bhpian! it will be the only thing they are here for
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Its absolutely ok with choosing a mobile life. But the problem is what will you do for your daily expenses. Some of the things which you may have to spend money are as follows.

a) Food
b) Stay
c) Your internet / Mobile
d) Vehicle maintanence
e) Petrol
f) Clothes

Rest is ok, but but what will you do for a living that too on a highway in alien ares..... I am sure this will be the concern for you as well as all the other folks who are following over here....

Best wishes
Sathya
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
a, b and f are perennial problems of 70% of Indians. Roti, Kapda aur Makaan. So he'll probably learn a few tricks from those who he'll meet on the roads.
Internet can be managed with a yearly plan paid in advance.
Now d/e should not be a problem for a t-bhpian! it will be the only thing they are here for

Orite People!!! Heres my take...

Sathya, thanks. You seem to understand my journey.

1. Have a tent so shelter not a problem. Couch surfing is an option, friends/acquaintances you meet during your travel also helps. For instance, in Delhi I stayed with a friend who i was introduced to by a couch surfer I hosted in my Mumbai apartment. In Chandigarh I'm staying with a bunch of guys who I'm meeting for the first time, know them through a guy i met on the Udaipur highway. (mentioned in my previous post). Well, On my way to Delhi when I left Mumbai one night I stayed in a dhaba in Ajmer. So stay no problem

2. Clothing - I believe in living a minimalistic life in any case. Like I've mentioned earlier I have been preparing for this over years. I buy only what I need. And that purchase happens when I manage to earn some money.

3. Food - in India you can get food for even 2 bucks. The road gives you a lot of options for food importantly, picking up petty jobs in a hotel or dhaba, stay at some village, work in a farm.

4. Fuel/bike repairs - Again work in a dhaba, freelance writing, getting a pillion on board from point A to B...options are plenty. More suggestions are welcome

5. Internet/mobile - My mobile bills are never high given that I prefer the internet medium to communicate. Internet and mobile aren't my worry simple because I can choose to rent my tent up in the mountains.

This journey does not involve a timeline or destination which allows me to stop at a place to earn my food and fuel for a period of time to move further.

Simply follow my worry free trail and you'll know what I mean when I say - The road, my home forever!
Roadinc is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed