Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 04:27   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadinc View Post
Orite People!!! Heres my take...

Sathya, thanks. You seem to understand my journey.

1. Have a tent so shelter not a problem. Couch surfing is an option, friends/acquaintances you meet during your travel also helps. For instance, in Delhi I stayed with a friend who i was introduced to by a couch surfer I hosted in my Mumbai apartment. In Chandigarh I'm staying with a bunch of guys who I'm meeting for the first time, know them through a guy i met on the Udaipur highway. (mentioned in my previous post). Well, On my way to Delhi when I left Mumbai one night I stayed in a dhaba in Ajmer. So stay no problem

2. Clothing - I believe in living a minimalistic life in any case. Like I've mentioned earlier I have been preparing for this over years. I buy only what I need. And that purchase happens when I manage to earn some money.

3. Food - in India you can get food for even 2 bucks. The road gives you a lot of options for food importantly, picking up petty jobs in a hotel or dhaba, stay at some village, work in a farm.

4. Fuel/bike repairs - Again work in a dhaba, freelance writing, getting a pillion on board from point A to B...options are plenty. More suggestions are welcome

5. Internet/mobile - My mobile bills are never high given that I prefer the internet medium to communicate. Internet and mobile aren't my worry simple because I can choose to rent my tent up in the mountains.

This journey does not involve a timeline or destination which allows me to stop at a place to earn my food and fuel for a period of time to move further.

Simply follow my worry free trail and you'll know what I mean when I say - The road, my home forever!
Man o Man this is some serious adventure.
Hats off to you I always wanted to do somethings like this in some corner of my mind, but frankly don't have the guts to do it.

This reminds me of the series Adventures of a Nobody. Where the host Leon would have to hitch a ride / ask people to stay / food etc.

Most refused but when a stranger ( a kind soul ) offers you a bed in his house / a ride in his car it makes the journey so much more special - takes it to a whole new level.

Em hocked to this thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 06:54   #47
Team-BHP Support

So the road always wins?
Very nice perspective. Waiting for more.
Old 23rd August 2010, 08:41   #48
BHPian

Hats off to your determination dude,

I am hooked on to this as others. Waiting for more. God Bless.
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:39   #49
BHPian

The Road My Home Forever...

The City Beautiful!

It’s been four days that I’ve been in Chandigarh and my gracious hosts (two guys) have given me a guided tour of the township. It has been an unusual experience given that I always prefer exploring a place alone. But like I always say…accept all that the road has to offer… this experience I have welcomed.

Name:  pic 4.jpg
Views: 4748
Size:  125.1 KB

While I was hoping to get a little lazy in the city where the heat was beating me down (in between rainfall) the boys had plans for me. And so….I followed. I have had some pleasant evenings meeting their friends. I even watched a Hindi flick Peepli Live, something I’ve always resisted and have many a times fought the mere idea. But what can I say, that’s what the road and the people you met during your journey can do to you.

The Road My Home Forever...-pic-7.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-pic-8.jpg

The City Beautiful does have a soothing effect being the only planned city in our country. Few stray dogs and no cattle patrolling the streets, that’s unlike most cities in India! I must confess I quite like this ‘city’ life. I love it when strangers walk up to you smiling. They always have something to strike a conversation. Most of them may come across as being loud but once you get chatty you know they are lively and happy.

The Road My Home Forever...-pic-9.jpg

Although I did visit the rose garden Zakir Gulab Bagh, named after India’s former President Dr. Zakir Hussain, I wasn’t much impressed. It is considered to be Asia’s largest rose garden (spread across 42 acres of land) and roses don’t seem to bloom!

What I did like and appreciate was the Rock Garden, Nek Chand’s vision – creating something meaningful from broken discarded items. And all this he did in secrecy for almost 18 years!!!

The Road My Home Forever...-pic-3.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-pic-14.jpg

Things a common man can do…it’s a wonder.

The Road My Home Forever...-pic-12.jpg

The Road My Home Forever...-pic-1.jpg

As of now I’m looking at work options in Chandigarh to earn my fuel. Any suggestions???

The Road My Home Forever...-pic-5.jpg
Roadinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:40   #50
BHPian

So far as I understand you've reached Chandigarh. Have you taken up any job yet, or made money some other way? Is this just a nomadic life or are you also cutting off from everything you know?
What would be interesting is if you could clue us in on the inside story on the places that you work. For example, if you are working in a gas station, do they mix kerosene? If so at what stage of the process and how?
Old 23rd August 2010, 20:21   #51
BHPian

Feels like the Che in 'Motorcycle Diaries' - but alone! I am not yet free like you - but then I am not yet 35 either
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:25   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
So far as I understand you've reached Chandigarh. Have you taken up any job yet, or made money some other way? Is this just a nomadic life or are you also cutting off from everything you know?
What would be interesting is if you could clue us in on the inside story on the places that you work. For example, if you are working in a gas station, do they mix kerosene? If so at what stage of the process and how?

Yes I am in Chandigarh and I have been discussing job options with the people I've met so far. Seems like something might work out. Will keep you posted on the developments on the job front.
Old 24th August 2010, 21:39   #53
BHPian

How about as a guide? You could try with some foriegners given the knowledge that you have of a good part of the country. Your tales and experiences should hold you in good stead.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:11   #54
BHPian

Good going dude.
Waiting for more updates in the days to come.
Old 24th August 2010, 23:20   #55
BHPian

Read this sometime back, just thought I'll share. Photographs are from my journey so far...

Life on Roads...
(Author unknown)

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8532.jpg

It walks, it runs, it races
And never seems to stop.
Through sand and waters
Tracks and trails
It jumps, it skips, it hops.

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8967.jpg

It watches masses and classes
It jostles for space, out and in
It accommodates every creature
Like a warm mother embraces
A favourite member of kin.

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8560.jpg

It works and celebrates
Goes to office and school
It’s a never stopping journey
Where everything is on the move.

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8922.jpg

It halts and waits for all and none
It moves with the grace of the rising sun
It keeps moving, rain or heat
It vibrates with one national beat.

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_9042.jpg

Whether it is man made beauty you seek
Or simply, blessings from the powers above
Experience many countries in one here
Get on the road to India…the Land of Love!

The Road My Home Forever...-dsc_8615.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
How about as a guide? You could try with some foriegners given the knowledge that you have of a good part of the country. Your tales and experiences should hold you in good stead.

hmmm, not a bad idea. worth a try!

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th August 2010 at 23:24. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 25th August 2010, 20:00   #56
BHPian

Little Joys of life!

I’ve often wondered what is it about swinging that makes everyone smile. A little kid wants to sit on that seat that take him high...a teenager wants to swing to feel speed... and grown ups want to swing to live a moment of their childhood.

I guess it’s the feeling of freedom...the cool breeze on your face...being up in the air...like as if kissing the clouds...Oh! The little joys of life...

This video is of a moment when I was observing people... old and young enjoying a swing in Rock Garden.

Old 26th August 2010, 21:06   #57
BHPian

My first article and I really have no words to express my feelings This shows people’s appreciation towards my way of life. And I’m proud that the article was covered in our national language!

The Road My Home Forever...-chandigarhs-city-life.jpg
Old 26th August 2010, 21:34   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I’ve often wondered what is it about swinging that makes everyone smile.
Like you've stated undirectly, it's got to be the feeling of freedom, where your worries are far away and you can reach for the stars. Could also be that it brings out the kid in us.

Quote:
My first article and I really have no words to express my feelings
Well, congratulations.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:50   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My first article and I really have no words to express my feelings This shows people’s appreciation towards my way of life. And I’m proud that the article was covered in our national language!
Congratulations, wish you many more such articles

Writing such articles could be a revenue stream for you.
Why don't you tie up with the magazines and write about your experienes on the move

Second, you may tie up with NDTV Good times and run a reality show about the person living on the road and continuously on the move.

Third, set up a blogging site and tie up with google for advertisement and revenue sharing from the visits/hits on the website.

there could be more revenue streams for you.

1. tie up with mobile phone operators for selling thier SIMcards, you could be a real mobile shop

2. you can gain some sponsorship from your bike brand which can take care of your bike maintenance issues

3. you may tie up with some OIL marketing companies, sport their logos while on travel, get some sponsorship money.

etc etc
Old 26th August 2010, 22:56   #60
BHPian

Those are really great suggestions given by StarVegabond. You should try it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks