Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2010, 10:53   #31
BHPian

Thanks for the nostalgia

Dear Sam & HVK,

Thank you guys for flooding me with a sense of nostalgia and great memories of the Towns/places of both Assam and arunachal where I have spent time or passed through during my long stint in the Army.

Makum, Tinsukia, Digboi, Margherita, Ledo and Jagun the last Assam town. Arunachal -Jairampur,Ledo, Tuting, Kibithu,Tezu, Along and the nameless villages-these were just names of places that had only one meaning-DUTY, I never saw them through the eyes of travel
Connoisseurs like HVK, Tsk1979 and the rest of the distinguished BHPians. But thanks sam-I love to go back and show my wife. She has seen Dibrugarh, Tinsukia, etc
Where does one get the ILP and can we get it throughout the year
HVK-how did you go to Kibithu?-the road was only upto Walong after that we used to walk regards
Col J H Mayne

Last edited by Judemayne : 19th August 2010 at 11:00. Reason: There appears to be some interjections like fonts brackets etc??
Old 19th August 2010, 10:54   #32
BHPian

Mr. HVK, sometimes I keep thinking what makes a man track condition of each and every road in the country; and each time I discover a new travelogue/track of yours, across some place in this country which very few have been; at least you have achieved something - you have seen this country in a way very few people have seen, and you are bringing it to light for a lot of other people. Kudos.

Sam, great start. Bring it on.

Last edited by manolin : 19th August 2010 at 10:55. Reason: minor
Old 19th August 2010, 11:01   #33
BHPian

He he you must come back once more to see the sunrise from Kibithoo itsef and take the to be compleated road beyond Dong to the Chinese post.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
Dear Sam & HVK,

Thank you guys for flooding me with a sense of nostalgia and great memories of the Towns/places of both Assam and arunachal where I have spent time or passed through during my long stint in the Army.

Makum, Tinsukia, Digboi, Margherita, Ledo and Jagun the last Assam town. Arunachal -Jairampur,Ledo, Tuting, Kibithu,Tezu, Along and the nameless villages-these were just names of places that had only one meaning-DUTY, I never saw them through the eyes of travel
Connoisseurs like HVK, Tsk1979 and the rest of the distinguished BHPians. But thanks sam-I love to go back and show my wife. She has seen Dibrugarh, Tinsukia, etc
HVK-how did you go to Kibithu?-the road was only upto Walong after that we used to walk regards
Col J H Mayne
Ilp can be made from the Arunachal liasion office at the Dibrugarh airport on weekdays except public holidays.

Thers no restriction but one better not come in the rainy season, Nov to Feb would be good.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:30   #35
BHPian

The golden triangle of India. Here China, India & Burma meets. Its from a 1984 SOI map.

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-san596.jpg
Old 19th August 2010, 11:46   #36
Joy
BHPian

Great travelogue, san. Bring it on. Waiting eagerly for more.

Does this permit is issued only from Dibrugarh or one can have it from Guwahati also.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Mr. HVK, sometimes I keep thinking what makes a man track condition of each and every road in the country; and each time I discover a new travelogue/track of yours, across some place in this country which very few have been; at least you have achieved something - you have seen this country in a way very few people have seen, and you are bringing it to light for a lot of other people. Kudos.

Sam, great start. Bring it on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Great travelogue, san. Bring it on. Waiting eagerly for more.

Does this permit is issued only from Dibrugarh or one can have it from Guwahati also.
Thanks guys.

Yes Manolin if we have any question hvk is the one to turn to given his vast experience all over the country.

Ofcourse Joy Inner Line can be made any where that has a Arunachal Govt liasion office. In Assam its in Guwahati, Tezpore and few other border areas(Location names i don't have presently) other than Dibrugarh.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:02   #38
BHPian

Her's a shot of a good reference book and operational area map on the Ledo road made by the Allied Army.

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-dsc01761.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-dsc01760.jpg
Old 19th August 2010, 12:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Sam & HVK,

Col J H Mayne
Sir, please share your experience in the area (As you said back then there were no motorable road beyond Walong). When were you posted here. If possible add some photographs as well.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 19th August 2010 at 12:15.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:56   #40
BHPian

Nam-pong, Arunachal Pradesh

So after that late drive in haste from Dibrugarh airport i arrived in Nampong amidst crowds of people as the cultural programme was in full swing at the festival ground on main road. I was totally lost as to where to go and meet the organisers whom i had contacted over email the previous night.

Once i found the organising commitee office they told me to wait for the contact person. Once he was there i was alloted a bed at a home stay arrangement nearby, but was told to have food at the fair grounds where verious tribes had opened their stalls.

When i came back to the taxi, the driver and his friend was nowhere in sight. So had to wait for them for a long time once more before driving into the frontyard of the homestay place.

A local boy who had accompanied me from fair grounds called for the lady of the house who showed me the room and toilet. The rooms bulb was however fused so the boy went off to fetch one and i bid my taxi guys farewell who however ruined my mood by demanding more money than what was agreed upon at the airport. They bugged so much that had to pay the extra just to get rid of them. So beware, if you take a taxi in Assam better make it a pre paid arrangement.

I was too tired for the night show so just freshend up a bit and went out to have dinner and make a call home. There was just one pco in sight with long que and got to inform my wife that i was well and alive after another long wait.

Then walked to the festival grounds looking for food. As i arrived late, most of the foodstolls had little stock. Still managed to get some smoked pork and rice made in bamboo from the Khampti stall. That however did not fill me so again went to the Nepali stall to get some momos.

After that it was just walking around looking at the crowd and then locating a special stall in the corner. An open air exclusive eatery of sort with fireplace in front and people sitting around with a glass each.

I approached and the lady owner asked by glass or bottle and i chose to go for the later to keep me company as well as warm. So i joined the group of people with a glass and had a little chat.

The day left behind was forgotten after some time and slowly i made my way back to the bed and bed only place. Sleep came easy that night.

And this is what i saw as i woke up next morning and saw the town in daylight for the first time.

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3204.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3205.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3206.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3207.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3208.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3209.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3210.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3211.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3212.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3213.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3214.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3215.jpg

Guwahati to Burma: Stillwell Road - Pangsau Pass-100_3216.jpg
Old 19th August 2010, 14:21   #41
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Which language script is that in the menu and the calendar?
Old 19th August 2010, 14:39   #42
BHPian

Kibithoo-a place to remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Sir, please share your experience in the area (As you said back then there were no motorable road beyond Walong). When were you posted here. If possible add some photographs as well.
Hi San,

I had three tenure in the East-1977 to 1980 (Agartala, Mizoram, Meghalaya and saw Sumrud Jhonkar (Bhutan) ), then from 1987-1989, Tinusukia-saw all of Arunachal that is Tuting, Along etc. Third tenure again in Dinjan 1991 to 1993 and this is when I went to Kibuthoo,Tezu, jairampur, Walong and the eastern most place of India, where no civilians are allowed -Dichu and a post bang on the border with our Eastern friends.
I have a few pics will try and scan and upload them.
Love to drive down again
Old 19th August 2010, 14:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Which language script is that in the menu and the calendar?
The script is in Tai Khampti. The Khampti can understand Thai and vise versa. The Khamptis maintain close ties with Thailand as could be made out from the following news.

Golden Pagoda inaugurated

DIBRUGARH, Feb 24, 2010 – The three dedication ceremonies of the newly-built majestic Golden Pagoda (Buddist Temple) – known as ‘Poi Lu Kongmu Kham’ in Tai-Khampti dialect concluded today with thousands of devotees of Lord Buddha from various parts of the country and abroad attending the religious ceremony.

Apart from around 200 monks who had come from the country and abroad from Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, etc., a lot of enthusiasm was witnessed among the local people who made a beeline to the venue situated at Tengapani in Lohit district of Arunachal Pradesh, according to a press release.

Thailand’s Ambassador to India, Krit Kraichitti along with his wife and a cultural and business delegation also attended the ceremony which was organised by Arunachal Pradesh PHE and Water Supply Minister Chowna Mein and his family. It may be mentioned that the Minister who had been representing Mahadevpur Assembly constituency since 1995 had spent a sum of around Rs 3 crore to build the Golden Pagoda and the complex in a three hectare plot provided by the State Government. Mein’s wife Sati Mein is also an MLA from Namsai constituency.

Addressing the huge gathering of monks, devotees and general public on the second day of the programme, Kraichitti said that the coming up of the Pagoda in such an interior place will extend India’s socio-cultural relationship with Thailand. He released a souvenir published on the occasion and also unveiled a Tai calendar during the ceremony.

Mein expressed his gratitude to Kraichitti and his entourage for visiting the place. Mein also expressed hope that now both the countries could further bolster ties in fields like tourism, cultural exchange, literature, etc.

Source:
Buddha & Asian antiques blog Arunachal Golden Pagoda dedicated to pilgrims

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 19th August 2010 at 15:02.
Old 19th August 2010, 15:12   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi San,

I had three tenure in the East-1977 to 1980 (Agartala, Mizoram, Meghalaya and saw Sumrud Jhonkar (Bhutan) ), then from 1987-1989, Tinusukia-saw all of Arunachal that is Tuting, Along etc. Third tenure again in Dinjan 1991 to 1993 and this is when I went to Kibuthoo,Tezu, jairampur, Walong and the eastern most place of India, where no civilians are allowed -Dichu and a post bang on the border with our Eastern friends.
I have a few pics will try and scan and upload them.
Love to drive down again
Thank you sir i was just one year old when you came to the region first. Was in the NCC and did sit in the IMA entrance exam but could not make it.

Dinjan is always in the news as most CI Ops in Upper Assam & eastern Arunachal are commanded from here. Did you see through Op Rhino by the way.

I hope to visit the border in this sector some day as its still out of the tourist loop unlike Nathu la in Sikkim.
Old 19th August 2010, 15:29   #45
Senior - BHPian

Col,
Now the road runs beyond Walong till Kibithu 15 kms away. They are extending the road 5 more kms to the Chinese border post itself, and that should be over soon.

Roads are good - except during monsoons when access to Kibithu is not possible - and for rest of the time you have tarred road till Kibithu, although you can expect mud sections and bad roads from time to time on the road from Parashuram Kund to Kibithu..

Sam,
Here is a picture of me (R) and my Scorpio at the Kibithu Helipad:

You will be granted permits for Kibithu at Mohanbari

Last edited by hvkumar : 19th August 2010 at 15:31.

Most Viewed