Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 14:50   #1
BHPian

Edinburghfringe 2010

hi ,
went to edinburgh over the last weekend for the fringe festival.Quite an interesting experience to say the least.Too many things happening and lovely weather to boot ...stayed in a b&b which was a bit away from the city as nothing else was available ,the whole city carried a very festive look and people were smiling at you which is rare and felt a bit strange .
IMO the highlights were the street performers and some of them were just brilliant and the fact that they got people involved in their acts ...
I dont like UK much but edinburgh as a city is certainly appealing and a wee bit different,definitely worth a visit if you are in UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Edinburghfringe 2010-dsc_0012.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-dsc_0017.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-dsc_0025.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-dsc_0069.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-dsc_0097.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-dsc_0106.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0406.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0410.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0414.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0413.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0415.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0417.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0420.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0424.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0426.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0436.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0440.jpg  

Edinburghfringe 2010-img_0448.jpg  

Old 20th August 2010, 15:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Wow!!! what was the theme on the street play? Pls post some more pics or is possible some videos for us. Tks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom
I dont like UK much
But why?
Old 20th August 2010, 15:25   #3
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. Ashishpallod, Longdrivelover, VRPrabhu and a few others are going to come back asking you about the photo showing swords and the portrait of Tipu Sultan. Better get your history brushed up
Old 20th August 2010, 15:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Hmm. Ashishpallod, Longdrivelover, VRPrabhu and a few others are going to come back asking you about the photo showing swords and the portrait of Tipu Sultan. Better get your history brushed up
I was typing those words about swords and Tipu Sultan and here your post.

British were the part of the gang who looted India and here is the proof in that pic.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:46   #5
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I was typing those words about swords and Tipu Sultan and here your post.

British were the part of the gang who looted India and here is the proof in that pic.

Taking a egalitarian view, I'd always say that one can't call spoils of war as loot AP.
British never looted India like other barbarians. They only took back spoils of war. That's the case with any empire which invaded and defeated others.
Only exception being the stupid rajputs who used to bestow the invaders with gold and riches after repeatedly defeating them, only for them to come back and behead all the rajputs when they eventually won.

Anyway, the main sword of Tipu has been bought in an Auction and got back to India by our great Vijay Mallya!
Old 20th August 2010, 16:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Taking a egalitarian view, I'd always say that one can't call spoils of war as loot AP.
British never looted India like other barbarians. They only took back spoils of war. That's the case with any empire which invaded and defeated others.
First, why British, Mughal and their ancestral gang invaded India?
Not to develop this land or contribute to make life here better.
First, on the name of trade, then winner of war, they looted India.

But thats the topic of other thread.

@TO,
please bring some more about mela at Edinburgh.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 20th August 2010 at 16:13.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow ..Nice pics!!
I lived in Glasgow for sometime and had visited the Edinburgh fort on a few occasions.
Scotland is indeed a very scenic and beautiful place
Old 20th August 2010, 17:13   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@AP that's a contentious issue over which my wife and I keep talking a lot. The East India company did come to trade. But then they grew in power because we were over 500 princely states which were warring amongst ourselves.
Many Indian kings joined hands with British who promised to fight with them against neighbouring kings.
That way one by one, they signed treaties and the company was happy to instigate people and join sides in war to keep their coffers filled up.
Finally with the revolt of 1857, they administration passed from the company to the Queen.
Look at countries ruled by the Brits. Though I hate to say this, I do see that most of them are better than India now.
What British looted from us is nothing. What our netas are looting is something to ponder upon.
And MPs are asking for 80K salary over above what they loot!
Common Wealth Games has taken Corruption to newer levels! Even the queen is flustered now.

@speedsatya. I was in Glasgow too. Loved that place. I loved scotland a lot. Better than London which I call the slum of Europe. So I'm also waiting for more posts here.

Last edited by MX6 : 20th August 2010 at 17:15.
Old 20th August 2010, 18:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Mughals did invade India, but still made it their home. It was not a pseudo home.
SO from that point, they can still be excused, but Bristish, had only a fister in India. They still ruled from London.

Sorry enough of OT. Scotland here you go..

One good thing I have noted in these countries is that the cultural life is a part and parcel of people's daily life.
In India, for many such things. we need to take a time-out from our daily routine and go to some place far-far away to witness it.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:19   #10
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Too much OT.
@ampere. If not for british, we'd still be 534 princely states.
Think about this, the person who told us about setting up a party to fight for the freedom struggle is actually a British - A. O. Hume.
And the some islamic people, who made India their home decided to ask for Independant Pakistan, both east and west.
Well, I've read a lot of Gandhian philosophy while in college. And have read some history from British perspective as well.
And many famous british people were born in India and still call it their home.
Rudyard Kipling, Ruskin Bond, Thad E Ginathom to name a few

I'm not supporting the British. But this fact can never be overlooked. If not for the British empire, we'd have lost most of our religious and cultural things to barbaric invasions.

We need to appreciate this fact as well. In that period the Brits ruled us, they also left some legacy behind and took some with them. Good, bad and ugly.

Anyway to cut the OT short, here's one of my favourite pic of Edinburgh.
Edinburghfringe 2010-imgp5480.jpg
Old 20th August 2010, 20:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Too much OT.
@ampere. If not for british, we'd still be 534 princely states.
Think about this, the person who told us about setting up a party to fight for the freedom struggle is actually a British - A. O. Hume.
And the some islamic people, who made India their home decided to ask for Independant Pakistan, both east and west.
Well, I've read a lot of Gandhian philosophy while in college. And have read some history from British perspective as well.
And many famous british people were born in India and still call it their home.
Rudyard Kipling, Ruskin Bond, Thad E Ginathom to name a few
@MX I was not pointing to that aspect at all. In fact, I have that same view myself. British did quite a lot of things,
which they thought would ease their rule. And we reaped that benefit; in fact in more ways than one.

I know this point would be raised that there many British folks who have lived their life in India and that too to the fullest.
I was merely alluding to the paradigms of cultural changes and how they have effected us through times.
Even Brits have been effected in many ways.

I guess discussions will continue.
Old 20th August 2010, 21:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

@tomtom,

arrey bhai, post some pics ASAP otherwise we will continue our discussion which will result into name change of this thread to '' British raj in India''.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
But thats the topic of other thread.
@TO,
please bring some more about mela at Edinburgh.
Quote:
Too much OT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I guess discussions will continue.
Old 20th August 2010, 22:39   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@AP, thread title will not change. If tomtom doesn't post pics, MX6 will start posting Edinburgh pics here, like the one already done
Old 21st August 2010, 00:41   #14
BHPian

I am hooked on to this thread , whenever my favorite people MX6 and AP start putting in their views and pictures I know its going to be a fun read .

BTW love the pictures . One day I wish to visit all these places .
Old 21st August 2010, 11:41   #15
BHPian

@ TomTom, nice pics keep them coming

That i suppose is Princess street in Edinburgh most of the acts happen there, The street was supposed to be closed for a while with the ongoing tram-network happening, no idea about it now though.
I lived in Livingston, a township near Edinburgh about 20 miles away for a year in 07-08
the fringe and the concurrently running Edinburgh military tattoo & hogmanay festivals are the best times to visit this golf-loving place.

more reading on fringe can be found below Edinburgh Festival Fringe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cheers!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks