Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:19   #1
BHPian

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)

Happened to travel from Mangalore to Bangalore by train via the Mighty and the Beautiful Western Ghats.
Thought of writting up a travelouge before the memories fade.

Ive been doing a lot of travelling between Mangalore and Bangalore over many many years but mostly at nights,
The beauty of Western Ghats is best enjoyed only during the day and especially in Monsoons like this one.

This is one place ive always had in my hotlist to trek. Never been able to do it so far though travelled enough.
The place is a host of many waterfalls as well, both small and big.
And Waterstreams are found just everywhere making it a perfect trekkers paradise.

The worst part was I missed clicking a lot of beautiful pics of the falls/streams/mountains etc
coz by the time i figured out the best angle thru the lense the view would be obsctructed by tall standing trees or the view wouldve gone.

Also, dont have the best of grears in clikcing while On the Move
However, for me this has been the most satisfying journey thru the ghats so far.

Will trek this for sure.
More pics once the Mods approve this thread.

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-1.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-2.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-3.jpg
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:11   #2
BHPian

Touching the clouds ..

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-4.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-5.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-6.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-7.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-8.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-9.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-10.jpg
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:38   #3
Team-BHP Support

What more can you ask?
Trains, Hills, Rain and Folks selling "chai-paani"!
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

When I looked at the title, for a moment I was afraid you are posting shots from Shiradi ghat road. That is probably the most boring of all the trails (can't call it road anyway) between Bangalore and the coast.

Fortunately, it is of the train route, which I hear is very beautiful. But I can't decide until I see it myself. Trouble with offroaders is that we get to see lot more beautiful terrain than the rest. Only a trekker can see better terrain than an offroader.
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When I looked at the title, for a moment I was afraid you are posting shots from Shiradi ghat road. That is probably the most boring of all the trails (can't call it road anyway) between Bangalore and the coast.

Fortunately, it is of the train route, which I hear is very beautiful. But I can't decide until I see it myself. Trouble with offroaders is that we get to see lot more beautiful terrain than the rest. Only a trekker can see better terrain than an offroader.
Had taken sakleshpur road recently. Really horrible!!! and yes trekkers get the best view. Longing to trek here...
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Finally, a travelogue on the famed 'Green Route'!!! Lovely pictures Mohsin. As you have said, there is nothing like doing a trek on this route. According to me, this would be one of the most picturesque train rides in India (if not the whole world).

Btw, how long did the train take to traverse the ghat section i.e. from Sakleshpur to Kukke Subramanya?

Quote:
...Trouble with offroaders is that we get to see lot more beautiful terrain than the rest. Only a trekker can see better terrain than an offroader.
True. Only a trekker can get an unspoilt view of nature (if there are still any left)
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:48   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Finally, a travelogue on the famed 'Green Route'!!! Lovely pictures Mohsin. As you have said, there is nothing like doing a trek on this route. According to me, this would be one of the most picturesque train rides in India (if not the whole world).

Btw, how long did the train take to traverse the ghat section i.e. from Sakleshpur to Kukke Subramanya?

True. Only a trekker can get an unspoilt view of nature (if there are still any left)
The ghat section lasted about 1hr 30 mins approx.. thanks to the slow moving train ..
The train stopped for 2-3mins at a couple of places in the ghats..for a while i thought i should get down and get more.. decided not to do it though!!!
Old 23rd August 2010, 15:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
The train stopped for 2-3mins at a couple of places in the ghats..for a while i thought i should get down and get more.. decided not to do it though!!!
Well, your wish for trekking would have become a reality.
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Well, your wish for trekking would have become a reality.
Actually I had to convince wifey that i would not be taking any risks while clicking especially at the doors.. if she only knew the way i was clicking, i would not have had even half the pics im posting.. leave alone getting down and taking pics ...
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:25   #10
BHPian

Over the Bridge ..

Bridges thru the ghats were really fun ...
You would love to be standing at the door whenever the train went over a bridge.
The stretch between kukke subsramania and sakleshpur offers many amazing bridges below which are generally waterstreams. I always wished to be at the streams whenever i saw one..

The stretch offers a number of tunnels also..

Over the bridge into the tunnel
Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-12.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-59.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-11_overthebridge.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-13.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-14.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-15.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-16.jpg

Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-dsc03214.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Mangalore -> Bangalore via Sakleshpur (Train)-16_overthebridge.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 16:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
The train stopped for 2-3mins at a couple of places in the ghats..
For engineering safety reasons in ghat sections, these halts for a couple of minutes are followed :

Mandatory brake halts are carried out for checking brake power before the next gradient. This kind of halt is also carried out at the top of a gradient to ensure control.

Timed signals are provided at certain gradients that turn green only after the train stops for the specified duration.

Auto emergency brake system is activated in ghat sections that stops a train if the speed shoots above a specified / designated value.
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
For engineering safety reasons in ghat sections, these halts for a couple of minutes are followed :

Mandatory brake halts are carried out for checking brake power before the next gradient. This kind of halt is also carried out at the top of a gradient to ensure control.

Timed signals are provided at certain gradients that turn green only after the train stops for the specified duration.

Auto emergency brake system is activated in ghat sections that stops a train if the speed shoots above a specified / designated value.
Good Stuff!!! not many would be aware of these including me
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The ghat section lasted about 1hr 30 mins approx.. thanks to the slow moving train ..
There are 4 stations in the ghats. Donigal, Kadagaravalli, Yedakumari and Shribagilu. You might have also passed a couple of goods trains at one of these stations. AFAIK, one passing is done at Yedakumari station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post

Good info roamingrao!! I never knew there were so many safety procedures.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 23rd August 2010 at 16:50.
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:01   #14
BHPian

Bulls eye addy !! recalling these names now..
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:42   #15
Team-BHP Support

I am planning this train for a long time!
Lets see when it materializes.

Most Viewed